In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 07:28 AM   #81
Insane Embellisher
 
shadowkat1283's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRials View Post
Wanted to add a story: Over here, we have what are called Camel spiders--they are as large as dinner plates. They will not hurt you, but they like to be in the shade; like in your shadow. If you move, they will follow your shadow; if you run, they will run after you trying to follow your shadow!!!!! If THAT doesn't get your heart pumping, NOTHING will !!!!!
When my husband was deployed he sent back pictures of those camel spiders. I am terrified of spiders and couldn't even look at the pictures. I have never seen a spider that is so big. I told him that there isn't a shoe big enough to kill one! The spider would pick up the shoe and carry it away! LOL

Kathy
__________________
Please visit my very small Gallery
Proud Air Force Wife
shadowkat1283 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #82
Gabfest Goddess
 
Lorstamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Andover, NJ/Rehoboth Bch, DE/Winter Garden, FL
Posts: 7,572
Default

Gross! Granny I'm guessing those were the 3 little white buckets in the $1 spot that are wrapped? We bought a ton for my sister's wedding favors back in May. Didn't find anything as interesting as you did (just some that weren't painted all the way!)
__________________
Lori Hanna

<--Wishing I was cruising (Caribbean Princess, May 2010)
Lorstamps is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #83
Crimping Master
 
Vivi's Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 1,109
Default

OK I'm going to join in since I'm in the company of many, many arachnophobics. I lived in a duplex near Ft. Riley in 2002. Not a good year for me. That apartment was like the deadly plagues of Egypt! I had a cricket infestation (to this day I can't STAND the sound of a cricket chirp), had 2 night crawler earthworms in my hallway (how the H did they get all the way into the middle of the apartment??), and 1 mouse my kitty killed (her finest hour since usually she can't even kill a bug).

But the piece de resistance was I got bit by a Brown Recluse. How do I know for sure?? I caught the dang thing on my pillow and sent it to an entemologist (yes I am a nerd). I found a website that said "send me your spiders" so I did. I was actually his first confirmed bite and my pic might be in a medical journal somewhere.

I feel blessed since the dang thing bit me on my lower eye lid (I could see little fang mark-type bruises) but since it was a juvenile male it's the least toxic of recluses. What luck I was just sleeping in my bed. Needless to say I had nightmares of seeing a spider coming down it's web slowly slowly getting closer to my face... ugh! For about a year I would wake and find myself standing next to my bed breathing like I'd just run a 400 meter sprint! Nothing like a little PTSD! The nightmares lasted about 3-4 years but thankfully after I married I didn't jump out of the bed anymore. DH would just say calmly... "you're ok there's nothing there". The bite did damage the bone around my eye some and thankfully it rarely hurts. For years every time I got a cold it would just throb. I realize it could have been soooo much worse!

Enjoy the pic... I smiled since if I didn't try to laugh at the situation I would have cried my EYE out (the other one swelled shut for 5 days!!!) Lesson to be learned... don't have a bed skirt that's how they can get in your bed. (but not the only way ooooohhh!)

Enjoy the attached photo and feel free to laugh. It is in my Army shirt so I'm not looking super girly plus it's really hard to put on makeup with only 1 eye.
Attached Thumbnails
spider-eye.jpg  
__________________
www.bellebebeboutique.com
Vivi's Mommy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #84
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,491
Default Spiders

I am curious to here what the outcome of your spider in the target buckets will be. I would have never thought to send it off - smart move!

