Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #41
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketfullofposies View Post
To answer your question, there are no restrictions to submitting cards that have been posted online via SCS or blogs. The only restriction on submitting is on cards that have already been published in other magazines.
Thanks for clarifying this. I've often wondered if I could submit things that I've put in my SCS gallery. And I also appreciate that you're taking the time to answer our questions. It's nice to know that someone is "listening" to us!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #42
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Sewell View Post
I am so excited and thought I would share -- I just got my mail from Saturday and in it was my complimentary copy of Rubber Stamper where my card is published on page 47! *excited* It is my first ever!!!
Congrats!! It's so exciting to see something of yours in print!!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #43
Polyshrink Goddess

To answer your question, there are no restrictions to submitting cards that have been posted online via SCS or blogs. The only restriction on submitting is on cards that have already been published in other magazines.

Thanks for your reply to this question. I also have cards I have posted at SCS that I'm thinking of submitting.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #44
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm sorry; I don't know how to make your comment show up in the gray box like other viewers do. For others viewing, the first two sentences in the above post were a quote from pocketfullofposies.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #45
Cupcake Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsnelson View Post
Congrats!! It's so exciting to see something of yours in print!!
Thanks Barb!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #46
Die Cut Diva

Congrats Amanda! Is it in the summer issue?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

Cool....start sending your art in!!! I've sent in a few things already and am anxious to see what happens!! Go for it girls!! I might get another batch of items ready to send in again. I'm subscribing to this thread for sure!!!
Thanks for posting this Pocket!!

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #48
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkstamper View Post
I'm sorry; I don't know how to make your comment show up in the gray box like other viewers do. For others viewing, the first two sentences in the above post were a quote from pocketfullofposies.
Having been where you are, I will give you a tip for doing the "quote thing". At the bottom of this message in the right hand corner there is a box that says "quote". If you want to respond to a message and use their quote, tap on this box and it will bring up a screen with the message. The message as you see it will start with brackets and then the word quote and then another bracket symbol....the message ends in the same way.

All you need to remember to get it to do the "quote thing" is to type your response AFTER the last bracket that appears around the the word quote at the end of the persons message. When you are done typing your response, hit the "submit post" button underneath the screen area and you will be finished! Simple to do and works everytime (except when the system goes down while you're typing! ).

Feel free to practice by responding to my message to see if works for you. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #49
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Having been where you are, I will give you a tip for doing the "quote thing". At the bottom of this message in the right hand corner there is a box that says "quote". If you want to respond to a message and use their quote, tap on this box and it will bring up a screen with the message. The message as you see it will start with brackets and then the word quote and then another bracket symbol....the message ends in the same way.

All you need to remember to get it to do the "quote thing" is to type your response AFTER the last bracket that appears around the the word quote at the end of the persons message. When you are done typing your response, hit the "submit post" button underneath the screen area and you will be finished! Simple to do and works everytime (except when the system goes down while you're typing! ).

Feel free to practice by responding to my message to see if works for you. Good luck!
Thanks, Boss. I don't know how I had missed the quote box previously; found it this afternoon.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #50
Cupcake Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynee View Post
Congrats Amanda! Is it in the summer issue?
It is the July/August issue -- with alcohol inks *grins*
Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #51
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Cool! I've heard of the magazine, but I've never seen one. I live in a small town with very little magazine supply ... It's hard to even find Paper Crafts.

I have a couple of questions:

I assume they'd take submissions from Canadians?

What's the benefit of submitting (besides having a ton of people see your artwork!)
Old 06-18-2007, 08:41 PM   #52
Proud Fan Club Member

Red face Uh-Oh

Now I'm a little worried ...I do both "artsy" and vintage. Had a bunch of cards to send in. Those are the things that I can do in 10 minutes. I like that people think they took a long time to do but I know what I do are simple techniques. My most important criterea in the magazine is that there is a good representation. I have cancelled quite a few magazines because they don't even use stamping on the cards. I also get bored seeing the same companies images. I really enjoy seeing all the styles possible. I guess I'll send them in a plain paper wrapper and see where they end up.

