Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Stampin' Fool

Default OUR TORNADO SIRENS ARE GOING OFF!!!!!!!

Our tornado sirens are going off. There is tornado's dropping all over the place. Storms everywhere. They have about 5 dropping as I am typing this. No I am not in the basement. I know it's stupid, but, it will greenish,yellow if there is a tornado about to hit you. I'm also home alone, husband is in the air as I type going to Chicago for business. MyDD is on her way to try to get her kids from school, but, they are all probably in lock down and in the basement. My youngest is really scared of tornado's. I don't have a Toto, but, I have a Katie, LOL!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Where are you at?
Old 05-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

YIKES!! Take cover and let us know how things go! Severe storms are very scary...go take cover now!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Scary!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
Stampin' Fool

Default TORNADO UPDATE

The warnings are still going, the funnels are dropping but, are not staying on the ground very long. My DD made it to the school and they let her in, my Grandsons are really scared. She volunteers up there so everyone knows her. I finally got through to her and she said the kids are crying, some are actually vomiting. She is trying to comfort the kids while being there for her own kids. One is at one end of the school the the other clear on the other. They have announced on TV, they are not letting the kids out to get on the bus. New clouds are forming, and it is really unpreditable. Oh, by the way I am in Topeka.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Stampin' Fool

I forgot to say that I am out taking pictures. Does any one know where they sell tornado paper.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Die Cut Diva

Okay, I want to laugh but I don't know if I should.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

I want to see the pics!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
Crimping Master

on one hand i want to see the pics but on the other hand i want to say get your butt inside and take cover. i hope that everything clears up fast and everyone is safe.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmmm... maybe she finally decided to get to the basement!

Hope all is well over there in KS!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
Watercolor Wizard

Yes, please, be safe!!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my! I'm certainly glad to live in a tornado, hurricane, tsunami-free zone! Our biggest threats are earthquakes!

Hopefully you're safe right now, but I want to see pictures when it's all over too! And good for your daughter for being able to be so helpful. It must mean a lot to her kids and to the parents who can't do it themselves and are worried sick for their little ones.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #13
Crimping Master

I live in another part of tornado alley... and I totally understand the need to watch those twirlly things... it is more comforting to be able to see them then to sit somewhere and just listen but know nothing. One afternoon I watched 13 tornados still up in the sky, they never dropped, but man that was impressive.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
MnM
Crimping Master

I live in Maryland and tornados are very rare here. But one did form over the golfcourse behind our old house and it never really touched down but it sure did tear up the nieghborhood.
M
Old 05-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
Stampin' Fool

Well just to let everyone know, the tornado's are gone for now. We just have flash flooding in some places because there was 4-6 inches of rain in about a hour and a half. My DD and Grandsons came over when they let them out of the school until the "big stuff" got over. It's just supposed to rain the rest of the night. No, I didn't go to the basement. The one time I did was because the windows were sucking in and out because of the tornado and then the neighbor's fishing boat flew past our window's (upstairs). I figured that was good enough for me. Glad it's over so I don't miss Bon Jovi on Idol tonight.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #16
Insane Embellisher

oh my goodness! Glad everyone is ok...I drove through Kansas a couple of years ago on my way from Kentucky to Colorado...it was NOT fun...they were predicting tornados the whole time and I am from the Shenandoah Valley - we almost NEVER get tornados! The wind was blowing sooo hard and we stopped to get gas and the guy at the station knew just from the look on our face that we were not from there! Best Wishes!!!!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #17
Gabfest Goddess

Glad to hear you're OK - stay safe!!

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #18
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindygrammy2
Well just to let everyone know, the tornado's are gone for now. We just have flash flooding in some places because there was 4-6 inches of rain in about a hour and a half. My DD and Grandsons came over when they let them out of the school until the "big stuff" got over. It's just supposed to rain the rest of the night. No, I didn't go to the basement. The one time I did was because the windows were sucking in and out because of the tornado and then the neighbor's fishing boat flew past our window's (upstairs). I figured that was good enough for me. Glad it's over so I don't miss Bon Jovi on Idol tonight.
Okay, I'm a newbie to tornado alley and I'm thinking I need to take a class on being calm from you! Dang! In March I was on a ride-along with my hubby (he is a police officer) and we were listening to the deputies storm-chase the big twister that devastated Holly, CO. They were just two counties over from us and we could see the storm from here... close enough for me, thankyouverymuch!

So... if you have any pointers for me, PM away!!!!

My dogs are fluent in English, Afghan, Pekinese, Maltese, Pomeranian and have a fairly good grasp of bull Shih Tzu...
Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 AM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

We want to see a picture of the boat flying past the upstairs window!
Glad you are safe!!!! And the kiddos too!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:06 AM   #20
Insane Embellisher

Here in KS, too! We got to deal w/the sirens yesterday as well, but luckily never saw anything from it. We don't have a basement in our house, so we go over to the church right across the street (have a key, too.). Not a horrible ordeal at night, but I've got a daycare, so yesterday when all this happened in the middle of the day - in the middle of naptime, it was a mess! (and so was I quite honestly). Today, I'll be revamping our proceedures now that I've actually had to go through it. Praying for a calm weather day today for everyone!

