Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette Cameo

I have been reading about the Silhouette Cameo. Is it really as good as people are saying? I have been using the Cricut and have never been able to cut anything small without it messing up. Sooo, I am almost ready to jump to the Silhouette. What is the best price for the Silhouette Cameo? I've have seen $269.00, is there a better price? Do any of the retail stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or ACMoore carry it.
Thanks,
Dinkerdorf
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I don't have a Cameo (yet!), but I have heard good things about it. GinaK has a special now for $259 w/free shipping:

Silhouette Cameo Electronic Cutter

I haven't seen it in any stores, i.e., M's, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I just made the decision to get rid of my Cicut/carts and get a Cameo. I wanted a machine that was not cartridge dependent, could handle smaller intricate cuts, had print and cut feature, and software that was easy to learn and use. I have only had my Cameo since Tuesday and didn't even unpack it until Thursday night, but I love this thing! The first thing I wanted to learn to do was import an image, print and cut it Out with a mat. I was able to do that within about 10 minutes of unpacking the box! If you look in my gallery, there are 3 cards I made this week with the Cameo, 2 using the print and cut, all using free line art or coloring pages.

I would suggest you download the Silhouette Studio software and play around with it to get a feel for how it works. There are dozens of video tutorials on youtube that show you how to do different things with the Cameo, i watched several of those before making my decision. I saw one that showed the same intricate cut in several different sizes to illustrate the cut quality, I think it had doily in the title. As far as price, I found a coupon code for a free upgrade to the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition, which allows you to easily import SVGs, but I did pay shipping of about $13.00. I ordered direct from Silhouette with the code and had my machine in 8 days. When you make e decision to buy one, Google Cameo coupon codes and you will get several different deals, including free shipping and free kits, but I knew I wanted the software upgrade, so when I saw that one, I pulled e trigger and I couldn't be happier!

My Brand Spankin' New Blog InkyPalms
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I love my Cameo! Although there is a learning curve to using it, I think there is more to learning how much you can do in addition to how. Go ahead and start watching tutorials now, you'll be astonished!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Fishymom, have you used your Cameo to cut SU cardstock?

I took a look at your gallery, at those 3 cards you mentioned..they are wonderful! Good job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Yes, the Rainboots and the beach digi were both cut in Whisper White and I cut several tags, borders and mats in SU cardstock with no problem!

My Brand Spankin' New Blog InkyPalms
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for answering my question, Fishymom! I was checking out information about the Cameo and the Gazelle but now that I know the Cameo cuts SU cardstock well, I think a Cameo will land up in my craftroom real soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I bought the Cameo back in April and just now took it out of the box,lol. I have the Cricut e2 and have never used it. It has a major learning curve. I think I am going to sell it and all my cartridges. Plus I have the gypsy.

It is time for it all to go I think.

http://papercutsnink.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Bunnystamper, I hope you'll post to tell us how you like the Cameo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 06:10 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

As soon as I gett a chance to use it I will.

http://papercutsnink.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great, I'm looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by DinkerdorfView Post
I have been reading about the Silhouette Cameo. Is it really as good as people are saying? I have been using the Cricut and have never been able to cut anything small without it messing up. Sooo, I am almost ready to jump to the Silhouette. What is the best price for the Silhouette Cameo? I've have seen $269.00, is there a better price? Do any of the retail stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or ACMoore carry it.
Thanks,
Dinkerdorf
I've had the Cricut Expression for 4-5 years and I just purchased the Cameo several weeks ago. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Cuts are AMAZING compared to the Cricut, I'm cutting things I never would have dared cut with my Cricut just because I knew it would tear and it would be a hassle. As for the price, I looked around and that's a pretty comparable price and is exactly what I paid for mine at our local craft store. You can check out some stuff that I have cut recently on my blog if you like. My Creative Exposure I guarantee you won't be disappointed with this machine!!
Jayni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Cameo. Love it. There's a forum called Silhouette Plus that have lots of tips, cutting files and help for new users. And Gina K has a video for new Cameo users that might be helpful to get you up and going quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I'll just add, (I do have the SilCam), there is a learning curve. Gina K's video is excellent and I believe there will be more to come, as she has partnered with them in some way to provide her customers with more options in her stamp line. The SilCam is sleek and kinda pretty, but you have to have space to attach your laptop to it. I also think the blade and mat will need replacement and I couldn't locate any info on how often, but I'm sure that the Silhouette Blog will say somewhere. Hope you do take the plunge and enjoy it. You will save $$$ as it can replace many dies, i.e., Cherry Lynn, Spellbinders, Sizzix, etc., (sorry owners) if you really work with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for all the input on the Silhouette Cameo. I ordered one and will receive it in a few weeks.
Dinkerdorf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm purging almost all supplies. My paper and ink and my Silhouette are staying!! That says a lot. good luck and don't give up, it isn't hard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Wink My new Cameo

