Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:09 AM   #1481
Pearl-ExPert

Arrow please don't leave!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlvanover
I totally understand why it had to be done, but I'm not in a position to be able to pay. I don't subscribe to mags and don't get to buy anything new. I liked coming in and seeing the new ideas from everybody. I wish I could join, but I really can't afford it. I'll miss this site, I've become addicted. I hope to be able to afford to join in the future.
Hi there! Please don't leave! No one is losing access to the Gallery. The Gallery side needs to undergo an under-construction time period of (at least) 1 month to tweak the software, etc. The only 2 major noticeable changes during construction season are:
  • restricted view of the Gallery - non-Fan Clubbers will have access to the Members Gallery and the Techniques Gallery. You *will* be able to search within those 2 galleries for a set or theme or technique.
  • only Fan Club members will be able to upload photos *during construction time*
After "construction season" = Back to normal *with* a better Gallery for the heavy traffic. (That's the plan. )

It's NOT about the money; it's about the current Gallery software not being able to handle the amount of traffic and needing to upgrade it for a short period of time. Here's a quote from Daven (read the full post on the first page...post #1).

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampers
Is this change permanent?
The gallery will be free and open to all again, once our software and servers are able to handle the traffic load. The Fan Club galleries will always remain part of the benefit for paying members.

AND...

Here is *1* easy step to find sets during construction time, starting in the Gallery Homepage.
  1. Type the set name (or a keyword, theme, technique, etc.!) in the Search box, which is found up at the top, right, like so:
  2. Click go
  3. Enjoy the search results!

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:25 AM   #1482
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by avonlea
Hi there! Please don't leave! No one is losing access to the Gallery. The Gallery side needs to undergo an under-construction time period of (at least) 1 month to tweak the software, etc. The only 2 major noticeable changes during construction season are:
  • restricted view of the Gallery - non-Fan Clubbers will have access to the Members Gallery and the Techniques Gallery. You *will* be able to search within those 2 galleries for a set or theme or technique.
  • only Fan Club members will be able to upload photos *during construction time*
After "construction season" = Back to normal *with* a better Gallery for the heavy traffic. (That's the plan. )

It's NOT about the money; it's about the current Gallery software not being able to handle the amount of traffic and needing to upgrade it for a short period of time. Here's a quote from Daven (read the full post on the first page...post #1).

AND...

Here is *1* easy step to find sets during construction time, starting in the Gallery Homepage.
  1. Type the set name (or a keyword, theme, technique, etc.!) in the Search box, which is found up at the top, right, like so:
  2. Click go
  3. Enjoy the search results!
Thanks for this pointer!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:00 AM   #1483
Cardstock Collector

Default Hmmmm ... where does it end?

Well, this is how I feel. As a SAHM, two kids, a mortgage, two cars that never work and hubby's income (my Stampin' Up! is not THAT steady to really be considered income) I think it sucks. I know you have to do what you have to do but already the membership has gone up. So now I have no access to the galleries because I am not a member. So it was free, then you had a fan club, then you could only see some cool things if you were a fan club, now the membership goes up.... so where does it stop? I cannot afford another penny, not a cent. I was so happy when I could come here and access it all for free. I know it sounds selfish. I did not have a problem at all with the site, it was not always LIGHTNING speed but not enough to frustrate me into not visiting. We have the new Verizon FiOs and it is VERY fast and efficient. How can I afford the $34.95 for that, well, I have no choice for that. I also homeschool my son and the internet access is VERY important to have for this purpose. So I have things I have to pay for that ... then this.... then that. He is unable to attend public school due to AD/HD and sensory integration issues so I am not homeschooling because I really wanted to, it came that I really HAD to because his needs were not being met. So I have copays for meds and therapy and blah blah blah. See where I am going with this? I understand that you guys are awesome ... but things are TOUGH right now and I need a break. It was nice and refreshing to know that I could come here and get a break and just enjoy looking at all the awesome stuff. I was hoping I could get a free lunch. I would be able to afford to join only if someone gave me a membership as a gift, if not, then I will not be able to come here to access the info. I cannot squeeze another penny out of my budget. Not even as cheap as it is. And if I did get a membership as a gift, when does it go up ... and up ... and up ... then only the well-off can afford it.
Anyway, don't get all fired up on me. No flaming please. We are all entitled to our opinion and there is mine.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:06 AM   #1484
Mad Swapper

Smile

Hello,

I know that you guys had a hard decision to make but can totally understand the decision too.

I love this site and think that paying to see all the great work on it and get a bunch of great ideas is fine.

I just signed up for a year.

