Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
Forum Fanatic

Default February 06 Book Club Selection

Hope everyone is enjoying the book club here at SCS. I have liked all of the books that have been picked so far. It's my turn to choose the next book for the month of February. So the book I selected is Wicked by Gregory Maguire.
It's been on my "to read list," I thought this would be a good time to read it. The back of the book says:

When Dorothy truimphed over the Wicked Witch of the West in L. Frank Baum's classic tale, we heard only her side of the story. But what about her arch-nemesis, the mysterious Witch? How did she become so wicked? And what is the true nature of evil?

Here's hoping it's a good read!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-11-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Gabfest Goddess

Woo Hoo! I've been wanting to read this!

And if we finish early, we should read "Son of a Witch" by the same author

Last edited by laurakj; 01-11-2006 at 03:09 PM..
Old 01-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Ross' Island Lobster

Ack I have been wanting to read this as well. Great pick...I can't wait!!!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Ross' Island Lobster

Ok I am number 2 on the waiting list for this book at the library. I hope it gets returned soon and the other person reads like the wind, LOL!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Gabfest Goddess

I bought this a few years ago and never read it! I hope I can find it!
Old 01-12-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

A book club too! woo hoo! This group gets better everyday! I may never get off my computer (except of course to stamp... and now read)!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbra1224
A book club too! woo hoo! This group gets better everyday! I may never get off my computer (except of course to stamp... and now read)!
I know, isn't it great here?!
Old 01-13-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Forum Fanatic

I just heard something about this...it was a musical too. My friends saw it and said it was awesome.

Off to request it at the library!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Old 01-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
Crimping Master

yay! this book has been on my list for a while. good choice!
Old 01-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
Hardware Hotshot

I have the book by my bedside and have only read about 1/8 of it. I'll try to pick it up again.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:11 AM   #11
Mad Swapper

OH, sounds good - off the library website to reserve it!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:39 AM   #12
Rubber Obsessor

This sounds like a really fun series. I just checked my local libraries and there are multiple holds on their copies. So, if anyone finds this book or any of the series for a great deal, let me know!!

"What I do today is important because I am paying a day of my life for it -- What I accomplish must be worthwhile because the price is high"
Old 01-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessj
This sounds like a really fun series. I just checked my local libraries and there are multiple holds on their copies. So, if anyone finds this book or any of the series for a great deal, let me know!!
I got lucky and there is only 1 ahead of me.

Remember, if anyone is looking to buy the book and is going to use Amazon make sure you use the link from the SCS homepage as they get some $ from the purchase!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #14
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I am SOOOOO excited that you have picked "Wicked" to read in February, Vicki! My dd (16 years old) and her friends, who love everything Broadway, are OBSESSED with Wicked! So, that makes me sort of obsessed too! She listens to the soundtrack non-stop in the car! (I don't drive, so I have heard it alot!)

Anyway, I got "Drowning Ruth" from the library (the first selection of the book club) and I tried to read it, but I couldn't . I had a bone-marrow transplant almost ten years ago, followed by a stroke caused by a bleed in my brain. Anyway, I used to read incessantly, but unfortunately I do not have the ability to do so any longer. I am in a book club at my church and I read a couple of books that I loved i.e. "The Secret Life of Bees" and "The Girl with a Pearl Earring". They didn't have too many characters. I have also tried to read quite a few that I just couldn't "get into".

Anyway, on to the point of my post ~ My dd, my best friend and her dd are traveling to Philadelphia in March to see "Wicked". We gave our daughter's and ourselves tickets for Christmas. I have been told that I really need to read the book before I see the play ~ so this gives me an excellent opportunity! Thanks for choosing this book !!!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:12 AM   #15
Forum Fanatic

I'm so glad that everyone seems happy with the choice of Wicked for February. I was soooo afraid that no one would want to read it. Thanks everyone, now I can relax. Happy reading.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #16
Rubber Obsessor

At first, I wasn't sure whether this was the story that the theatrical production was based on, so I looked it up on Amazon. After looking up this book and reading about the author and other books he's done (Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, Mirror...Mirror, Son of a Witch) I think I might be hooked. I haven't seen the production yet. I may have to after I've read the book. Thanks for a good pick!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #17
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, this is a hard one to get a hold of! I think every library near me has their's out. At least most of them are due back at end of this month or first week of February! I guess I will have to do some power reading again. LOL
Old 01-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, now you have me interested. I LOVE to read, but have never gotten a chance to read any of the bookclub selections. Since I LOVE the Wizard of Oz, I guess it's off to the bookstore in search of this one!!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #19
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliePam

Anyway, I got "Drowning Ruth" from the library (the first selection of the book club) and I tried to read it, but I couldn't . I had a bone-marrow transplant almost ten years ago, followed by a stroke caused by a bleed in my brain. Anyway, I used to read incessantly, but unfortunately I do not have the ability to do so any longer. I am in a book club at my church and I read a couple of books that I loved i.e. "The Secret Life of Bees" and "The Girl with a Pearl Earring". They didn't have too many characters. I have also tried to read quite a few that I just couldn't "get into".
BilliePam, this is a no pressure book club. So if you don't want to or can't read any book for any reason it's ok! We're not counting who reads or when they read by. Just join in when you can

I went to the library and picked up my reserved copy today. Looks interesting! And from the back of the book he's also done a book on Cinderalla and Snow White if I'm understanding right?