Here is my creepy/crawly story I want to share with you: Several years ago my husband and I were in bed asleep when all of the sudden I felt something crawling on my face. I woke up right now and reached up to my face to grab what was there. The room was dark so I didn't get to see it - but I grabbed it and threw it across the room. It was huge! It was a handfull! I sat up and turned on the light and tried to find where it was, what it was and kill it. It was gone - I couldn't find it. My husband (now ex-husband) yelled at me to turn the light out he was trying to sleep. So I couldn't look for it very long. I never did find it. We had a wood-burning stove at that time - I would carry the wood in and stack it beside the burner. I think I had carried it in with the wood. I think that it was on the ceiling and spun a web down to get on my face. I was afraid of carrying in wood with spiders in it after that - but if I didn't carry it in the fire would have gone out. My ex wouldn't carry it in. Needless to say I had trouble sleeping for awhile after that. I also purchased a wheelbarrow so I could load the wood in it and bring it up to the house rather then carrying it up in arm loads.
kraftykatekloset is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #85
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,491
Default Spiders

Rachel, I am so glad that you are doing okay now. You said that your bite was the first comfirmed bite from the Brown Recluse - so does this mean that they don't normally bite? You were asleep - what would have made the spider attack and bite you? Has the entemologist been able to give you alot of information on this spider and the reasons for it biting you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi's Mommy View Post
OK I'm going to join in since I'm in the company of many, many arachnophobics. I lived in a duplex near Ft. Riley in 2002. Not a good year for me. That apartment was like the deadly plagues of Egypt! I had a cricket infestation (to this day I can't STAND the sound of a cricket chirp), had 2 night crawler earthworms in my hallway (how the H did they get all the way into the middle of the apartment??), and 1 mouse my kitty killed (her finest hour since usually she can't even kill a bug).

But the piece de resistance was I got bit by a Brown Recluse. How do I know for sure?? I caught the dang thing on my pillow and sent it to an entemologist (yes I am a nerd). I found a website that said "send me your spiders" so I did. I was actually his first confirmed bite and my pic might be in a medical journal somewhere.

I feel blessed since the dang thing bit me on my lower eye lid (I could see little fang mark-type bruises) but since it was a juvenile male it's the least toxic of recluses. What luck I was just sleeping in my bed. Needless to say I had nightmares of seeing a spider coming down it's web slowly slowly getting closer to my face... ugh! For about a year I would wake and find myself standing next to my bed breathing like I'd just run a 400 meter sprint! Nothing like a little PTSD! The nightmares lasted about 3-4 years but thankfully after I married I didn't jump out of the bed anymore. DH would just say calmly... "you're ok there's nothing there". The bite did damage the bone around my eye some and thankfully it rarely hurts. For years every time I got a cold it would just throb. I realize it could have been soooo much worse!

Enjoy the pic... I smiled since if I didn't try to laugh at the situation I would have cried my EYE out (the other one swelled shut for 5 days!!!) Lesson to be learned... don't have a bed skirt that's how they can get in your bed. (but not the only way ooooohhh!)

Enjoy the attached photo and feel free to laugh. It is in my Army shirt so I'm not looking super girly plus it's really hard to put on makeup with only 1 eye.
kraftykatekloset is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #86
Crimping Master
 
Vivi's Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 1,109
Default

Kate~
I was that entemologist's first confirmed bite within his study. People kept sending him spiders but they were usually hobo spiders or something completely unrelated. Yes they usually are reclusive (hence the name) but lucky me I had a crazy teenage boy spider out to cause some ruckus... well I showed him! The spider researcher thought it was odd but it wasn't unheard of for one to bite without provocation. I guess I just looked tasty! Most people that get bit by them were cleaning a closet, garage or attic and disturb them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftykatekloset View Post
Rachel, I am so glad that you are doing okay now. You said that your bite was the first comfirmed bite from the Brown Recluse - so does this mean that they don't normally bite? You were asleep - what would have made the spider attack and bite you? Has the entemologist been able to give you alot of information on this spider and the reasons for it biting you?
__________________
www.bellebebeboutique.com
Vivi's Mommy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #87
Forum Fanatic
 
nottoocreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 9,678
Default

OK, I WASN'T afraid of spiders (especially) but NOW I will be having nightmares about them...ewewewewwwwwww! I find it interesting that the arachnophobes are the ones who seem to encounter the most spiders unexpectedly! The worst thing that has ever happened to me was one in a shoe...
Rachel, that is one terrible bite owie! : (
__________________
Lynn

