Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #41
Mad Swapper

Add me to this list. Very very annoying. Especially if the song never, ever changes. Usually I can't figure out where it's coming from, so I end up muting my computer until I figure it out. Then I lose my place on my playlist in iTunes then I get cranky.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #42
Gallery Gazer

Wow..and I LOVE to hear music on a blog. And I am with Shannan..Mercy's blog is amazing and the music just makes it even better.

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Old 11-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #43
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't like blog music either. It startles the heck out of me when it starts playing. I like to surf blogs when my baby is down for a nap and her bed is right on the other side of the wall from my computer. The last thing I want is some blaring music coming on and waking her up.

Another blog pet peeve for me is text that is too small to read. I have 20/20 vision so if it's difficult for me to read, I can only imagine how hard it is for people with vision problems to read.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #44
Hardware Hotshot

Whowziers... didn't really notice how many of you dislike the music on blogs... I added music to my blog a couple of months ago and a few visitors say they have liked... I even had a customer say she leaves it playing on her computer...

But I have to agree with Julie on I don't think I will remove it for now because it is a part of my personality... I love music and stamp to it alot of times... There are times when I turn my sound off while I go blurfing but I am one of the minority here and like to see music on someones craft blog.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #45
Proud Fan Club Member

I am also one who is annoyed by music on websites. If the creator of the site wants to share their music, they should give the viewer an option to play it. Or if you want to share what music you listen to while you are stamping show a list on your site. Just don't play music automatically. If someone wants to listen create a link and let the viewer click play if they want to hear it.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #46
Proud Fan Club Member

Something else to keep in mind. Streaming music over the internet also takes up bandwidth. If people are viewing your blog from a computer at work, they are most likely slowing down the network traffic for the company they work for. Most people have no idea the effect some options on the web have on the rest of the world around them. That is why we completely prohibit it where I work.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #47
Pearl-ExPert

I love blog music! I do not have music on my crafting blog but do on my personal blog. For those of you who watch tv while you surf just turn the volume off while you are surfing. As for the why I have it on my personal blog I use project playlist which is free. I put songs on there that I like but may not want to spend the 99cents to download them. Plus I change mine up often. I also have some artists like the Beatles on there and you cannot download them from itunes so this is a way for me to get the music, and did I mention it was free!
Project 365 blog
Old 11-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #48
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkluttrellView Post
I love blog music! I do not have music on my crafting blog but do on my personal blog. For those of you who watch tv while you surf just turn the volume off while you are surfing. As for the why I have it on my personal blog I use project playlist which is free. I put songs on there that I like but may not want to spend the 99cents to download them. Plus I change mine up often. I also have some artists like the Beatles on there and you cannot download them from itunes so this is a way for me to get the music, and did I mention it was free!
It's totally fair enough that you enjoy blog music and want it on your blog, and I can understand your reasons.

One thing I will say is - I tend to watch TV shows in a window on my laptop, while surfing. So, when I open a blog with music on, it can be quite jarring (volume differences always seem to mean that the music comes blaring out), and then I have to figure out where on the page I can turn it off (on some blogs this is quite taxing).

For people that do enjoy having music on their blogs, it may be worth investigating whether you can have a widget with the option that music only starts when requested, not on the page loading.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #49
Kookie Creator

Send a message via Skype™ to spazzgirl

I say, it's your blog do whatcha want.
Personally, I don't like the music, it's a dead giveaway that I am up to no good at work. lol
Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 AM   #50
Hardware Hotshot

I so agree!

No music, I leave and will not go back to blogs with music. They slow everything down and are annoying!

Sorry, no insult intended, just the facts.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #51
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

At one time I had music on my blog. I found that is does slow down your blog. And I also got tired of hearing the same song play over an over again.

So I took it off. I really like viewing blogs that have no music, but I do have the option of turning my sound down or off while I am visiting their blog.

So if other's like having music on their blogs that is totally fine.

The only other place you will find music on something I have is my picturetrail site.

So if you don't like music don't go there.

that site can be found on my blog site.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #52
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh, I am sooo glad I saw this thread! I have music on my blog, and, like others, have had positive feedback about it. I guess the people who don't like it are just too nice to say anything. I left my playlist on there (because I LOVE to listen to it!); but I selected "no" for automatic play. That way it doesn't come on unless YOU click it on.

Thanks for the feedback on this!

Blessings~

Old 12-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #53
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am so far out in the boonies that my only available (affordable) internet option is dial-up. Music and dial-up don't usually coexist peacefully! I can think of a couple of blogs that I really love the art work on, but will check only when I am at the public library (high Speed/no sound). Otherwise, the music slows down my already pathetic connection and often crashes my browser. It really has nothing to do with my taste in music--it's purely a technical thing.

