Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #561
Stazon Splitcoast

Ah I missed a chat fest! Jenn Josh is a little better. Stitches are out but he still hobbles and needs a lot of extra help. He over did it yesterday too! Jami Copper is a Coon Hound! And escaped through a hole in the fence yesterday! Hence why Josh over did it he felt he had to fix it instead of calling my dad for help! Thanks the neighbors Copper got back in fast and safe after his escape attempt! We were out late buying wood we had to leave town to get it! Stupid small towns!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #562
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJStamper View Post
What a great thing to teach them at a young age!

Hopefully they are getting it at home but we are going to talk money savings, coupons and where dad's pay goes. I figure they can brainstorm the money-saving ideas (turn off lights, close door when heat/AC is on, etc.)

I picked up 15 grocery store flyers today. I'm going to print some coupons and have them figure out what the cost will be after the coupon is used and we can add up what we would have saved using the coupons. I'm going to grill burgers here tonight and stop on my way to pick up a McD burger, something comparable in size to a homemade one, not just a cheeseburger.

I'm going to bring 7,500 in Monopoly money and we are going to take off for insurance, auto, home, utilities, etc. It will give them an idea of where it all goes and why it needs to be used wisely and saved up for the big things.

Of course, the importance of tithing. Should be kind of fun, given the topic isn't so fun.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #563
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrd View Post
Um, yeah, that is a lot to take on. Roughly how many people are you planning for?

Looks like we'll have 25-30. Originally I pictured it bigger because my aunt and uncle always had a lot of friends and he has been active in the Elks forever, but sadly when you are 90 there just aren't a lot of friends left...even though many of his friends were younger than him. It will be a nice size though and we can do a nice menu. I think I'm going to go with an hors d'ouvres buffet. I need to figure out centerpieces, party favors...maybe some entertainment. Plus we are going to do a slide show which is a huge undertakinng since I have about 60-70 years worth of photos albums to go through. Oh and I need to figure out where I'm going to order the cake.

I want to show you guys the invite I made on Shutterfly but I can't figure out how to do it right now.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM   #564
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryp View Post
Ca-raaazzzzyyyy that you're having to be workin' on this now, when it's all holiday, all the time.

I'm really glad that you got your venue handled, & that they have on- catering to help you out.

I have ZERO Christmas shopping done. Does that make you feel any better?

BIG, BIG {{HUGS}}
Thanks Mary.

I've known for a year that I was going to give this party, but I just wasn't able to wrap my head around exactly what to do and then I got all caught up in the wedding...so I'm just really behind. I'm trying to do as much Christmas shopping on line as possible. Oh and stupid me decided that this would be the one and only year I teach a stamp class in December...so I have a class next week. I wanted to use the gift card set I designed for TE so it just had to be before Christmas!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #565
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami View Post
Looks like we'll have 25-30. Originally I pictured it bigger because my aunt and uncle always had a lot of friends and he has been active in the Elks forever, but sadly when you are 90 there just aren't a lot of friends left...even though many of his friends were younger than him. It will be a nice size though and we can do a nice menu. I think I'm going to go with an hors d'ouvres buffet. I need to figure out centerpieces, party favors...maybe some entertainment. Plus we are going to do a slide show which is a huge undertakinng since I have about 60-70 years worth of photos albums to go through. Oh and I need to figure out where I'm going to order the cake.

I want to show you guys the invite I made on Shutterfly but I can't figure out how to do it right now.
The number of people doesn't seem too bad. I always find it a bit challenging to come up with the favors. Is there a theme?

You're right about the slide show being a huge undertaking but what an awesome project to do. The stories that will be shared at that event as people remember or learn for the first time of things they didn't know. I think it will be a fun time.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #566
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Yikes!

Every year I say I am going to make the next Christmas season less stressful...hasn't happened yet. This year though I will be home and I have basically finished shopping and given my gifts already to my family so maybe it will be less hectic.

I do the same thing and I swear I am more behind than ever! I used to start Christmas shopping in August and have my cards done in October. Speaking of cards...the btach I worked on Saturday is still sitting on the table in the same state as when you guys left.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #567
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Hopefully they are getting it at home but we are going to talk money savings, coupons and where dad's pay goes. I figure they can brainstorm the money-saving ideas (turn off lights, close door when heat/AC is on, etc.)

I picked up 15 grocery store flyers today. I'm going to print some coupons and have them figure out what the cost will be after the coupon is used and we can add up what we would have saved using the coupons. I'm going to grill burgers here tonight and stop on my way to pick up a McD burger, something comparable in size to a homemade one, not just a cheeseburger.

