Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #121
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=ladbs]

For those of us that are demos, its good to remember that this is another business expense that you may be able to deduct. (I'm not a tax advisor, but at my house, we deduct things such as this. Consult your own CPA.)

QUOTE]

Excellent point!!!

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=8975
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #122
A LOST 4400

You know I'll pay!! (said in my best Kip voice!)

I have paid more for magazine subscriptions and "special issues" that are full of advertising and not always stuff that appeals to me. The time that you give and hard work that you all do to inspire us is worth so much more.

This may be sound snotty and bu-lieve me I do not have a $$ tree behind my oil well, but we ALL make choices on how we spend our money and our time. I clean houses on the side and that helps to feed the addiction. I don't really like sweat dripping into my ears and wiping up other folks toilets. Stamping is not a cheap hobby! I have put a lot of money into my collection over the years and do not even touch some of what I have. Once I started seeing what the talented folks on here were doing I pulled out some of my old stuff and made it useful again. I think many of the people who visit this site think the DDD gals get their stuff for free to stamp for us. BIG FAT WRONG!!! While I envy their stashes I know they have had to shell out the $$ for their stuff to post for us to CASE. You cannot tell me that ideas received on here have not generated sales for those who have used ideas for their workshops.
As for the complaints about the gallery being so slow--that kinda bugs me for Daven and Tracy and the guys who help them. Don't you think that slow drives them crazy too??? Imagine inviting strangers to your house and they complain about your coffee being too weak, "what do you mean you only serve mayo?" and stuff like that? For all we have been given and for me, the friendships I have made and hope to continue to make, $25.00 is a small amount.

Dang, chocolate DOES have caffine!!!
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #123
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Do what you need to do....You couldn't run me off with a big stick!

It will be awhile before my renewal comes up but I may just give someone a gift of a membership.

I do not upload and use the gallery near as much as I need to but paying to do it is just not a biggie to me and I am just as or more strapped for extra cash as the next person.

What would that be? A few less Cokes a week? Would help my diet very much.

Sounding better every minute.

Last edited by Granny Hawkins; 09-22-2005 at 02:50 PM..
Old 09-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #124
Kookie Creator

FINALLY!!!! My subscription is about to expire and I have already received my renewal notice, but I was not going to renew because of the excruciating
s l o w gallery speed.

How can you NOT support this site. If you have come here / anywhere on this site more than 10 times, you should feel ashamed if you do not support it.

Stephanie
Old 09-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #125
Embossing Fanatic

just and idea here it may have been thrown out already but...maybe if $25 is too much for people to pay up front there could be some sort of payment plan like like paying $5 5 times a year or something like that. Just an idea though...i've only be apart of this website for a few weeks, but i would be willing to pay.

And so the Addiction Begins!!!! ;)
Old 09-22-2005, 02:45 PM   #126
The Digi-Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie G
I do not have a $$ tree behind my oil well
YOU LIE!!!!!!!

You just are a toilet-lickin-fool for FUN! I've seeeeen that $$ tree!

Old 09-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #127
Insane Embellisher

I think this is a good idea. I have been thinking about joining the fan club and just never got around to it. This site is a great undertaking for all who maintain it and YES I do think it is worth every penny. I just signed up for the club and support all that you guys do. I do think that it should be a permanent change rather than temporary. It does cost alot to run a site like this.

Keep up the good work, we do appreciate all that you do

Just not enough time in the day to do
everything that I love to do :)
Old 09-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #128
Gallery Gazer

I barely buy a stamping magazine or book anymore...why? Because of this site!! It's wonderful, the ideas are always new and up to date, and I appreciate being "allowed" in even as a TAC demo. Hopefully that part continues! ;o)

STAMP ON!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #129
Die Cut Diva

I figured this would happen eventually, and I don't blame you a bit. It does get slow in the gallery - especially at peak times. I am happy to support SCS and will gladly pay for another membership when my current one expires.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #130
Mad Swapper

Daven, Tracy, Moderators and DD girls:

We often thank you for this wonderful site, but we now need to buck up and put our money where our mouths are. This is YOUR website and YOUR decision. I will not give you advise on how to better manage the site, nor will I tell you how to manage any funds you receive. You are doing a fabulous job here! You should feel very good about this.

I will continue to refer people here that are serious about their stamping and Stampin Up! I really don't see any of this as such a problem. As is usually the case, change is difficult and often people don't see the end result as a good thing. This change will be great and benefit even those that can't be members of the gallery.

Is there a place where I can see when I need to renew my dues? I am a member, but don't know when the renewal comes up. I will be happy to do it again and again and again. After all, I can write it off as a business expense!!! You are doing a great continuing education service for us all.