Dawn
Old 05-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #21
Glitter Guru

WHERE IS THE COMMON SENSE HERE.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

That wasn't very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa62
WHERE IS THE COMMON SENSE HERE.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #23
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
I am glad you are fine. Your last sentence made me LOL. Don't mess with Idol! LOL.
Where we are in Michigan we have a tornado alley here. We always watch outside too, or look out the window until we absolutely need to go downstairs.
SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #24
Stampin' Fool

To Lisa62 - I know it does sound crazy not going downstairs. I have lived here all my life and you can just feel something in the air when there is "something" wrong. Yes, the sirens were blowing, but, it will get a yellow-greenish color outside like you're looking through sunglasses with those color of lenses. Also, your head will feel pressure in it, and a leaf will not move on a tree because all the "wind" is being sucked up in the tornado. Then you will hear that horrible sound. Now, if all of that was going on, I would have grabbed my dog and went downstairs. I would have had my Grandson's downstairs just in case.Trust me, I don't risk my life for tornado picture's. I didn't get any pictures of the funnel cloud this time, and the boat went too fast to get. I got big thuderstorm clouds and I do have flash flood picture's though. The water is clear up to the bottom of the bridge's. Now, I think back to that, and I think that is the dumbest thing I have ever done. The police kept going by with those things they talk with saying "get back in your car's and leave the area". Well I know now that the ground I was standing on could have gave out, it give's me the heebie jeebie's just to think about that. I will NEVER do that again. I can't even float, let alone swim. The strongest swimmer couldn't have made it in those rushing waters.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #25
Embossing Fanatic

I am from Salina Kansas and my family didn't tell me there were storms?? i guess they didn't hit there first! I live in California now and i miss my thunderstorms! glad you are safe!

cierra in San Diego
Old 05-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #26
Polyshrink Goddess

My DH was at work earlier and they were calling out storm chasers. Maybe somebody can clue me in why they would need to do that when there isn't a cloud in the sky?

My dogs are fluent in English, Afghan, Pekinese, Maltese, Pomeranian and have a fairly good grasp of bull Shih Tzu...
Old 05-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #27
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
To Lisa62 - I know it does sound crazy not going downstairs. I have lived here all my life and you can just feel something in the air when there is "something" wrong. Yes, the sirens were blowing, but, it will get a yellow-greenish color outside like you're looking through sunglasses with those color of lenses. Also, your head will feel pressure in it, and a leaf will not move on a tree because all the "wind" is being sucked up in the tornado. Then you will hear that horrible sound. Now, if all of that was going on, I would have grabbed my dog and went downstairs. I would have had my Grandson's downstairs just in case.Trust me, I don't risk my life for tornado picture's. I didn't get any pictures of the funnel cloud this time, and the boat went too fast to get. I got big thuderstorm clouds and I do have flash flood picture's though. The water is clear up to the bottom of the bridge's. Now, I think back to that, and I think that is the dumbest thing I have ever done. The police kept going by with those things they talk with saying "get back in your car's and leave the area". Well I know now that the ground I was standing on could have gave out, it give's me the heebie jeebie's just to think about that. I will NEVER do that again. I can't even float, let alone swim. The strongest swimmer couldn't have made it in those rushing waters.
Great information! Thanks! Now I'll have a better idea what to look for...

Old 05-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #28
Stampin' Fool

In Topeka they watch for storms with radar and they can tell by "Doppler radar" how far off the storms are. Right now they are predicting storms for Saturday night and into Sunday. They have the storm chasers out in the wide open to watch it come in and they radio back if they see funnels,rotation in the clouds,etc. They have classes to become a storm chaser every spring.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra
I am glad you are fine. Your last sentence made me LOL. Don't mess with Idol! LOL.
Where we are in Michigan we have a tornado alley here. We always watch outside too, or look out the window until we absolutely need to go downstairs.

No Kidding Debra. I remember a storm about 9 years ago at the end of May and it sounded like the house was going to fall down on my head because the wind was blowing directly at my window, so I went in the living room to sleep because it was closer to the middle of the house.

I find my parent standing at our 7 foot tall windows watching stuff blow around in our backyard going "this is so cool, look at the stuff fly!" I made a comment about yeah it's cool to look, but how much trouble is there going to be if something hits the window you're standing in front of?