my blog: www.stamptart.blogspot.com
Old 06-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #53
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurene View Post
Now I'm a little worried ...I do both "artsy" and vintage. Had a bunch of cards to send in. Those are the things that I can do in 10 minutes. I like that people think they took a long time to do but I know what I do are simple techniques. My most important criterea in the magazine is that there is a good representation. I have cancelled quite a few magazines because they don't even use stamping on the cards. I also get bored seeing the same companies images. I really enjoy seeing all the styles possible. I guess I'll send them in a plain paper wrapper and see where they end up.
I'm with you 100%! Please send them in, because your work sounds right up my alley.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #54
Sassy Shani

Yep, do it now lil sis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin K View Post
I think I will too!

In fact perhaps I should get off my bumm and do it right now?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #55
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanon View Post
Yep, do it now lil sis!
Wow. Can't wait until I become a Beloved Twit!!! ROTFL.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #56
Sassy Shani

bWahahahahaha.....after 20K posts you can name yourself. This lovely name was picked out for me by a dear friend!
BTW....LOVE your siggy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
Wow. Can't wait until I become a Beloved Twit!!! ROTFL.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #57
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanon View Post
bWahahahahaha.....after 20K posts you can name yourself. This lovely name was picked out for me by a dear friend!
BTW....LOVE your siggy!
Well then-- I better get busy! LOL.

Originally my signature was "Miss Iowa 81, but my mom calls me Karen." But I had to change it because people were calling me Karen, and I was missing the messages! So few people call me by my real name anymore, that I'm not used to hearing it.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:31 AM   #58
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Well then-- I better get busy! LOL.

Originally my signature was "Miss Iowa 81, but my mom calls me Karen." But I had to change it because people were calling me Karen, and I was missing the messages! So few people call me by my real name anymore, that I'm not used to hearing it.

Hehehe...cute.. Well, you ARE supposed to have a Miss Iowa '81 photo in your profile..don't you know??? We wanna see our lil' miss beauty queen. That's sooooo fun! Harrah for YOU!!

Oh, and yes....send in that artwork right now!

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #59
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethhartley View Post
Hehehe...cute.. Well, you ARE supposed to have a Miss Iowa '81 photo in your profile..don't you know??? We wanna see our lil' miss beauty queen. That's sooooo fun! Harrah for YOU!!

Oh, and yes....send in that artwork right now!
I have so few pictures of myself that are jpegs, because I don't have a digital camera (I am a technological DINOSAUR: no cell phone, no digital camera, no DVD player, etc.). In fact the only one I have is of me with a skinny Elvis impersonator, and the one I use. LOL. Guess which one I am??
Old 06-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #60
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Hi ladies!

I'm the new managing editor of Take Ten magazine, and being a stamper myself, I wanted to request that some of you send in your cards for possible publication in the magazine. We're trying to get some new names in the magazine, and loads of you wonderful ladies are really talented. We're not just looking for cards featuring Stampin' Up products. We want a wide-range of products featured. Our next artwork submission deadline is July 15th. We're not looking for a specific type of card, just those that can be completed in ten minutes or less.

Please send your submissions to:

Stampington & Co.
c/o Take Ten
22992 Mill Creek Road, Suite B
Laguna Hills, CA 92653

If you have any questions, please feel free to private message me!

Thanks!
This a wonderful post! Thank you for taking the time to present this here. There are so many fabulous stampers here on this board who may not have known a lot of the info you posted in this and your follow up posts. How exciting it will be to see new artists each month in your wonderful publication!

