Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-27-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default Two "Potter" characters will die

LONDON - Author
J.K. Rowling said two characters will die in the last installment of her boy wizard series, and she hinted Harry Potter might not survive either.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060627/...tain_rowling_6

Lets hope it's the Dursley's
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
Crimping Master

Her "they don't go after the extras" comment made it sound like it's really going to be central characters....
Old 06-27-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Insane Embellisher

Well, we can assume that You-Know-Who will die, right? I wonder if it's him and another character, or if she means two other characters besides him...

Lisa
John 16:33

A stranger's just a friend you haven't met!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Kookie Creator

And she's leaving us in suspense for how long before the book is published????

Diane
Old 06-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Insane Embellisher

No kidding! I just finished book 6, and now I have to wait a whole year for the next one?!?! What am I supposed to read until then?

Lisa

Old 06-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
Die Cut Diva

movie 5 comes out in july next year (i was hoping for november this year!) aarrgghh!! and still no word on when the last book will be published! she's killing me! lol
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

If I were her I would let us think she will kill Harry. I wonder if wizard's can have the power burned out of them. She doesn't want Harry and the others to be written about anyone else after the books are finished. I'm not sure how she is going to accomplish it but two ways I would stop it is to make sure the main character can continue after either by being stripped of magic or by writing such an involved epilogue at the ending telling what happens to everyone thereby killing the fun of writing about it.
I wish and hope that none of the three end up dead.

Sharon
Old 06-30-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
Kookie Creator

Rumor has it (from Mugglenet.com, I believe) that she wants the release date of Book 7 to be 07/07/07 - since 7 is the most magical number. This has created a bit of conflict between her and the movie release date scheduled for 07/13/07. Some have said that JKR has asked Warner Bros. to change the release date so that she can still have book 7 out when she planned.

Only time will tell. Many on Mugglenet.com believe that Harry is a Horacrux, and that in order to "vanquish" the dark lord would be to die himself, making Voldemort "mortal" (meaning that the only bit of soul left is the one in him) and then allowing one of the others to finish him off. This could be true since JKR was very careful in wording the prophecy in saying that Harry has the "power" to vanquish the dark lord, but not the he necessarily does the vanquishing himself. Also, vanquish does not necessarily meaning "killing".

As you can see, I am a huge HP fan and have filled my time since book six with reading all the rumors and speculations out there on how it will all end.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #9
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin
Only time will tell. Many on Mugglenet.com believe that Harry is a Horacrux, and that in order to "vanquish" the dark lord would be to die himself, making Voldemort "mortal" (meaning that the only bit of soul left is the one in him) and then allowing one of the others to finish him off. This could be true since JKR was very careful in wording the prophecy in saying that Harry has the "power" to vanquish the dark lord, but not the he necessarily does the vanquishing himself. Also, vanquish does not necessarily meaning "killing".

As you can see, I am a huge HP fan and have filled my time since book six with reading all the rumors and speculations out there on how it will all end.
I thought about that, too. Especially after reading the part about Harry asking if Nagini was a Horcrux, and D's answer to that. That would explain how You-Know-Who transferred some of his powers to Harry.

Lisa

Old 06-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
Kookie Creator

I don't think Harry is the horacrux... I think his scar is. Rowling has already said the last word in book 7 is 'scar'.

While I'm preparing for Harry to die, I'm so hoping he's not one of the two going. I'm thinking Snape will die saving Harry.

SCS Member #133
Old 06-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

I think Harry will witness Hermione being killed & die while avenging her death, but that's just my first guess.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryZ
I don't think Harry is the horacrux... I think his scar is. Rowling has already said the last word in book 7 is 'scar'.

While I'm preparing for Harry to die, I'm so hoping he's not one of the two going. I'm thinking Snape will die saving Harry.

Oooo, good one about the scar! I could see Snape saving Harry, since Harry's dad saved him...

Lisa

Old 07-01-2006, 06:40 AM   #13
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=MaryZ]I don't think Harry is the horacrux... I think his scar is. Rowling has already said the last word in book 7 is 'scar'.

