Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How to get more viewers

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on how to get more viewers to my blog. A friend of mine did the 31 days to a better blog challenge. Has anyone tried that and had success? I put a lot of work into my blog but my number of followers has kind of stagnated lately so any advice would be listened to. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I get the most from my gallery here at SCS. The best way is to post to your blog first then include a link to that blog post when you upload to the gallery here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I added 'RSS Graffiti' to my Facebook Profile which automatically posts new blog entries to my FB Profile.

There are also apps for Twitter (I use twitterfeed) which do the same. This way I get a lot more visitors on my blog.

(I'm sure there is a hundred other applications you can choose of.)

What you could also try is if you visit other blogs, leave comments! When you leave a comment your name will link back to your blog and I'm quite sure some people will click on that link. )But please don't leave senseless comments just to increase the number of backlinks)

Hope that was a bit of a help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

It was, looks like I need to do more research, never even heard of RSS Graffiti.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 378 Likes on 178 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

RSS graffiti is just an application inside Facebook.

You can see what the posts look like on mine if you'd like. Just below a post you'll see an icon for RSS graffiti. If you click it it will take you to where you can install it on your Facebook page. Make sure you're logged into Facebook before you click.

Http://www.facebook.com/understandblue

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks, I'm having a little trouble with this but have run out of time. I'm going to try and get it going later this week. Thanks for your help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueForums at Splitcoaststampers
RSS graffiti is just an application inside Facebook.

You can see what the posts look like on mine if you'd like. Just below a post you'll see an icon for RSS graffiti. If you click it it will take you to where you can install it on your Facebook page. Make sure you're logged into Facebook before you click.

Http://www.facebook.com/understandblue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Just ask if you need any help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Barbra!
My name is Heather and I work on a lot of people's blogs. This is what I would suggest to help You should add an email subscriptions area to your blog to allow people to subscribe to your blog. Yes, you have the Blogger default which uses a Reader to subscribe, but many people don't know what that is or how to use it. With Email Subscriptions, you may even see more people are following you than you think! You can go to http://feedburner.google.com (free and owned by google) and then "burn your feed" as it says, and then get all the way to Publicize, Email Subscription, Activate it, and copy and paste into an HTML Gadget on your blog. **

Next, you may want to convert your blog to a 3 column format to make room and better balance your columns (and make a larger middle, main posting area). Then you can move your "why i love close to my heart" to a "page" and other similar things to a "page" and link to them as to remove "clutter" from your sidebar. You can also make a page to list all your wonderful team members.

Anyway, getting back to publicizing, you may also want to use Twitter and Facebook to automatically post your blogs posts to your Twitter and FAcebook (page) accounts, as well as simply Tweeting about an upcoming event or project you just completed.

Next, be sure to join groups like Split Coast Stampers and post/comment often and be sure to have your blog's address in your signature.

Posting often is a key as well.

You may also want to join technorati (free) which is like a search engine for blogs.

Anyway, hope this helps.
Best wishes and much succes!
Heather

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 08-18-2010 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Removed promotional language per TOU. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeForums at Splitcoaststampers
If you do this be sure to also include the information about the card in the gallery description. A lot of people really do not like it when you only direct to a blog for information.

Another thing to do is to visit and comment on other people's blogs. When I get a comment on my blog, if it's from someone I don't recognize I will usually visit their blog.
thank you for saying this about posting info on the gallery and not just go to my blog. this is soooo true.

one more thing you can add your blog to the post in the gallery but please make it a direct link to the card you are talking about. if a year from now I want to see more of that card on your blog i would have to search for it if you didn't have the direct link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampmouseForums at Splitcoaststampers
thank you for saying this about posting info on the gallery and not just go to my blog. this is soooo true.

one more thing you can add your blog to the post in the gallery but please make it a direct link to the card you are talking about. if a year from now I want to see more of that card on your blog i would have to search for it if you didn't have the direct link.
Snap - I was going to say exactly the same thing after reading gale's comment. From reading many threads, some people will not even comment on a card that has no write-up other than *see my blog for details*, and they will certainly not click that link. And if it's a general link and not a permalink to the relevant post, it's very frustrating.
It's actually requested in the Site Posting Rules that a link to the direct post be included, not the blog home page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

when people put the link to their page you need to look for the special project, and it is easier when you type the direct link, l also don't like when people just say see details in my blog...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I just had to jump on and say I LOVE HEATHER! LOL (see a few posts above)

She has done work on my blog on a few occassions now and is the absolute lovliest lady around! I can't speak highly enough of her!