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
nottoocreative is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #88
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,491
Default Spiders

Rachel, Thanks for the info. Leave it to a male to cause problems!!! Everyones stories have been interesting but I don't think I am going to be able to sleep tonight. I keep thinking I have something crawling on me. You haven't seen any of them since, have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi's Mommy View Post
Kate~
I was that entemologist's first confirmed bite within his study. People kept sending him spiders but they were usually hobo spiders or something completely unrelated. Yes they usually are reclusive (hence the name) but lucky me I had a crazy teenage boy spider out to cause some ruckus... well I showed him! The spider researcher thought it was odd but it wasn't unheard of for one to bite without provocation. I guess I just looked tasty! Most people that get bit by them were cleaning a closet, garage or attic and disturb them.
kraftykatekloset is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:43 AM   #89
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: st louis, mo
Posts: 3,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterPixie View Post
I am SO not clicking on that link! LOL!!
it's a big stick bug, looks like 3 sticks on the ground, you would never know it was a bug if they didnt tell you !!!
__________________
Tammy Hayes
every day above ground is a good day
crabbyscraper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:48 AM   #90
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: st louis, mo
Posts: 3,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi's Mommy View Post
Kate~
I was that entemologist's first confirmed bite within his study. People kept sending him spiders but they were usually hobo spiders or something completely unrelated. Yes they usually are reclusive (hence the name) but lucky me I had a crazy teenage boy spider out to cause some ruckus... well I showed him! The spider researcher thought it was odd but it wasn't unheard of for one to bite without provocation. I guess I just looked tasty! Most people that get bit by them were cleaning a closet, garage or attic and disturb them.
i live in the suburb of st louis and i lost my dog to a brown recluse bite, i live by st louis airport and my dog got bit while in the back yard by the shed!!! i kill every spider now i dont care!!! they are going to die !!!!
__________________
Tammy Hayes
every day above ground is a good day
crabbyscraper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #91
Kookie Creator
 
Mousie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 361
Default

I'd like to thank you all for your fascinating stories....there's something about stories about creepy crawlies that you just can't turn away from, even if you are deathly afraid of them. I'm fairly scared of spiders, bees, wasps, scorpions, the small spiders don't bug me if they aren't on me. Anything bigger than a quarter (legs and all) is definite terror material and flying stinging things.....forget it. I've awakened my husband before in the morning as I was getting ready for work to kill a spider that I thought might surprise me if I let it get out of site. I had one that did get out of site, one minute it was in the bathroom and then next it crawled across the hall to the door frame of the guest room where my work clothes were hanging. Something made me check the clothes and as I cautiously lifted the leg of my pants hanging on the hangar, there he was, the little B**tard, on the other leg of my pants. Luckily I had another pair ironed and ready to go. I left my husband a note to get rid of the spider when he woke up and then interogated him later to find out if he actually saw the spider when he shook them outside (yes he had and he killed it).

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is because after reading this post the other day, two days later I had a nightmare about the big wolf spider that someone kindly posted early on in the forum. There were lots of them and they were about as big as a large mans hand, to me they look like tarantulas and there were several of them in my bedroom. I was so scared in my dream and even after they went away I was still concerned that they might just be hiding.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your scariest moments with insects.
__________________
~Sandy

My Gallery
Mousie is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #92
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
 
kstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Trying to find myself
Posts: 4,920
Default

