Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #9921
Stazon Splitcoast

We ended up with about 4 inches of snow yesterday. The plows were busy at work last night. Around 10 pm the Association plow still hadn't come to do the driveways. So I went out and started shoveling it myself. I hate it when it gets all packed down and icy with the tire treads, and I knew Steve would be out early to head down to Bloomington. Wouldn't you know I'm about 3/4 done when he shows up on my street. I waved him on and finished it up by hand, since I was almost done. For two reasons: one, Shadow was lying in the driveway and two, I like the cleaner scraped finish with a shovel. With a plow the driveway is still "white" because they just can't get down that close.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #9922
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post

Ahhh no school PH! Nice!!!!
No, no -- we had wanted the 2 hour delay so she'd get paid for 2 free hours...
Old 12-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #9923
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Actually, both! He starts at OSU in January! He will be continuing his work toward an Electrical Engineering degree.

Good for him! Although Penn State and Ohio State are HUGE rivals...
Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #9924
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Actually, both! He starts at OSU in January! He will be continuing his work toward an Electrical Engineering degree.
Yay for him!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #9925
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
No, no -- we had wanted the 2 hour delay so she'd get paid for 2 free hours...
You remembered.

Meh, it's OK. This lowers my risk of getting sick before Christmas. LOL
Old 12-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #9926
Band Mom

If the past tense of "light" is "lit", then why isn't the past tense of "highlight" "highlit"?

Silly English language.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #9927
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
PH, I hope you get a two hour delay!!!!

My mom is a bit worried. She has a colonoscopy Monday. She has to do the prep Sunday. She said, what if she does the prep and then the weather is so bad, it gets cancelled. lol

I suggested she just not worry about that. It's only one mile away and she's been told the van will be there to take her.
Oh. Hugs to your Mom, Wrose. Well... very very gentle hugs if she's having a colonoscopy.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #9928

Quote:
This new Pope you Catholics have got, is quite the rebel! Why, Rush Limbaugh called him a Marxist!

Anybody Rush doesn't like, I automatically like.
Why is it that anyone who thinks something besides the free market should play a role in the shaping of society is a Marxist?

Profit incentives can work just as easily to motivate a drug dealer, dismantling worker safety or Bernie Madoff's approach to investment ponzi schemes as they can a Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. It's our ethics and values that direct WHAT we think profit motives should reward.

I don't think believing that something besides raw profit matters makes anyone a Marxist. Calling Francis a Marxist just makes Limbaugh look like a really bad historian with no grasp of political schools of thought. Oh wait...
Old 12-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #9929

Quote:
Well, I didn't have fabric glue in the house and it was 15 degrees out. So no trip to the store was in the cards.

So I started sewing buttons and a ribbon zig-zagging on the tree like a garland. I watched four Michael Palin Himalaya episodes in a row last night (cable chnl 371 I think) and I'm probably only half done. I'll work on it tonight also.

Dept lunch is Thursday. I think the expectation is that you wear it to work and to the lunch. So people can get some yuks making fun of it. I might just change in to it in the restroom before lunch.

Now I am wondering if I should stamp some blue snowflakes in the sky?
PICTURES!!! We need PICTURES!!!

It sounds awesome.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #9930

Quote:
Fun!!

I rescued a lab yesterday too -- really!

I was walking Shadow in the afternoon, about 2 blocks from home but still in the townhouse complex. Saw a yellow lab puppy running loose (found out later 4 months old, maybe 30-40 lbs), sniffing all the yards, running back and forth across the street. I didn't know any labs in the neighborhood and I know everyone with a dog.

Now, we don't get a huge amount of traffic back here but sooner or later that cute thing was going to get hit by a car. Plus it was dang cold out.

So I went up and she and Shadow sniffed and were friendly. So I started going back home and kinda encouraged her to follow us, which she did happily - very friendly. Very fancy pink collar and one of those electric fence boxes around her neck so I knew she wasn't a stray.

We got home and she was actually pushing ahead of us to get inside. No problem getting her in to the house. She rushed around, ate Shadows food - he stood in mute amazement. Gets up on her hind legs and pulls a loaf of bread from the counter, rips through the plastic bag and starts to devour it. Now Shadow wants some too. So they both lie down and inhale the bread. Then she gets up and she gets in to the broom closet like Shadow did and starts eating from the milkbone box!! Now I'm laughing but this puppy is a holy terror. Plus at that point Shadow growled.

So I pull the puppy in to the garage, put out a bowl of water & food for it in the garage. To separate the dogs so a fight doesn't erupt with poor old Shadow being threatened by the brash young imposter. I get a phone number from the tag on the collar (dogs name was Aspen). Call it, no answer.