Just like a new song on the radio, fresh artists and ideas are always a such a pleasure!!
Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #61
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, this may be a stupid question but I'll ask it. I have never submitted anything to be published except my thesis, which was a journal article. So my question is what kind of information do you submit with the card? Do you list all the supplies you use? Can you give me some tips? Thanks!
Old 06-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #62
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaddyBaby View Post
Ok, this may be a stupid question but I'll ask it. I have never submitted anything to be published except my thesis, which was a journal article. So my question is what kind of information do you submit with the card? Do you list all the supplies you use? Can you give me some tips? Thanks!
Not a stupid question at all! Each publication is different, but if you go to the Stampington (publisher of Take 10 and other magazines) website you can find information. Typically you include brief instructions on how you made each card (the steps involved), and you must include the company name of any stamps used. Here's a link. And maybe the new managing editor who originally posted the call in this thread will respond too.

http://www.stampington.com/html/wann...published.html
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #63
Rubber Obsessor

I have never submitted any cards either, but what the heck, I'm going to. I have the same chance as everyone else. Well, most everyone else. I'll send them my cards, if they like fine-if they don't like fine. " It is better to have tried and failed than not tried at all." If there is any more info about what we must have on the cards, please post we know. I'm going to get ready some cards ready tonight to go in the mail tomorrow!!! Sounds like fun.

By the way, I have never seen this magazine, is it a subscription, or can you buy it in a store. If it is a subscription, could someone pm me the information please.

Thanks,

Mommaladystamper--Alice
Old 06-19-2007, 10:04 AM   #64
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaladystamper View Post
I have never submitted any cards either, but what the heck, I'm going to. I have the same chance as everyone else. Well, most everyone else. I'll send them my cards, if they like fine-if they don't like fine. " It is better to have tried and failed than not tried at all." If there is any more info about what we must have on the cards, please post we know. I'm going to get ready some cards ready tonight to go in the mail tomorrow!!! Sounds like fun.

By the way, I have never seen this magazine, is it a subscription, or can you buy it in a store. If it is a subscription, could someone pm me the information please.

Thanks,

Mommaladystamper--Alice
My local Barnes and Noble store carries several of the Stampington publications, including Take 10, Stamper's Sampler, and Somerset Studio. You can also order by subscription.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #65
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Not a stupid question at all! Each publication is different, but if you go to the Stampington (publisher of Take 10 and other magazines) website you can find information. Typically you include brief instructions on how you made each card (the steps involved), and you must include the company name of any stamps used. Here's a link. And maybe the new managing editor who originally posted the call in this thread will respond too.

http://www.stampington.com/html/wann...published.html
Thanks so much for the info! I might just do this after all!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #66
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

oooh, this is exciting! I have a dream... of being published one day!! thanks for the opportunity!
Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #67
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela R. View Post
oooh, this is exciting! I have a dream... of being published one day!! thanks for the opportunity!
I've been debating about submitting something for a while, which is why I SOUND like I know what I'm doing. But I haven't yet for various reasons. I've decided that when I make a card that I really like, I should just make another one right then and there. Once I have several ready to go, I'll submit them. (They recommend sending in more than just one or two, of course.)

It does feel fabulous to get your work published. A couple of years ago I had some jewelry of mine published in Bead Style Magazine. They sent me 2 free advance copies of that issue and it was fun to impress my family and friends with it. LOL
Old 06-19-2007, 11:32 AM   #68
Gabfest Goddess

I would love to submit some cards. Do you need to write the entire recipe? I am not new to stamping but new to submitting. This would be my first time.

Thanks so much for the great info.

My Gallery
Old 06-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #69
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
You're actually correct. For our Memories publication, we do take electronic submissions, and then if the publisher likes them, she has the editor request for the actual pieces to be sent in. Because the process is like this, I'm going to bring up to the publisher that we do the same. The only problem I see with it is that the amounts of Take Ten and Stampers' Sampler submissions is insane and could be difficult to go through electronically.

For one, I do not know how to send electronically, so I would not be able to submit a card. I would rather send my card in, that way I know it will be opened and seen and I will at least have a chance that way. I would have NO chance what so ever if I had to submit electronically. Just stating my opinion.

Thanks,

Alice
Old 06-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #70
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaladystamper View Post
For one, I do not know how to send electronically, so I would not be able to submit a card. I would rather send my card in, that way I know it will be opened and seen and I will at least have a chance that way. I would have NO chance what so ever if I had to submit electronically. Just stating my opinion.