Keep up the good work!!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/wynona
Old 09-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #131
Pearl-ExPert

I say go for it! I've always been amazed at the wealth of information on this site .. for free! I pay more than $20 to subscribe to other lists and actually $20 is a steal for SCS! I know how much work it takes for those who run this site. I'm thrilled to be a part of SCS! You have my support!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:48 PM   #132
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

It is your site, you decide what to do! I don't understand the mentality of those who feel entitled to get it for free - or those who think you will make 'too much' money if 40,000 people pay up?? IF it is free, someone has to pay for all the stuff that makes this site work. IF 40,000 stampers pay - then Kudo's to Daven and Tracey - isn't America about pursuing your dream?

Go for it guys - you deserve it!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #133
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up woo hoo!!!

I recently renewed my subscription (yes, I got a reminder via email) and I rarely go on the gallery...too slow for me (I NEED instant gratification!).

I've been a member of this site for a looooong time (relatively speaking) and there have been a lot of changes...99% for the better too which is AWESOME! That said, while many 'non paying members' have huge galleries, I have never uploaded anything...yet...but trying to view things, particularly during VSN, is getting really difficult, and I do have DSL. I'd love to actually participate in VSN but I don't have time to waste uploading/viewing when I could be stamping. Luckily I live on the W coast so I can 'view' late at night...but agree that as a paying member (what % of the members do pay???) I really shouldn't 'have' to.

I'm glad you've made this difficult decision and look forward to more great things in the future.

Thanks for the head's up!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #134
Stazon Splitcoast

I just joined! Cant wait to see what goodies I have been missing.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:51 PM   #135
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakimberly
That's pretty ballsy wording!

Second class citizen?

Do you feel like a second class citizen if you go to a gym you don't belong to and they don't let you work out on their equipment?

Do you feel like a second class citizen if you take your kids to a day care that you don't pay to use and they don't let you leave your kids there?

Anyone can become a member, you just gotta pay up! There's no second class about it! If they said you have to be hot, over 5'6" and have green eyes, that would be exclusive. Asking for money is not exclusive!
Thank you MamaK, I was trying to decide how/should I respond to that comment, and scrolling down thinking about, and you did for me!

Old 09-22-2005, 02:51 PM   #136
Rubber Obsessor

I have been getting my ideas here for more then a year. I joined the Fan Club because I felt like the site was giving me so much that I felt I needed to support it. I will continue to support it and I think a fee for a faster site is well worth it.
THANKS,
Jane
Old 09-22-2005, 02:51 PM   #137
Quacker Stamper

Thumbs up I'm a member

I still have a few months left on my membership and fully intend to sign up for a renewal. This is the best site on the web. There may be others that don't charge, but they do not have all that SCS has - great ideas, fun, friends, awesome tutorials, fabulous DD Gallery, terrific galleries of members for us to peruse and use at our leisure. Keep up the good work. It's worth every single 2,495 pennies.
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Old 09-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #138
Stampin' Fool

Default Gallery for paid members only?

I am very thankful for this site, and have spent many hours browsing. Will I be notified when it is time to renew my membership? I don't remember when I joined the fan club. Thank you for everything you do, and to everyone on this site for the great sharing of ideas and talent, and companionship. Eileen
Old 09-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #139
ink, paper, & icing crafter

Alrighty, here's my $.02. I am not yet a fan club member. I do think this site is well worth paying for! We are a family of five, on one income. No, $25 a year isn't that much, definitely not near what this awesome site is worth! However, I do know that we don't always have an extra $20 lying around to start up a membership, and often when we do, it quickly goes somewhere else. I definitely want to be a fan club member, especially now!! But here's one of my concerns. I'm sure I'm one of many, many, many SCSrs who will suddenly want to start a membership. Like it's been said earlier in this thread, won't that totally defeat the purpose of this tempory solution? I mean, everyone will pay their fee now, and try to view the gallery, expecting these fast viewing expectations. Isn't it going to end up quite bogged down all over again? But my biggest concern is, as mentioned earlier also, only fan club members being able to upload? What about the challenges...VSN...? I've just started joining the challenges this week, and I am loving it. But now non-club members won't be able to join in and submit their wonderful creations?!
Now, as a fellow SCSr, I completely support you on this decision. You guys have built this awesome site, and I have benefitted in so many ways. I will not stop coming! And I hope I can join the fan club this month. I know you guys do everything you can for this site, and you will not let us down this time either!!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #140
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Dudes!! The gallery will not be closed to non-Fan Club members forever! It seems to me that this is the only way to slow down the gallery traffic so that the software issues can be solved. Then it will be opened again.

It makes sense to me. Of course, I am also one of those who joined the Fan Club ASAP, and have renewed my membership. The price is $25 now, and I sure get a lot for my $25 dollars!