Wait a while, call again. Still no answer, I leave a message. About 10 minutes later I get a call back. I asked them to describe their dog (just to be sure) and they did. So they came over and got it. Said this was not the first time she escaped. I told them I was worried she would be hit, they thanked me.
After they left I looked the address (it was on the tag) up on mapquest. Maybe a 1/2 mile from here -- in the multi-million dollar home development. There are some pretty high end homes by me. Unfortunately I'm not in one of them. Anyway that explained the fancy collar and that they could afford the electric fencing. Plus in that neighborhood I think wood fencing would be very frowned upon, LOL

But obviously they have to do something if the sweet little thing keeps escaping. She was a friendly girl! Maybe they should stake her out on a swivel chain when they put her in the yard, since she busts right through the electric fence.
Oh Marge! How sweet of you! And funny up to the point when Shadow started growling.

She sounds like a handful--and I agree, if electric fence isn't working, they're going to have to look into something else. I've never been a big fan of electric fences for just that reason--if dog gets out, she doesn't have much reason to shock herself running back in. Plus while the fence may keep a well trained dog IN, it doesn't keep other animals OUT--so too easy for another stray animal to get in and cause a situation such as the dog in the yard chasing after a stray cat and tearing through the fence.

It was lovely of you to go out of your way to take care of her, though.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #9931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishrose View Post
Marge, I don't think anything you make could be ugly so good luck with the sweater! I loved reading about Shadow and the stray pup.
Hi ERK! How are you all doing? Where are you? How's the trip going? I've loved the updates on FB!!! Has DH shaved yet?
Englishrose likes this post.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #9932

Quote:
BFF Leona is on a very tight budget and was asking if there was anything she could craft for small Christmas gifts for various and sundry people that weren't on the "big gift" list.

I thought of all the tumbled marble tiles (4x4 I think) that are piled in my craft room. Don't think I've touched them in 8 or 9 years except to move them, and then after the flood to dry them off. So I suggested the coasters where you ModPodge a thin napkin and then coat it with polyurethane. I showed her some lovely images online and she liked the idea. Plus I have a MASSIVE stash of pretty napkins in wonderful designs so that will save her money too. Also I have pretty tissue papers that should work also. And I have the E-6000 glue already to glue felt or cork feet the them.

She is coming over next Sunday to make them. Or at least step 1 so they can dry. Neighbor Susan (forever known as Mary-Susan to Jane) is having a brunch that day for her new friends since she moved here (walker ladies, some people from her work too). So after brunch we'll decoupage napkins on to tiles!

So later today I'll run to JoAnn's and get some felt or cork feet and an extra bottle of ModPodge (mine is half empty and want to be sure that once we start we can finish uninterrupted). Not sure when the polyurethane will go on, 3 coats recommended and of course drying in between. Hope she can come over after work maybe at least to do one of the coats. If not I guess I can finish them for her.

Leona is always so busy, especially with her Dad, taking him to the doctor's, grocery shopping, going over almost every night to eat dinner with him since her mom died about 3 years ago -- plus she works 2 jobs (day job at a small Chinese mortgage company where she has been a temp receptionist for a couple years now and evenings teaching Chinese to private students) that she is a "last minute" type of gal. After next Sunday, there is really only one weekend left till Christmas, aarrgghhh.....
What a cool idea! Please give both Leona and Mary hugs for me! I've had so much fun telling my friends up here about my midwestern vacation!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #9933

Quote:
I finished my Christmas letter and tags yesterday -- envelopes are addressed, sealed, postage-stamped and ready to be mailed!
I've got my Official Dreaded Holiday Letter written and photo cards made and addressed. Off to visit the local Office Max to find fun paper and have it printed later this morning. No handmade cards this year but I'm really happy with how the photo cards turned out.

I'm waiting for Enterprise to come and get me so I can rent a car and explore Anchorage for the day. Was going to drive down to Whittier at the top of Kenai peninsula today (NOT crossing the mountains--it's been above freezing then icy, so lots of slush, black ice and miserable road conditions up here) but looks like I'll go tomorrow instead when the weather's better. Museums today--including the new Jewish museum in Anchorage that just opened last year!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #9934

Quote:
OK, so around Halloween I posted a photo of my immediate dept at work, and I am clearly the oldest person in it --

So on Friday I was feeling overwhelmed about the number of features spread across 3 different web sites that I had to finish analyzing & writing requirements for during December, so that they could be developed in 1Q 2014.

I made a comment that "I just don't have enough cycles..."
Two of the under-30 ladies just looked at me very puzzled. What do you mean?
So I explained.
They said, "Oh you mean that you don't have enough bandwidth..."

I thought what I said was a very common phrase. Then it dawned on me, cycles harkens to mechanical engineering; bandwidth harkens to digital engineering. They grew up in the digital age.

Actually I'm always saying stuff they don't get, it has become a bit of a running joke. Once I said someone was making a "tempest out of a teapot" and not one single person out of about 10-12 who heard it had any clue what I meant.