While I understand that a blog is a personal expression, having the option to play or not would be wonderful and appreciated!
My SCS Gallery
Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #54
Die Cut Diva

I prefer the no music option because I do frequently pop in at work and it's a dead give a way that I'm not working. At home, I've got 3 kids, 2 dogs, dh, and whatever is going on so more noise is defintely not welcome.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Old 12-05-2007, 03:42 AM   #55
Mad Swapper

I guess I really did not know how people felt about music on blogs. I need to find a way to turn mine off. I enjoy it, sometimes. If anyone can tell me how to change the option to play when you want to I would appreciate it.

Hugs,
Joani
Old 12-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #56
Pearl-ExPert

Music on blogs? Hate it, hate it, hate it! If you really want to chase people away, PUT MUSIC ON YOUR BLOG! makes me insane, especially when it's lame midi file tunes instead of real music.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:49 AM   #57
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampininthesunView Post
Oh, I had no idea people did not like music on blogs. I usually enjoy it! If I really do not like the music I will turn my speakers off.

I just started a blog and I have music on mine. I love my music! I have it on there because I like it and I thought readers would too.

But, I don't want anyone to be put off! Hmm..
I'm with you - I had NO IDEA about this large majority opinion until I stumbled across this thread! I too have music on mine which I love, and I like to see what music other people enjoy, but after reading this I went and changed the code on my player to be sure it doesn't start automatically, because I would HATE for people to not visit my blog just because it has music on it.

Honestly, when I put music on there I've had people say how much they liked it and that some people just go to my blog and leave it on to listen, but it looks like the overwhelming majority really HATE it?

Wow, I'm bummed.....

Oh well, problem solved... so if you went to my blog before and left cuz of the music *sniff*, you can surf it safely again and just press play if you care to listen. No need to worry about blasting speakers anymore. lol

Visit my Blog!
See my SCS gallery

Last edited by GinaP; 12-05-2007 at 04:03 AM..
Old 12-06-2007, 02:04 AM   #58
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't have music on my blog, but I know that I find it annoying when something starts blarring when I open a blog. Don't get me wrong, I love music...all kinds, but if you have a player on your blog, please give us the option of listening or not. I didn't even realize that you could set them to "no automatic play", but I would encourage those who have that option to use it. Sometimes when I see a player on a blog, I'll check out their play list and would be more inclined to listen if it wasn't force on me.

But, with that being said...these are YOUR blogs...and you may have them anyway that makes you happy. Just know that some people may not come back if they are really turned off by the music.

Just my 2 cents.

My Gallery
Old 12-06-2007, 02:11 AM   #59
Pearl-ExPert

I do have Christmas music on my blog and after Christmas, it will be removed. Its putting me in the Christmas spirit .
Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 AM   #60
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimee30View Post
But I have to agree with Julie on I don't think I will remove it for now because it is a part of my personality... I love music and stamp to it alot of times... There are times when I turn my sound off while I go blurfing but I am one of the minority here and like to see music on someones craft blog.
Me too.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:50 AM   #61
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
It annoys me when there's music on a blog. That's usually the end of my reading it. The only things that drive me crazier are animated cursors and light text on a dark background.
YEAH! This goes for me, too! Very annoying!

My Blog "Stempel, Papier & Mehr!"
Old 12-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #62
Crimping Master

Okay, not having read all the replies to this, but from my own point of view, I have music on my blog, as I started the blog FOR ME, I have my favourite music selection on it, i often open up my blog so I have music, I don't own all the CDs for all my selections, so its a cheaper alternative, lol

Now there is a button on my selection to turn it off, or when I am crafting at night I have my speakers down, again its a very easy thing to do, you can either just turn your speakers down or use the function on my computer to do it, I really don't see the problem with this personally. Honestly it is just my opinion. I love visiting blogs with different things on, ie music, I get to experience music and artists I have never heard of, ie one of these was a group called Koop!!!

I have had one person visit my blog have a go at me because it woke her sick child up, so I put the question out there about my music, and I got a really good response to it, where some girls often come back to listen, which was very nice.

Again my own opinion, as its my blog, but I can understand it freaks people out, and I often tell people if they are going to visit, then I have music.

If you have a tendency to put your speakers up full blast, then obviously that will freak you and your family out, but my speakers are always turned down fairly low anyhow, even when the kids are using the computer.

This is the only thing I have on my blog, I don't have animated cursers or partial feeds, I have what you see, so if you like it then come back if you don't then thats a shame, but thanks for dropping in.

