Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 09-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #2081
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I am,

I had seen Leigh Anne's hubs had posted on FB they were going to shelter in place in Orlando, but I have not turned it on today to see if there were any updates from them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 09-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #2082
CBC Lady Violet

Oh good to hear - I have been wondering about LA. She is the only one of the chickies that I know of that is in FL.

Spent a busy few days helping lilbro's family get settled in. Baking and cooking for the movers, lilbro's family etc. Sunbeam is a riot, but also a very busybody 2 year old! I took her to the park the other day when the others were at school and she is one stubborn, determined little miss with no fear of anything. Climb to the highest part of the equipment and get annoyed with you for trying to give assistance or make sure she doesn't fall? Absolutely.

I have developed a new obsession, which is very bad because I have been spending time playing escape room game apps on the tablet this week instead of getting the needlework done that I should be doing. If anyone wants to try some, I recommend you start with Exits, Exits 2 and Exits 3 by exits (I'm assuming they have them in the istore too). They were all three free on google play. They are puzzling, but not so hard that they are impossible - although I did hve to get some hints from the walkthroughs a few times (that said, I've found the more of them I've played, the less I need to go get hints as you get better at doing them). They are also not too long, in that they are only 6 rooms long - although you don't have to play through all six rooms at a time.

I should have been going shopping today, but didn't feel like it. Need to go in the next couple days though. When I was shopping for pants a few weeks back, I found a nice little wind-jacket (something I could use) that I liked, but it was a bit pricey at $78. However, I have a coupon that is good starting today for $50 off if I spent $100. So I am going to go pick up the jacket. I am sure I can find another pair of pants (or maybe I'll get lucky and find a good pair of jeans - my current pair are going to need replacing soon) or something to bring me up to the $100.
Instead of shopping, I have been baking. Since I have to go back to work on Monday, figured I should get some cooking done, especially things for lunches. Rice crispy squares and banana bread cooling on the table, and I have some rolls just waiting on their second rise before popping them into the oven. And just for the fun of it, because I was craving something chocolatey and rich and deadly, have a pan of a new-to-me/experimental (found it online) recipe version of a pan of rocky road fudge cooling in the fridge. Mom always made it at Christmas when we were growing up, but I haven't had it in years becase of the sweetened condensed milk. This recipe calls for peanut butter instead. But I didn't have any regular peanut butter, only chocolate peanut butter, so I used that instead. In theory, what could go wrong right? I mean, chocolate recipe, chocolate peanut butter, should be a match made in heaven. but the last time I used the chocolate peanut butter as a subsitute for regular peanut butter, it was an epic fail. So only time will tell on this one. I'm sure I'll need to wait a couple of hours for it to set.
Unread 09-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #2083
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

my teeth hurt as soon as someone says fudge ( of any flavor) its just too much sugar for me, I don't have much of an sweet tooth so, I find it fun to read through other peoples adventures in baking without wanting to actually do that.

I am thinking Jen Marie and Imogene live north of FL but, I don't know enough about the geography of where they are in relation to which way the storm is supposed to go, but hopefully they will post something eventually.
Unread 09-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #2084
CBC Lady Violet

I can't remember where exactly Imogene is. JenMarie I think was in Atlanta? At least she was the last time she posted in the CBC thread - though that was some time ago. From what I can see on the news, Atlanta is in the path of the storm, although it is expected to be not nearly as intense by the time it reaches there.
Unread 09-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #2085
CBC Lady Violet

Ugh. Dudes downstairs are arguing. First in quite a while, but I really do get tired of hearing the f-word. The one dude I am convinced that he does not know any other adjectives or adverbs, because it seems like the f-word is about every second or third word out of his mouth.
Unread 09-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #2086
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I think Imogene is in Alabama and I had that idea that was in that part of the country (somehow) maybe between Fl and LA?) not really sure.

but, I have the mama of one of J's Marines that he is good friends with in Gainsville Fl. and so, I was going to look at a map and see where that was.