Where does the Son of Wicked come into play?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsmorestamps!
I went to the library and picked up my reserved copy today. Looks interesting! And from the back of the book he's also done a book on Cinderalla and Snow White if I'm understanding right?

Where does the Son of Wicked come into play?
I believe it's "Son of a Witch" and it comes after "Wicked". It's about an adolescent boy that is believed to be the Wicked Witch's son. He is discovered after the witch is killed by Dorothy. I haven't read either of these books yet, but I'd like to read them both as well as the other stories by this author. They all sound very interesting, don't they?
Old 01-18-2006, 03:41 PM   #21
Matboard Maniac

Question

Hi,
I'd like to join in the group. I've already read Wicked but I'll review it again so I can be up to date for the discussions. I've just finished Son of a Witch and the earlier description is apt. If you like Wicked when you read it I suggest that one as well, it was a little tougher to get through but enjoyable nonetheless if you stick with it. I also read Maguire's Tales of an Ugly Stepsister and hated it! I loved Wicked soooo much that I was disappointed but Son got me back on the Maguire fan bus. I've heard that Through the Looking Glass doesn't really have much to do with Snow White but I haven't had a chance to read it myself and verify. I have tickets for Wicked here in Boston in April and I can't wait to see it! I'm such a Wizard of Oz groupie I'm sure I'll love it! Make sure you watch the movie too while reading Wicked, it will help with a lot of the references in the book if the movie is fresh on your mind!

Let me know if it's okay for me to join in, I'm a little late for the January book but I think I'll pick it up to read anyway since everyone seems to have loved it so much!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #22
Matboard Maniac

Exclamation

Oh and BilliePam have you tried books on tape? I don't know if you are able to listen better than you're able to sustain your reading but maybe that would be an alternative way for you to enjoy the stories without being frustrated by not being able to enjoy the text like you used to. I'm a teacher and I have many students who've been able to access text in this manner. I even use books on tape when I'm traveling long distances..no annoying commercials that way!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #23
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

OK, I haven't done Dec or Jan because my library is lame (either that or someone on here lives around me and I don't know it ). So I went and bought this book! I will definitely be participating this time!!

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Old 01-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #24
Rubber Obsessor

Ohhh... I am excited and a little irritated. I went online and reserved a copy of this book at my local libary and I was the 13th hold. So I decided to go to Barnes & Noble this afternoon to buy the book. It rang up at $12.00 and I thought I was doing OK with that. THEN.... I went to the library to pick up a few other books that were on hold and.....THERE is "Wicked" in my stack. Not 15 minutes after I bought it! Ergggggg. So, I guess I will return it over the weekend and hope B&N does not give me grief. I guess if they do, I will just HAVE to exchange it for "Son of as Witch". If only I had gone to the library first (slaps forhead & says doh!).

So that was the irritated part, the excited part is that as soon as I finish this post, it is off the bed for me to start....the book!

Sweet Dreams ALL!

"What I do today is important because I am paying a day of my life for it -- What I accomplish must be worthwhile because the price is high"
Old 01-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #25
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboss1
Oh and BilliePam have you tried books on tape? I don't know if you are able to listen better than you're able to sustain your reading but maybe that would be an alternative way for you to enjoy the stories without being frustrated by not being able to enjoy the text like you used to. I'm a teacher and I have many students who've been able to access text in this manner. I even use books on tape when I'm traveling long distances..no annoying commercials that way!
I love books on tape/cd. I have a rather long commute every day and they help calm the traffic insipred rage!!! Also, they are great to pop in if you ever get the chance to get out of the house & go for a walk. (mental note: take more walks). My library actually does have a copy of "Wicked" on CD, but it is checked out until mid February.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #26
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Ohhh... I am excited and a little irritated. I went online and reserved a copy of this book at my local libary and I was the 13th hold. So I decided to go to Barnes & Noble this afternoon to buy the book. It rang up at $12.00 and I thought I was doing OK with that. THEN.... I went to the library to pick up a few other books that were on hold and.....THERE is "Wicked" in my stack. Not 15 minutes after I bought it! Ergggggg. So, I guess I will return it over the weekend and hope B&N does not give me grief. I guess if they do, I will just HAVE to exchange it for "Son of as Witch". If only I had gone to the library first (slaps forhead & says doh!).

So that was the irritated part, the excited part is that as soon as I finish this post, it is off the bed for me to start....the book!

