Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearance items at Michaels

I was at Michaels yesterday and bought some things on there clearance racks. Be careful when buying from them. Watch when things ring up. I tried to buy a box set of different beads for my son,they were normally priced $7.99 and the clearance price was $7.99. Now to me that makes no sense. They said that was because they were not selling them anymore when they are gone so they are on clearance.....but for the same price.....and they said they have to charge what there price gun or register says. Well needless to say we did not get them. Then I was getting some Prime flowers I found for 99 cents for 6 on a card. They rang up for 1 cent. I thought what a deal!!! Oh but wait we can't sell them to you for that....so one girl said that they had to change it to 50 cents. Still a good deal so I went back and got the rest. Went on another line and this girl called the manager when it rang up for the 1 cent and he said that that was because they will not be selling them anymore and he can let me have them for 25 cents. Better deal....but then I asked why they can't sell them for a penney when that is what the register says? There answer to that was that is just the register telling them that they are not selling the item anymore. Now don't you think that that is what should have happened with the beads then? :rolleyes:So just be careful when buying from them!!!!

Gail

www.gailscraftcorner.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #2  
lbl
Glitter Queen

Default Joann Fabrics treats customers better

I would have been unhappy with that type of customer service. I was at Joann's yesterday in the clearance aisle and found some great bargains - bags of neat buttons for $.25 and $.50, a Cuttlebug dinosaur die set for $.97 and Gelly Roll pens for $.10. The buttons and pens were ringing up at higher prices but the cashier patiently went through and manually changed the price on every pen and I bought 40 pens! My sister was in line behind me and the cashier had to do the same for her pens. There were some pens in the clearance aisle with a $.25 price tag but the basket up front said $.10 so she gave us all the pens for $.10 each. At the end, she apologized for how long it took and thanked me for being so patient. I call that good customer service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooboostamperView Post
I was at Michaels yesterday and bought some things on there clearance racks. Be careful when buying from them. Watch when things ring up. I tried to buy a box set of different beads for my son,they were normally priced $7.99 and the clearance price was $7.99. Now to me that makes no sense. They said that was because they were not selling them anymore when they are gone so they are on clearance.....but for the same price.....and they said they have to charge what there price gun or register says. Well needless to say we did not get them. Then I was getting some Prime flowers I found for 99 cents for 6 on a card. They rang up for 1 cent. I thought what a deal!!! Oh but wait we can't sell them to you for that....so one girl said that they had to change it to 50 cents. Still a good deal so I went back and got the rest. Went on another line and this girl called the manager when it rang up for the 1 cent and he said that that was because they will not be selling them anymore and he can let me have them for 25 cents. Better deal....but then I asked why they can't sell them for a penney when that is what the register says? There answer to that was that is just the register telling them that they are not selling the item anymore. Now don't you think that that is what should have happened with the beads then? :rolleyes:So just be careful when buying from them!!!!

Gail

It doesn't actually ring up a penney-but that is what everyone in retail calls it. "It's been pennied out" It is a computer code of point oh one .01. Most computerized inventory stores use it, I believe. I worked with a lady once who was new and got fired for selling socks for " a penny", security said she should have known merchandise wasn't a penny even if it wasn't covered in her training class-I think they need another code, don't you. By the way, this code has been used for at least a dozen years. Now, I like the bargain we got at T one time-we bought some party favors for 3c { $.03} each-lol You got some great buys at J's- whoo hoo

{there are no mistakes in rubber stamping; only embellishment opportunities}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Trish ~ I never knew that! Thanks for the info!

My best deal? Went to Walmart to get a cheap pair of snow boots for our (then) almost 2 year old daughter. Just something for her to play around in at day care. Found the ONLY pair of size 5/6 girl boots in the store. I think the rest of the boots were marked around $10 or something like that... didn't realize that this pair didn't have a tag. It was SUPER busy (right before Christmas) so the cashier asked if we knew how much they were and we really had no idea... we just needed a pair of boots! LOL!!! She rang them up for $1. Mia was able to wear those boots for 2 seasons! We REALLY got our money's worth from those! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