If anyone is still reading this thread, I have a spider story to add. When I was about 8 or 10 yrs old, we were visiting my grandmother. We would always find these big hairy black spiders in the bathtub of the guest bathroom (guess she never went in there) and various other places in the house. Anyway, it was late in the summer and really HOT and muggy in the house with no air conditioning. I was sleeping on the couch without any covers on, and a little twitch on the back of my leg woke me up. I didn't move at first, but then I felt it again and again. So I reached back to scratch my leg, and put my hand right on top of one of those big hairy spiders!! I brushed it off of me, bolted off of the couch and turned the light on. There it was on the middle of the floor crawling back to me!! Well that was the end of that spider's life. Needless to say, I couldn't go back to sleep because I felt twitches everywhere that I thought were spiders. So I spent the rest of the night sitting in the bathroom (checked for spiders in the tub first) with the light on cleaning my Dad's razor with a toothpick!!
Luckily, I don't have an irrational fear of spiders, but I don't like them crawling on me unless I invite them to.
__________________
Former CAS Design Team Member
My blog - Syzygy of Me
kstamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #93
Kookie Creator
 
carabecca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: DE
Posts: 415
Default

I feel like things are crawling all over me right now. Why in the world did I read this entire thread?
__________________
Cara Story Worth Telling - My Blog
My SCS Gallery October Goal 34/31
DT Coordinates Collections
carabecca is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #94
Gabfest Goddess
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 7,018
Default

Geez, I had to read the entire thread too and on Halloween eve!
I'm really creeped out!
I hate spiders and centipedes and millipedes...
Michele Klein is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #95
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,491
Default Spiders

Hey Granny Hawkins, Have you heard anything yet about your findings in the bottom of your buckets? Just curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
I posted this in Everyday Chit Chat but thought some of you may not ever go there....

When I was unstacking/unwrapping the buckets($1.00 Spot) I found a web,spider(dead) and what looked like eggs in the bottom of one of the buckets.

I know it could have come from Target's warehouse but since they were made in and shipped from China the thought hit me that maybe the Dept Of AG might want to see it.


I think weird stuff sometimes.

I called them yesterday and they DO want me to send it to them.

I packed it's little carc-a-s-s in a hard plastic case with the paper towel I wiped it out of the bucket with,boxed it up and it is waiting to go to the PO.

I put that bucket aside and did not use it.

They told me to include a note with all my info on it and asked to be contacted with the results.

No telling when I will hear from them.
kraftykatekloset is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:22 AM   #96
Die Cut Diva
 
cincimom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,580
Default

bump to hear from Granny Hawkins
__________________
Debbie

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=52833
cincimom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #97
Matboard Maniac
 
kanaclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 342
Default

I don't do spiders. (literally, and not so literally for those with their minds in the gutter, LOL)
anyway, I sit here, wiggling all over the chair b/c I think I have spiders crawling all over me now. BUT then, the make it worse, all these names of spiders, I go off and open new tabs to google them and see what they look like.

I've hence learned a few things.
1. that camel spider is scary as H#&L. The thing has 10 legs.
2. Those banana spiders are huge too. and ugly
3. dont' google spiders when no one is awake to tell me it's just on the computer screen, LOL

okay, Granny, give us an update when you can. I've been following this and can't wait to see what comes of it.

Take Care,

~Kana
kanaclark is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #98
Mad Swapper
 
GramMcCaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston's North Shore
Posts: 1,576
Default

Yes, we are all waiting for the "news". G
__________________
1 husband, 5 children, 10 grandchildren, Life is Good!
IF ALL ELSE FAILS, I READ THE DIRECTIONS
GramMcCaul is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #99
Rubber Obsessor
 
momerath42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 100
Default

More brown recluse info...

My dad was bitten before I was born, while he was sleeping. It made him very ill, he lost a big chunk of flesh on his back, and has a scar about the size of a half dollar to this day (it happened over 30 years ago). It isn't uncommon for people to bit in their sleep.

Did I mention I absolutely abhor spiders?

We killed about 10 brown recluse spiders in my elementary classroom during the course of the 2007-2008 school year. *shudder*
__________________
Larynn
momerath42 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #100
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5
Default

Yikes I would have freaked too! Hope, but not expecting, you hear back.