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Old 12-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #63
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn in St. LouisView Post
I but if you have a player on your blog, please give us the option of listening or not.
I think this is a great suggestion! I just edited mine so that the viewer has the option of listening or not.

I don't go out of my way to annoy or offend anyone so I'm willing to "meet in the middle" on this. I'd much rather adapt so that you'll come to my blog.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:27 AM   #64
Crimping Master

Lol, so having just perused a few more answers, I am going to have a look at turning off the automatic feature, you never know more poeple might visit, lol - but i still like my music!!!

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 AM   #65
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannieGrvsView Post
I don't like blog music either. It startles the heck out of me when it starts playing. I like to surf blogs when my baby is down for a nap and her bed is right on the other side of the wall from my computer. The last thing I want is some blaring music coming on and waking her up.

Another blog pet peeve for me is text that is too small to read. I have 20/20 vision so if it's difficult for me to read, I can only imagine how hard it is for people with vision problems to read.
You can size the type on your screen up or down by holding down the control key and scrolling the mouse if you have a scrolling wheel on top. Really helps for those sites or blogs with tiny type!

Of course that's a PC...I can't remember how to do it on a Mac anymore.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 12-06-2007, 04:22 AM   #66
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by SillybirdView Post
Okay, not having read all the replies to this, but from my own point of view, I have music on my blog, as I started the blog FOR ME, I have my favourite music selection on it, i often open up my blog so I have music, I don't own all the CDs for all my selections, so its a cheaper alternative, lol

Now there is a button on my selection to turn it off, or when I am crafting at night I have my speakers down, again its a very easy thing to do, you can either just turn your speakers down or use the function on my computer to do it, I really don't see the problem with this personally. Honestly it is just my opinion. I love visiting blogs with different things on, ie music, I get to experience music and artists I have never heard of, ie one of these was a group called Koop!!!

I have had one person visit my blog have a go at me because it woke her sick child up, so I put the question out there about my music, and I got a really good response to it, where some girls often come back to listen, which was very nice.

Again my own opinion, as its my blog, but I can understand it freaks people out, and I often tell people if they are going to visit, then I have music.

If you have a tendency to put your speakers up full blast, then obviously that will freak you and your family out, but my speakers are always turned down fairly low anyhow, even when the kids are using the computer.

This is the only thing I have on my blog, I don't have animated cursers or partial feeds, I have what you see, so if you like it then come back if you don't then thats a shame, but thanks for dropping in.
My DH listens to music at a very loud volume on the computer and then doesn't turn it down, so while I might like a nice low speaker, I often get blasted out of my seat by blog music. I do know how to turn it off, but I'd far rather visit someones blog and have the option of turning music ON than visiting their blog and scrambling to find out how to turn it OFF.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 12-06-2007, 04:58 AM   #67
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaxView Post
I have jumped a time or two when music blares unexpectedly when visiting blogs! I don't care for it - many times the music isn't really what I would listen to anyway. I usually have a CD or radio on because that is what I want to hear.
This is me too. Except I wouldn't have stated it so nicely.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 AM   #68
Die Cut Diva

I also prefer not to have the music start automatically on a blog. My house is usually very quiet, or I might have the radio playing at a fairly low volume with my own music selection. Having music suddenly come on usually makes me jump because I often watch news video clips which sometimes requires the speaker volume to be turned up higher than normal, so the blog music can be startling.

But, again, bottom line, it is the blogger's decision and I respect that. If I really like your blog, the music won't keep me away. I just might not visit as often.

“Any time we can’t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.” ~Tony Blair
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #69
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SillybirdView Post
Lol, so having just perused a few more answers, I am going to have a look at turning off the automatic feature, you never know more poeple might visit, lol - but i still like my music!!!
I love your music too! The song that popped on this morning is stuck in my head! I love your blog!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #70
Crimping Master

Quote:

I confess, I am a blogger with music on my craft blog. One time I took it off and someone emailed me to ask where it went too.

Anyway, often music on blogs annoys me too believe it or not, but that wouldn't make me NOT go to a blog I liked. I just choose to turn their music player off, or turn down my speakers. It's easily done with a click of the mouse on their music player..that same click that you would make to leave the site for another because of the annoying music.

So anyway, to answer the question of why I put it on there? Cause I like it. For me, that music on my blog is the same music I stamp too....why not share it? But just for you (meaning those surfers who don't like it, not just the OP) and just for this week, I will have a music free crafting blog. I'm sure I've caused people to jump when they've gone to my blog lol
Yep!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #71
Die Cut Diva

When I'm on the computer, I have the sound turned off. But then I walk away and one of my kids comes to play on the computer, switching over to their username. They turn the sound up to play a game. Any sound on a blog I might have open (and was totally unaware of since I had the sound off) comes blaring through, competing with what the kids are doing, and causing them to whine at me to come and make it stop. (They don't have my password to log in and stop it.) Very inconvenient. Please, if you have music on your blog, consider having an option to turn it off. Thanks!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #72
Stazon Splitcoast

Can someone link this Mercy person's blog? I don't have them in my feeds *just checked* and clearly I need them.

