Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Blogs - so who cares?!

I know blogs have been around for years but I know basically nothing about them.

I've been seeing threads about joining design teams, but 98% of them require you have your own blog. So I've been thinking about it a bit.

Why should I have a blog?

I'm an SU demo, but have hardly any customers in a small town overloaded with demos, and in an economy that doesn't prioritize spending time/money on scrapbooking.
I don't come up with many unique ideas. I like participating in challenges.
I wouldn't know how to create my own tutorials, or even know what to have a tutorial about.

Who actually visits your blog?

I just want to have a place to share my cards. I love looking here on SCS through people's cards and commenting, but I've never tried looking at people's blogs. I'd rather just find it all in one place - HERE!

Help - convince me - or convince me not to!

How would I start a blog? Is it free?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I started my blog about a year ago through blogspot which is free. It took me a while to get some regular followers, but I also participate in a blog group and a few blog comment threads. I've made some wonderful cyber friends through my blog.

The nice thing about a blog is it can be about whatever you want - stamping, crafting, life, cooking, family, or a little of all of it.

I didn't think I had anything new to offer to my readers, but have learned that things I assume everyone knows some folks don't know about and it's nice to share info.

A blog is yours and you can post whatever you want it, whenever you want, as often or seldom as you want.

They are a little time consuming but no more so than posting here on SCS.

Since I started my blog I have posted less pics here and more on my blog, but this is my personal preference as I feel my cards get lost here unless I participate in the challenges.

Just remember, there is nothing that says you have to have a blog. If you are looking to be on a DT, then they do like you to have a blog, but you can always start on if you choose when the time arrives.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I also use blogspot and really like it. Most of my blog visitors come from here, either through my signature or my posts in other threads; sometimes I also add a blog link to my gallery posts. I'm also in a blog group. It took a while to build up followers for me. I get about 50-70 hits a day, which I think is amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my blog. I'm not a demo. I don't blog daily. I have my blog because I like the ability to share and the fun of getting comments and features. Around here when I make something I get a very bored and dry: "oh yea honey that's grreat". When I post it on my blog I get a happy "Oh cool, thanks for sharing!". It's fun for me. LOL That's why i do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Why should I have a blog?

Everybody has their own reasons for blogging. Like a PP said, you can blog about anything, it's limitless. I blog because I live several states away from all my family and friends and it was an easy way for me to share my cards and scrapbooking. We often flew home to visit and I couldn't easily pack up my scrapbooks each time and bring them along so I started photographing and posting my pics on my blog.

I've gotten a little lazy with my blog over the summer but plan to get back into it and maybe give better explanations of my creations, but for now, sometimes it'a all I can do to get a picture and get it uploaded onto the blog :oops:

One other benefit of my blog is that I use it to browse other blogs I like to visit regularly. I don't have to have anything bookmarked and can just access the blogs/sites through links on my blog.

I'm pretty sure it's just my friends and family that visit my blog. Every once in a while I'll get a new visitor that comments. I don't track it, not sure it you can? But I am always thrilled when somebody that I don't recognize comments...it makes my day! :mrgreen:

(I also use blogger...LOVE IT! It's very easy to use and I've never had any problems with it.)

My blog...a work in progress...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I just started my blog (on Blogspot) several months ago not really knowing anything about them.

Not that I know a heck of a lot, but I've got 13 followers now!!!
I love blogging!! I feel like I have so many more friends, and we all have something in common!! Be it stamping, kids, work, etc.

Try it, you'll like it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gqzmommyView Post

I don't track it, not sure it you can? But I am always thrilled when somebody that I don't recognize comments...it makes my day! :mrgreen:
Actually, you can track it. I use statcounter (free at www.statcounter.com), and they have different ways to see who has visited your blog. I like to see the "Recent Came From," which shows how they got to your site. That's how I know that most of my visitors come from SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I started my craft blog about a month or so ago. I got the blog bug! I am hooked. Now not only do I have my craft blog, but now I have a book blog and I help run 2 other blogs with friends! It gets so addicting and you get to meet so many new people that share your same passions! Blogger is free (thats who I use) and its fairly simple to set up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my thoughts on this (the "you" addressed in this post is a general "you" and not specifically the op ;) )...

Why should I have a blog? If you are a demo, it's to keep your customers informed and to drive new customers to your business.

Who actually visits your blog? Although I haven't updated my blog in ages (too busy for my business right now, but hopefully soon to change!), I have hit over 100k visitors. I still get a steady trickle of about 30 hits a day. I've gotten visitors from all over the world, but most of my traffic comes from right here at SCS.

I do have to say that because of my blog I've gotten some pretty nice orders and customers. Most recently (three days ago), someone found my blog and placed an over $300 order. This of course if not the norm, but totally made my blog worth it! lol I've gotten a couple of recruits through my blog also.
Reply With Quote Likes