Sweet Dreams ALL!
So, I only got about 30 pages in before I fell asleep. Not because of lack of interest, more from lack of sleep! So far it has my attention. Great pick!!

Old 01-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #27
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Sweet Dreams ALL!

I don't think they'll give you any grief at all -- as long as you have the receipt I'm sure they'll be cool about it (and maybe even without the receipt. I have returned books there simply because I hated them and they were fine with it (in perfect condition of course).

I'm on the wait list for my copy -- I think I'm #120!! Though they have at least 50 copies, so the wait might not be that long after all. "Wicked" the musical is coming to Tampa soon, it is almost completely sold out. If I try hard I might be able to get a single ticket.

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -- Louisa May Alcott
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=15375
Old 01-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #28
Glitter Guru

Is this the actual title of the book?

Wicked: The life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West

That is what my library shows... I just want to make sure I am getting the right book! Thanks!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #29
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyBeth
Is this the actual title of the book?

Wicked: The life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West

That is what my library shows... I just want to make sure I am getting the right book! Thanks!
Yes, that is the title of the book!

Old 01-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #30
Forum Fanatic

bump
Old 01-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #31
Glitter Guru

OK... good. I have it reserved at the library. I should get it Tuesday 1/24/06.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #32
Polyshrink Goddess

wow... I didn't know you guys had a book club on here. Yippee. I read this book in November... and have since read "Son of A Witch", "Mirror, Mirror" and "The Ugly Stepsister" all by Maguire. A little crazy, and you really have to kind of put aside some of what you watched in the movie (Wizard of Oz) b/c it's very different. But the book is fantabulous! And I hope it will be okay for me to join in the discussion here!!!

Old 01-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #33
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytinkerbell
wow... I didn't know you guys had a book club on here. Yippee. I read this book in November... and have since read "Son of A Witch", "Mirror, Mirror" and "The Ugly Stepsister" all by Maguire. A little crazy, and you really have to kind of put aside some of what you watched in the movie (Wizard of Oz) b/c it's very different. But the book is fantabulous! And I hope it will be okay for me to join in the discussion here!!!
Feel free to join in - the more the merrier!! We start the discussion threads the third week of the month to give us some time to read and stamp!!

We try to post the next month's book by the 15th of the month prior so that we have time to find them. Read along whenever you can!!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:15 AM   #34
Rubber Obsessor

I'm so excited that you have a bookclub!! Each day I get more and more addicted to this site. Off to reserve Wicked!

Mom to Mia 4/21/03
Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #35
Stazon Splitcoast

Ohhh...I just went online to put this on hold at my library. I hope I get it soon.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:10 PM   #36
Rubber Obsessor

Finished the book tonight. I think I am going to try and re-read some parts again before the discussion!!!!

Old 01-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #37
Mad Swapper

Ok, I've started the book but I'm finding that my memory of events in the Wizard of Oz are lacking. I've never read the book and it's been years since I've watched the movie.

Using the movie only as my base aren't the good witch and bad witch sisters? The bad witch has the ruby slippers but does anyone know how she got them or what they from or what they mean or do? Any other background I should remember from the movie before getting too far into the book?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:55 AM   #38
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsmorestamps!
Ok, I've started the book but I'm finding that my memory of events in the Wizard of Oz are lacking. I've never read the book and it's been years since I've watched the movie.

Using the movie only as my base aren't the good witch and bad witch sisters? The bad witch has the ruby slippers but does anyone know how she got them or what they from or what they mean or do? Any other background I should remember from the movie before getting too far into the book?
If you remember from the movie, there is the WW of the East, the WW of the West and Glinda the Good Witch. The WW W and WW E are sisters, Glinda is not related. The WW East has the ruby slippers and is killed when Dorothy's house falls on her. Glinda comes to Dorothy and tells her the Wizard can help her get home. This is when Dorothy get the slippers. I don't think the movie ever tells you how the slippers came to be the WW East. (not sure though) Then throughout the movie the WW West is after Dorothy. The book fills in a lot of the blanks, and is obviously from a different point of view than the movie.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #39
Mad Swapper

Quote:
If you remember from the movie, there is the WW of the East, the WW of the West and Glinda the Good Witch. The WW W and WW E are sisters, Glinda is not related. The WW East has the ruby slippers and is killed when Dorothy's house falls on her. Glinda comes to Dorothy and tells her the Wizard can help her get home. This is when Dorothy get the slippers. I don't think the movie ever tells you how the slippers came to be the WW East. (not sure though) Then throughout the movie the WW West is after Dorothy. The book fills in a lot of the blanks, and is obviously from a different point of view than the movie.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much!! I had forgotten that there was 2 WW and only remembered the one. I haven't seen the movie in a LONG time. Maybe I should rent it
Old 01-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #40
Forum Fanatic

Okay ladies, have you started the book Wicked yet? What do you think? It's taking me a while to get into it.