Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2006, 05:27 AM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up We're moving to GERMANY!!!!!

Ok so i'm so excited.. My husband & I tend to have very bad luck.. We move from our current assignment in okinawa on april 15th. We thought that since we haden't heard where we were going yet..... we were probably going to get screwed & end up some place like Korea. Where he would go for 1 year alone and my DD and I would be stuck in the states with out him...

BUT NO!!! we found out today we're going to GERMANY!! WHHOOOOOHOOOO YIPPIE i'm so excited, I had to share my wonderful news with everyone! My DH spent 6 years of his childhood there (army brat) and is looking forward to showing me & our DD where he grew up. OH i can't wait!! I'm really looking forward to traveling, since we've lived on a little island for so long!

Thanks for letting me share my exciting news!!! i'm so happy if i was a puppy, i'd pee!

Anyone else in Germany now???

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-25-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
Crimping Master

Yay! That's our dream assignment! Congratulations, I know you'll love it there! You'll have to talk to Diana...she's got some great things to say about Germany. (As does everyone I know who's ever lived there!)

Congrats again!
Mommy and teacher to my 3 blessings
Old 02-25-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Lisa!

Old 02-25-2006, 05:45 AM   #4
SCS Moderator

I was there for a few years ago (96-99). We had a stink assignment b/c my DH was depolyed more than half the time-but I still enjoyed traveling around.
And one of my bestest friends ever I met while in Germany-she and her husband ended up moving to MD a year after we did and she now lives 10 minutes away.

I will recommend you take the free course taught on base (at least it was on ours). It was like an introduction to Germany. We learned basic words, transportation info (train schedules, etc.), and took a trip downtown. Since my husband depolyed so quickly after we got there it was a lifesaver!

We were in Wiesbaden.

Old 02-25-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
Kookie Creator

And may I say: Welcome to Europe!! LOL Im way up here in Finland, but if you deside to come see the REAL santa claus in christmastime, Ill be happy to be your guide!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

Congratulations Susanne,

I LOVE Germany! Although I have never lived there, I have visited many times and it's always my choice if hubby asks where I want to play. There are three cities/villages that I really love and hope you get to see:

1. Heidelberg is a really beautiful old city with a castle ruins and a lovely river. I really enjoy going to the ruins of the castle and just quietly wandering around; thinking about what it must have been like to live there hundreds of years ago.

2. Bremen is a fabulous city to visit, especially during October(fest). There are loads of yummy restaurants and interesting places to visit. It is the home of the Brementown Musicians, you know, the children's book about the farm animals that form a band...really cute and the statue in the town square is a very popular place for Kodak moments...

3. My all time favorite is Rothenburg ob der Tauber (be careful because there is another Rothenburg, but it's not the right one). This is a medieval walled village that has kept all of its old-world charm. The streets are cobblestone and the shops and restaurants are all very authentic. You can climb up into the village wall and walk along for a great view. The churches are so impressive and it's also the home of Kathe Wolfart, the original German glass Christmas ornaments and incense burners. You can literally spend hours (and $$$$$) in their shops and they are open year-round. I have always taken the train in for a day trip (from Frankfurt) but there are some cozy little bed & breakfast type homes that I'm planning to try next time I go (hopefully this October).

Maybe you can see I get really excited about visiting Germany. I really love it there and most of the people are so open and friendly. You will still come across some of the old-guard staunch Germans who never smile and can be quite rude, but for the most part, especially in the touristy areas, they are great. Another great thing about Germany is that it is so easy to take the train all over Europe. You will have a great time.....I'm jealous.

Good Luck with the move, Tami

Last edited by Tami2; 02-25-2006 at 08:18 AM..
Old 02-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

Yay Susanne!!

I am so excited for you and hope you have an awesome time there!!

When is the big move??
Old 02-25-2006, 08:04 AM   #8
Forum Fanatic

My father was in the Army. When I was in the 7th grade we were in Germany. We were suppose to be there for 3 years, but we were only there for one, he got sent to Viet Nam. We didn't travel much because we thought we would have lots of time. It's very nice and I wish I could go back and see more. We were in Nurenburg. Have a great time over there.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
Crimping Master

Congrats, Susanne! It will be a big change from Okinawa - I think you'll like it just fine.

Do you know where you will be? I'm in Wiesbaden.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #10
Die Cut Diva

How exciting! Congrats!

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can count and those that can't.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

How exciting! Congratulations!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Old 02-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
Insane Embellisher

How exciting!!!!!!!!! What an education for you and your daughter!!! The closest I've gotten to Germany is the World Showcase in Walt Disney World!!! LOL
Old 02-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinformom
How exciting!!!!!!!!! What an education for you and your daughter!!! The closest I've gotten to Germany is the World Showcase in Walt Disney World!!! LOL

ROFLAMO!! that's too funny!! well i'll be there COME VISIT!