I think LA is in the center of the state (kinda sorta) not on a coastline anyways.
Unread 09-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #2087
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
my teeth hurt as soon as someone says fudge ( of any flavor) its just too much sugar for me, I don't have much of an sweet tooth so, I find it fun to read through other peoples adventures in baking without wanting to actually do that.

I am thinking Jen Marie and Imogene live north of FL but, I don't know enough about the geography of where they are in relation to which way the storm is supposed to go, but hopefully they will post something eventually.
I am finding I have less of a sweet tooth as I get older. I've especially noticed a difference in the last year or two. When I used to get sweet cravings, I would need candy or chocolate to kill them. These days when I get sweet cravings, I tend to want more baked goods that aren't nearly as sweet - banana bread, oatmeal cookies, apple pie - that sort of thing. I actually can't even remember the last time I bought candy that was for me - I've bought for the nieces/nephews, but not me.
You might actually be able to eat the rocky road I made - it isn't deadly sweet like a regular fudge, since I had to use a recipe that doesn't call for sweetened condensed milk. The stuff I made is just chocolate, peanut butter, marshmallows and nuts. I just had a small taste piece, and it is pretty good. It is going to take me quite some time to eat the whole pan though - so I am definitely fingers crossed that with that chocolate peanut butter in it, it doesn't start to go funky in a couple days like the last baking I did with it.
JBgreendawn likes this post.
Unread 09-09-2017, 06:19 PM   #2088
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

if push goes a shove... you can always bag up some to take out with your tomorrow and gift it right?

I am debating about making a pineapple upside down cake ( that is hubs favorite ) and I have not done if for years... so, I picked up the stuff at the store a week or so ago but, he is currently canning the last batch of green beans so, it won't be tonight.
Unread 09-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #2089
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I mean if there is too much to eat before it will go bad, so I am thinking a sunday afternoon would be better for me to bake as I could take some to work on monday morning...

(it's highly doubtful either of us would eat more than one or two pieces from a cake)
Unread 09-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #2090
CBC Lady Violet

There are some things I make that I couldn't eat before they went stale, that I freeze. IE the aforementioned banana bread & oatmeal cookies. I bake it all up, and then freeze. The banana bread I actually don't even bake in loaf pans. I have special cake pans (that I bought to fit the toaster oven) that I use for it, or else I use my mini loaf pans - they turn out like giant muffins. I actually think the banana bread turns out better this way - I always find, even when I use the exact same recipe, when I use a regular loaf pan that the outside of the bread seems to get quite dry while the middle is slightly undercooked or only just barely cooked. In the mini cake pans, it seems to turn out perfectly. Anyway, because they are single things as opposed to a big loaf, it is easy to pop each one into a ziploc and toss in the freezer. Then I just take one out when I want it (they actually make a great take-to-work breakfast). But I also do what you are suggesting and bake stuff that I want and take most of it to work. Anything I take to work pretty much gets devoured within the day. Which in a way is good for me, because I can make pretty much anything I take a fancy for, but not eat the whole batch myself.
Unread 09-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #2091
CBC Lady Violet

Ugh. I need to figure out what is triggering my headaches/migraines. I've never had any fod triggers that I am aware of, and in any case, don't eat much of the most common triggers (which are wine - which I don't drink; chocolate & cheese - and we all know about my issue with those!; and caffeine - I cut out all caffineinated sodas a year ago, don't drink coffee, and seldom have more than 1 cup of tea in a day - I might be found drinking 2 cups maybe once a week). It has been years since I've had them this frequently (other than the ones caused by the pot-smoking neighbours, and the cause of those was rather obvious!), so I am a bit discouraged. Unfortunately, I suspect they are tension headaches based on stress - and it is not possible to get tird of any of the things that are causing me stress right now. I have been trying to increase my physical activity levels to help work some of it off, and have also been spending a lot of my time at home just vegging out, relaxing and not forcing myself to do anything producting. Neither seems to be helping at the moment, as the last few weeks the headaches have been getting more frequent and more intense.
I think I need to win the lottery............
Unread 09-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #2092
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Send a message via AIM to tamijo

LA is in Orlando area and they are projected right now to get quite a bit of it- they would be on the eastern edge if it continues on the track and that is the edge of the tornadoes and wind. I have a friend who was in Disney this week- she was supposed to come home today and has been working to try to change her flight. Couldn't do it because all were booked and she is stuck down there until at least Wednesday.

