Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #41
Insane Embellisher

I can't believe I forgot about A Girl Named Zippy! My book group discussed it last night. It's the memoir of a woman growing in a very small (pop. 300) town in Indiana, set in the late 60s, early 70s. It's pretty hilarious and written in mostly short essays about funny things in her childhood. I laughed out loud frequently, and what I really liked about it was that it wasn't one of those icky sordid memoirs like Running With Scissors, which is sort of like passing a car accident -- I couldn't stop reading it because I had to find out what happened, but it wasn't anything I'd like to think about again. Zippy is a much more positive book, with a great ending. This is pretty uplifting.

Oh, and she's written a sequel, called She Got Up Off the Couch. I started it and it's pretty good too.

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -- Louisa May Alcott
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=15375
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #42
Die Cut Diva

Lots of great suggestions going....if you are looking for more a self help inspirational type book...Try "Humor for a Woman's Heart"---there are some others compiled by the same author--it is a compiliation of mini stories that will make you laugh and give you a fresh look on your own life.
Another is called "She's Gonna Blow"--if your house is like mine--this one made me really laugh.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:05 PM   #43
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampingkaren
Also, one of the best books I read this year was "Winter Wheat" by Mildred Walker. I'd never heard of it but it was in this great book called "The Book Club Cookbook" which has 100 books for book groups, plus recipes. "Winter Wheat" is set in the 1940s and it's about an 18-year-girl who was raised on a wheat farm in Montana and is leaving home to go to college and all the changes she's going through. It's really well written, one of the best books I've ever read. It's a little hard to find but it's definitely worth it.
I have to tell you something funny. This book sounded good so I did a search for this book at my library's website. I found Winter Wheat and read it. I kept waiting for her to go to college, but she didn't . But I enjoyed the book so I was about to post a "Thank you" for recommending a book.
And now I see there are two books called Winter Wheat. The one I read is by Jeanne Williams. It is enjoyable.
So, thanks and I'll try to find the one you recommended.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #44
Die Cut Diva

And, how could I forget the Sister Chick series by Robin Jones Gunn.
They are light hearted and funny, They go to cool places like Paris and Venice. I always feel a little like I've been to those places.
I particluarly enjoy the character development in these books.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #45
Gallery Gazer

One of my favorite older inspirational books is a classic, The Road Less Traveled (M. Scott Peck), have you read that one? I need to re-read it soon. Another very easy read that is more modern is called The Four Agreements (I can't think of the author's name!), also a terrific book!

I love to re-read Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen) and The Outlander (Diane Gabaldon) when I am down!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #46
Hardware Hotshot

I recently listened to an audiobook (I recently began commuting an hour each way to work). It was quite inspirational. The name of the book was Breakthrough Prayer. There were some really inspiring real life stories in the book and it's so cool how they tie together in the end... I recommend it for anyone looking for a pick-me-up.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #47
Mad Swapper

The Alchemist, by Paolo Coelho. It reminds you to listen to your heart and never stop seeking your passion.

View My Gallery
Old 12-27-2006, 01:39 PM   #48
Embossing Fanatic

Default Great reads

I have to admit that they are not self help. They are not real smutty either. Jennifer Crusie is AWESOME!!!! She has written several books, Faking it, Bet me, Anyone but you,etc. The names are provacative but the books are not. They are great. Also, Mary Kay Andrews is wonderful. I suggested her books to my sister who has not read anything in YEARS and now she is reading daily. They are also very good, light hearted pick me ups.
Good Luck and Happy New Year!
Robyn
Old 01-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #49
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Ditto on the Mary Kay Andrews. Betty MacDonald wrote The Egg and I which was turned into a movie with Fred MacMurray, but my absolute favorite of hers is called Onions in the Stew, about living on Vashon island. I laugh till I cry at this one, and my best friend and I throw quotes from it to each other all the time. She talks about weird neighbors, her teenage daughters, horrible recipes, her 2nd husband, all of it hilarious.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #50
Insane Embellisher

Standing In The Rainbow by Fannie Flagg

You will laugh, you will cry, and you will love the characters!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #51
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewinkle
And, how could I forget the Sister Chick series by Robin Jones Gunn.
They are light hearted and funny, They go to cool places like Paris and Venice. I always feel a little like I've been to those places.
I particluarly enjoy the character development in these books.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series!!! I'm waiting for the next book and it's not coming fast enough.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #52
Kookie Creator

I just finished reading SCRAP EVERYTHING by Leslie Gould. It was a wonderful book - one that makes you look at what is really important in life, recognizes that we all have struggles and still manages to bring a little bit of scrapbooking into the theme. I loved it so much I sent an e-mail to the author expressing how much the book inspired me to gather with my friends more and value our connections. She responded by sending me two complimentary copies of her first two books. WOW! Talk about impressed!
Old 01-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #53
CBC Lady Violet

I second the nomination for Deanne Gist's book A Bride Most Begrudging. It did make me cry at times, but mostly it was just plain funny! I also enjoyed her next book The Measure of Lady just as much.
Another nomination for Jan Karon's Mitford series too.
I LOVED Francine Rivers' A Lineage of Grace series.
I'll read anything by Lori Wick, although Sophie's Heart, The Princess and The English Garden series remain my favourites.
The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister and The Secret of the Rose series by Micheal Phillips are also some of my favourite books.