Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default OK- I joined the SU family

And I'm really scared. I keep thinking that I'm not going to be able to make that minimum quota. I'm totally stressing out about this, to the point of being sick! I'm such a dork, I know.

Gosh, I hope I can do this.
j
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.

Hey! Even if you can't you still get a great deal on all the goodies in the starter kit! However, I'm sure you will do great!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Yes, it is a fantastic deal, even if you never order as a demo. But, you should be sure to take advantage of that first 30% workshop order! And, you never know, things may just fall into place and you'll end up with plenty of customers -- all it takes is one super excited person to introduce all her friends and you are good to go!

My gallery
My blog!

Old 08-18-2006, 05:49 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Those sales add up faster than you think. Try not to worry about it, just think positive. Calm down and just start making a list of everyone that you know that you can contact once you get your kit. There are so many ways that you can make your quota; have workshops, have classes in your home, collect catalog orders, etc. Talk to your upline. She should be a good source of encouragement and help you get started. Have you signed up for the Demo side of Splitcoast. You will find a lot of information, ideas, templates, and encouragement from fellow demonstrators. You will feel a lot more positive once you start checking out the threads there. We will be looking for you.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Hey there. You are in the right place for motivation. JwJazz has great advice. Just make a list of everyone you know and entice them to have a party. Don't ask them as a favor, but instead present is as what you can do for them. They can earn free stamp sets and free merchandise. What's better than that?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

You can! I, too, thought, "What am I doing? How can I possibly sell $300 every 3 months?!" Well, fast forward 6 months and I have never had to meet my minimums myself. Far from it.

It's true, the orders do add up faster than you think. All you need is one workshop in any given quarter and you can almost always meet the minimum.

You got good advice above - list every person you know. If you haven't spoken to them recently, list them anyways. This is a good reason to give them a call. List bankers you see regularly when you do business there, or cashiers at the grocery store you always make small talk with, or the receptionist at your dentist's and doctor's offices. List even the tiniest acquaintance. I invited a neighbor who had just moved in to a workshop I had and she came. Turns out she's a school teacher and had been looking for an alternative to stickers on her students' papers!

Read motivational books. Zig Ziglar is GREAT for this. He can really get me fired up.

Write down your goals for Stampin' Up! This will help you see what exactly you want out of this. This will help you focus your energies on the tasks that will help you reach your goals.

Go to your upline's group meetings, if she has any. If not, read SU!'s website for training and tips. I spent hours doing this and it gave me so much confidence.

Above all, don't let your fearsparalyze you into doing nothing. Then your fears will come true. Take action, come on here for encouragement, read and reread your goals. You can do this!

Nicole
Old 08-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I signed up as a demo in Jan. And it adds up fast. All the fun cards and scrapbook pages you can do. It is so worth it. I have been having fun since I signed up. I am just a hobbies anything to save money on a habbit.
Good Luck and not worry it will be fun.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:11 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Just do what you love, then talk about it and show it and before you know it, you'll have met and even exceeded that quota!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am sure you will be fine.
I know it can be freightening in the beginning. You will get a lot of useful information here from other demos. Be sure to visit the demo threads for some great help and ideas. Just take a deep breath and jump in....
Best of luck.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:15 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Just wanted to say....welcome!
Don't worry....it all will be okay. Even in worst case scenario, you still got a lot of SU! stuff at a great deal.
You're gonna be fine

Have a wonderful stamp happy day!

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

“What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike
Old 08-18-2006, 06:33 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Congratulations and welcome! I became a demo in March 2003 - I figured if I couldn't make the minimum, no problem, I would just drop after I had a bunch of cool stuff at at discount! I'm still here! AND I still have a very long wish list!!! The "average" workshop sales is about $300 (I have had plenty that did not reach that mark, but many that have exceeded it). So, set your goals. If your goal is to remain active, I would try for at least one workshop/event each month. If you do not have anything scheduled one month you can either host your own workshop or breathe easy knowing you have the other two months of the quarter to meet your minimum! Another tip: Yes, you can buy some similar crafting items cheaper at JoAnn's or Micheals or Walmart.... Or you can save time, gas, wear & tear on your car, etc. And buy from yourself - you do get a discount and you are helping to meet your minimums which allow you to keep enjoying all the other great things about being a demonstrator!!! Good Luck! If you haven't already done so, be sure to sign up for the SU Demo Forums - they are a great resource!
Old 08-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #12  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Correct me if I'm wrong (always a possibility!), but when I signed up in mid-quarter, I had till the end of the first FULL QUARTER to make the minimum. Which means you have to make $300 between October 1 and Dec 31.