It has always been my way of saying Thank You for the tremendous amounts of work that is put in to this site. I think we need to not stress out or make them feel bad about having to restrict access in order to fix the problem. If it's going to make it easier for them to fix it, then I say to go for it!

Thank you to Tracey, Daven, and everyone else who is spending their time to keep this site running! It's time to get out the big bucket hat and chill!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:55 PM   #141
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up

I'm okay with it. Running this site does take time and money. What ever you decide, I will support. As a few peolple have said, it's just a small portion of what we spend each year on stamping supplies.

Since March 1, 2010:
Scrapbook Pages: 8
Cards:18
Old 09-22-2005, 02:55 PM   #142
Watercolor Wizard

I know the site is very valuable and has a high upkeep cost. I think not allowing non-members to upload is not the best idea though, b/c the galleries will lose talent. Plus if new members dont really see all the galleries, they won't be tempted to join for access.

I am one of the few that never have lag times. I have high speed internet so this is not a problem for me. Just like with on line games now, dial up just doesn't cut it, and so really this seems like a technology problem for the users that I don't think will be fixed. If you have dial up, it's naturally going to take a very long time and you just have to expect that. Once we all join and become members (and I think most will to maintain access), it seems like dial up folks are still going to have lag times, that's just the nature of the technology.

I agree with someone earlier that said maybe the fee could be less or tiered and that maybe it could be for 6 months instead of a year. I think more will take to that option than what was proposed.

B~
Old 09-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #143
Gallery Gazer

As an officiall lurky-loo I will say that it is a bargain with the amount it is to join the fan club and while I don't want to be lynched, I am willing to ante up more money in order to make sure that I have access to the gallery. But that's just me.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #144
Glitter Guru

I agree that there should be a charge for the wonderful instructions, ideas and quality advice given. I have learned more in the year I have been a member than all my 7 years of stamping. I look forward to seeing all the cards uploaded each day and love to receive comments on the cards I send in. $20 or $25 is a bargain for all that you do for us. It is because you have given us such a great site that the problems have increased. Hang in there--you are making a needed decision and shouldn't feel guilty about it!!!

Friendship is the golden thread that binds our hearts and souls together.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #145
Matboard Maniac

I can't believe some people are having a hard time with this! $25.00 is nothing, compared to some of the magazines. Stamp it mag. is $5.99 each issue, along with Rubber Stamper. Paper Engineering Secrets is $12.99.
These are nice magazines don't get me wrong, but common...If you want to not visit this site because of the lack of cash, and you are willing to air your negative remarks of this simple request, fine go and try to find a site that has as much as this one does. I have renewed again for a second year and will do it again the the next years to come. I have become a much better stamper because of this site, with the resourse page and all of the help from other SCS'ers, I could not expect any less!!!

I have to say I am on SCS at least once or twice a day. I have not always gone to the gallery because of the slowness. So I say do what ever you have to do...
Old 09-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #146
Inking Addict

Thumbs up paid gallery

I have paid and would gladly pay again for the gallery. I appreciate that we have so many options for lookups, and that we can even keep folders of our favorites. I can't even imagine how much work this is for the site.
This is by far the best idea site on the web, and thanks for all of your hard work to keep it that way!
Deb
Old 09-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #147
Matboard Maniac

Default Just paid...

Hello. I am probably one of those people who bungs up the website by visiting it about 10 times per day! I have been contemplating joining the Fan Club for some time, and I am proud to say that I just signed up.

As with most other people - I wish that it would stay free, but considering all of the money that I spend on stamping, $29.88 CDN is a small drop in the bucket.

Thanks to all who keep this site fixed up and working (for the most part)!

Carmen
Old 09-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #148
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! I go to pu my dd from school and look what happens!!! LOL

I am cool with your decision - I have been a fan club member from the beginning and planned on renewing every year anyway....as long as the membership fee does not exceed my available funds then I am good!!

I feel it is a small price to pay for the wealth of ideas I receive every time I go to the gallery..... I am not a demo so it does not affect my sales!!! LOL but I have gained a wealth of stamping knowledge that I could some day turn into profit if I so decide to!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Old 09-22-2005, 02:58 PM   #149
ink, paper, & icing crafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker
I think you just solved it! With 75 people viewing this thread, the gallery is really fast right now! LOL

I've been a subscriber since before the DD/Fan club days. How do we know when it's time to re-subscribe?
Too funny! And so true
Old 09-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #150
Inking Addict

On the other hand, I don't know that saying it is a "temporary" change is the best idea either. A lot of people will pay to improve the site, but a lot will lay low for a while until it's "fixed" and then come back. How is this fair for the paying people?