Thanks so much for all the good info, peeps. Ordered my Cameo through Amazon and am awaiting its arrival today -- so excited. If anyone else is thinking about ordering, or awaiting arrival, I would recommend downloading the software and checking out some of the tutorials. I checked YouTube and Pinterest and found quite a bit. Have already made up some Studio files of my own and can't wait to try them out!

And I vowed I would never own an electronic cutting machine. NEVER say never!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I have had my cameo since January and I love, love, love it, I have cricuts and I haven't used them in months. The cameo's cutting is awsome, especially the tiny detail pieces, congratulation on your purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Have any of you had problems with the print & cut feature?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I had only one problem and that was my fault, I had my load paper in media, instead of load mat, and that put my cuts off by a half inch. I did contact sillhouette and they emailed me back within the hour and they knew right away what was wrong. Since then I have't had any problems, It did take me a long time however to learn the software, I watched a lot of youtube.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Guessing this thread will get moved to the Tool & Product Talk, but I have to ask....is the Cameo "all that" when it comes to cutting those beautiful intricate doilies? I love all the different styles of the doily dies that are out now, but don't want to have to spend all that $ on different dies if I could just buy one machine? I have a cricut expression but haven't been impressed with how it cuts them. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

For me the silhouette has been all that for me, I am cutting designs I never thought I would ever be able to cut, and yes very intricate cuts. I like being able to make my own cut files also, gives me a lot of flexability with my scrapbooking and cardmakeing. And like Erica said it will replace a lot of your dies your now using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinscrapnewbieView Post
Guessing this thread will get moved to the Tool & Product Talk, but I have to ask....is the Cameo "all that" when it comes to cutting those beautiful intricate doilies? I love all the different styles of the doily dies that are out now, but don't want to have to spend all that $ on different dies if I could just buy one machine? I have a cricut expression but haven't been impressed with how it cuts them. Thanks!!!!
Yes, the Cameo is all that when cutting intricacy. I have a lot of threads over here about die cutting, lol. I have been doing this a long time. The Silhouette Cameo is made by a company called Graphtec. When you hear about die cutters you hear Graphtec or Roland. Cricut's are Roland cutters.

Graphtec machines were made to cut intricately. They were also made to Print & Cut. Roland cutters were made for heavy duty cutting such as foam, balsa wood, etc... They were also made for mass production.

With the popularity of cutters in the home crafting industry both Graphtec and Roland are updating their cutters to do other things. Like the Cameo now can cut heavier materials but still not foam or wood of course. The Cameo runs around 330GSM where a Roland machine runs at 500GSM and up depending on the cutter model.

Some Roland cutters are now doing intricacy a lot better like the Klik n Kut Zing and BossKut Gazelle. No Roland cutter on the market, at this time, will beat a Graphtec cutter for tiny intricacy. Plus Graphtec and Roland using different mathematical formulations in their cutter to do their specific jobs correctly.

I have both Roland and Graphtec cutters in my home. I use my Silhouette Cameo for all my intricate and tiny work. I work in miniatures a lot. I also use it for Print & Cut. I cut a scallop border one time at 2 1/2 inches by 1/4 inch. It was a wavy scallop. I could see the tiniest details on the scallop at 1/4 inch. .