Thanks for all the great work that you guys do in keeping this site up and running and bringing out some challenges
Old 10-03-2005, 07:07 AM   #1485
Queen Shouldareadahead

Location: back in a gated community...the twins are mobile!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampinupmamma
Well, this is how I feel. As a SAHM, two kids, a mortgage, two cars that never work and hubby's income (my Stampin' Up! is not THAT steady to really be considered income) I think it sucks. I know you have to do what you have to do but already the membership has gone up. So now I have no access to the galleries because I am not a member. So it was free, then you had a fan club, then you could only see some cool things if you were a fan club, now the membership goes up.... so where does it stop? I cannot afford another penny, not a cent. I was so happy when I could come here and access it all for free. I know it sounds selfish. I did not have a problem at all with the site, it was not always LIGHTNING speed but not enough to frustrate me into not visiting. We have the new Verizon FiOs and it is VERY fast and efficient. How can I afford the $34.95 for that, well, I have no choice for that. I also homeschool my son and the internet access is VERY important to have for this purpose. So I have things I have to pay for that ... then this.... then that. He is unable to attend public school due to AD/HD and sensory integration issues so I am not homeschooling because I really wanted to, it came that I really HAD to because his needs were not being met. So I have copays for meds and therapy and blah blah blah. See where I am going with this? I understand that you guys are awesome ... but things are TOUGH right now and I need a break. It was nice and refreshing to know that I could come here and get a break and just enjoy looking at all the awesome stuff. I was hoping I could get a free lunch. I would be able to afford to join only if someone gave me a membership as a gift, if not, then I will not be able to come here to access the info. I cannot squeeze another penny out of my budget. Not even as cheap as it is. And if I did get a membership as a gift, when does it go up ... and up ... and up ... then only the well-off can afford it.
Anyway, don't get all fired up on me. No flaming please. We are all entitled to our opinion and there is mine.
No flames...just wanted to say that this is temporary, so come Nov 1st, it'll all be free again...and it should be faster!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:09 AM   #1486
Rubber Obsessor

My 2 cents revisited

Thanks for the help, but what I REALLY enjoyed was seeing what was posted each day and I could alter to use the stamps I had. It was a fast way to see the *NEW* stuff. I'm really bummed not to be able to do that. This is the most AWESOME site! Good Luck, and we'll see what happens in a month. Is there some kind of detox center for this?:~) Marci
Old 10-03-2005, 07:20 AM   #1487
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thanks for the help, but what I REALLY enjoyed was seeing what was posted each day and I could alter to use the stamps I had. It was a fast way to see the *NEW* stuff. I'm really bummed not to be able to do that. This is the most AWESOME site! Good Luck, and we'll see what happens in a month. Is there some kind of detox center for this?:~) Marci
Ah yes...now I know what you mean. I feel your pain...I'm in the same boat.
*hugs*

Here's a lil' help; martini (card), anyone?

Keep smiling and being patient; it'll be worth it.

In the meantime, here is one thread for you to peruse.
A gazillion links to template sites!

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:40 AM   #1488
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

..... Is there some kind of detox center for this?:~) Marci
LOL, Marci, the only therapy I know of is to STAMP, STAMP, STAMP! Fortunately this is a TEMPORARY situation. When the upgrades are done, this will all be back to normal.

I gotta say I HAVE read each and every post on this thread. Not that I'm a masochist, I just really want to see what EVERYBODY has to say about this. I stopped posting many, many pages ago, though, because it really seemed like spitting in the wind. Too many people are not taking the time to look into what's really going on.

OK, maybe people haven't read the first post. But, c'mon, it's been referred to, quoted and explained SO many times by SO many people throughout all 38 pages here, that pretty much anybody should have noticed. THIS IS NOT A PERMANENT CHANGE. This is a way to reduce viewer traffic in the gallery area so the tech folks can upgrade the site.

One thing I keep seeing is talk of "paid membership." ICK!! When I sent some money in to support the site, it was NOT with the feeling that other people should do the same. It was something I felt like doing. Fan Club wasn't in existence yet, I just knew that the expense of this huge website was coming out of SOMEBODY'S pocket. "Passing the hat" to help with those expenses seemed like a nice idea. But I do NOT see any difference between folks who kick in and those who don't. It's a non-issue. I gotta say, though, that when I read some of the posts that have gotten over-the-top mean and rude, the phrase "biting the hand that feeds you" springs to mind.

A couple of pages ago I saw a post that used the analogy of visiting a bookstore and browsing for free. Very good...except for ONE THING: Barnes and Noble is a huge congolmerate with HUGE pockets. Splitcoast stampers is run by a husband/wife team, out of their small home, without any corporate sponsorship. This little endeavor of theirs exploded practically overnight to a HUGE membership. Accomodating that does not come cheap.