Thanks,

Alice

Same here, Alice! I've sent hundreds of samples in and have been published in 10 issues. This would not have be possible for me if it were dependent upon electronic submissions. So the current "send in the card" method works just fine for me!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #71
Vee
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurene View Post
Oh laurene, Your cards are perfect for stampington publications! You should definitely submit them. Also, if you have a group of cards with the same color scheme or theme, submit them together. Look in the magazine and they often put several from the same person together becasue they are related in some way. I LOVE your gallery. it is just my thing.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #72
Embossing Fanatic

I cannot express how excited I am to see how many of you are interested in submitting! That's why I came here.

For those of you who are worried about your work being too vintage/artsy, still submit them! As a lot of people know, the vintage look is Stampington's style. We're not trying to get rid of it. We're trying to also feature the more modern, "cute" cards too. I for one love vintage things, but I also love my Stampin Up! and Close To My Heart stamps and materials. We're trying to reach everyone and make everyone happy
Old 06-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #73
Rubber Obsessor

That's good, because I for one have not done any vintage cards, but I would love to start experimenting with them. I can do simple cards. On some cards I go into more detail with embossing, bling, flowers, and such, but I can also do very simple.

Thanks for giving us a chance to show our art work. I'm on my way to finishing some cards, so I can mail them out soon.

Thanks Again!!!

Alice
Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #74
Stampin' Fool

Default What's wrong with "arty-farty"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara hickson View Post
I have noticed that quite a number of magazines both in the U.S and across the pond have become very "arty-farty".You almost need an art degree to make the projects and in no way are these quick or easy. Pehaps this is a natural progression because stamping has been so popular.The members of SCS produce masses of lovely work which is not complicated but because of the ability to put together their materials in such a way that they look so sophicated. More power to your elbows girls!

I look at publications that show the "higher" end of paper creations, what I think you call "arty-farty," like I look at fashion magazines. Yes, they're probably above the heads of many people aesthetically and not something you'd commonly see the everyday stamper creating; just like the coture designer fashions you see in Vogue are probably not what you'd wear to shop in at Wal-Mart. But it is something to which one can aspire, and be influenced by. I, as an art historian, am thrilled to see the art of papercrafting taken to a higher plane, and, like most great art, it is probably not going to be appreciated by the general populace until its creators are dead.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #75
Embossing Fanatic

Hey everyone!

I have to apologize for this, but I had a bit of a blonde moment and posted the wrong deadline for submissions. It IS August 1st. I mixed it up with one of the other deadlines. My apologies. I'm new and still a bit wet behind the ears
Old 06-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #76
Die Cut Diva

Which issue of Take Ten had this layout http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=22306 for the challenge? I mailed in the submissions but don't remember what issue it was for. Wondering if that issue has already come out or not.

Jane
Old 06-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #77
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Hey everyone!

I have to apologize for this, but I had a bit of a blonde moment and posted the wrong deadline for submissions. It IS August 1st. I mixed it up with one of the other deadlines. My apologies. I'm new and still a bit wet behind the ears

Whew!!! Huge sigh of relief! I was discombobulated with the change in submission date and didn't know how I was going to get cards in before vacation, out of town visitors, etc....the extra two weeks really eases the schedule!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:54 PM   #78
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by troopersma View Post
Which issue of Take Ten had this layout http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=22306 for the challenge? I mailed in the submissions but don't remember what issue it was for. Wondering if that issue has already come out or not.

Jane

I believe the deadline using that sketch was May 1st, 2006, for the Take Ten Autumn 2007 issue, I think that comes out sometime in August.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #79
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieHRR View Post

A publication will only be as good as the submissions it receives.

That said, you also have an opportunity to submit projects you believe would be ideal it! They're on the hunt for fresh work and fresh faces, as she said, so why give it a whirl?! You just might see your design gracing the pages!
So true ... and so cool that the mag is looking for new names! I may have to get to work stamping something awesome!! {lol}
Susan
Old 06-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #80
Embossing Fanatic

That layout is going to be in the Autumn 07 issue which comes out September 1st!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troopersma View Post

Jane