Of course, I don't really know what the solution to that would be either.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #151
Glitter Guru

I already pay for the Fan club and love it... I don't think its unreasonable to ask people to pay $20 a year to do something they love to do. My husband hosts and does website stuff so I know where you are coming from because i pay the bills for our Hosting sites - domain names etc....
Old 09-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #152
mothermcbride

I think it's a great idea.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #153
Inking Addict

Oh yeah, and I am not a fan club member yet.

Hint hint.

Just kidding.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #154
Matboard Maniac

Krista, they sent me an e-mail letting me know that the renewel time was here, so they will let you know.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #155
Watercolor Wizard

Default around $2 a month?

I would say it's not a bad deal at all.

Would it help to limit the gallery to members that actually participate and post? Alot of people probably come here to access the gallery but don't participate as members of the site.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If youve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me :)
Old 09-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #156
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Quote:

Second class citizen?

Do you feel like a second class citizen if you go to a gym you don't belong to and they don't let you work out on their equipment?

Do you feel like a second class citizen if you take your kids to a day care that you don't pay to use and they don't let you leave your kids there?

Anyone can become a member, you just gotta pay up! There's no second class about it! If they said you have to be hot, over 5'6" and have green eyes, that would be exclusive. Asking for money is not exclusive!

AMEN MAMA K!! --

Ok, so I can't even finish reading the responses to this thread, I'm becoming so irritated! Seriously people! You really think this should be free?! You pay for internet access, you pay for your stamps, you pay for cable tv . . . . Daven and Tracy and all the mods and DD girls, etc. don't OWE us a thing -- they do this because they love it and wanted a nice place for people to come and talk about stamping.

And this from little ole' me who never responds harshly to anything I read in the forums on here!

My gallery
My blog!

Old 09-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #157
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Second class citizen?

AMEN! Mama K just said it all! I thought that the "second class citizen" was a ridiculous statement, too!

After spending maybe 2 weeks on this website, I was hooked and gladly paid for a fan club membership. No issue of Paper Crafts or any other magazine can give me what I get from this site. I don't even get as much enjoyment out of my SU! Stampin' Success! I have made new friends, learned techniques I would never have heard of, and gotten incredible inspiration and ideas from so many talented people! The fee is a drop in the bucket when you consider what we already spend on supplies and such. I'm happy to ante-up and will continue to do so, as long as I have to! THANK YOU to everyone who makes this site what it is!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Old 09-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #158
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok all I have to say is...this site has cost me WAYYYYY More than the twenty bucks for the fan club.!!!! LOL ( rubi coil, gamsol and stumps, more notebooks and tiles than I like to count...and the list goes on)

It is a steal at 25.00!!! Shoot!!! I am thrilled to think I will actually be able to afford the TIME to browse and LEAVE COMMENTS in the gallery again... WOOOHOOO!!!! Way to go Daven!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #159
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Sewell
I totally agree with this 100% and then some . . .
Just using Amanda as an example of how this site has grown..........

She registered Feb 2004, is member # 2565......................I registered in October of that same year and am #16950, now it's up over 45,000 (according to the members page). That's EXPANSION that most websites would LOVE to have, and you just gotta pay for that.

Last edited by 11Valerie11; 09-22-2005 at 03:08 PM..
Old 09-22-2005, 03:05 PM   #160
Hardware Hotshot

I think that all this negativity and whining is RIDICULOUS!!!!!

No one OWES anyone on this site ANYTHING!

This is REALLY simple. YOU USE IT, YOU PAY FOR IT. We've been LUCKY to have had this for FREE as long as we have.

I was debating whether or not to even stay a demo (had to only fulfill minimums for a year - REALLY rough time) when I came across this site. It has LITERALLY lit my fire for SU again!

I am on here A LOT and have actually very recently begun to wonder how it's possible that they are able to do this with such limited funding. There's a bunch of us that subscribe to the Fan Club, but not THAT many! How on earth have the Nolta's been making it?

To think that we can all just free-ride on their sacrifice is pretty ungrateful. It's like they've invited us over for breakfast, lunch, and dinner EVERY day, asking for donations IF POSSIBLE, and now they're finally crying "Uncle" and asking that we contribute a TEENY portion of the cost to help them out.

I KNOW that there are those out there who TRULY can't afford this (Trust me on this one, my DH has been out of work 3 times in the last 2 1/2 yrs - I know all about a tight budget!). But for the HUGE majority of us, this is a drop in the bucket!!!

Like others have suggested, drink a few less coffees a week; cancel 1 subscription to a mag; go out to eat 1 TIME less this month; and you've got a WHOLE year of SCS paid for. Come on gals, seriously.

Daven & Tracy--Do What You Need to do!!!

We're all big girls here. If there are those who are so "offended" that they are asked to contribute to something that greatly benefits them, so be it. You will NEVER please all the people all the time!!!

You've got the vast majority on your side. Good luck with all the decisions in front of you.
Closed Thread