Somebody else mentioned they could post their pictures to a free site for people to come view their pictures (such as Web Shots). You're right....up to the point when your gallery gets many more hits a day then they are willing to alot you.... then you'll be asked to pay or leave.

So, why bother to post about this again? It's still probably like spittin' in the wind, lol.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:46 AM   #1489
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

No flames from me either. Just wanted to clarify your comment that I put in red above. You DO still have gallery access - you just have to take a "detour" to get to what you want. The set alpha listing is not available, but you can still access everything through member galleries, technique galleries, and gallery searches while the upgrades are being done...just temporary. HTH.

Can someone please clarify for me...do non-Fan Club members have access to "Today's Additions" from the Home Page? I've heard it both ways, yes and no. I want to be sure I'm giving people the correct info. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #1490
Stazon Splitcoast

No flames here either, but do you understand that you still have access? YOu just have to do it as a search.

Do you understand that it's temporary? Hopefully Daven will be done with the upgrades by next month.

Do you understand that it's because Daven feels there's a need to work on the gallery?

Don't you think it's okay for him to take it a little offline for a while so that he can streamline it for us, or is that not okay with you?

Edited to say: This last sentence wasn't meant to sounds sarcastic. I just think there's some disconnect or misunderstanding and I'm trying to figure out if that's true.

Quote:

Last edited by Consuelo; 10-03-2005 at 08:04 AM..
Old 10-03-2005, 07:54 AM   #1491
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami
Can someone please clarify for me...do non-Fan Club members have access to "Today's Additions" from the Home Page? I've heard it both ways, yes and no. I want to be sure I'm giving people the correct info. Thanks.
Nope. That feature is currently disabled for non-Fan Club members. If I remember right, it's a pretty big drain on resources - that is why it does not refresh instantly like it used to. I'm sure come end-of-construction-period we can talk Scott into shortening the refresh rate a bit. I hope anyway!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:00 AM   #1492
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcer
Nope. That feature is currently disabled for non-Fan Club members. If I remember right, it's a pretty big drain on resources - that is why it does not refresh instantly like it used to. I'm sure come end-of-construction-period we can talk Scott into shortening the refresh rate a bit. I hope anyway!
Thanks Jenn. That's originally what I figured, but then I read someone saying it was still available so I got confused. I need my "Today's Addition" fix for sure - glad I'm already a Fan-Clubber. I'd pay $24.95 just for that one feature alone!

Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #1493
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Fee for Upgrades to this web site

Ladies:

You have to ask yourself this question "where else can you go and view the awesome sample and ideas that Splitcoast has to offer"? Before I knew about this site I was at a "Loss". It might sound like $25 dollars is a lot, but for a 1 year subscription is really a very affordable fee. You can compare it to those magazine subscriptions where you only get 5 issues for $24.95 and it will really make sense to change your view on being supportive to this website.

On Splitocast we'll continue to have access every day to new ideas, with a magazine issue you read it a few times and you're done with it! We might just have to sacrifice $5 a week on something we love like "coffee's or miscellaneous thing" but in the long run it is "Truly worth it".

Splitcoastampers rocks!!!

A Fan Club Member ')
Old 10-03-2005, 08:48 AM   #1494
Cardstock Collector

Default Not Shocked

I can totally see why you have had this dilemma. I just recently found SCS and have enjoyed looking but it was slow. I have not been a paying customer but if I were and the service was affected by non paying ones I would feel particularly frustrated. I will definitely consider joining the Fan Club, but you know if people don't want to support the service there other sites out there - not as broad but freely accessible. Sooooo, I appreciate you all trying to work something out to keep it free.
Thanks for all you time and effort.
SherrillCL
Old 10-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #1495
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consuelo
No flames here either, but do you understand that you still have access? YOu just have to do it as a search.

Do you understand that it's temporary? Hopefully Daven will be done with the upgrades by next month.

Do you understand that it's because Daven feels there's a need to work on the gallery?

Don't you think it's okay for him to take it a little offline for a while so that he can streamline it for us, or is that not okay with you?

Edited to say: This last sentence wasn't meant to sounds sarcastic. I just think there's some disconnect or misunderstanding and I'm trying to figure out if that's true.
VERY well said, Con-Sway-Lo! I "sense" your frustration......I too feel it...you have to ask if people are actually reading what Daven said, or just getting "all het up" making assumptions!

I just don't understand how everyone has jumped to conclusions and turned this issue into a "have/have not" one......I challenge everyone who thinks they're "losing access" or "can't afford this site" to re-read the original post.

