Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Do you think Snape has always been bad?
Yes, I think he's always been bad 41 35.34%
No, I think he was good for a while, then went bad again 5 4.31%
I think he used to be bad, but is still good even though he axed Dumbledore 70 60.34%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Snape Poll - don't read if you haven't finished the book!

I know it seems silly, but I've really been wondering about this one.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
Gabfest Goddess

Personally I don't think he's bad now. He was bad when he was a death eater, but there has to be some reason that Dumbledore trusts him so much! I think that Snape did what D asked him to do, so that Malfoy wouldn't have the burden of a murder on his hands at such a young age. Remember both Snape and Dumbledore were accomplished in Legilimency and could "talk" to each other with their thoughts.

Not enough options in the poll

I vote for: He was bad, but turned good, pretended to be bad while still playing for the good team

How's that for an answer LOL
Old 07-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Right now, that's kind of the same way I'm feeling. I'm sure that I buy that he is totally bad right now.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:52 PM   #4
LSN
Glitter Guru

I don't believe that Snape is bad at all. I too believe that he was acting on Dumbledore's orders, I also think that when he was fighting Harry, that he was still trying to 'teach' Harry to prepare him for the battle against Lord Voldemort.

Linda
Old 07-29-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
Gallery Gazer

The opinions I have read on here have influenced me a lot, surprisingly! I think the fact that Harry has always disliked him means something. Dumbledore said himself that when he was wrong he was really wrong! JK Rowling says she is amazed and surprised at how much everyone likes Snape!!

I think it is Alan Rickman that I like, not Snape! I just checked out the DVD Sense and Sensibility last night, with him, Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson. *sigh* He is such a good actor, you have to like his character, too!! LOL! I would like to believe Snape is good, but the evidence is looking pretty bad right now. Harry might actually be the right one in this instance!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I finally finished the book last night. So I think I'm still in shock that Snape did what he did and that's why I'm just so confused!

Sometimes I think that he can't have gone THAT bad, and other times I'm just thinking "DUDE! He did it!!"

And I have to laugh about Alan Rickman because you're right! He makes me swoon in Sense and Sensibility, but gag in HP. However, he is a likeable actor and so that''s probably why so many people like Snape!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 PM   #7
Dirty Dozen Alumni

WoooHOOOO! Thanks Catie for adding another option for me!!
Old 07-29-2005, 11:07 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Emily

I am still undecided about Snape. I read the book the day I got it, and I have read all the discussions and opinions, but for me, I still am unsure. I feel like there are always secrets that are kept from the readers until the next book. I am not sure I would be surprised either way though. Dumbledore has trusted him through 6 books now, there mustbe a reason for that. Then again, the kids have always suspected him of wrong doings from the beginning. I didn't answer the poll cuz I really don't know.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:30 AM   #9
Insane Embellisher

I'm still undecided as well. Part of me thinks he might be under the imperius curse or something. There has to be some reason why dumbledore trusted him so much. I just don't know!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 03:03 PM   #10
Stampin' Fool

I personally don't believe that Dumbledore is dead... I think that this was all a ruse to get Snape closer to Draco, and in turn closer to Voldemort. I want to believe that Dumbledore wouldn't be "snowed" by someone like Snape...... he and Snape were working together and Snape deserves the trust Dumbledore has given him.
Please come visit my blog.... nancy's creative mess
Old 08-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #11
Watercolor Wizard

I am totally against Snape. I have always hated him in the books but like all of you like Alan Rickman. ( can I just say I love him in Die Hard)

If he is Evil, Harry will jack him up in the end.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:41 AM   #12
Ms. Brightside

Location: On the verge of greatness and the brink of insanity!

I agree with many of you. I stil hold out hope that Snape is good. I can't pinpoint why. I guess I am just blindly hoping that Dumbledore was right about him. Yes. There's the chance that JK wrote Dumbledore to be so trusting so that we would see that in the end he was fallible, but I don't buy it. I am such a positive thinker that I would like to believe that Snape will be the one that Harry turns to in the end. Is that sick or what? Do I just like to root for the bad guy? (Yes...I also take in stray dogs that no one will go near!

On the other hand, what do all of you think of the fact that Snape was the one (with Peter Pettigrew) who ratted out Harry's parents to Voldemort? Hmmmmmm....