I also wonder/question this, however, D's states that he believes Voldy was one horcrux shy of his 7, and was planning on using Harry's murder for that. Since Harry did not die, and assuming he did not use James' or Lily's murder for the task before finishing Harry,and because he believed he would destroy Harry, since he wanted Harry's murder for that Horcrux, did he have his soul ripped, in order to create the horcrux. Also, if it had to be performed after the murder, and the spell rebounded, making him Vapor-Mort, unable to hold a wand, etc, how could he have performed the, what I believe is, complicated spell to create the horcrux. That is unless someone else was there (Wormtail or Snape) to assist him. Also, if creating a horcrux is so complicated, which again I believe it is, how could one have been created "by accident".

All this and more lead me to believe that Book 7 is going to be one long book to cover all these questions (and many more) which obviously need to be answered to wrap up the story.

Have you thought about the role Dobby plays? Think of what he has done in the past to help/protect Harry. I do not think this is an accident. I think that Dobby will play a significant part in Book 7, and that possibly he is one of the two who die, obviously trying to save Harry.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #14
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin
Many on Mugglenet.com believe that Harry is a Horacrux, and that in order to "vanquish" the dark lord would be to die himself, making Voldemort "mortal" (meaning that the only bit of soul left is the one in him) and then allowing one of the others to finish him off. This could be true since JKR was very careful in wording the prophecy in saying that Harry has the "power" to vanquish the dark lord, but not the he necessarily does the vanquishing himself. Also, vanquish does not necessarily meaning "killing".
I would think that too, except didn't Voldemort try to kill Harry a couple of times now? First when he was trying to get the Sorcerer's Stone, again in the graveyard in GoF, and in the atrium in the Ministry of Magic (OOP)? Unless if Voldemort kills him it creates some sort of double jeopardy type thing. I don't know we will see. Hopefully sooner rather than later!
As far as ensuring no one writes about them, I don't see how she's going to do that considering people already do! Even if she writes a detailed epilogue, I think there will be someone trying to cash in on the Potter name. They could write about Lily & James, or even younger children's books about the acidental magic Harry did before going to Hogwarts. Wouldn't it be copyright infringement if they did though? I'm not exactly sure how that would work.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #15
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryZ

Actually, the last sentence is spoken by Ron and it goes something like "Harry! What happened to your scar?" Before the second book, JK let that line leak. Since then, she's backtracked it and admitted that the last word is "scar", but won't confirm or deny that last sentence. That in mind, although now she says it may have changed, I think Voldemort will definitely be one who dies...but, I'm also wondering if it might be Snape? Maybe Malfoy?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! You ladies have some very interesting theories about horcruxs.
I had no idea J.K. said two characters will die. I'll have to take a peek at that link. TFS
As far as who will die, I just can't believe it will be Hermione, Harry or Ron. J.K. wouldn't do that to all her fans. (at least that's what I keep telling myself)
Old 07-03-2006, 05:58 AM   #17
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=jodilynne516]I would think that too, except didn't Voldemort try to kill Harry a couple of times now? First when he was trying to get the Sorcerer's Stone, again in the graveyard in GoF, and in the atrium in the Ministry of Magic (OOP)? Unless if Voldemort kills him it creates some sort of double jeopardy type thing. I don't know we will see. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

I think that she wants us to believe that one has to die, however, two things come into play on this: One, Voldy has never heard the entire prophecy that we know of. In fact, we only know for sure that two people have, D and Harry. Maybe Snape heard the entire thing and chose only to tell Voldy part of it, this could be why D trusted him so much. Two, we have seen how the dementors can "kill a man without actually killing him" by kissing him. I think that this is going to be key in book seven. That maybe the trio destroy the horcruxes, then when it come time to get rid of Voldy, a dementor kisses him. This would suck out his soul, making him a virtual shell of a man.

I think that since JKR has not really introduced anything to date that has not played significance in later books, this is why we were introduced to the dementors in PoA.

