Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: What did you think of Half Blood Prince?
Loved it- the best in the series so far 39 39.39%
Loved it- but not my favorite of the series 48 48.48%
Liked it- could've been better 7 7.07%
It was okay 2 2.02%
Hated it 1 1.01%
Who's Harry Potter??? 3 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
Kookie Creator

Default HP & Half Blood Prince-- did you like it? (WARNING-- Possible Spoilers)

Ok, for those of you who have finished HP&HBP.... what did you think?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up

I have to say it's my favorite so far! I love how we get so many answers to our questions, but yet she's still left plenty for us to theorize over and try to figure out!
I loved how she had the whole "dating" or should I say "snogging" thing going on! And I just love Ron/Hermione-- It's so typical for teenagers to play the whole jealousy thing. I loved it!
I think it's great how Harry, etc. have matured so much and how his viewpoint has changed throughout the series and as much as I'll miss DD, I loved the trip to the Horocrux and the battle in Hogwarts!

What did you think?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert

The first is still my favorite. The whole introduction to the wizarding world, He Who Must Not be Named, Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and Quidditch. It was an introduction to a wonderfully created fantasy world. I think my least favorite is COS. Only because it is just not as thrilling as the other books, but there is still so much that I love about that one as well. I used to think that JKR couldn't possibly create a more amusing character than Gilderoy Lockheart and then she went and created Dolores Umbridge.

I truly believe that JKR is becoming a much better writer with each book. And I LOVE the names she uses, not only for people but for spells and wizarding objects as well. She has done some wonderful research into etymology!! I use the words in her books to teach my kids Latin! Last year as a fun exercise we made up "spells and hexes" using Latin words and phrases. Sometimes I find myself in a fit of giggles over something she has written and her choice of words. As much as I would love for her to crank out a book a year, I can wait if they continue to be as good as book 6 was written! I theorize that the books have become more sophisticated as her audience has gotten older. The kids that originally read Philospher's Stone (as we refer to it in our house) are now young adults, so the language, style, and content has to become more mature as well.

Docorate of De-Edumacation, Lawd, How Cum granted by Rainsong

"What's life if not doing things for other people?" Martin Gray

Eesay ymay allerygay !

ymay amperedpay efchay usinessbay
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Matboard Maniac

I liked it but am not sure if I love it yet.....I love all the others and book 3 being my favorite ( I think) I am still having a hard time grasping a lot that has gone on and I am not crazy about the begining of the book for somereason.....I need to start my re-read and take my time and think about what is going on....I think the story line of "Won Won" and Lavender was a bit much but whatever......

I do like the fact they we get alot of answers and have new questions and learn about Tom Riddle and things but I really want to know about James and Lily......ahh I have 2 years to re-read all 6 books now at least 3-4 times.....
Old 07-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

This is definitly my favorite book in the series! I was a bit dissappointed in OOP and am very happy to say this is her best work ever. Her writing style and attention to the most minute detail never ceases to amaze me! I do feel her writing has built beautifully on itself since the first book but since she never intended the septology to be a children's series (that was her publisher's idea) I dont see her work become more sophisticated as her audience has gotten older, I see her books becoming more grown up as Harry has gotten older...because essentially they are from his point of view. (with the exception of a few a few behind the scenes chapters.)
Old 07-19-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
Crimping Master

I am thinking maybe 5 was my favorite – It seemed a much easier read and I was hooked at the beginning – not like 6. Maybe it was outside factors and I couldn’t concentrate like I did on 5.

Angie
Old 07-20-2005, 05:06 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

6 is by far my favorite. The best in the series so far. I can't wait to read #7. My DH has already read 6 all the way through once and is almost done reading it a second time. I have a feeling I will read it several times before 7 comes out.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

HP & HBP is my favorite yet! I love all of the Harry Potter books but, this one grabbed my attention from the beginning. I constantly thought of the book until I finished it. Once I finished HP&HBP I find that my thoughts go back to it often during the day- it has been fun to speculate what could happen in book 7!! I laughed, I cried.... well, I felt all sorts of emotions and had a hard time leaving the Wizard world. It's a good book when you feel as if you belong in the story with them!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
Matboard Maniac

I didn't want it to end. Boo-Hoo! My dd kept asking me if I was finished & I told her NO I don't want it to end because then I have nothing after to read. Hopefully JKR won't make us wait as long for the next one.