I don't really stamp much. I'm just here for the company. :)
Old 08-02-2005, 08:55 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Colorado
On the other hand, what do all of you think of the fact that Snape was the one (with Peter Pettigrew) who ratted out Harry's parents to Voldemort? Hmmmmmm....
It certainly doesn't put him high on my list of imaginary people I want to "be better friends" with. HA HA HA HA HA HA

I've never liked him. I am not overly fond of adults (specifically those in authority positions) who 'terrorize' kids based on a grievance against the kid's parents. That whole "sins of the father" thing is ridiculus in my book.

So I am with Leslie on this one. It used to be, everytime I saw Alan in something-I saw his character from Robin Hood (Love that movie). He's mildly tasty.

~C
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Old 08-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurakj
... Remember both Snape and Dumbledore were accomplished in Legilimency and could "talk" to each other with their thoughts.
Also remember that they are both skilled in Occlumency.
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Old 08-02-2005, 05:39 PM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

I still can't decide......oh I wish book 7 was out already, wait 2 years to fins out everything????!! There is a lot of ground to cover in the last book.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #16
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I know. I hate waiting.

I was so happy to have a book to read, and now I think I'll go thru the series again while I'm waiting for Robert Jordan's next book.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:10 PM   #17
Gallery Gazer

Here is what I was thinking....no way Dumbledore could have been wrong about Snape period. There was something up between them, maybe the big D was going anyway for whatever reason and this got cooked up...mybe he is still alive(?) Without Dumbledore, Harry will not be as protected and it may flush out Voldy.

Or not.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:48 AM   #18
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to say that the only way I will ever like snape is if dumbledore isn't really dead. My sis thinks he is being controlled by lucius malfoy. I still wouldn't like him. I have hated him from the beginning and now hate him even more.

Katie
Old 08-06-2005, 03:12 PM   #19
Stampin' Fool

I don't like Snape at all, never have! However, I have to believe, in my Happy Place, that Dumbledore worked this out with him. I think he was horribly injured and had to do this in the end. Dumbledore believed in Snape without question and that's good enough for me, but it's really not looking good for the ol grease head at the moment. I hope in the end I'm wrong and Dumbledore turns up in book 7, that would be wonderful. I just don't think it's likely.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

I refuse to believe that Severus is bad. I just refuse. I know that Dumbledore has said that when he makes a mistake he makes them big, but I just don't think that he is wrong about Severus. I *want* him to be good. Besides, I'm clinging to the last conversation he had with Harry about keeping his mind closed. That was *help* if I ever saw it.

Docorate of De-Edumacation, Lawd, How Cum granted by Rainsong

"What's life if not doing things for other people?" Martin Gray

Eesay ymay allerygay !

ymay amperedpay efchay usinessbay
Old 08-17-2005, 10:16 AM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't believe that Dumbledore was wrong about Snape, also maybe just my trusting nature. I like to try to think the best of people and give them multiple chances.
I do believe that Dumbledore is truly dead. I have been rereading some of my other books and remember in OOP when Dumbledore was kicked out of the Wizangamot (sp?), Ron or someone joked that Dumbledore said he would be happy as long as they didn't take him off the chocolate frog cards? The former headmasters at Hogwarts still have a lot of power to dispense advice and can "travel" to any of their portraits or photos that they like. Imagine the reach and scope he can have to find out information now that he's "dead" traveling between cards, pictures and portraits. JMHO
peggysue
Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #22
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggysue
I don't believe that Dumbledore was wrong about Snape, also maybe just my trusting nature. I like to try to think the best of people and give them multiple chances.
I do believe that Dumbledore is truly dead. I have been rereading some of my other books and remember in OOP when Dumbledore was kicked out of the Wizangamot (sp?), Ron or someone joked that Dumbledore said he would be happy as long as they didn't take him off the chocolate frog cards? The former headmasters at Hogwarts still have a lot of power to dispense advice and can "travel" to any of their portraits or photos that they like. Imagine the reach and scope he can have to find out information now that he's "dead" traveling between cards, pictures and portraits. JMHO
peggysue
I pretty much agree with this. I think that Snape is the ultimate deep operative for the Order. I need to go back and reread the earlier books, but didn't he save Harry on a few occasions? If Dumbledore is dead (and I think that he is) he will still have some influence and I think it was a part of the master plan of the Order. Then again, I might be letting the portrayal of Snape in the movies cloud my opinion. Like I said, I have to go back and reread them all.