Let us know.

liz
lizmil is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:33 AM   #101
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,491
Default Spider In Target Buckets

Hi Granny Hawkins! Don't leave us hanging!!! Let us know what you know! Have you heard anything yet about the spiders yet?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
I posted this in Everyday Chit Chat but thought some of you may not ever go there....

When I was unstacking/unwrapping the buckets($1.00 Spot) I found a web,spider(dead) and what looked like eggs in the bottom of one of the buckets.

I know it could have come from Target's warehouse but since they were made in and shipped from China the thought hit me that maybe the Dept Of AG might want to see it.


I think weird stuff sometimes.

I called them yesterday and they DO want me to send it to them.

I packed it's little carc-a-s-s in a hard plastic case with the paper towel I wiped it out of the bucket with,boxed it up and it is waiting to go to the PO.

I put that bucket aside and did not use it.

They told me to include a note with all my info on it and asked to be contacted with the results.

No telling when I will hear from them.
__________________
Proud Mother of 2 Active Marines & 1 Marine Veteran!
Proud of my Police Son & Daughter too!
Serving our country to keep us safe and free!
kraftykatekloset is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #102
Rubber Obsessor
 
momerath42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 100
Default

Any word????

Another spider story... I got bit by a spider on Saturday! I was scared to death it was a brown recluse, but when I saw my Dr. yesterday he confirmed it WAS indeed a spider bite (and not MRSA) but NOT from a brown recluse.

The spider was inside my shirt when I put it on (I hadn't worn the shirt since last winter). So, I would like to recommend that all of you be sure to shake out any clothing that has been in the closet or a drawer for a while to make sure there aren't any creepy crawlies inside!!!
__________________
Larynn
momerath42 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #103
Splitcoast Team Member
 
stamp_momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 12,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momerath42 View Post
More brown recluse info...

My dad was bitten before I was born, while he was sleeping. It made him very ill, he lost a big chunk of flesh on his back, and has a scar about the size of a half dollar to this day (it happened over 30 years ago). It isn't uncommon for people to bit in their sleep.

Did I mention I absolutely abhor spiders?

We killed about 10 brown recluse spiders in my elementary classroom during the course of the 2007-2008 school year. *shudder*
My mom was bit by a brown recluse in her sleep, too! It was about 5 years ago, and her spot (on arm) healed after a hospital stay and several months. I see you're in Missouri, like me. We are prime real estate for them. I saw one statistic that said 80 - 85% of the houses in Missouri and Kansas have them....shudder...
__________________
Lori Craig • Splitcoast Advertising Manager
blogging and helping your favorite crafty companies succeed in business

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
stamp_momma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #104
Splitcoast Team Member
 
stamp_momma's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 12,336
Default

Lots of great recluse info on this site. We have used these traps since my mom's incident. They are especially effective since chemicals actually hinder spider control - the spiders prefer to prey on dead bugs and are not affected by the chemicals.

http://www.brown-recluse.com/
__________________
Lori Craig • Splitcoast Advertising Manager
blogging and helping your favorite crafty companies succeed in business

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
stamp_momma is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #105
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
 
1busymomof2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 6,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp_momma View Post
Lots of great recluse info on this site. We have used these traps since my mom's incident. They are especially effective since chemicals actually hinder spider control - the spiders prefer to prey on dead bugs and are not affected by the chemicals.

http://www.brown-recluse.com/
OMGoodness
I went to that site and saw what the bites look like holy moly batman!! What a dangerous spider!
__________________
my blog
Designing for LawnFawn Stamp Co Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L
1busymomof2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:57 AM   #106
Insane Embellisher
 
Kimmie0270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 954
Default

That's creepy... any new updates?
__________________
Kimmie0270 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #107
Kookie Creator
 
SimplyStampin123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 461
Default