Thank you all for your congratulatory words! Our PCS date from Okinawa is April 15th. My DH is retraining and going to school in MD from May-August. So i'm hoping we might get to inprocess and move before class..

Thanks Tami2 for your ideas of what to do..

My husband speaks German he needs a little refresher course but I'm sure he'll pick it up again just fine.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #14
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRaspberry
Ok so i'm so excited.. My husband & I tend to have very bad luck.. We move from our current assignment in okinawa on april 15th. We thought that since we haden't heard where we were going yet..... we were probably going to get screwed & end up some place like Korea. Where he would go for 1 year alone and my DD and I would be stuck in the states with out him...

BUT NO!!! we found out today we're going to GERMANY!! WHHOOOOOHOOOO YIPPIE i'm so excited, I had to share my wonderful news with everyone! My DH spent 6 years of his childhood there (army brat) and is looking forward to showing me & our DD where he grew up. OH i can't wait!! I'm really looking forward to traveling, since we've lived on a little island for so long!

Thanks for letting me share my exciting news!!! i'm so happy if i was a puppy, i'd pee!

Anyone else in Germany now???
I AM SOOOO JEALOUS!!!

You are so stinkin lucky! That's so great. You are going to love it. The traveling and everything. It's just awesome. Depending where you are located I'll tell you about this secret spot on the Rhein River where lots of Germans go to sunbathe and let their kids play in the river in the summer time. I was so bummed we found it the last summer we were there, but it was so awesome we were there at least 2x a week. LOL. You'll see with the weather they have you want to be outdoors when it's nice.

Start stocking up on all these awesome clearance clothes and coats they have here!! It's a total opposite flip from weather here in Okinawa. You'll need winter clothes and shoes most of the year there.

We'll chat in person! I'm so thrilled for you!

Ooh and shoe shopping! Girl, I'll send you straight to the best shoe outlet town in Germany! Woo-hoo!
Old 02-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #15
Kookie Creator

Sure, go ahead and leave.....see you later.....i'll help you pack since you are so excited to leave us little island friends....she if I ever kick my heels up with you during copperhead road again....

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA....I am really excited for you. I know you'll love it. Think of the shopping you can do there! We'll be so sad to see you go though.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:44 PM   #16
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa
I AM SOOOO JEALOUS!!!

You are so stinkin lucky! That's so great. You are going to love it. The traveling and everything. It's just awesome. Depending where you are located I'll tell you about this secret spot on the Rhein River where lots of Germans go to sunbathe and let their kids play in the river in the summer time. I was so bummed we found it the last summer we were there, but it was so awesome we were there at least 2x a week. LOL. You'll see with the weather they have you want to be outdoors when it's nice.

Start stocking up on all these awesome clearance clothes and coats they have here!! It's a total opposite flip from weather here in Okinawa. You'll need winter clothes and shoes most of the year there.

We'll chat in person! I'm so thrilled for you!

Ooh and shoe shopping! Girl, I'll send you straight to the best shoe outlet town in Germany! Woo-hoo!
shoes!! OOH i love me some shoes!!! I'm really looking forward to it. However my husband wants me to finda new home for my cats & i'm heartbroken

Looking forward to hearing your stories!

Old 02-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #17
Hardware Hotshot

Congrats!!! You'll beat us out of here - 84 days and counting!!!! Stampin_Melissa is in Germany now and getting ready to rotate back to the states - I'm sure she would be able to give you some help and hints...

BLINGO
Old 02-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #18
Hardware Hotshot

**double post **

BLINGO
Old 02-26-2006, 12:19 AM   #19
Mad Swapper

NO Choos for you!! *Unless you take me with you!! Wahhh!

I could close my eyes and drive you there and we'd be happy happy buying about $30 shoes that sell for $125 in the states!! NO kidding! Saw them myself in the mall stateside one time. MIL happened to be wearing the pair I sent her for Christmas and about fell down when she saw the price tag on the wall display. LOL. She was like, send me more! Josef Siebels, yep they rock. I probably have about 20+ pair! LOL.

AND not only is the shoe outlet town right there, around the corner, well, not much further is the basket factory! Now, you'll be needing craft things and baskets because you're crafty and need that fix, you can find it there!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:01 AM   #20
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
NO Choos for you!! *Unless you take me with you!! Wahhh!

