Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2006, 10:32 AM   #1
Polly Pocket

Default Confessions of a Shopaholic lovers?

Hello All!

I thought that I'd start a thread about the Confessions of a Shopaholic books since I've really been enjoying them. I bought my mom Confessions while my dad was in the hospital, and she said that it really lifted her spirits. I recently read Confessions and have purchased almost all of the books in the series. I also read The Undomestic Goddess and Can You Keep A Secret?. I do have a question for other Shopaholic Lovers out there? Is this the correct order:

1. Confessions of a Shopaholic
2. Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
3. Shopaholic Ties the Knot
4. Shopaholic and Sister

And, where do Shopaholic Abroad and the Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic fit in? Thanks for your help!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Ross' Island Lobster

Hi sweetie. I bought Confessions of a Shopaholic but haven't read it yet. I will have to move it up in the pile of must reads on the night stand.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Polly Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai17
Hi sweetie. I bought Confessions of a Shopaholic but haven't read it yet. I will have to move it up in the pile of must reads on the night stand.
Hey, Kim! I think that you will like it if you are in the mood for something light and fun!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

I just purchased Confessions recently at Costco. Haven't started mine, either, but now I'm looking forward to cracking it open.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
Insane Embellisher

I love Sophie Kinsella! Her books are definitely some of the best of British chick lit.

And to answer your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmstamper
. . . And, where do Shopaholic Abroad and the Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic fit in? Thanks for your help!
Since these were originally published in England, sometimes the titles vary a little. "Scret Dreamworld" is the original title of "onfessions of a Shopaholic," and "Shopaholic Abroad," is the original title of "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan." HTH.

And have you read two of her stand-alone books, "Can You Keep a Secret," and "Undomestic Goddess?" They're hilarious!

Another really funny British series is by Sue Townsend, her Adrian Mole series. The first one "The Diary of Adrian Mole, Age 13 3/4," was written in the80s and was a huge sensation. They're still funny and Adrian Mole grew up as well with several sequels.

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -- Louisa May Alcott
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=15375
Old 04-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
Polly Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampingkaren
I love Sophie Kinsella! Her books are definitely some of the best of British chick lit.

And to answer your question:

Since these were originally published in England, sometimes the titles vary a little. "Scret Dreamworld" is the original title of "onfessions of a Shopaholic," and "Shopaholic Abroad," is the original title of "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan." HTH.

And have you read two of her stand-alone books, "Can You Keep a Secret," and "Undomestic Goddess?" They're hilarious!

Another really funny British series is by Sue Townsend, her Adrian Mole series. The first one "The Diary of Adrian Mole, Age 13 3/4," was written in the80s and was a huge sensation. They're still funny and Adrian Mole grew up as well with several sequels.
Thanks so much for the info! I was worried that I needed some other books.

I loved Can You Keep A Secret and Undomestic Goddess! I read both of those while I was on vacation. I must confess that I even teared up in Undomestic Goddess and Shopaholic Takes Manhattan. She just makes it so easy to relate to her characters!

I must get these Adrian Mole books! I'm totally hooked on British lit! I also love Jane Green! Have you read her books?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

I read them all! I am anxiously awaiting her next book (which she is working on according to her newsletter). Love, love, love them!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:01 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmstamper
Hello All!

Is this the correct order:

1. Confessions of a Shopaholic
2. Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
3. Shopaholic Ties the Knot
4. Shopaholic and Sister
Yup, that's the right order! I've read them all and love them!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #9
Crimping Master

Default I love them all, too!

I usually don't have much patience with characters (in books or in real life, LOL!) whose problems can be solved with just a little honesty, you know? But there is something totally endearing about Becky. Yes, her problems are of her own making but I think for me the reason that I can tolerate that is because I relate to her problem of overspending. Not that I take it to that extreme, of course!

But I think this series' appeal is mainly to those of us who are shopaholics at heart. I have recommended it to many of my friends and acquaintances and it seems to me that the ones who don't like it are the ones who can't imagine impulse buying, buying things you don't really need, charging things on credit, etc., etc., etc. In other words, I think they just can't relate to Becky on of the levels that I can!

Old 04-25-2006, 04:29 PM   #10
Mad Swapper

I thought Confessions . . . was lots of fun. It was actually better written than I expected, though I did get pretty frustrated with the main character around the middle of the book. If you liked this one, you may want to try Bridget Jones's Diary, which is even better, in my opinion. In fact, I loved Bridget Jones so much that I couldn't bring myself to read the sequel and be oh-so-disappointed.