I'm so glad i stumbled on this thread at bedtime. Even though I hate spiders, my curiousity of course led me to read the entire thread. I'm wide awake now, and it seems as though things are crawling all over my body. This summer we were vacationing up in Canada and we found a Dock Spider which was probably the size of an outstrectched hand...palm and fingers included. OMG! One of the men dangled his fishing lure infront of the thing and it JUMPED up and wrapped its legs around the lure and wouldn't let go. He had to submerge it in water to make it release. Apparently they swim or breath or something too. I'm afraid to swim in the lake now for fear one will latch on to my body.
__________________
View my gallery!
SimplyStampin123 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #108
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,491
Default Spider In Target Buckets

I hate spiders too - yet I can't seem to stay away from this thread! Ever since I read this I always think I have spiders crawling all over me. Maybe I'll feel better once I know what Granny Hawkins found out!?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyStampin123 View Post
I'm so glad i stumbled on this thread at bedtime. Even though I hate spiders, my curiousity of course led me to read the entire thread. I'm wide awake now, and it seems as though things are crawling all over my body. This summer we were vacationing up in Canada and we found a Dock Spider which was probably the size of an outstrectched hand...palm and fingers included. OMG! One of the men dangled his fishing lure infront of the thing and it JUMPED up and wrapped its legs around the lure and wouldn't let go. He had to submerge it in water to make it release. Apparently they swim or breath or something too. I'm afraid to swim in the lake now for fear one will latch on to my body.
__________________
Proud Mother of 2 Active Marines & 1 Marine Veteran!
Proud of my Police Son & Daughter too!
Serving our country to keep us safe and free!
kraftykatekloset is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #109
Gabfest Goddess
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KS. (the official middle of nowhere)
Posts: 7,293
Default

OK, I have to chime in with my spider story. Years ago, I used to live in a mobile home in Michigan, and one night I went into the bathroom around midnight, and there was the biggest danged spider I've ever seen on the ceiling (funny how those suckers stand out against a white background!). I hyperventilated, and ran out of the trailer. My neighbors lights were on, so in a panic, I ran over and pounded on the door. It took a whlle for her to answer, but she got her husband and he went over to deal with the spider. (I stayed at HER place until he came back) He came back and said he'd killed it, and flushed the remains, so I was safe. Next day, I was talking to the neighbor, and she said she'd asked hubby if it was as scary as I'd said, and he told her it was the biggest damn spider he'd seen since Vietnam!
(ps- the really funny part is I interrupted them having, shall we say....marrital relations? See, spider removal is more important than sex!!!)
contrapat is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #110
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver
 
MariLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 25,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrapat View Post
OK, I have to chime in with my spider story. Years ago, I used to live in a mobile home in Michigan, and one night I went into the bathroom around midnight, and there was the biggest danged spider I've ever seen on the ceiling (funny how those suckers stand out against a white background!). I hyperventilated, and ran out of the trailer. My neighbors lights were on, so in a panic, I ran over and pounded on the door. It took a whlle for her to answer, but she got her husband and he went over to deal with the spider. (I stayed at HER place until he came back) He came back and said he'd killed it, and flushed the remains, so I was safe. Next day, I was talking to the neighbor, and she said she'd asked hubby if it was as scary as I'd said, and he told her it was the biggest damn spider he'd seen since Vietnam!
(ps- the really funny part is I interrupted them having, shall we say....marrital relations? See, spider removal is more important than sex!!!)

Sounds like you had great neighbors.
MariLynn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #111
Gabfest Goddess
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KS. (the official middle of nowhere)
Posts: 7,293
Default

I really did! I was bummed when they divorced and she moved!
contrapat is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #112
Kookie Creator
 
nltolonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Airdrie, AB. Canada
Posts: 465
Default

