Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Smile Baby Fishies

One of my guppies had babies last Thursday night and I'm so excited. I went to PetsMart Thursday evening to see their latest shipment and to also buy a male guppy because mine had died around Monday or so. I told the girl that I needed another male to replace the one that died. I also told her that I thought he got one of the females pregnant before he died. Well, when I checked on my fish Thursday night, I saw a couple of babies hanging out by the orange artificial plant. I caught two of them today and put them in the floating breeding box thingie.
My DH thinks I'm a dork because I'm so excited about having baby guppies.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh that's too funny! I love fish. I have those big gold fish that have those cauliflower things on their heads. they look like their brains are on the outside! LOL

The Card Keeper Kit, Album Kits & Envelope Album
www.jencaputo.com
Old 03-29-2006, 03:54 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and that probably won't be the last batch of babies!! Dh keeps a lot of fish and between the guppies (who ususally give birth once a month!) and the cichlids that are always pregnant, it seems as if there's always a pregnant fish in the tank!
Congrats on the babies!!
Old 03-29-2006, 04:50 AM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

Babies are FUN! We have a couple mollies that are constantly breeding. We have stocked the rest of the fish tanks in our house with babies!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
Crimping Master

u r a dork.....just kidding. I would be excited tooo. I had fish many years ago and they had babies.....then the stuipid filter boiled them .
Old 03-30-2006, 10:54 PM   #6
Die Cut Diva

Exclamation

I had a pair of VERY prolific guppies back when my girls were about 6 & 3.

The first time Mrs Guppy popped out a bunch of babies the girls were SOOOOO excited! They were just standing there staring at them and going "Look, look!" So cute!

Then all of a sudden..... duh-duh... Duh-Duh... DUH-DUH.....
FEEDING FRENZY!!! All the fish in the tank were having a wonderful snack!

OMG, I laugh myself to tears picturing those 2 little sweeties hyperventilating in front of the aquarium screaming "The babies! Sa-a-ave the b-b-b-babies!!"

You're smarter than I was, having that breeder net all ready to go! Have fun with your little baby factories. They are as prolific as rabbits!!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

How Cool!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:23 PM   #8
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmarroquin
My DH thinks I'm a dork because I'm so excited about having baby guppies.
lol!! then I am too! I love live bearing fish! it's sooo very cool to see them as teeny little ones. Ohhhh you made me think of needing a fish tank again! lol!

Oh my...stamps or a tank? ummm fish or cardstock? oh the dilemma! lol!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by judi_stamparooni
Then all of a sudden..... duh-duh... Duh-Duh... DUH-DUH.....FEEDING FRENZY!!! All the fish in the tank were having a wonderful snack!

OMG, I laugh myself to tears picturing those 2 little sweeties hyperventilating in front of the aquarium screaming "The babies! Sa-a-ave the b-b-b-babies!!"
ROTFLMBO!!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by judi_stamparooni
Then all of a sudden..... duh-duh... Duh-Duh... DUH-DUH.....
FEEDING FRENZY!!! All the fish in the tank were having a wonderful snack!

LMBO!!! We've had some of our rainbow fish lay eggs and the same thing happens!! Usually it's Dh and not the kids saying "Oh Cool! We have eggs...Forget it!" lol
Old 04-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my fish too! I have 7 tanks up and running at this time. (2 are nurseries for the babies) I have found that if I put river rocks in the bottom of the live bearing tanks the babies will have a better chance of survival since they can get under the rocks and hide until I get a chance to rescue them. The female fish can store male sperm for up to 6 months before she fertilizes so you may never know who the father is...(bet you just need to know that ) I sell (or trade) my prime babies back to the fish store. The others I usually give to my stampin moms who come over for workshops (or my house would be bursting with babies.) Glad to meet more fish lovers!
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Old 04-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

Our tank started out with 1 pleco, 7 neon tetras, & 3 guppies (2 males & 1 female). We had babies & put them in a net nursery. OK, fast forward 5 years, out neons have died of old age & we're on our 30th (or so) generation of guppies. The male guppies are gorgeous by the way, long flowing tails, red, yellow, black, blueish, pink, orange, spotted & plain. Without neons to eat some of the babies, our poor pleco is outnumbered 200 to 1. We give them to anyone who stops by with a plastic bag. I've even flushed a few prego females (accidently of course. If they're stupid enough to get sucked up while I'm vacuuming the tank they're too dumb to go on.) Oh, that reminds me, I've got to go buy some new filters today. Enjoy your babies!
Old 04-15-2006, 08:51 PM   #13
Die Cut Diva

Smile baby fishies

I now have 11 babies total. There are going to be at least 2 black ones and 1 or 2 yellow ones. My DH got me a wet/dry system for my aquarium and 1 dumb-butt fish decided to go on a suicide mission and got sucked up throught the filter.....TWICE. So, DH had to flush him 'cuz he was dying. DH rigged the tube so that no more fishes would get sucked up. He put the plastic canvas with the mini holes around the tube. Well, when I woke up one morning, one male and one female were stuck to the canvas. It was a beautiful male too I "had" to buy a 10 gal. aquarium for the babies to put them in until they're big enough to go play with the big boys.
Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the boy and girl guppies? I'm curious to know what I have when they get old enough to tell.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:32 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

They sound wonderful! Try putting a piece of nylon over the filter end. It should stop them from getting sucked up. The males anal fin is pointed. You sould be able to tell somewhere between 3 - 6 weeks old.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Old 04-16-2006, 08:55 AM   #15
Polyshrink Goddess