View My Gallery
Old 04-26-2006, 06:57 AM   #11
Polly Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelini
I thought Confessions . . . was lots of fun. It was actually better written than I expected, though I did get pretty frustrated with the main character around the middle of the book. If you liked this one, you may want to try Bridget Jones's Diary, which is even better, in my opinion. In fact, I loved Bridget Jones so much that I couldn't bring myself to read the sequel and be oh-so-disappointed.
Bridget Jones's Diary was the first British lit book that I fell in love with. It was a while ago that I read it, but I think that I liked the sequel better than the first book. I haven't seen the movie of the sequel for the same reason though.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #12
Insane Embellisher

I hated, hated, hated the sequel to Bridget Jones. I did read her first book, "Cause Celeb," which is about celebrities trying to get attention by volunteering for causes like famine in Africa. It was pretty good, a little more serious than Bridget.

I also read her latest book, "Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination," which I also hated -- don't bother. I've heard Helen Fielding, the author, has gone back to writing about Bridget Jones in a British newspaper. I don't know if it's a weekly column or a serial, though.

There's plenty of great British chick lit out there, though -- another favorite is Marion Keyes, though, technically, she's Irish. And some of her best stuff is actually nonfiction. She has two collections of articles and essays, "Under the Duvet" and "Cracks in my Foundation," which are just hilarious! She writes about family vacations and shopping and home improvement, just every day stuff but she finds the hilarity in every day life. HIGHLY recommended if you need light reading.

Maybe we should make a new thread about British chick lit!

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -- Louisa May Alcott
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=15375
Old 04-26-2006, 08:00 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampingkaren
There's plenty of great British chick lit out there, though -- another favorite is Marion Keyes, though, technically, she's Irish. And some of her best stuff is actually nonfiction. She has two collections of articles and essays, "Under the Duvet" and "Cracks in my Foundation," which are just hilarious! She writes about family vacations and shopping and home improvement, just every day stuff but she finds the hilarity in every day life. HIGHLY recommended if you need light reading.

Maybe we should make a new thread about British chick lit!
Jane Green is another British author that I LOVE. She lives in the US now since she married an American, but she's from the UK and most, if not all of her books are set there. I've read Jemima J, Bookends, and Mr. Maybe and her others are on my list!
Old 04-27-2006, 04:10 AM   #14
Rubber Obsessor

Loved all the Shopaholic books and can't wait for more. Loved them all!!!!
Pam
Old 04-27-2006, 04:13 AM   #15
Rubber Obsessor

Did you read the Carly Phillips The Bachelor, The Heartbreaker and there is another but can't remember the title they were great too!
Also if you loved the Shopaholic books you would probably like the Janet Evanich (sp) One, Two - eleven I think - the caracter in those is like that in Shopaholic. Everystupid thing happens to her too! Loved them all alittle repetitious but fun!
Pam
Old 04-27-2006, 04:25 AM   #16
Polly Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjc820
Jane Green is another British author that I LOVE. She lives in the US now since she married an American, but she's from the UK and most, if not all of her books are set there. I've read Jemima J, Bookends, and Mr. Maybe and her others are on my list!
I love her too! I think that I've read all of her books!
Old 04-27-2006, 04:27 AM   #17
Polly Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestamping
Did you read the Carly Phillips The Bachelor, The Heartbreaker and there is another but can't remember the title they were great too!
Also if you loved the Shopaholic books you would probably like the Janet Evanich (sp) One, Two - eleven I think - the caracter in those is like that in Shopaholic. Everystupid thing happens to her too! Loved them all alittle repetitious but fun!
Pam
I haven't read those. I do have a Janet Evanivich book, and I haven't read it yet. I'll have to read it because of your recommendation.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:06 PM   #18
Matboard Maniac

I love the confessions books!! I have read them all!! I lent out the first three to a woman and never got them back I will purchsae them again. They are the kind of books that you like to have around, in case you want something easy to read. Enjoy!!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:30 PM   #19
Pearl-ExPert

I love Sophie Kinsella & Marion Keyes. Another one to try is Jenny Colgan (hope she's available this side of the pond, since I bought all her books when I was back in Ireland) I'm going to keep an eye out for any others you have to suggest...

Les
Old 05-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #20
Rubber Obsessor

I've read them all! They were such funny books! How could that many things go wrong with someone! HAHA! They are so quick to read and witty, i wish I could find more books like them. I have read a few of the Janet Evanovich books too, but I think that somehow they all seem rather alike to me, all of the books in one series that is.

Mother of Calder (12/18/05), wife to Mac (06/01/02)