I like spiders.....not when they are crawling on me but I do find them fascinating. Sick I know.
My oldest brother Allan loved spiders. He had a spider that spun its web in between two sawhorses that he had in the gargage. He made sure that his wife and two boys knew not to move the sawhorses and disturb the web. He would sit out there at night to have a drink and unwind and watch the spider ......different strokes for different folks right?
My older brother passed away five years ago . He was only 55 . The odd thing is that the summer he died, this huge spider ( I think they are called cat spiders here in Alberta) took up residence just above my front door. It spun its web under the front porch roof. During the day it would hide above the door, all you could see would be part of its long legs but at night it would hang in the web ......very cool. I left it alone and of course gave it a name, Big Al, which was my brother's nickname. We have had a spider there every year since and it just makes me think of my brother and how he was fascinated by them as well. I know it is odd but somehow comforting.
__________________

Nancy
So many stamps....so little time!
nltolonen is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #113
Pearl-ExPert
 
dpkennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,220
Default

So my DH and I move into our first house 5 years ago. This small, dilapidated, wonderful old house...that was in need of serious tlc! We had to replace pretty much everything (and still working on it!). It was full of drafts and we used to get lots of visitors...ants, spiders, ladybugs, crickets...nothing larger thank goodness!

So one night after putting the baby to bed, we retired to the sofa to watch tv...only illuminated by the glow of the tube as we liked to do each night before bed. We also liked to have a snack to round out the evening! I went to the kitchen to get the previously opened package of Oreo cookies and two glasses of milk. We dunked and ate, and ate and dunked, until we had our fill. I sat back and noticed that it looked like my milk was moving inside the glass. I got up and turned on the light to find that there were dozens of tiny red ants not only floating on top of the milk, but crawling all over the inside and outside of the glass. Then we both looked down at the package of Oreo cookies...yep, covered in ants! We both turned a bit green and got up to brush ourselves off, clean up the cookies and milk, and get a drink to wash away any "residue". Then we laughed hysterically! I mean, they were so tiny we didn't see them, feel them, or taste them!

When I called the exterminator and spoke with his office assistant ( a guy!) he freaked out! I still laugh when I tell people the story and see the look of disgust on their faces! I don't like bugs crawling on me, but I don't really mind them, and I try never to kill them. That doesn't mean that I don't scream if they surprise me though!

I hope this doesn't ruin Oreo cookies for anyone
__________________

Danielle Kennedy

My Blog
Power Poppy
A Day For Daisies
dpkennedy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #114
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Shawna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chester, Montana
Posts: 662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcat22 View Post
Guess that just proves fruit is dangerous...should stick to individually wrapped chocolates...LOL
You are my kinda lady !!!!!
__________________
Shawna Renville
http://mtstamper.blogspot

Shawna is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #115
Insane Embellisher
 
gigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oh, Canada!
Posts: 987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp_momma View Post
Lots of great recluse info on this site. We have used these traps since my mom's incident. They are especially effective since chemicals actually hinder spider control - the spiders prefer to prey on dead bugs and are not affected by the chemicals.

http://www.brown-recluse.com/
Like the proverbial train wreck ~ I just had to take a look . . . ewww! Those poor people! How do I get THOSE images out of my head. Now I've gotta go and read the first post. I don't like spiders, but I think Spiderman is great.
__________________
Shirley

I'm not a complete idiot ~ some of my parts are missing!
gigs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #116
Stampin' Fool
 
ponygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkennedy View Post
So my DH and I move into our first house 5 years ago. This small, dilapidated, wonderful old house...that was in need of serious tlc! We had to replace pretty much everything (and still working on it!). It was full of drafts and we used to get lots of visitors...ants, spiders, ladybugs, crickets...nothing larger thank goodness!

So one night after putting the baby to bed, we retired to the sofa to watch tv...only illuminated by the glow of the tube as we liked to do each night before bed. We also liked to have a snack to round out the evening! I went to the kitchen to get the previously opened package of Oreo cookies and two glasses of milk. We dunked and ate, and ate and dunked, until we had our fill. I sat back and noticed that it looked like my milk was moving inside the glass. I got up and turned on the light to find that there were dozens of tiny red ants not only floating on top of the milk, but crawling all over the inside and outside of the glass. Then we both looked down at the package of Oreo cookies...yep, covered in ants! We both turned a bit green and got up to brush ourselves off, clean up the cookies and milk, and get a drink to wash away any "residue". Then we laughed hysterically! I mean, they were so tiny we didn't see them, feel them, or taste them!