I'm going to bring 7,500 in Monopoly money and we are going to take off for insurance, auto, home, utilities, etc. It will give them an idea of where it all goes and why it needs to be used wisely and saved up for the big things.

Of course, the importance of tithing. Should be kind of fun, given the topic isn't so fun.

That is wonderful to teach kids - especially if you can make it fun.

I've heard some parents make their kids pay "taxes" out of their allowances. They put the tax in a jar and it gets used at the end of the year for something for the family - to teach that taxes are used for community good.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #568
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
The number of people doesn't seem too bad. I always find it a bit challenging to come up with the favors. Is there a theme?

You're right about the slide show being a huge undertaking but what an awesome project to do. The stories that will be shared at that event as people remember or learn for the first time of things they didn't know. I think it will be a fun time.

I learned something just last night about my uncle's parents. I lived with my aunt and uncle from the time I was 2 until I was 27 (with the exception of 2 years at college) and I never realized the things I didn't know! LOL!

I'm still trying to figure out the theme and color scheme. It's harder for me since it's masculine. The invites are in the form of the front page of a newspaper so I'm thinking I might go with some sort of "news" theme and the colors red/black/white which always look striking.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #569
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Kel has slacked off on going to the meetings for the past month or so...she says it's closer to 2 months, but I don't think it's quite that long.
Anyway, she was sick at one point & not up to going to the meeting, plus Jeff & Kim were slacking too...either not going, or only going for the weigh-in & not staying for the meetings. Considering that Kel was traveling a good little distance to meet them @ their meeting location, she
got kinda bummed & ticked about it, so she's been skipping the meetings lately. She decided to find meetings closer to us & found out there's a place that has daily meetings, actually sometimes 3X a day, & it's really pretty close to our house. She just needs to get herself to one there. Probably this week. That way she can get herself back in a groove & also get the new point-figure-outer-thingy too.
It's frustrating when you plan around someone else and then they slack off. In the long run she'll be better off if she finds meetings close by that she likes and develops the discipline of just going on her own. It can be hard at first though.

I really want to get back to it and I want to learn the new stuff while it's fresh and everyone is learning it, but I just can't see it happening this month.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #570
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonTigg View Post
Ah I missed a chat fest! Jenn Josh is a little better. Stitches are out but he still hobbles and needs a lot of extra help. He over did it yesterday too! Jami Copper is a Coon Hound! And escaped through a hole in the fence yesterday! Hence why Josh over did it he felt he had to fix it instead of calling my dad for help! Thanks the neighbors Copper got back in fast and safe after his escape attempt! We were out late buying wood we had to leave town to get it! Stupid small towns!

I'm glad you found Cooper and got him back quickly! I've heard that coon hounds are really smart and good dogs.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #571
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Gotta run. Need to get showered and out - have to get groceries before a hair appointment this afternoon.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #572
Postapalooza Princess

Quote:
Oh Jen!

I don't know the deets, but I'm so sorry that you had so much drama & sadness with your family over theThanksgiving holiday. It shouldn't have to be that way.

VERY BIG {{{{HUGS}}}}
Thanks. It was not fun.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #573
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami View Post
I'm glad you found Cooper and got him back quickly! I've heard that coon hounds are really smart and good dogs.
I love him! It is going to be hard to let him go!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #574
Postapalooza Mama

From my sister...A beautiful day in the neighborhood.

https://cid-637901ad29cc128d.photos.....Notifications

I hope this link works. These are Jacaranda trees, in full bloom all over the neighborhoods around where she lives in Australia.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #575
Postapalooza Princess

Mary, I can't view it, but I am sure it is just gorgeous!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #576
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
Mary, I can't view it, but I am sure it is just gorgeous!

Oh bummer!
Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #577
Postapalooza Mama

Hi Jen~

How you doin'?

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!! It's pretty cold here.

Anything happening with the blind dates?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #578
Postapalooza Princess

Quote:
Hi Jen~

How you doin'?

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!! It's pretty cold here.

Anything happening with the blind dates?
Haven't gotten any calls yet.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #579
Postapalooza Princess

It is cold for us here. I finally turned on my wall heater last night for about 10 min just to take the chill out of the air...it set off the smoke alarm.

I mean it was 70 here today so not cold, but the nights have been cold.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #580
Postapalooza Princess

My SCS time has been off since the time change. Do I need to do something to make it right?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #581
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
Haven't gotten any calls yet.
Bummer.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #582
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
It is cold for us here. I finally turned on my wall heater last night for about 10 min just to take the chill out of the air...it set off the smoke alarm.