My mil had a tank with guppies in it & was so excited about the babies being born the first time. Well after about 5 or so births she now just lets them go & the ones that live, live the ones that don't, don't. She still has a ton of fish. She just started a salt water tank & has two clown fish in it. It's really pretty. Between the other fresh water tank, the salt water tank, the tank with the hermit crabs, her two white cats & the kittens that were born under their house they are becoming a pet store lol

Enjoy your "babies" they'll be having babies before you know it.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #16
Die Cut Diva

Default Pet Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1273
My mil had a tank with guppies in it & was so excited about the babies being born the first time. Well after about 5 or so births she now just lets them go & the ones that live, live the ones that don't, don't. She still has a ton of fish. She just started a salt water tank & has two clown fish in it. It's really pretty. Between the other fresh water tank, the salt water tank, the tank with the hermit crabs, her two white cats & the kittens that were born under their house they are becoming a pet store lol

Enjoy your "babies" they'll be having babies before you know it.
I know how she feels. My DH has a 46 gal. saltwater tank with 2 clownfish, 2 green chromis, a flame angel, a purple firefish goby, and a purple dottyback. I have my 46 gal. tank with my fish and a 10 gal. nursery tank. I also have 2 cats and a dog.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:29 PM   #17
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherof6
They sound wonderful! Try putting a piece of nylon over the filter end. It should stop them from getting sucked up. The males anal fin is pointed. You sould be able to tell somewhere between 3 - 6 weeks old.
TYVM for the info on finding out if they're boys or girls. The people at PetsMart said that they didn't know how to tell. So, I'm glad someone could help me out with this.

As for the fish getting sucked into the filter box, they haven't anymore. I guess they finally got used to it. Smart fish.....LOL
Old 04-22-2006, 04:17 PM   #18
Stampin' Fool

another easy way to tell boys from girls: all girls have a "spot" in the tummy area.....black means they are preggo (most usual!) and pink mean's they are "empty".....I started out with about 6 feeder guppies (to help cycle a tank that all of a sudden went out of wack) and now am the proud mommy to probably 60 of the little buggers! I do practice selective culling (I have other non-guppy fish and only have so much room)...I go for the non prego girls because frankly they're not as pretty as the boys, and I've been getting some really pretty boys with each subsequent breeding! I also have adopted the "survival of the fittest" policy for all the babies. Hard but necessary Enjoy your little guys, they are a lot of fun.....you'll probably find yourself watching for the births, it's amazing!

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Old 04-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #19
Matboard Maniac

I had about 5 guppies once, and they must have all had basbies at the same time, because suddenly there were around THIRTY babies in the tank!!! Our Blue Lobster sure had a heyday catching his food for a while! LOL!!
Old 04-26-2006, 06:46 AM   #20
Stampin' Fool

I am so glad to find out that I am not the only fish freak here. I was showing my son the other day that our guppy was pregnant and to watch for babies and to let me know if he saw one in the tank because we have to get them out. And there swam infront of us a baby shark. I had just bought the shark so she must have come prego. The next day another little orange baby swims by another baby. I phoned all my family and they all thought I was nuts there only baby fish. There just so little and so cute.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:14 PM   #21
Stampin' Fool

hmmmm, does the blue lobster eat anything else? might try it for population control, but don't want to lose anything bigger than a guppy...

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Old 04-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #22
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouch!PaperCut
hmmmm, does the blue lobster eat anything else? might try it for population control, but don't want to lose anything bigger than a guppy...

Goldfish maybe? I wouldn't know since I've never had one.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #23
Die Cut Diva

Talking

Saints, don't worry, you're not the only fish freak. My DH has even started watching out for baby fishies, without me asking him too. LOL He told me last night that I have a couple of really prego guppies. What's cute is when he says "Fishy, Fishy, Fishy" in that little kid kinda voice. He didn't even want me to get guppies in the first place. Men......
Old 04-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #24
Die Cut Diva

You are going to have baby guppies galore. Those things multiply quick!

I have cichlids too and these fish breed like crazy. Right now I have several breeding pairs. Currently there are lots of little yellow lab babies and lots of little convicts. Anyone in the Austin area want some baby fish?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #25
Glitter Guru

you are sooo cute! I would be excited too!
Old 05-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #26
Die Cut Diva

Post More Baby Fishies

I have at least 10 or 11 more babies fishies and more on the way. DH moved the big babies from the nursery tank to the big tank about 4 days ago and moved some itty bitty babies into the nursery. I have at least 2 or 3 more prego fish. I finally decided that I don't need to buy anymore fish to replace the ones that die. It took me a while to realize that....LOL. I have a platy with pop-eye, but I'm not too worried about it since it's not contagious. I know that sounds cruel. DH felt bad when he was moving the babies into the nursery tank because he accidentally killed one. He was about to scoop it out of the rocks with the net when the dumb-butt fish decided to go under the metal edge of the net and got smushed. If my big tank gets overcrowded, I just might have to buy another tank.
Oh well, I'm off to check out the retired stamp list and the catalog.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #27
Mad Swapper

My childhood guppy had 112 babies at one time. Funny the things you remember!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #28
Die Cut Diva

LOL. I'm starting to wonder what am I going to do if I run out of room in my big tank. I suppose I could always sell them to Petland, not that I like Petland.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:06 AM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmarroquin
LOL. I'm starting to wonder what am I going to do if I run out of room in my big tank. I suppose I could always sell them to Petland, not that I like Petland.
you might have to give them away as feeder fish. Some pet stores won't take back those that breed that crazy...they already have tons!