Karen
Australia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Great info Heather- thanks! I'm not sure if I did the email subscriptions/feedburner stuff correctly, but I tried
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks Heather for the great info. Everyone else thanks for the tip to link directly to the project. I started my blog recently and am going to try the feedburner idea first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Can anyone describe how to make a "permalink". I guess that's the kind that's associated with such directions as " you'll find that card here", and if you click on the "here" you're taken immediately to that card, right? I would love to be able to make that kind of link in my Comments on anyone's Blog. I don't have a Blog myself, if that matters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

please tell us how you change to a 3 column blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

you can try this site Three Column Blogger - they have great instruction and the code can also be tweaked.

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

If it's blogger then the new template system makes it super easy.

Click on Design then Template designer
Click layout and you have blog layouts to choose from:
  • No sidebar
  • Right sidebar
  • Right split sidebar (2 columns on the right)
  • Left and right split sidebar
  • Left and right sidebar (traditional 3 column)
  • Left sidebar
  • Left split sidebar
  • Left split and right sidebar
Pick one and apply to blog. It's that easy and you can go back and forth if you don't like it.

Blog: Green Isles
Blog Design: Design by Tee

Artfire: Green Isles Crafts

I design for: Creative Sketches
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

One more tip came to mind.... you can setup Technorati (Technorati) - in short its like a search engine for "blogs".

Oh remember to label or categorize your posts and make sure to use keywords in your Post Title when you can and in the content of your post (but NOT to overuse keywords either). Keywords may be stamping, card making or more specific like Baroque Motifs if you are creating a post featuring Stampin' Up!'s Baroque Motifs stamp set for example.

And one more (LOL)....go to Add your URL to Google and submit your site. This is free and no guarantee but doesn't hurt.

Man..I'm on a role....another idea is to have a newsletter - MailChimp.com is free but the most popular is Constant Contact I'm sure. Anyway you can use your newsletter to reach more customers and also to drive traffic to your site by linking to your site and certain section from w/in the newsletter.

Lastly, you can also use paid services like Google Adwords or I have personally used www.EnterURL.com in the past, as well as a Dynamic Submission (where you download the software for a fee but then manually submit your site to search engines yourself). You can find that here: Dynamic Submission 7 - FREE Dynamic SEO BONUS $199 | APEX Promotion Official Software. I am not an affiliate or anything, just wanted to share some tools

Best wishes

Anyway...I'm sure you've received lots of great tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

You are on a roll Heather! LOL Great ideas!

The one thing that people keep saying on other forums is to be consistent with your posting. It doesn't matter if you post every day or every three days, but post something. It keeps your readers coming.

Setting up subscriptions like Heather first said is great too.

Heather, are you recommending setting your feeds to full posts (with images) or clips so that they have to click to go to the blog for the full story and see images?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeForums at Splitcoaststampers
I tried the new designer and didn't like it. My page had a transparent white area on it that bugged me and I didn't feel like trying to figure out how to get rid of it. They may have come out with more designs since I tried but I just did it with my old template using a tutorial.
I know there are several base templates to choose from now. I tell people to think of that as choosing your menu style. You can customize them in the designer (to an extent) and even put css in right there. I don't do that though, I still edit the code.

Just had to find the image styling to remove the white backdrop so signatures would still show up as they should.

The designer is certainly not for everyone, especially someone like you; who is comfortable with working in the code. That's like a PsCS5 user trying to work in limited scrapbooking software. The average user and new blogger though, they will certainly appreciate an easy way to do things.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hportoForums at Splitcoaststampers
One more tip came to mind.... you can setup Technorati (Technorati) - in short its like a search engine for "blogs".

Oh remember to label or categorize your posts and make sure to use keywords in your Post Title when you can and in the content of your post (but NOT to overuse keywords either). Keywords may be stamping, card making or more specific like Baroque Motifs if you are creating a post featuring Stampin' Up!'s Baroque Motifs stamp set for example.

And one more (LOL)....go to Add your URL to Google and submit your site. This is free and no guarantee but doesn't hurt.

Man..I'm on a role....another idea is to have a newsletter - MailChimp.com is free but the most popular is Constant Contact I'm sure. Anyway you can use your newsletter to reach more customers and also to drive traffic to your site by linking to your site and certain section from w/in the newsletter.

Lastly, you can also use paid services like Google Adwords or I have personally used www.EnterURL.com in the past, as well as a Dynamic Submission (where you download the software for a fee but then manually submit your site to search engines yourself). You can find that here: Dynamic Submission 7 - FREE Dynamic SEO BONUS $199 | APEX Promotion Official Software. I am not an affiliate or anything, just wanted to share some tools

Best wishes

Anyway...I'm sure you've received lots of great tips.

WOW!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That is a lot of information!
Reply With Quote Likes