I am a strong believer that the two who are definitely going to die are Voldy and Dobby. Dobby simply because of the secrets he has (remember, he was the house elf for the Malfoys for years, then for D since) and because of his somewhat undying loyalty to Harry. I really think that Dobby is going to be very key to Harry and his quest in Book 7.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:18 PM   #18
Pearl-ExPert

Wow- keep talking I'm loving all the info you all have! Just recently finished up book 6. So does anyone have any idea as to whom the initials are? My son keeps trying to come up with something.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:58 AM   #19
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzmom
Wow- keep talking I'm loving all the info you all have! Just recently finished up book 6. So does anyone have any idea as to whom the initials are? My son keeps trying to come up with something.
I believe that the initials are for Sirius' brother, Regulus A. Black, who was a death eater, and tried to leave before being killed.

Got together with some of my girlfriends on the fourth and we were discussing who could be the two that die, and one of them said this:

In each of the last three books someone who has the letters US in the end of their first name has died: In GoF: Bartemous Crouch, Sr. (and Jr. if you think of the Kiss of the Dementor as death); In OOTP: Sirius Black; IN HBP Albus Dumbledore.

By her calculations, there are only four key characters remaining that have those letters in the end of their first name: Lucius Malfoy, Remus Lupin, Severus Snape and Rubeus Hagrid. There is also Seamus Finnegan who fits this, although Seamus is not as key as the others.

More food for thought while we wait for answers.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! I had never thought that deep before!

So here is a question is Dumbledore really dead? I guess, I just kept thinking with all the info on looking inot the mind and doing spells without uttering a word that maybe his death was n't really a death, but rather for everyone to see- A way for Snape to prove himself to Voldermort. Okay I hate to think that he's dead!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:41 AM   #21
Kookie Creator

I do think that Dumbledore is dead. This is basic English Lit format - the mentor must die in order for the protagonist to continue his/her journey. However, I do believe that while D is gone in form, some part of him remains. He knew far more than he ever let Harry on to - and I think that there is a key player who holds these secrets - Dobby.

Re-reading all of the series I stumbled upon an interesting comment by Dobby - on pg. 380 of GoF, American Hardcover edition:

"Dobby is proud to keeps all his {Dumbledore's} secrets and our silence for him."

I think that Dobby is going to be very important to Harry in Book 7 in his journey for the horcruxes. House elves have special magic of their own and they move about the castle unknown to the humans who live there, they carry out their duties and such. I think that Dobby, and possibly the other house elves will be key in transferring info to Harry that D never did. Dobby has shown in the past his loyalty to Harry and his willingness to defy his masters to save Harry (in CoS). In my heart, I do not believe that JKR brought Dobby into the picture as simple "eye candy" - he has a purpose.

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast

As far as the characters who die, anyone thought about Ginny? Harry continually loses people who are close to him. Although I agree that Hagrid would be a great loss to him as well.

peggysue
Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #23
Stampin' Fool

I hate to say it but I think it is going to be Snape and Hagrid. I love both characters but I think they need will go. Hagrid is the last of Harry's protectors and so I think Harry has to be left to fight Voldy completely on his own.

I also think that Harry is going to find out that Snape is really on the good side and he is going to grow to respect, possibly even like him to a degree and then right after that, they will be battling LV together and Snape will die by the hand of LV.

Call me an optimist but I think that Harry and Ginny will marry and live happily ever after and the same with Hermione and Ron. They will all continue to be best friends adn their children will grow up as best friends too.

I think we also need to define who are main characters? When I hear main character, I think Harry, Ron and Herminone at first. Then there are so many others that may also be called "main" such as Ginny, Snape, Hagrid etc. I am hoping that JKR was talking about the larger list of main characters when she said that.

Jodi
Old 07-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #24
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpup
Hagrid is the last of Harry's protectors and so I think Harry has to be left to fight Voldy completely on his own.

Jodi
What about Minerva McGonogal? Don't rule her out as a protector. And, the Order of the Phoenix.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #25
Polyshrink Goddess

What about Wormtail? He owes Harry his life and even Dumbledore even said that that kind of debt does strange things to people, like in the case of Snape and James. The whole time Voldemort is going through the rite to get his body back Wormtail is trying to convince him not to use Harry but another enemy. I think he owes Harry big time and feels bad about what he done and may die defending Harry.

Sharon