I mean it was 70 here today so not cold, but the nights have been cold.
We were able to hold off using the heat thru a good part of November, so I consider us lucky. But it got pretty dang cold on Thanksgiving & has stayed that way so far this week, including some single digit wind chills.

You must be talking about California cold, huh?

Why did your wall heater set off the smoke alarm? I think I'm not familiar with that kind of heater.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #583
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
My SCS time has been off since the time change. Do I need to do something to make it right?
The daylight savings time change made the time thingy on SCS wonky for awhile. Eventually the time got to be right for me, but I know some people had to change a setting...maybe check your profile page, down
towards the bottom.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #584
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
The daylight savings time change made the time thingy on SCS wonky for awhile. Eventually the time got to be right for me, but I know some people had to change a setting...maybe check your profile page, down towards the bottom.
Nope...that's not right. I checked my profile page & there wasn't anything for times, but I know I saw something like that at some point. Let me see
what I can find. I think there might've been a thread about it in Site Suggestions or somethin'.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #585
Postapalooza Princess

Quote:
We were able to hold off using the heat thru a good part of November, so I consider us lucky. But it got pretty dang cold on Thanksgiving & has stayed that way so far this week, including some single digit wind chills.

You must be talking about California cold, huh?

Why did your wall heater set off the smoke alarm? I think I'm not familiar with that kind of heater.
I was in IL on Thanksgiving and I kept telling my dad that my room was freezing cold, but both parents thought I was just being CA wimpy--turned out the top part of the window came down so the window was "open" causing it to be super cold in there!

The heater set off the smoke alarm because I rarely use it so when I first turn it on for the year it burns the dust inside...setting off the smoke alarm.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #586
Postapalooza Princess

Quote:
Bummer.
I am not too worried.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #587
Postapalooza Princess

Quote:
Nope...that's not right. I checked my profile page & there wasn't anything for times, but I know I saw something like that at some point. Let me see
what I can find. I think there might've been a thread about it in Site Suggestions or somethin'.
Thanks for looking. I will check it out tomorrow when I have time.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #588
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
Here ya go...scroll down to Lydia's post #16...

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...e-t511354.html
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #589
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
I was in IL on Thanksgiving and I kept telling my dad that my room was freezing cold, but both parents thought I was just being CA wimpy--turned out the top part of the window came down so the window was "open" causing it to be super cold in there!

The heater set off the smoke alarm because I rarely use it so when I first turn it on for the year it burns the dust inside...setting off the smoke alarm.
Aha! I thought you were here for Thanksgiving, so I figured you could relate to how flippin' cold it was. Sorry your bedroom was open then.
BRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!! {{HUGS}}

*makes a note about dust in a wall heater possibly setting off the smoke alarm*
Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #590
Postapalooza Mama

Thumbs up

Quote:
I am not too worried.
That's a good attitude. Those guys don't know what they're missing!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #591
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
Here ya go...scroll down to Lydia's post #16...

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...e-t511354.html
If that alone doesn't fix it for you, scroll down to her post #32.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #592
Postapalooza Princess

Quote:
If that alone doesn't fix it for you, scroll down to her post #32.
Sweet!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #593
Postapalooza Princess

Quote:
That's a good attitude. Those guys don't know what they're missing!
hahaha. So true.

I mean how many guys get to date someone who has gone to the olympics on the trapeze????

And with my luck they will both call at the same time...I don't know how to handle one guy much less two

Last edited by JJStamper; 12-01-2010 at 11:42 PM..
Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #594
Postapalooza Princess

I don't know what the deal is...I am in the right timezone and have time change option on. Oh well.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #595
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
Sweet!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #596
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
hahaha. So true.

I mean how many guys get to date someone who has gone to the olympics on the trapeze???? True story.

And with my luck they will both call at the same time...I don't know how to handle one guy much less two

You'll figure it out.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #597
Postapalooza Princess

Quote:
You'll figure it out.
You make me laugh
Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #598
Postapalooza Princess

Got a new Christmas CD as a Christmas present. Listening to it right now.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #599
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:
I don't know what the deal is...I am in the right timezone and have time change option on. Oh well.
Make sure you have "automatically detect DST" checked.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #600
Postapalooza Princess

Quote:
Make sure you have "automatically detect DST" checked.
Nope I don't. I think I am just going to switch it to a time zone that I don't live in to get the time right.