So I sent everyone the definition afterwards about the tempest/teapot origins and now it is the standing department joke in a way.

I guess there really is a generational difference...
That's hilarious!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #9935
Band Mom

This is hilarious.
Jimmy Kimmel Reminds Viewers Just How Sensitive Los Angeles Reporters Are To 'Cold' Weather (Video) - TheWrap
Old 12-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #9936
neglecting the kids and housework

Hey all
So happy to be back at work today! And I was missed! Even got a big cozy hug from one of the sales guys who is like a brother. A brother I have naughty dreams about LOL

It's nice to be missed. And I didn't have horrible piles of stuff to come back to. Always better to be sick at the end of the week
Stampin Wrose likes this post.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #9937
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:
Good for him! Although Penn State and Ohio State are HUGE rivals...
Yeah. He's not super into that stuff.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Old 12-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #9938

Glad you're feeling better. Poor DH has a cold but mostly a bad cough. He's doing a little better today.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #9939

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
You remembered.

Meh, it's OK. This lowers my risk of getting sick before Christmas. LOL
I had a feeling you wouldn't mind, even if you could have gotten two hours free pay if you'd been delayed!

Old 12-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #9940

Quote:
If the past tense of "light" is "lit", then why isn't the past tense of "highlight" "highlit"?

Silly English language.
Yup. I have often heard the phrase, "That's pretty ugly." But I've never heard the phrase, "That's pretty pretty."

PH in VA likes this post.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #9941

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
Oh. Hugs to your Mom, Wrose. Well... very very gentle hugs if she's having a colonoscopy.
All done, went well. Thanks.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #9942

It's not that it never gets this cold. It's just that it doesn't stay this cold for this long with freezing overnight so many nights. In my years here, most winters we might get down to freezing once or twice for like a night. We will get into the mid 30s sometimes, overnight, but this is just prolonged.

And most people don't have the clothes!!! They've been interviewing people here and they're in some pretty winter coat that's fine for the 40s.... Or they have a coat that's hanging open, no scarf or gloves, no hats..... lol They are so silly.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #9943
Band Mom

Quote:
I had a feeling you wouldn't mind, even if you could have gotten two hours free pay if you'd been delayed!
The school secretary called me today to find out if I could sub tomorrow afternoon for one of the aides. (At least, to the best of my knowledge, she's considered an aide and not a teacher - which does make a difference in my compensation. )

Of course, the weather forecast for tomorrow morning is calling for up to 5 inches of snow, with the heaviest snowfall between 7:00 and 9:00 a.m.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #9944
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all. we arrived at the in laws in north FL this afternoon and are here until at least 30th Dec. DH now wants to stay until 4th Jan as those first 4 days in our Disney campsite are about $115 each and here is free. We'll see. That would be nearly 4 weeks......
Old 12-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #9945
Stazon Splitcoast

It's hot and humid but is supposed to cool down some tomorrow so hopefully that will improve. Now down to the business of Christmas. We need to take a picture and have it made into cards asap! The boys have very short lists so it's going to be hard. DS1 wants a couple of video games, DS2 wants a fishing rod. We want to try and get them smallish backpacks for hiking and city walking to they can carry their own water bottles, a small clipboard and pencil for drawing, notes and leaning on when doing Junior Ranger programs. On the outside we want to sew or pin their patches/badges. We'll probably also get a couple of books for Kindle. Other than that, no ideas.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #9946
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
It's hot and humid but is supposed to cool down some tomorrow so hopefully that will improve. Now down to the business of Christmas. We need to take a picture and have it made into cards asap! The boys have very short lists so it's going to be hard. DS1 wants a couple of video games, DS2 wants a fishing rod. We want to try and get them smallish backpacks for hiking and city walking to they can carry their own water bottles, a small clipboard and pencil for drawing, notes and leaning on when doing Junior Ranger programs. On the outside we want to sew or pin their patches/badges. We'll probably also get a couple of books for Kindle. Other than that, no ideas.
Maybe an "IOU" of sorts of $10 (or whatever amount) that they can spend on some sort of souvenir in each big city you go to? Emphasis on something unique to the region, not kitschy touristy crap. Or a book or map or something like that from key places you visit. Basically, pocket money to spend on your travels.
PH in VA and muddy otter like this post.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #9947
Stazon Splitcoast

Well I got a little decorating done tonight. Got the mantel decked out, put out some other arrangements, changed the dining room table (it still had the T-giving bittersweet on it).

Not sure I feel motivated to do much more. Really don't feel like putting the tree up. I don't think my sister from NY will be visiting this year; I told her I only have a few days off (not the whole week like usual) because I want to carry over some vacation in case I go to Europe next year. I imagine I'll be hosting Christmas dinner with Leona's family again though, so I wanted to put out a little something.