That happened to me at Michaels just yesterday when I bought some beads that were on clearance. The sticker on one package said regular price $2.99 and it was on clearance for $1.99. It rang up at $2.99! I pointed out to the cashier that the sticker said $1.99 and he gave it to me. Unfortunately, I missed the next one. The sticker on it read - Regular $1.99 Now $0.99. It rang up for the $1.99 and I missed it. In fact, I didn't notice it until I got home, and by then I just didn't feel like bothering with it. I should, I know. I buck is a buck, but...I just need to learn to keep a better eye on things, I guess. It is aggravating, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

It is fraudulent to charge more when the price is something else. Michaels can get into some serious trouble. I haven't been very happy with Michaels lately. Their policies are not always interpreted the same (as with all things, everyone reads it differently). I hate that they changed the coupons so you can't get magazines or books with them. And I bought a OTT light bulb for my lamp, and got the wrong one, so I went back (with the receipt) and wanted to exhange it for the right one. It was the same price, but I had a discount because I used the coupon. They would not do a DIRECT exchange. They said that I would have to pay the difference in the price of the bulb because the bulb I bought (using the coupon) was last week, and this was a new week. (I actually bought the first bulb on Saturday, and then went back Sunday after church the next day. Needless to say, I was very unhappy with that.

I haven't been shopping with Michaels after that. I wrote to corporate, and haven't heard anything back from them at all. So I feel that if their customer service is this bad, then they don't need my sales.

At Joanns, they are much better, and they have honored the Michael's coupons, and they accept coupons on their books and magazines....

just venting, but food for thought..why would you shop at a store or online store if their customer service is bad, or if they're not charging you what the item is marked at?
www.stmprdee.com
visit my blog -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by deekwltView Post
It is fraudulent to charge more when the price is something else. Michaels can get into some serious trouble. I haven't been very happy with Michaels lately. Their policies are not always interpreted the same (as with all things, everyone reads it differently). I hate that they changed the coupons so you can't get magazines or books with them. And I bought a OTT light bulb for my lamp, and got the wrong one, so I went back (with the receipt) and wanted to exhange it for the right one. It was the same price, but I had a discount because I used the coupon. They would not do a DIRECT exchange. They said that I would have to pay the difference in the price of the bulb because the bulb I bought (using the coupon) was last week, and this was a new week. (I actually bought the first bulb on Saturday, and then went back Sunday after church the next day. Needless to say, I was very unhappy with that.
This is weird. Very recently at my Michael's I was returning something and getting something else. I brought another coupon (because I'd had your experience before). The checker said I didn't need it and could use the coupon on my receipt since I was returning the item... wow! Policy change or nice checker? Who knows!

All my life I've been very detail oriented about what I'm being charged. Usually at least once a week or 25% of the time I have to go to customer service to get a refund for being overcharged for something. Just last week I was buying several items at Walgreens. The total seemed high, so I asked the checker if she accidentally rang up one of my pens twice. She didn't even check the receipt, just said "no, I did it right" (the manager was standing right there). Well, the transaction went through and when I got my receipt, yep, she had rang up the pens twice. Good thing the manager was there and could do a refund for me, it still took an extra 5 minutes though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmenvView Post
That happened to me at Michaels just yesterday when I bought some beads that were on clearance. The sticker on one package said regular price $2.99 and it was on clearance for $1.99. It rang up at $2.99! I pointed out to the cashier that the sticker said $1.99 and he gave it to me. Unfortunately, I missed the next one. The sticker on it read - Regular $1.99 Now $0.99. It rang up for the $1.99 and I missed it. In fact, I didn't notice it until I got home, and by then I just didn't feel like bothering with it. I should, I know. I buck is a buck, but...I just need to learn to keep a better eye on things, I guess. It is aggravating, though!
This happened to me also! It was 50 cents difference and not worth the trip back. At other times, my Mike's is pretty good about exchanges, and it does take my Joanne's coupons - so I guess it is the luck of the day?

My little blog: http://lynda-marquez.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

that same thing happened to my mom and I at Michaels...the item was priced $3.99, it rang up for a penny...they said they couldn't sell it to us for a penny but they would sell it to us for $1.00....we wanted the item at $3.99, so what a great deal for us to get it for $1.00...but they made us feel like we were arguing with them about it and we weren't even going to argue about it....weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Great deal on all that you got. If you remember that cashiers name, I would go to the JoAnn's website and send them an email explaining what a great job she did. I wish that the cashiers at our JoAnn's were more friendly, they aren't rude.. just not very friendly.. the cashiers at Hobby Lobby are rude!.. Michael's are awesome as are the ones at ACMoore and I like to let their companies know when someone goes out of their way to extend some great customer these days.