When I called the exterminator and spoke with his office assistant ( a guy!) he freaked out! I still laugh when I tell people the story and see the look of disgust on their faces! I don't like bugs crawling on me, but I don't really mind them, and I try never to kill them. That doesn't mean that I don't scream if they surprise me though!

I hope this doesn't ruin Oreo cookies for anyone

My dh ate a pizza like this. He had a slice about half gone when he noticed his arm was tickling. Turned out to be little black ants all over the pizza. He didn't want to throw out the pizza so he put it in the fridge, waited until the ants were cold and dumped them off, then finished the pizza. Ewwww....
__________________
~~Lisa~~
My 365 Challenge blog-
My Gallery
ponygirl is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #117
Stazon Splitcoast
 
inkerzaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: enjoying retired life in FL!
Posts: 24,278
Default ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn D View Post
I worked in a grocery store for years when I was in high school, college and grad school. There was this one time I was bagging some bananas and this spider about at big as my hand came out of the bunch when they were picked and packaged. I of course screamed and ran away as fast as I could. It was a banana spider and it must have been an egg in the bunch. The produce guy came and killed it and the store had to send it to the Department of Ag. It was the nastiest thing I have ever seen and it gives me a creepy feeling just thinking about it. I'm glad your spider was deceased.

yucko!!! I somehow started in at the bottom of this thread and have been working my way backwards. Yes, apparently I am weird...reading spider threads alone at night AND doing to in reverse!

But the first thing I thought of was a story my old biology teacher told us when I was in high school in the early '70's. He had worked at a grocery store too and when they were unloading/uncraing the bananas he said he saw the world's biggest spider come crawling out so apparently this can happen sometimes but yech!!! I do know that I am always careful whenever I am digging around to find "just right" bananas at Sam's Club! They come wrapped in plastic bags but sitting in the wooden cases.

And Jenn...once again I have to tell you that I demo'ed your great LAAT with the offstamped oval line of trees and the big red ribbon again this month for my WS projects. They all love it every single time! I've sold several sets of it just from demo'ing it, they don't even have to use it themselves! You rock! Jan
__________________
My blog! http://inkerzaway.blogspot.com/
inkerzaway is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #118
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land
 
crazycatstamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Here, there and everywhere!
Posts: 36,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbyscraper View Post
i live in the suburb of st louis and i lost my dog to a brown recluse bite, i live by st louis airport and my dog got bit while in the back yard by the shed!!! i kill every spider now i dont care!!! they are going to die !!!!
I had a cat that spent 2 days in "kitty ICU" from a black widow bite. Spiders within any wall of my house/garage or gazebo DIE. If they are on the plants where they belong, they get to live, but they go where I GO and they DIE.
__________________
-Lisa
crazycatstamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:03 AM   #119
Pearl-ExPert
 
dpkennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
My dh ate a pizza like this. He had a slice about half gone when he noticed his arm was tickling. Turned out to be little black ants all over the pizza. He didn't want to throw out the pizza so he put it in the fridge, waited until the ants were cold and dumped them off, then finished the pizza. Ewwww....
Oh, now I don't feel so bad!!! That is funny and gross!!!!
__________________

Danielle Kennedy

My Blog
Power Poppy
A Day For Daisies
dpkennedy is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:28 PM   #120
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,491
Default Spider In Target Buckets

Any word yet Granny Hawkins?
__________________
Proud Mother of 2 Active Marines & 1 Marine Veteran!
Proud of my Police Son & Daughter too!
Serving our country to keep us safe and free!
kraftykatekloset is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off