Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blogger vs Wordpress

What's the difference?
Which is better?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

To be honest, having tried both, there really isn't a lot to choose from between them. Blogger can be a bit clunky, and sometimes not very user friendly .
Blogger is more widely used, I believe.
What I found a better solution( I use Blogger now, btw), was using Windows Livewriter to actually compose my posts. Its a free from Microsoft programme. Typically, with Blogger, you inset an image to your post, have a choice of small, med, or large image, and Centre, left or right placing. It seems to need a certain amount of space to put the image, and even when there is definitely enough room, it will place it below the last picture, so you end up with a lot of 'white space'. With Livewriter, you can insert an image, then you can move it around, and have the 'free transform' ability with the picture sizing, so you can make it exactly what you want, rather than a set default size. You also have quite a lot of other user friendly options, when you are done, you just upload the draft to your blog via a button click, then publish.
Livewriter here. its worth having a look at it when you start blogging.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2014, 03:49 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering about this too. I have a very little used Wordpress blog related to food storage, and I used to have a personal (closed) blog on Livejournal. Oh, and I started a crafting blog on Blogspot, which I only posted to once, lol. Even though I've technically used them both, I still haven't really figured out which one works better. I've noticed a lot of stampers use Blogspot though.

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I've only worked with WordPress and it's been a long hard road of learning how to get around and it's been two years now. I rely heavily on the support forum and they have always come through with an answer for me.

I wouldn't think of changing now as I've got sort of a system going.

Good luck, whatever you decide!
Who provided the inspiration for these cards?Katy Did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

I�m planning to start a blog too and considering using WordPress, but there�s something I don�t really understand yet. It seems to me that WordPress offers all you need to start a website, including hosting. At the same time I come across companies like this that offer hosting for WordPress blogs. What is the difference between using WordPress itself as a host or choosing an external host? (I�m sorry, I�m really a beginner at this)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

No need to apologize because I don't know the difference either. When I first started, I was told to use Hostgator to host my WordPress blog. I got the "hatchling" plan for hosting and then I moved my domain name to them. I can't make any comparison between them and other hosts, but I do know Hostgator was extremely helpful to me when I had many, many questions. Perhaps you should post the question at the WordPress forum as well...I have found them helpful, too. Good luck!
Who provided the inspiration for these cards?Katy Did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks CalicoCat! It might indeed be a good idea to post te question on the WordPress forum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2015, 04:12 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

There are two kind of options Wordpress offers:

wordpress.com - easy-peasy to set up, you can host via WP, all is taken care of for you (updates, backup, security and so on), BUT you can't upload plug-ins and you have to use one of the themes wordpress.com offers

wordpress.org - you need someone to host your blog, you have far more options programming your blog, but you need to do your own maintenance and it costs more time and knowledge to manage your blog

I am perfectly fine with using wordpress.com. It is perfect for me as I am not that technic savy.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Maple Leaf

I just started using WordPress. I used blogger for a bit but it wasn't very user friendly for myself. I'm slowly learning the basics to working my blog through WordPress.
Does anyone know how I can add an image where my title is? It always ends up a the top of my title on my blog but I want it on the sides? Does WordPress do background images
Old 02-28-2016, 05:36 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Both Blogger and WordPress are good choices as website building platforms. But...

Neither Blogger nor Wordpress "as is" will build an online business which you get if you know how to do SEO and build traffic. They are both missing a do-able start-to-finish BUSINESS process.

Surely, you can slog through the mountains of business building advice and tools that are out there. But for most Blogger and WordPress users it all ends up being too much.

So, despite the dazzling display of Blogger and Wordpress features (even SEO gadgets), the reality for most (non-tech) people who want to create a web business with Blogger or Wordpress is that they need to adhere to an easy-to-follow, all-in-one, proven, ethical webbusiness-building system (not a get rich quick scheme), tailored to say the WordPress platform, to get (1) a significant amount of traffic and get (2) targeted traffic (example of such a system: WealthPrinciples dot net).

Otherwise... you'll end up having (and building) only a Blogger/WordPress webSITE (or BLOG) but not a webBUSINESS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I have a blog through Wordpress.org. I had blogged through blogger for over 8 years. I moved to Wordpress about a year ago. I LOVE it! You have more control of your blog. I would never go back to blogger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Wordpress.com and I like the user interface or it quite a bit. There are quite a few nice features included in the free package, which was perfect for about the first 8 months when I was still trying to figure out stuff, like if I liked having a blog and what kinds of graphics I wanted.

The free package has lots of great themes to get you started with a great looking website out of the box. I got started with some basics in one day and by the end of the week, working on it in just the evenings, was pretty happy with how it looked.

My only experience with Blogger is from visiting and commenting of other people's blogs, but it seems clunky. You have to click a lot more times just to leave a comment (I suppose to prove you aren't a robot) and lots of challenges have requirements that you must set your comment security a certain way or they won't even bother leaving you a comment. I am somewhat less inclined to leave a comment on blogs that make you jump through all these extra hoops.

Once you are more established, the free version of Wordpress isn't quite everything I want it to be. I want to add a couple of widgets/plugins, like a social media sharing sidebar and a clickable list of SU! products I used on a card that go straight to the store where you can order them... and I can't add those.

I'm pretty happy with how Wordpress works in general, so I'm going to be migrating everything over to Wordpress.org.

(After having already started a blog) I found a really great resource for how to start a blog that does a good comparison between the different platforms and goes through all the steps for how to start, including best practices for hosting and domain names and such: How to Start a Blog: The Definitive Guide for 2016 | Building a Framework

Suki, try these steps:
First, hover over "My Sites" to bring up the menu, then...
Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Natalie Lapakko

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2018, 02:10 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Red face

I have worked with lots of platforms for blogging and they all have their faults and their advantages.
Wordpress is probably the most user friendly and widely used site so it is easy to use and to get advice on. It also tends to be well priced if you take paid options for your site and need additional plug ins.
I am happy to offer support to anyone that might need it, i am not an expert and prefer drupal (expensive) but i can normally get my way around a wordpress site.

Good luck websites are more work than people think :-P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I have been using blogger, but I think now wordpress is better
Reply With Quote Likes