Thanks.

I'm not a fan of blog music, but I figure everyone can do whatever they want. I read almost everything in feeds anyhow. Cept peeps who only allow partial feeds.

If you only allow partial feeds AND you have auto start blog music that would probably bug me. But I'd know it was my problem and not yours.

Last edited by Erin K; 03-07-2008 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #73
Watercolor Wizard

I had it on at christmas time, but that was it. If I don't like the music from a blog I just turn off my speakers (especially at work) -

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you’ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 03-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #74
Die Cut Diva

I don't care for blog music either because most of the time it is music I wouldn't normally listen to. I do however use music on my video tutorials I make for my blog because the alternative is everyone hearing my kids running around screaming like a bunch of maniacs in the background and hearing me with my hick accent! Maybe on my next video I'll turn down the music and let everyone hear the actual background noise at my house!! I think most of the people that posted here would GLADLY listen to blog music instead!!!

Were evolution true, Mothers would have more than 2 hands!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #75
Stazon Splitcoast

I so dislike any noise emanating from my computer that I don't even own any speakers. I have earbuds plugged into the speaker jack, so if I want to listen to something (like a video), I have to physically get one earbud and hold it near one ear. So...if there is any music on anyone's blog, it doesn't bug me, 'cause I don't hear it.

Though I admit, if the video I want to watch has only music (and no helpful talking), then I put the earbud back and just watch.

Melanie, I'd rather hear the background noise at your house, 'cause I'm rather picky about music, but I'm probably in the minority.

My brother and I lived together for several years, and fortunately during that time, I learned to block out all music that I didn't want to listen to (I didn't like his music). I can block out everything except the bass, if it is so strong that it "waves" through me. This skill has helped me co-exist peacefully with my DH (don't like his music either).
Old 03-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #76
Hardware Hotshot

Exclamation Solution

If you are using firefox, there is a free ad-on called flashblock. Every music player I've seen (and those slide shows and videos) run on flash, so this blocks them and puts a play button over the player. If you want to watch/listen it you click the button, if not you don't. I've been using it for a long time now, and I LOVE it.

Also, if there is a website that you always want to allow flash, like the SU catalog or youtube or something, you can right click over the flash button and tell it always allow this site.

Here is the link to download the ad-on
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433
Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #77
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I've been wondering that for ages! I surf at work during breaks or lunch mostly, so if music starts blaring that's bad news.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #78
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

okay, wading in here ... I really really dislike the music on blogs. I know I can turn it off, but it's a pain in the butt to scroll down to find the widget which some bury at the bottom. I do keep my volume low, but it still startles me to all of a sudden hear music that I am so not interested in listening to. I will leave the blog.

on another note (and please don't take me the wrong way) ... I see the words "I created my blog for me" typed over and over again. Why have it online if it's just for you? You could have your artwork on your wall if thats the reason for having a blog. Online is there for all to see not to mention the links in your siggy's etc ... JMO
Old 03-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #79
Kookie Creator

Of course, it's a personal blog and you can do what you like, which is why I try to keep my speakers turned off. It causes the page to take longer to load sometimes as well and that is very aggravating. Those widget things annoy me, too - blinkies, slide shows, etc.....I usually won't go back to those blogs. I love it when I can get the full feed in the Google Reader, too. If I want to see more I can go check it out but I don't always have time to do that. Just my two cents - I'm still addicted to blurfing and have plenty that I can visit without music, etc.

Just Stamp It!Addicted to Pens and Paper
Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #80
Insane Embellisher

I agree with prchvs - my blog is to inspire OTHER people, not myself. That's why I post things online. I have 3 blogs and only one has music. I have gotten nothing but positive feedback regarding my playlist, and like someone else mentioned - I have people comment that they leave it open for background music. BUT, I know you can't please everyone. I DID just set it where you have to click "play" to start it. I use projectplaylist in my blog sidebar.

Another thought is: no matter how many people post in this thread that they don't like blog music, it's still the minority considering how many thousands of people blog surf everyday. So if you're thinking about adding a playlist - go for it! Just pick "no" for autostart when creating your html code to copy/paste if the music haters really concern you.

I really am neutral on the subject. I see both sides (one a little more than the other though). I have never left a blog just because of the music. I LOVE music! And if it wasn't my style, my speaker has an on/off button.