I think I'll have to check out JoAnn's tomorrow and see if I can find some of those pens.. my kids love the Gelly pens.

thanks for the headsup.

Pam

Quote:

Originally Posted by lblView Post
I would have been unhappy with that type of customer service. I was at Joann's yesterday in the clearance aisle and found some great bargains - bags of neat buttons for $.25 and $.50, a Cuttlebug dinosaur die set for $.97 and Gelly Roll pens for $.10. The buttons and pens were ringing up at higher prices but the cashier patiently went through and manually changed the price on every pen and I bought 40 pens! My sister was in line behind me and the cashier had to do the same for her pens. There were some pens in the clearance aisle with a $.25 price tag but the basket up front said $.10 so she gave us all the pens for $.10 each. At the end, she apologized for how long it took and thanked me for being so patient. I call that good customer service.

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooboostamperView Post

Gail

I have had that happen before- the original price is the same as the clearance price. I said something and was told that if there is only one left in the store then they put a clearance section with a clearance tag on it, but the same price as original.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michaels drives me crazy. You never know when you go in for a product exactly how things are going to turn out - sometimes they turn out well, other times it's a nightmare and you swear you're never going back. Unfortunately, they're one of the few stores in my area that carry the types of supplies I use regularly.

I went in and got a Making Memories magnetic date stamp set. It was regularly about $20, clearanced priced $5. I had my eye on it for awhile at regular price but had never gotten it, but decided to get it for the $5. At checkout, it range up for the one cent price. Then the girl at the register said that it wouldn't show up on my receipt because when an item rings up at one cent, that they were giving it away - so I got it for free.

At the same store back around Christmas time, the ad said that ALL scrapbooking pads and paper packs were on sale for 40% or 50% off (can't remember which). I had a couple of textured Christmas solid cardstock packs but they rang up full regular price. When I pointed out the ad saying that ALL were supposed to be on sale, I was told that the particular ones I wanted weren't in the same area as all the others, therefore they weren't on sale. A few days before, I had been looking for those packs and was told by another associate that the only reason they weren't in with the other pads was because my local store is small and they just didn't have the room to have them with all the others. They would not give me the packs for the sale price at all, therefore I didn't get them and didn't shop with them for quite awhile after that. I only started shopping there again because the one fine arts store by me went out of business and Michaels is the only one that carries some of the watercolor paint tubes and such.

If I was independantly wealthy and could afford the shipping costs all the time, I wouldn't step foot in half my local stores because of their inconsistant policies and/or rude salespeople.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I got a penny item last week from Micheal's. The cashier didn't notice it, due to the fact I had 2 other items and a coupon. I was so excited I went to the back of the store to get more of the same item for .01 and they were gone. So, I guess I lucked out! I was happy with the $2.99 price in the first place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I got a paper pack from All My Memories for a cent! Regular price way to much! I couldn't believe it. I am giving it away at my monthly crop for bringing a guest next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Oh interesting! So happy it's not just my Mike's :-D I actually dont' like to go to ours because they never have the cashiers to match the customers and the line will be 20 people long all the time ... you have to go with plenty of extra time and patience, lol. But they do have wonderful sales & clearance items -- I was lucky to scoop up a K & Co scrapbook album, still NIP in plastic case, for $2.97 and all the coordinating paper packs, flowers, etc all for under $1.00 each. You do have to watch the prices because sometimes people throw stuff in whatever aisle bin instead of putting it back and you can't assume it is ALL 90% off, etc. I almost ALWAYS tell them to check the price first to save the trouble of taking it back off, etc.

I had the same .01 price come up and the girl just rang in through. It was with about 70 other items I bought that day and I didn't have a clue that wasn't the price - nothing was marked and only one stamp rang up for that price. She even commented "Oh lucky you - this one is only a penny!"