I had planned to not even worry about my first "partial" quarter, but I made my $300 in the first month. (with a huge honkin $500 first order at that extra discount! Although, I do admit that I offered some nice incentives to friends and family to order from me on that first order!)

I'm sure you'll do just fine. Just don't stress over it!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

If you signed up in August you do not have to meet your minumum until the end of Dec!!!!!! You have lots of time to get there, and then in Jan and Feb comes Sell-A-Bration! I think you will suprise yourself! Good Luck!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

No worries. Just remember to save your instant income and use it to place your own orders when you need to sell a bit more to make your minimum. Been a demo for one year and I have never had to make my own minimums and love spending the instant income on my own stamping stuff.
BArbara
Old 08-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for all the great advice. I just signed up (Wednesday) and am so ready to get everything. I love all Su has to offer and joined to enjoy discount and I have some friends who needed someone to order from regularly, so I am taking them on the adventure with me. I have sold other things before but this will be great because I already buy everything from someone else and now I will buy from me. Thanks again for the advice and other newbies will do fine too.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:49 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Best piece of advice is to believe in yourself! If you love stamping and you share your enthusiasm for it with others, you will have no problem meeting your sales goals. Just remember to talk about stamping with everyone, even the people who seem like they wouldn't be interested (you never know -- they may either surprise you or know someone who would be interested), carry samples with you everywhere (I usually ahve a couple of cards and an altoid tin scrapbook which I've filled with pictures of my bunny, my niece and my nephew, and since those topics ususally come up in my conversations, it's perfectly natural for me to whip out the scrapbook tin, natuarally leading to a discussion of stamping) and don't be afraid to ask people if they would like to host a workhop or attend a class (if you plan to offer classes).

Good Luck! You'll do great!
Old 08-19-2006, 04:28 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Congratulations!

It is going to be fun!!
Don't worry about the sales right now. It will come. Enjoy stalking Mr. Brown for your starter kit!! Think of all the new stamping friends you'll make!

Welcome!! We demos are a nice crowd

my blog
Old 08-19-2006, 06:26 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Cutiepatutie, what you are feeling is pretty normal. That's probably the biggest fear people have when they are starting out. You have gotten a lot of great advice hear. I usually suggest to start out with an open house. Invite everyone you know and encourage them to bring friends. This can be a kickoff party for everyone to come see what you are doing! Make it sound inviting and fun!!!

Try not to stress too much about making your minimums. Try to keep it about the fun and the rest should follow.

Good luck and come see us on the demo side!

Kathleen
Old 08-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome to the family!!!
Old 08-19-2006, 05:57 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi! Thanks for all the great support! I really appreciate all the encouragement.

I am still a little panicked about the quota, I just can't help it. I'm a big worrier.

I love stamping. I love talking about stamping. I love showing people how to stamp. I HATE trying to get people to buy stuff from me. Sometimes I feel like I'm being a BIG PITA because I do talk about my hobby alot. I think another worry of mine is that this place is just inundated with SU demos.

I will figure something out. It's not like I don't buy this stuff already, right?? I may just have to carry myself for a while.

Thanks again for all your encouraging words, I just love this community!
j
Old 08-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I read through the post quickly so i'm sorry if this was allready said. Lots of demos have thier own workshop first and invite everyone they can think of. Friends, workmates, neighbors, ect. This will get the word out. Plus this way you can earn the hostes bens. and then you will have some to demo.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I hate to hijack here.. but I have a question. When you sign up, how long do you have after getting your starter kit to place your first order with the 30% discount?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpea111403
I hate to hijack here.. but I have a question. When you sign up, how long do you have after getting your starter kit to place your first order with the 30% discount?
In the US it is 45 days after it is shipped.

my blog
Old 08-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you..