I use my Roland cutters for heavy duty work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I wanted to add that I am updating my list of top cutters on the market I highly recommend. I am not paid to do this or anything. I like geek stuff. I really like crafting geek stuff. This is just fun thing for me to do.

My top cutters now are

Cameo
BossKut Gazelle
Eclips
Zing

I have some other cutters on that list but they are for industry. I have friends who use industry cutters.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow thanks - I get real excited that I wouldn't have to hand poke all those little pieces out of doilies...even after trying all the tips on these boards for those dies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I appreciate all the information that's been provided, thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharr230View Post
I had only one problem and that was my fault, I had my load paper in media, instead of load mat, and that put my cuts off by a half inch. I did contact sillhouette and they emailed me back within the hour and they knew right away what was wrong. Since then I have't had any problems, It did take me a long time however to learn the software, I watched a lot of youtube.
I've done this too, but after spending half a day trying to figure it out and some tears, I saw what I was doing wrong. Oh me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

You guys are soooo making me want a Silhouette Cameo. Before all the lawsuits, I originally bought my Cricut to use with SCAL and help me save money from having to purchase all those pretty dies out there. I soon discovered that it simply cannot do the intricate work that most of the dies can do. When it dies, it will be replaced with a Silhouette Cameo.

What I'd like to really see is someone test it by making a file similar to an intricate Memory Box die so it could be compared to the actual cut made from the die. I have this Memory Box die (Flowering Christmas Tree) and would happily cut and mail it to someone if they'd make a similar file to cut with the Silhouette so they could be compared side to side:

http://www.memoryboxco.com/img/sku/98195.jpg

I know my Cricut would never ever never cut something this intricate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinscrapnewbieView Post
Wow thanks - I get real excited that I wouldn't have to hand poke all those little pieces out of doilies...even after trying all the tips on these boards for those dies
You will still have to poke. It won't be as bad. All the die cutters on the market those little pieces love to hang on. I think they are a lot easier to take off a electronic cutting mat than an manual cutter mat. I remember reading some Silhouette girls do have tips and tricks how to remove your dies from your mat so you won't have to spend time poking. I think one girl removed her excess paper with a lint remover.

I always remove my cuts from mats by removing the excess paper first and then the cut.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
You guys are soooo making me want a Silhouette Cameo. Before all the lawsuits, I originally bought my Cricut to use with SCAL and help me save money from having to purchase all those pretty dies out there. I soon discovered that it simply cannot do the intricate work that most of the dies can do. When it dies, it will be replaced with a Silhouette Cameo.

What I'd like to really see is someone test it by making a file similar to an intricate Memory Box die so it could be compared to the actual cut made from the die. I have this Memory Box die (Flowering Christmas Tree) and would happily cut and mail it to someone if they'd make a similar file to cut with the Silhouette so they could be compared side to side:

http://www.memoryboxco.com/img/sku/98195.jpg

I know my Cricut would never ever never cut something this intricate.
I would take it on but I am so heat sick right now. I am not joking. Went out to run errands last night and came home sick. If I designed a swirl flower tree it would look bad.

The Silhouette definitely can handle a file like that easily.

I am including links so everyone can see some of the intricate files made by the Graphtec machines. Most of our UK girls will know these files. These files are very popular across the pond.

Treasured Templates - Craft ROBO GSD, PDF & Studio Templates.

This UK artist is one of the most talented Graphtec designers in the world. Her files are over the top intricate

Forever-Memories-For -You

Forever-Memories-For -You: Victorian baby Carriage Look at this beautiful Victorian Baby Carriage.

I am the world's worst photographer but I dug out one of my Silhouette pic's from my old photo account. I really need to update, lol.

Christmas 2009 :: JWCard.jpg picture by lylacfey - Photobucket I know it's hard to see but trust me this card was beautiful when I finished it. I cut out all the snowflakes running down her face on the Silhouette SD. There are a few around the picture itself too but I also used punches. The snowflakes around her face are 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch. My Mom has that card hanging up in her home so I see it all the time and that's I how remember the sizes.

Reply With Quote Likes