Thing is with Mikes - it varies from day to day to manager to manager. ONe will say this and the same day another manager will say that. It is always night or day with them and nothing is ever really clear - I think they go with the flow sometimes!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Alta Loma, CA ~~ With the *Girls* ~~~~~~~ Rubi, BeckyZ and Bia

A couple of days ago my girlfriend bought some scrapbook kits at M's and they were marked $2.99 and they rang up at .01. She was buying several other items so she didn't notice until later.

Last night same friend and 1 other went to a different Michaels and the other friend was buying some rhinestones that were marked 49 cents. They rang up at .01 and they wouldn't sell them to her even at 49 cents. I just don't get their logic.

Oh, and I almost forgot when I was paying for my items the coupon part of my receipt got jammed and destroyed in the register, cashiers said "oh sorry". Now wait a second, that was my 40% coupon!!! Print me a new one!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Michael's prices vary by store also. Couple weeks ago I used a 45% off coupon (was for all art markers/pencils) on some Derwent watercolor pencils. They were $1.79 regular price and so got for $.99 each with a gift card I had. Went to another Michaels and the regular price was $1.59 each so I could have gotten them for $.88 each -- which is $.11 x 29 pencils $3.19 difference plus tax.

When I was at the first Michael's I had noticed the Prismacolor pencils were $1.99 each and at the second Michaels they were $1.49 each. Glad I didn't buy any Prismacolor pencils. How frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiejjacksonView Post
A couple of days ago my girlfriend bought some scrapbook kits at M's and they were marked $2.99 and they rang up at .01. She was buying several other items so she didn't notice until later.

Last night same friend and 1 other went to a different Michaels and the other friend was buying some rhinestones that were marked 49 cents. They rang up at .01 and they wouldn't sell them to her even at 49 cents. I just don't get their logic.

Oh, and I almost forgot when I was paying for my items the coupon part of my receipt got jammed and destroyed in the register, cashiers said "oh sorry". Now wait a second, that was my 40% coupon!!! Print me a new one!! LOL
One of my friends found a MS punch in the clearance basket and was thrilled. She had been wanting it. When she took it up to the register it rang up at .01 and they wouldn't sell it to her either. Said it had to go back to the company. What's up with that? I think maybe the employee just wanted it.:rolleyes: She didn't expect to get it for the penney,but was more mad that they wouldn't sell it to her at all.

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I had the same experience at Michaels with "clearance" prices being the original prices. I missed a 90% off Easter package of Martha Stewart glitter by 1 day, and it went from $1.79 back up to $17.99. The pack I bought on Saturday was the lower price, but when I went back to pick one up for a friend on Sunday, it went from "holiday clearance" to "regular clearance."

I think it's a very misleading way to run a "clearance."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I had a great experience today I bought a cutter Bee paper crafting system for $15 it was regular $54. No coupon They had their clearance stuff on for 50% off. I can't wait to use this thing I can't cut staight or score worth a darn. I have been trying to create boxes for ever and they never work....I am just excited for the great deal. Then I had a 50% coupon to use on a new clear stamp set. I got 2 sets of clear stamps for $11. I feel like I rip them off.. Naaa they get too much of my money it was about time I kept a little LOL..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
Michaels drives me crazy. You never know when you go in for a product exactly how things are going to turn out - sometimes they turn out well, other times it's a nightmare and you swear you're never going back.

If I was independantly wealthy and could afford the shipping costs all the time, I wouldn't step foot in half my local stores because of their inconsistant policies and/or rude salespeople.
I absolutely agree with your statements about Michaels.

As far as rude salespeople, you would think with the economy that some of these salespeople would not be in their positions--that the stores would be increasing their ratio of nicer, more customer friendly sales staff but it just amazes me how many sales staff or cashiers have the personality of a mousetrap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I have an idea!!!! Why doesn't someone copy and send this thread to Michael's headquarters? Who knows, maybe they will read it? Or maybe we should all print it out and walk it in to the local Miichael's and give it to the manager!

I for one swear I have a Nazi old lady as the cashier in my local Michael's. I don't want to go through her at all anymore. Every time I have a coupon she looks at me like I stole money from her!

And those clearance prices, to me some of them are a joke! I looked a K&Co stamp set a few months ago that was on clearance, and would you believe the clearance price was what the regular price was????