I was crying so much at the end - I was so sad I didn't want to go to work today. LOL
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney șoș
Old 07-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #10
Sawyer's Texas LOSTie

I loved this book, much better than #5! But the first two are still my favorites!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:03 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

PoA is still my favorite.
Just sayin'
©atie 2005

ND rules!

Old 08-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #12
Polyshrink Goddess

I loved this book, but then hated it at the same time. This book for me was like the movie "The Empire Strikes Back" in the Star Wars series. Not most peoples favorite, but absolutely necessary for the plot line.

Katie
Old 08-06-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
Stampin' Fool

I loved this book, but Goblet of Fire is my fav. I'm still not sure what's up with Snape, he's been so easy to dislike from the get go. I just don't want to believe it! I hope in the end it's something he and Dumbledore had discussed. I want to talk about so much of this but I don't want to spoil it for those that haven't read it yet. It took me forever because of trips and family moving in temporarily. It was constantly on my mind before I finished and I still find myself wandering back into the wizarding world.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #14
Compulsive Stamper

i loved the book, couldn't put it down. It leave you waiting for the next book. i have theories, that Dumbledore really didn't die. That there going to bring him back in the next issue to see Harry in private. To help him with research.
Let everyone think he really died
Old 08-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #15
Gabfest Goddess

Loved it, but not my favorite. Goblet of Fire is still my fave of the series. When I read OOP for the first time I HATED it, but then I re-read 2 more times and it really is a good book. I think what I hated was who she killed. I was so mad at her for that! Anyway I can't wait for #7
Old 08-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #16
Hardware Hotshot

We just finished it tonight. We read it together as a family and that was pretty cool. We were just doing 1 chapter a night but then the last few days we've done 2 to 3 chapters. I loved it but at the same time I don't think it was the best one. But there is nothing like it and I will be soooo sad when the series is over! It looks like this next book is going to have a different environment, no Hogwarts? That will be different. Of course that could all change in the first chapter!

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Old 08-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #17
Ross' Island Lobster

I loved it but Goblet of Fire is still my favorite!!
Old 08-14-2005, 11:42 AM   #18
Die Cut Diva

Smile HP & HBP

I loved this book except for one thing.......why did Dumbledore have to die? I was watching a biography on JK Rowling on A&E (I think it was A&E) and she said that in book 7 she's going to "right a wronged death". My husband thinks it means Dumbledore's coming back. I think it means that either Sirius or Harry's parents are coming back. Probably just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 PM   #19
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmarroquin
I loved this book except for one thing.......why did Dumbledore have to die? I was watching a biography on JK Rowling on A&E (I think it was A&E) and she said that in book 7 she's going to "right a wronged death". My husband thinks it means Dumbledore's coming back. I think it means that either Sirius or Harry's parents are coming back. Probably just wishful thinking on my part.
I think it'll be Sirius who's death is "righted", because the way he "died" was so different than either Harry's parents or Dumbledores. Sirius fell through the archway, supposedly into an area of spirits, unlike Harry's parents or Dumbledore who were cursed. I would love it if they all could come back and have a wonderful happy ending, but I doubt that's going to happen. I just hope JK Rowling doesn't kill off Harry somehow. I'd like for at least Sirius to be able to come back so Harry could have the closest thing to a parent he's ever had. After all that poor kid's been put through, he deserves a major break!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #20
Insane Embellisher

PoA was my favorite, too. I just love Sirius and Lupin.

Lisa
John 16:33

A stranger's just a friend you haven't met!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #21
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Goodness, seems I can never pick my fav out of the series. Each time I reread one it's my "fav of the moment" until I read another one! As posted earlier, I do love the first one in a special way b/c of it being our intro into the magical world.