I could close my eyes and drive you there and we'd be happy happy buying about $30 shoes that sell for $125 in the states!! NO kidding! Saw them myself in the mall stateside one time. MIL happened to be wearing the pair I sent her for Christmas and about fell down when she saw the price tag on the wall display. LOL. She was like, send me more! Josef Siebels, yep they rock. I probably have about 20+ pair! LOL.

AND not only is the shoe outlet town right there, around the corner, well, not much further is the basket factory! Now, you'll be needing craft things and baskets because you're crafty and need that fix, you can find it there!
I can always send you things from Germany! Did you live on base or off? And is getting off base housing like it is here? with rental agency's & stuff?
OOH i'm gonna buy birkenstocks!!! shoes shoes shoes

Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #21
Mad Swapper

I am happy for you being assigned to Germany! We took a river cruise through Austria, Germany and Holland two years ago, and I found Germany to be ever so interesting and historically beautiful! Living there, you will be able to truly travel and see the countryside. Try one of the river cruises while you are there!
Old 02-28-2006, 01:18 AM   #22
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by instcollector
I am happy for you being assigned to Germany! We took a river cruise through Austria, Germany and Holland two years ago, and I found Germany to be ever so interesting and historically beautiful! Living there, you will be able to truly travel and see the countryside. Try one of the river cruises while you are there!

OOH river cruises!! i'll have to look into that! thanks

Old 02-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #23
Hardware Hotshot

We tried, a couple of years ago, for that assignment but because DH had already been there twice there was no going back! Have a great time!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #24
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2kjs
We tried, a couple of years ago, for that assignment but because DH had already been there twice there was no going back! Have a great time!
I'm sad to have to move from there, and I'm not even there yet! I'm guessing we won't be there longer than a 3 year tour... It's gonna be a fun 3 years!!!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #25
Inking Addict

That is so exciting!!! I'm from Germany and grew up right in the K-town/Ramstein area. Any info you need, just let me know. I won't be too much help with the on base stuff, since I didn't have much access to it. My husband was in the Air Force there, but we didn't get married until after he was out. I can definitely point you in the right direction for shoes though!!! Especially if you end up in that area!!

Isabelle
Old 03-01-2006, 07:43 AM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Susanne!! That is awesome news! I am so happy for you ..... I wish I was as brave as you! I just can not muster up the courage to go there - vacation maybe but move YIKES.....
But I am being sold on it little by little now - how are the schools????

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Old 03-06-2006, 03:55 AM   #27
Hardware Hotshot

I was in the Army and lived over in Germany. I loved it over there. After awhile you get a little punchy for America but it sounds like you gals are used to it. The BEER is great. Oh it brings back so many memories
Old 03-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #28
Insane Embellisher

I'm so looking forward to it. It's a dream assignment. I wish we were there already!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:34 PM   #29
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRaspberry
I can always send you things from Germany! Did you live on base or off? And is getting off base housing like it is here? with rental agency's & stuff?
OOH i'm gonna buy birkenstocks!!! shoes shoes shoes
I lived on base in stairwell housing for 7 years. If I could go back and do it over, I'd definitely live off base. It was a miserable time. Neighbors stacked all on top of you and no privacy. The floors are wood and hollow. You hear EVERYTHING!

You go to the housing office and they give you a list of local places to rent. Make sure to check and see where the nearest train tracks are. It's a bit disturbing to move in and find out there's one going right behind your bedroom! LOL. Had that happen to a friend.

There's a private ballet dance studio right in Ramstein Village that I took DD to for almost 2 years. She loved it. It's called Fairytale Dance Studio.

You are making me homesick!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:07 AM   #30
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I lived on base in stairwell housing for 7 years. If I could go back and do it over, I'd definitely live off base. It was a miserable time. Neighbors stacked all on top of you and no privacy. The floors are wood and hollow. You hear EVERYTHING!

You go to the housing office and they give you a list of local places to rent. Make sure to check and see where the nearest train tracks are. It's a bit disturbing to move in and find out there's one going right behind your bedroom! LOL. Had that happen to a friend.

There's a private ballet dance studio right in Ramstein Village that I took DD to for almost 2 years. She loved it. It's called Fairytale Dance Studio.

You are making me homesick!

OH NO! I hate that kind of housing! My DH & I said we'd try housing first, see what it looked like. Maybe live on base 1 year & if we hate it move off base. I'd still prefer 100% to be off base, but his work will be right down the street on Bitburg annex, so he wants to be able to walk to work incase of ice/snow.

what a sweet name for a ballet studio! I wonder what is around Spangdahlem.

So sorry your homesick! <hugs>

Old 03-07-2006, 07:53 AM   #31
Gabfest Goddess

oooh,Congratulations! We are hoping to go there in a couple years, if we do I'll call on you to be a voice of experience for me!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 03-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #32
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristransue
oooh,Congratulations! We are hoping to go there in a couple years, if we do I'll call on you to be a voice of experience for me!