Jen is in atlanta area (north actually) and is projected to get some wind and rain, which means Imogene will too probably because she is in Alabama but near Chattanooga. Even here in Indiana we are projected to get some of the rain later this week.
Unread 09-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #2093
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Kelly, sometimes they can be triggered by hormone withdrawals...
Unread 09-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #2094

LA's update:
We made it through. No damage to the house. Just minor tree debris in back yard. One fence part leaning a little.
Anemone likes this post.
Unread 09-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #2095
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamijo View Post
4 days since a post~ is everyone okay?

I started back to work this fall as a LTS and I need 8 more hours in each day. Love the job but getting everything done that needs to be done with my own kids and the house, as well as the job, is proving to be a challenge. This was a ton easier when I didn't have kids.
Unread 09-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #2096
CBC Lady Violet

People annoy me by times. They interviewed all these people on the news who are so mad that the Canadian government was not doing enough to get their relatives out of the hurricane damaged areas, particularly the Caribbean. They are all annoyed and bad-mouthing the government because only today are commercial airliners going to some of the hard-hit Caribbean islands and flying back Canadian passengers. A)the government did not force you to go on vacation or study or whatever you were doing there unless you are with the diplomatic service or posted there by the military. B)How, exactly, with a hurrican blocking the way and airports with damage and debris so airplanes couldn't land, did you expect the government to get these people home? Particularly if they are not near the airport and/or the government know they are there?It is one thing to ask the government for assistance or to call Foreign Affairs (our equivalent to the state department) for advice, and another thing entirely to bad-mouth & blame them for things entirely beyond their control!
Unread 09-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #2097
CBC Lady Violet

So glad to hear LA is ok. Hopefully we hear from Jen & Imogene soon.

Misse, what is an LTS? We probably have the same thing here by a different name!
Unread 09-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #2098
CBC Lady Violet

*sigh* This is getting ridiculous. I have yet another headache.
Unread 09-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #2099
CBC Lady Violet

My phone is going to drive me around the bend. I have had almost non-stop messages for the last 2-3 weeks, saying urgent/critical updates needed. I don't even know how many times I've run the updates and downloaded whatever, and I still keep getting these message. Time to have lilbro1 take a look at it next time I see him I think.
Unread 09-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #2100
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Jen posted something on facebook about 20 hours ago. not an update just one of those graphic's with words on it for 9/11.

Imogene has not posted for a few days.
Unread 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #2101

I messaged Imogene

We are good! Lots of wind yesterday, and it is still raining, but no damage. Should be clear tomorrow. Thanks for asking!
Anemone and JBgreendawn like this post.
Unread 09-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #2102
CBC Lady Violet

Today is one of those days that I am glad my work day is over! It was very, very busy. I'm still catching up from days off, and today my boss decided to make major changes to something, which was lots of work for me. And we had some very difficult to deal with clients. I was intending to get out of work right on time and go shopping tonight, and instead got out way late and have just gotten home. It is also relatively hot - had to turn on all the fans last night and put my hair up. Just as warm today. Decided I did not feel like cooking, nor do I feel like eating anything I have in the house that would be easy to eat and not require work. Decided I had a craving for KFC and have ordered some. So bad for you, but tastes so yummy! Good thing I only indugle a couple times a year!
Unread 09-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #2103
CBC Lady Violet

Maybe I missed it all because I am not on FB, but I saw a pin on pinterest, which led me here: https://www.gofundme.com/46ov8pc?lang=en

Is that our NurseChrissy?
Unread 09-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #2104
CBC Lady Violet

Has anybody noticed a change in their pinterest feed? Mine suddenly changed a couple of days ago - the pins in my feed no longer show who pinned them.
Unread 09-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #2105
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
So glad to hear LA is ok. Hopefully we hear from Jen & Imogene soon.