They apparently hadn't thought about that.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #30
Kookie Creator

Gosh I remember those Siren Days in KS.. We were stationed up there at McConnel and whew did we have some Tornados while there.. We recently had 1 down here in LA but thankfuly not as bad as those up north..
Hope you were safe
~Chris~
Old 05-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #31
Stampin' Fool

MORE TORNADO'S - HORRIBLE NEWS
Well since I started this thread a couple of days ago we find ourselves's in more tornado watches and warnings. The worse news though is a city south of us. It "was" a small town of 1600 people and a tornado that they say was a mile and a half wide wiped the town off the map. It is gone, just reduced to a pile of splinters and debrie.They are saying now that there has been at least 9 dead, and others missing. Our state senator was just of TV and he said he just couldn't believe it that a town could be wiped out like that. He called President Bush and he is supposed to do a fly over and declare it a disaster. They are are on TV now asking if we don't have the severe weather radio, to stay up till 4 AM and watch the weather because there have been two tornado's already tonight briefly touch down. Right now my prayers are going out to the people in Greenberg, they have no where to go. When they were going through the rubble trying to find any belongings the sirens went off again and the poor people had no where to go. They are saying they all ran to the basement of the courthouse although the courthouse was gone. A warning is being issued right now for a few towns that is west of us. They are popping up everywhere. It is just storming here.Keep the people in Greenberg in your prayers.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #32
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
MORE TORNADO'S - HORRIBLE NEWS
Well since I started this thread a couple of days ago we find ourselves's in more tornado watches and warnings. The worse news though is a city south of us. It "was" a small town of 1600 people and a tornado that they say was a mile and a half wide wiped the town off the map. It is gone, just reduced to a pile of splinters and debrie.They are saying now that there has been at least 9 dead, and others missing. Our state senator was just of TV and he said he just couldn't believe it that a town could be wiped out like that. He called President Bush and he is supposed to do a fly over and declare it a disaster. They are are on TV now asking if we don't have the severe weather radio, to stay up till 4 AM and watch the weather because there have been two tornado's already tonight briefly touch down. Right now my prayers are going out to the people in Greenberg, they have no where to go. When they were going through the rubble trying to find any belongings the sirens went off again and the poor people had no where to go. They are saying they all ran to the basement of the courthouse although the courthouse was gone. A warning is being issued right now for a few towns that is west of us. They are popping up everywhere. It is just storming here.Keep the people in Greenberg in your prayers.
I thought about you when I heard this. Take care, they are forescasting more storms. We're supposed to get bad weather later tomorrow. Do you have one of the weather radios. Little me from England finds it at least comforting that when the alarm goes off on it I can work out just where the weather is. We can't always hear the sirens here so this makes me feel a little better. And, we're just the the bottom of tornado alley, so don't get it near as bad as you, thank goodness. Now, if we move to Nebraska next year......DH can go there and I'll go home.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #33
Stampin' Fool

I don't have the radio - what a dummy. I'll be up watching the weather for sure. The weather man just said the sky is exploding. So far we are missing the brunt of it.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #34
Die Cut Diva

I just saw the story about Greenberg on the news (I'm in Canada). I cannot say how sorry I am for these people and I cannot imagine what they are going through. I am not much of a religious person, but I just said a prayer, it was all I could do. My thoughts are with you Cindy.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:38 AM   #35
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Living in Kansas, but my heart is at OSU with my DS!

Hi everyone, I lived in Greensburg when my DH and I first got married. We have several good friends that we are unable to find out the status of. I Would ask of you all to please pray for that community. The court house you speek of is where my Dh first started out his career as an Ag Agent for KSU. It is so sad to look upon all this and see what was a beautiful community is now and could possibly be gone forever. God bless you all and please always take safe precautions for you and your loved ones.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #36
Pearl-ExPert

What we are seeing on the news here in Canada, it looks devastating!!! My thoughts and prayers are with this community.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #37
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Skype™ to Carole4312

My thoughts and prayers are with you all xx
Old 05-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #38
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

This has all been so horrible. Hope those of you who have friends/family in the area hear from them soon. Will be keeping all in thoughts and prayers.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #39
Crimping Master

I've been watching the news as well .How horrible for the town of greenburg and any one in the path of mother nature.Hope you all hear from your families and everyone is safe.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #40
Rubber Obsessor

For those in Kansas, I am in Wamego (by Manhattan) and our sirens went off for 35-40 minutes on Saturday night. We don't have a basement and that makes me nervous, plus being dark outside and closed in by other houses and trees you can't see anything. My parents live out by Dodge City in a very small town and since we lived on the edge of town, we would also go outside and watch the tornadoes. I know people think there is no common sense in that but when you live here like we do, you know the signs and when to get inside, exactly like Cindy said. I will never forget one early evening during the one summer I was home from college and the sirens were going off. My aunt and kids came over, like usual because they lived in a trailer, and because my parents live on the edge of town, we were able to watch two sister tornadoes (2 that come down side-by-side) to the north and then another tornado outside of town to the west. Then we watched them go back up into the clouds and move away. I know it sounds insane but being able to see mother nature at work was unbelievable. We have a lot of farmland around so the most that was affected were sprinklers in the fields that were turned over. We have family that live just outside of Greensburg and they were stuck in Wichita but their home only received minor damage.
Topeka and NE Kansas is now dealing with serious flooding and looking at more rain tonight and tomorrow. Please keep everyone in our state in your prayers!!!