My stuff (I think I am starting to get the hang of this obsession!):
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=7739
Old 08-21-2005, 10:33 PM   #23
Die Cut Diva

Did anyone see the biography of JK Rowling on A&E? She said that in book 7 she was going to right a wronged death. I'm not sure is those are the exact words, but that is what she said. Maybe that means that Dumbledore isn't dead? I'm still holding out hope that Harry's parents or Sirius will come back.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:22 AM   #24
Polyshrink Goddess

I voted for Snape being good even though he axed Dumbledore. Check out this website also: www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com It's got some interesting citations and theories.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #25
Pearl-ExPert

I love Snape. I think he was in love with Lily, and never recovered when she chose James. I think Snape is conflicted over Harry. He sees so much of James in him, but he has Lily's eyes...

I don't believe Dumbledore is truly dead. I think D forced Snape to "kill" him so he could gain ultimate trust from Voldemort's camp and be a mega player.

Of course, who can see Severus and not see Alan Rickman? Don't we love our multi-talented Brits? And by Grapthar's hammer, he is a HOTTIE! Zum, zum!

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Old 09-06-2005, 10:27 PM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

These are my feelings about Snape... Initially I came away from HBP with a deep-seated hatred for Snape...what ever his motives for killing Dumbledore and protecting Malfoy were, I hated him for doing them. Throughout the series, Snape has treated Harry and other students in an abhorent manner...what ever his personal feeling towards a student might be he has a responsibility as a teacher to behave in acceptable manner towards them! He has never restrained himeslf regarding his behavior with Harry and taken considerable glee in making him miserable whenever possible. It is my feeling, Snape does what he wants...whatever makes him feel happy, satisfied or powerful and his sole concern is for himself. And even if it turns out he allied himself on the "good side" I will never see him as a good person.
As for Dumbledore...I believe he is dead! His portrait appeared in his office, his body shows no signs of life and JKR has said once you're dead you're dead...there is no returning from the dead unless you choose not to move on and become a ghost. Plus it is my opinion that DD had to die so Harry could face Voldy alone. DD is the mentor, the sage, the father figure in the stories...not the protagonist OR the subject of the prophesy. JMHO~
Old 09-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #27
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKKatie
I'm still undecided as well. Part of me thinks he might be under the imperius curse or something. There has to be some reason why dumbledore trusted him so much. I just don't know!!!
I like that thinking. But even if so, I just can't stand the guy! I think I'd be more mad if he wasn't a villian! He is so easily despised.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #28
Mad Swapper

Location: in a seaside cottage in Maine, IRL off the Beltway in Northern VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffgirl
Of course, who can see Severus and not see Alan Rickman? Don't we love our multi-talented Brits? And by Grapthar's hammer, he is a HOTTIE! Zum, zum!
ROFLOL
love that movie, back to Snape, I think he is good and I agree he was in love with Lily, she was friendly with him too, remember she yelled at James and the gang when they teased Snape in school. I have a secret warped idea that Snape is actually Harry's father, wouldn't that be a twist and a half

Forget Regret Or Life Is Yours To Miss
Old 09-07-2005, 08:10 PM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Yikes!!
I think if Snape turned out to be Harry's father, I'd burn my HP books and never look back, LOL!! But then I cant stand the character so go figure...
Old 09-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #30
Polyshrink Goddess

Warped but no way especially seeing as everyone says he looks like James but has Lily's eye. Yuck can you even imagine the type of kid Snape would spawn.

Sharon
Old 09-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #31
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I went to Legoland today and got a Snape keychain because it glows in the dark.

but I still think he's bad
Old 09-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #32
Compulsive Stamper

I agree that Dumbledores dead because his picture showed up in his office. But I am inclined to think that he did ask Snape to kill him (that was the fight Nearly Headless Nick overheard between Snape and Dumbledore?). Maybe to make Voldemort think that he can be trusted and then he will help Harry find the remaining Horcruxs or defeat Voldemort. I mean honestly how is a 17 year old supossed to find them all when even Dumbledore could only locate 2? Maybe we'll get to see Snapes memory in the pencieve of whatever it was that made Dumbledore trust him?

Anyone else out there want to see an 8th book about Harry settling down (with Ginny) and leading a normal, happy, wizard life?

It's going to be so hard waiting for the next book!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:44 AM   #33
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Post HPB continued

I'm torn...there's too many possibilities...

I'm glad there was someone besides my son and I who think that Dumbledore in his portraits may provide all the help Harry may need (even tho' he doesn't get it yet) in the tasks set before him.

(I removed a question I asked before editing this post--it has it's own thread.)

The next book won't be soon enough for me!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 10-28-2005 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Don't want to be accused of hijacking the post! or killing it!