I think T-giving and Xmas are just too darn close together this year --
Old 12-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #9948
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Of course, the weather forecast for tomorrow morning is calling for up to 5 inches of snow, with the heaviest snowfall between 7:00 and 9:00 a.m.

Wow...
Old 12-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #9949
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamper View Post
Hey all
So happy to be back at work today! And I was missed! Even got a big cozy hug from one of the sales guys who is like a brother. A brother I have naughty dreams about LOL

It's nice to be missed. And I didn't have horrible piles of stuff to come back to. Always better to be sick at the end of the week
LOL...and glad you are back among the living.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #9950
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
I've got my Official Dreaded Holiday Letter written and photo cards made and addressed. Off to visit the local Office Max to find fun paper and have it printed later this morning. No handmade cards this year but I'm really happy with how the photo cards turned out.

I'm waiting for Enterprise to come and get me so I can rent a car and explore Anchorage for the day. Was going to drive down to Whittier at the top of Kenai peninsula today (NOT crossing the mountains--it's been above freezing then icy, so lots of slush, black ice and miserable road conditions up here) but looks like I'll go tomorrow instead when the weather's better. Museums today--including the new Jewish museum in Anchorage that just opened last year!

Yay for OfficeMax.
Stay safe and enjoy the sightseeing.
I do have to say, a Jewish museum in Anchorage???
And you will get a kick out of this -- I am getting spam email from JDate -- too funny
Old 12-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #9951
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Maybe an "IOU" of sorts of $10 (or whatever amount) that they can spend on some sort of souvenir in each big city you go to? Emphasis on something unique to the region, not kitschy touristy crap. Or a book or map or something like that from key places you visit. Basically, pocket money to spend on your travels.
That's a good idea. We have national parks covered with the patches but I'm sure we'll be able to find small unique things where we go. They already know there is no room for kitsch crap!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #9952
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and did you know there is a Jazz national historical park. It's in New Orleans and basically educates about the history of jazz in New Orleans and beyond. They also do performances and walks in the area. It was actually very interesting.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #9953
Stazon Splitcoast

Just got back from giving Shadow his bedtime walk.It is 1 degree -- yes, one -- out there.
This is deep freeze January weather. Not early December!!
If the whole winter is going to be like this, I am dreading it....
Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #9954
Stazon Splitcoast

Maybe winter is just early. We're not heading north until March so the earlier it warms up the better for us.
Stampin Wrose likes this post.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #9955
Band Mom

So weather.com likes to add in teasers for videos that they consider to be AMAZING or STUNNING or just really something YOU HAVE TO SEE. Like there's one showing a landscape of white ground that says "That's Not Snow... it's SPIDERS". (No, Wrose, I haven't looked, and I don't think you want to either.)

Anyway, there's been one tonight of "4 of the WEIRDEST Buildings in the U.S." - and the photo they show for it is of the Longaberger home office. Which looks like this:

It made me chuckle. I've been in there!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #9956
Band Mom

Quote:
Hi all. we arrived at the in laws in north FL this afternoon and are here until at least 30th Dec. DH now wants to stay until 4th Jan as those first 4 days in our Disney campsite are about $115 each and here is free. We'll see. That would be nearly 4 weeks......
Four weeks is a long time.

On the other hand, the next time you'd see them would be when? Will you see them again before you return to England?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #9957
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
So weather.com likes to add in teasers for videos that they consider to be AMAZING or STUNNING or just really something YOU HAVE TO SEE. Like there's one showing a landscape of white ground that says "That's Not Snow... it's SPIDERS". (No, Wrose, I haven't looked, and I don't think you want to either.)

Anyway, there's been one tonight of "4 of the WEIRDEST Buildings in the U.S." - and the photo they show for it is of the Longaberger home office. Which looks like this:

It made me chuckle. I've been in there!
I'd have to agree, that is weird.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #9958
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Four weeks is a long time.

On the other hand, the next time you'd see them would be when? Will you see them again before you return to England?
Well, he's talking about stopping back in on our way north for another week. We shall see. I must say this is the first time I've been here and been able to have a glass of wine. We're in Harvey! And the wine and DH's beer are purely to cool us down. Not that hot (71) but humidity is about 97%. We have the windows open but because we're not on a hookup here, obviously, we can't run the a/c. We do have electric hooked up to the house but it's not enough for a/c.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #9959
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmm and DH is now giggling at an ad on the Smithsonian channel for some weird massage goggles......OK I'm giggling too!
Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #9960

Quote:
The school secretary called me today to find out if I could sub tomorrow afternoon for one of the aides. (At least, to the best of my knowledge, she's considered an aide and not a teacher - which does make a difference in my compensation. )

I did hear that snow was coming on top of the ice in some places.

And we aren't going to get any warmer til at least Thursday.

Right now, our Sat. forecast says we'll have a high of 63 and low of 43. That's a much more average normal winter day here.