Misse, what is an LTS? We probably have the same thing here by a different name!

Sorry, LTS is long term substitute. I am filling in for a teacher who is out for the first 1/2 of the year.
Unread 09-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #2106
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Maybe I missed it all because I am not on FB, but I saw a pin on pinterest, which led me here: https://www.gofundme.com/46ov8pc?lang=en

Is that our NurseChrissy?

It seems that all of the information that is there lines up with her. How sad for her if it is her.
Unread 09-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #2107

Yes it is her- I didn't go look at your link but her son was in a horrible accident where he got burnt.
Unread 09-14-2017, 01:57 AM   #2108
CBC Lady Violet

Been wide awake since 3:30am. *sigh* And I start out my work day today with a meeting that begins first thing and is expected to last until lunch. Fingers crossed I do not start nodding off somewhere in the middle.....................
Unread 09-14-2017, 02:50 AM   #2109
CBC Lady Violet

And being awake that early is dangerous to my budget. Placed an order at amazon and your next stamp. And kicking myself I didn't place the YNS stamp order last night. I put the stuff in my cart about a week ago, but had a couple things I was hemming & hawing on, so decided to leave it for a bit and think about it. Discovered when I placed my order this morning that there had been a 20% off coupon code - which expired at midnight last night.
Between that and missing the unity sale last week, I am thinking that maybe the universe is trying to tell me not to buy any more stamps. LOL!
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #2110
Stazon Splitcoast

Misse, I imagine the LTS position is every day. My 2-3 days a week combined with the kids back to school has been hectic these past few weeks, I can't imagine working every day. The few weeks before school I worked 4 days a week for vacation coverage and getting ready for our office remodel. I was so glad to be back to a normal week and kids sort of settled into their new schedules this week.
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #2111
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry for your headaches. Very stressful when life/work is hectic and you top it off with a headache. Guess you need a little more rest and relaxing music.
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #2112
Stazon Splitcoast

Glad those on the east coast are doing well. We had an afternoon of increased wind a few weeks ago which was really scary at the time, just came out of the blue at about 30 mph. Just like that it ended. I can't imagine what it was like with hurricane winds.
Unread 09-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #2113
CBC Lady Violet

Such crazy weather we've had this year. May I ended up having to turn on the heat, which was ridiculous. Now it is September, and this afternoon it is so hot I've had to turn the AC back on!
Unread 09-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #2114
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh yah, turned on the a/c yesterday it's been near 90. I don't think I had it on during August at all except maybe a couple nights for 20 minutes or so before bed. The gym for volleyball tonight was crazy hot. I watched off and on from the cool hallway.
Unread 09-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #2115
Stazon Splitcoast

Remember 3 yrs ago when my niece had the vision loss from the false brain tumor? She's back in the hospital with it again. Guess they will be putting a shunt in/near her brain for drainage. So scary for someone so young.
Unread 09-15-2017, 04:44 PM   #2116
CBC Lady Violet

Oh that is too bad! Hopefully whatever procedure they do this time will solve the issue for her for good.
Unread 09-16-2017, 06:08 PM   #2117
CBC Lady Violet

Yeuch. Too hot. The last 3 evenings I've had to sit with a fan blowing directly on me, even with the ac going, and I still don't feel cool/comfortable. I'm not roasting/sweating, but I'm not cool either. Getting in a bath of ice water sounds really good right about now.........
Unread 09-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #2118
CBC Lady Violet

The world of fashion is insane. https://ca.style.yahoo.com/calvin-kl...145607031.html
Unread 09-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #2119
CBC Lady Violet

Tami, saw this sign for sale at the mall on Friday and thought of you, so I took a picture for you.
lesliespringer and JBgreendawn like this post.
Unread 09-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #2120

LOL- so true!