OOH fun! I'll be there for ya!!

Old 03-09-2006, 12:40 AM   #33
Cardstock Collector

I am soooo jeleous. We just got to Okinawa from Ramstein. We lived there for 8 years. I cry inside everytime I think about it. The food is wonderful we lived on base and off base I reccommend off it was great. We had a huge house. Our standard of living went way down when we got to Okinawa. Let me know if you need any info. Oh yeah the BX at K-town(Vogelwegh) and Ramstein are much better than Kadena.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:31 AM   #34
Mad Swapper

Hey, at least you'll be closer to Metlach! It's an awesome Villeroy and Bach outlet town. There's a Birkenstock store there and a clothing store, I'm going black on it, I'll remember once I close this. LOL. It's really not old age, it's the kids! LOL.

Metlach is so pretty and a neat little village to walk around and shop in. You'll have to get your flatware there. They have beautiful flatware. I am kicking myself for not getting it. I should have gotten my flatware! Wah!

And you're so very close to my favorite furniture store in Belgium, MK Mobel. They've been selling to American Military for over 35 years. If you mention my name to Brigett she'll remember us, she's the owner's daughter. We bought something from them every year we were there! They have a sale in Nov. where they give you an extra 2 or 3% off and it's so worth it. Free layaway for a year, just a small down payment. They are so very trustworthy. They deliver and set up for free and if anything gets damaged they can come pick it up for repair. They repaired my table that my DD scratched for free! Develop a relationship and they'll treat you well. When we left, we had found out that I was preggo with number 3 and had to order another quick chair for our breakfast table set and that meant we had 5. Well they kept trying to send us one extra and I kept saying, no to the deliverymen that we only paid for ONE chair. I even called them in Belgium and told them it was a mistake. Turns out, they GAVE us the extra chair! Wasn't that sweet?! They're good people. They got to know us so well whenever we'd see them driving their truck around base, they'd honk at us. LOL.

Anyway, I'm still jealous. Ha!!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:35 AM   #35
Mad Swapper

OH! And don't worry, you'll still be able to practice your Japanese! They're everywhere! Every time you see a tour bus, it's probably loaded with Japanese tourists. I got to practice some of my Japanese I was just learning while visiting Rothenburg. LOL. You'll even see signs and things in Kanji just for them. So whenever you see that, think of us in OKITRAZ!!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:58 AM   #36
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
OH! And don't worry, you'll still be able to practice your Japanese! They're everywhere! Every time you see a tour bus, it's probably loaded with Japanese tourists. I got to practice some of my Japanese I was just learning while visiting Rothenburg. LOL. You'll even see signs and things in Kanji just for them. So whenever you see that, think of us in OKITRAZ!!

HAHAHAH thanks for the warning!!

Old 03-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #37
Inking Addict

Sorry, been trying to do a quick read... where will you be living? I live in Frankfurt now, and have been for 18 months. My kids love it here --they are 11, 10, 7, 5. We are having a blast. I haven't been happier in years. Hope you have a great experience here as well.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #38
Kookie Creator

Well at least you are in a better location, I am in Stuttgart which is south, you would think that since this is HQ Eucom that it would be big and wonderful like Ramstein. Its small and run down. We are an Air Force Family living on an Army post and the way of living is different. Being able to visit other countries is the best thing about being here. In two weeks we are taking the kids to Paris and of course Euro Disney, We will visit Italy in the summer. Its just a fact of life that whenever it is a three day weekend or some kind of holiday for my kids to come home and say that a friend is going to Pragu or Rome or Spain or Turkey or Poland or wherever. I went shopping in Poland already, I plan on going shopping to Novea in May and my daugher and I are going to a Swiss Chalet for a girl scout trip! I always say that the military life is what you make of it. Enjoy your tour!
Old 03-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #39
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampwAmanda
Sorry, been trying to do a quick read... where will you be living? I live in Frankfurt now, and have been for 18 months. My kids love it here --they are 11, 10, 7, 5. We are having a blast. I haven't been happier in years. Hope you have a great experience here as well.
We'll be on Spangdahlem/Bitburg. My daughter is 3, which is the same age my DH was when he was there as an army bratt. He has wonderful memories of it. I'm looking forward to traveling. I've been on a little island WAY to long....

Old 03-20-2006, 01:54 AM   #40
Embossing Fanatic

Hey Susanne,

I'm not too far from there, I live near Kaiserslautern, he's stationed at Ramstein. Let me know if you need any info!! Congrats, you're going to love it!!