But what really got me upset was last week. I bought one of the EK Success punches two weeks ago and it was a lemon. Well, I didn't save my receipt, nor my original pkg. as I didn't expect to have problems with it, so when I took the punch back for an even exchange, they wouldn't do it. So I went back the next day, bought another one and put the lemon one in the pkg. and returned it with my receipt telling them it's not working.

Crazy, if you ask me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #23  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Eva- that just drives me nuts! THEY want us there to spend our money- hence the coupon sent via email or newspaper- then you get there and have to deal with-Unfortunately- the most *miserable* employees on God's green earth.

So disappointing that they hate their jobs the way they do- I rarely shop there- only for the occasional item that is critical and can NOT be found elsewhere- (luckily, isn't often!) and then I go in with ZERO expectations. :(

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I know AJ....you are totally right about that! I try not to go to Michael's either, and only for essentials, and only because the inconsistency and rudeness of some of their employee's. It's the only store that I don't know what I will end up paying for my item...hehehe...totally weird in my book.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 06:14 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

"And those clearance prices, to me some of them are a joke! I looked a K&Co stamp set a few months ago that was on clearance, and would you believe the clearance price was what the regular price was?????"

That is what happened to me the other day with the beads. They said that they are not selling them anymore and that is why they are marked clearance with the regular price. To me when something is on clearance it is marked down in price....be it alittle or alot!!!

Gail

Last edited by Booboostamper; 09-07-2009 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: Quote from above post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the deal though...they have us over a barrel here in Dallas since all the independent store have closed. They closed, not because they were not making money, but, because it took up so much of their time to run it. We are now stuck with the big boxes from now on I am afraid. They have us by the crop-a-dile--kwim???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Sad stuff!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

I really don't like Michael's clearance section at all most of the things are not really clearance and half the things have not been reduced and been sitting there for over 7 months now without any additional reduction. It is amazing that items they don't put over in there clearance section and reduce have better prices and get reduced more and more as the weeks go by why is that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I actually WORK at Michaels and I must say it is VERY frustrating about the different policies we are given.
As for the 1 cent thing....we are NOT allowed to sell things for a penny (like someone already explained) we could be fired for this!!
I have honestly sold things for a penny because I didn't catch it when it was ringing up.....I do not watch every single item as it rings up. But, it is annoying that so many of you have been told different things when you get a penny item.....my manager tells me to charge the price that is on the sticker. If you guys got anything for a penny or less than the sticker price, you got a deal. Just don't expect it all the time.

All Michaels stores should do the same thing. Same thing with coupons...all stores should enforce the same policies. And all cashiers (who work in the same store) should enforce the same policies....I KNOW that doesn't happen. And that totally irritates me because it confuses customers!! I think corporate TELLS us what to do, but it is up to all the individual managers to tell US what to do and also to enforce these things....and they don't.

OH! How about this....all those things that ring up a penny. Guess what we do with them. I will make you cringe!! DUMPSTER! We DO NOT send them back to a manufacture. Just last week there was a HUGE penny markdown and we had to pull anything that came up a penny and toss it! Our store got rid of a TON of stuff...it was disturbing to see all this stuff pitched. I do not understand why corporate didn't have a 2-3 day clearance sale and mark things an additional 50% off all clearance items. Why would they rather toss out things than mark them down???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nillysilly_ol'bearView Post
with all of these stories, doesn't it make you wonder how the company stays in business?

I asked the manager where a certain product line had been moved to since they had set up a new display. She explained to me that the line had been 'clearanced out', but was still in back in the stock room. I asked if it would be coming out to join all of the other clearance items (they have a special aisle, plus stuff all over the store) and she said, "no, it's just on clearance and won't be coming out again for sale." I'm still trying to figure that one out. I worked in retail for many years, managed a store myself, and have never in my life figured out why you would put an entire line of merchandise (that just premiered at CHF in July, by the way!!!) in the stock room and expect to make any $ off of it. :confused:

oh well. go figure! ;)
This could be because at Christmas time we pack up all our clearance stuff to make room for holiday stuff.....well, atleast my store does. It usually comes back out in January.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by aurakView Post
I really don't like Michael's clearance section at all most of the things are not really clearance and half the things have not been reduced and been sitting there for over 7 months now without any additional reduction. It is amazing that items they don't put over in there clearance section and reduce have better prices and get reduced more and more as the weeks go by why is that?
YES!YES!YES!!!!!! Someone in the busines world explain this to little ole' me!!! That seems so very logical to do.....WHY oh WHY don't they do this??????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh.. that's a terrible policy to throw out perfectly good stuff like that. They should consider offering it to schools, senior/retirement homes or children's hospitals before tossing them. I know a lot of teachers would appreciate it, especially since many use their own money to buy craft supplies for the classroom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

I work at Mike's as well and it is tuff to keep up with the constant rule changes!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Under all circumstances, it definitely 'pays' to be an 'informed' shopper.
;) This applies in soooooo many circumstances.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2009, 04:35 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

"OH! How about this....all those things that ring up a penny. Guess what we do with them. I will make you cringe!! DUMPSTER! We DO NOT send them back to a manufacture. Just last week there was a HUGE penny markdown and we had to pull anything that came up a penny and toss it! Our store got rid of a TON of stuff...it was disturbing to see all this stuff pitched. I do not understand why corporate didn't have a 2-3 day clearance sale and mark things an additional 50% off all clearance items. Why would they rather toss out things than mark them down???"

The above is from another post....#31. Tried to figure out how to do a partial quote thing....didn't quite work this time.....LOL

I can't believe that they just dumpter the items. My friend was told that they send it back to the company. You would think that they would donate the items. There are plenty of places to do that.

When they have a HUGE penney markdown,is that after the items have atleast been on the clearance aisle for sometime? I would hope atleast that. I don't get up to Michaels that often at times to check the clearance section,so I would hope the items would be there for alittle while.

Thanks for the info. and the inside scoop of explanations to what they do....good or bad:twisted:!!!

Gail

Last edited by Booboostamper; 09-13-2009 at 04:38 AM.. Reason: To section off quote fron other post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

I was told the same thing by an employee of M's in our area. If something doesn't sell or an item didn't get marked down repeatedly as it should have, then when it reaches the penny mark it all goes to the dumpster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

What an incredible waste! I don't understand why they just don't progressively mark it down 10% each week and then, when it is down to its last 10%, donate it to a school or nursing home or something like that. At our Michael's, there is SOOOO much stuff in the clearance buckets, it's almost impossible to look through.

They use the round, wooden baskets to hold stuff. It would be so much easier to see and buy stuff if it was actually organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 05:21 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

We need to have a friend that works at Michaels to find out when they are putting the stuff in the dumpters and go dumpster diving....LOL!!! Still can't believe they do that. I know they do it as a write off,but I would think if they donate the stuff they could still write it off.

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 06:33 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Unhappy at Michaels

I switched to the Cricut machine a few months back. My family supports my hobby so for everything I have been getting Cricut Cartridges. Well, one in particular I did not think I would care for and wanted to return and get a different one. Well, unfortunately I decided this after I was already starting to open the package. When I say starting that was it! I made a 2 inch scissor cut at the top of the plastic. There is no way I could have gotten the cartridge out. Anyway, because of this they would not exchange, even with a reciept I am stuck with it because of that. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirterView Post
OH! How about this....all those things that ring up a penny. Guess what we do with them. I will make you cringe!! DUMPSTER! We DO NOT send them back to a manufacture. Just last week there was a HUGE penny markdown and we had to pull anything that came up a penny and toss it! Our store got rid of a TON of stuff...it was disturbing to see all this stuff pitched. I do not understand why corporate didn't have a 2-3 day clearance sale and mark things an additional 50% off all clearance items. Why would they rather toss out things than mark them down???
Many years ago, I managed a retail store. Not only did we have to throw perfectly good product away sometimes, but we had to ensure each item was no longer capable of being used for its intended purpose. Greeting cards had to be torn or wet, stuffed animals had to be dismembered (!), glass had to be broken, etc.

The reason our HQ gave for not donating that stuff was sometimes manufacturers gave credit for unsold items and wanted to make sure we couldn't get money back, then turn around and take an additional write-off for charitable donation.
Reply With Quote Likes