It's temporary.

The Fan Club was a thank you for helping support the site. If you can't afford the fan club you are missing a teeny slice of the "whole pie" so to speak. Circumstances are just that ... circumstances. Some can afford, some can't. It's not a "click", and it's not a "must have to maintain membership".

Don't feel bad if you can't afford to join the fan club. Just hang tight, wait a month....and then see what happens. I think you'll all be amazed that you stressed for nothing........and perhaps then, if things change or you have an opportunity or windfall sometime down the road.....you can show your appreciation by supporting this site and show Daven your thankfulness that he's trying to maintain it as FREE FOR ALL OF US, even if he's had to pay it out of his own pocket. Sorry, but I don't know a lot of "strangers" that would work so hard to keep it that way.

I can only speak for me......but I love it here and will support this site as long as I have the ability to do so. SCS ROCKS!!!!!!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown

Last edited by qcbetty; 10-03-2005 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: cuz i'm a dork and didn't proofread this post! D'oh!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #1496
Watercolor Wizard

Wink

Quote:

Ok I am having the shakes as well. If you find a detox program with at least 12 steps let me know. LOL I am counting down the days until its back up and running. I think it will be very exciting to not have the wait of pages loading. It only a month, think of it as a long baught of PMS without any MIDOL (aka quick fix/ today's additions) Have to sit on the couch with a hot water bottle (aka detour thru member galleries).

Last edited by stampinchickadee; 10-03-2005 at 09:40 AM..
Old 10-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #1497
Cardstock Collector

Red face

I can't even begin to imagine the hours you guys spend online trying to make it better for all of us!

I think you should charge an annual fee, always. You should be paid for your time and talents! And the wonderful idea of the site.

This web site is the "Best" there is for Stampin' Up! Demonastrators and customers.

Yes, we all have an opinion just like we all have money problems.

If you are a SU! demonstrator you know it takes a little money to make money.

This web site is better than any magazine subscribtion!

I would like to suggest a couple of thoughts to help with a quicker site:
..... Maybe multiple pictures of the same card can be deleted.
..... sometimes I know that there is an error
.... sometimes it's the same card in a different color
... sometimes it's CASED from this site, why another picture?

Can some cards be deleted? Not to hurt feelings, but to make room.
I love looking at all the great ideas,(within each set) but not if they are too similiar.

Again, this web site ROCKS, it is valuable to SU! demos & customers.
But I truly believe you should be paid, lots and lots!
Boy, If I put all the time and effort you guys do, I'd want a lot of MONEY, you are worth it!

Money is tight for me, very tight. But, I will be making cards, from the ideas I've found here, and selling them for $2 a piece!

So come on ladies, be creative!! Make cards to sell!!
Old 10-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #1498
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachel
I

I would like to suggest a couple of thoughts to help with a quicker site:
..... Maybe multiple pictures of the same card can be deleted.
..... sometimes I know that there is an error
.... sometimes it's the same card in a different color
... sometimes it's CASED from this site, why another picture?

Can some cards be deleted? Not to hurt feelings, but to make room.
I love looking at all the great ideas,(within each set) but not if they are too similiar.

Again, this web site ROCKS, it is valuable to SU! demos & customers.
But I truly believe you should be paid, lots and lots!
Boy, If I put all the time and effort you guys do, I'd want a lot of MONEY, you are worth it!
To start deleting people's pictures would hurt feelings, no matter what the reason....and again, it was stated several times that the issue has nothing to do with the amount of storage space the pictures take.....that's never been the issue.

(I too believe it should become a paid site........not to exclude anyone, but simply to generate some income for the team that works so hard on a VOLUNTEER ONLY basis.....it would sure be nice to see some of them [namely Daven & Tracy, the DDD and the mods] get something back for all they do for us!!! If I win a lottery, I'm donating a big chunk to them. But they'd have to name a forum after me! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!)

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 10-03-2005, 10:54 AM   #1499
Cardstock Collector

Default Understanding to Misunderstand

This is what my post was referring to: Taken from the announcement on the main page.

Fan Club no fun
At the same time, we've reached the point where we can no longer accept that our members who've paid through their Fan Club subscriptions to support the site often can't access the gallery, or when they can it's a slow and frustrating experience.

What to do about this? We've been pondering options for some time: do something to restrict traffic? Take the gallery down altogether while we work to make it better? Convert to fee-only access?

I UNDERstand that I still have access. I understand it is temporary. What I was doing, which is what I thought the discussion board was for, was to express my feelings on IF splitcoast had decided that they NEEDED to charge for the site.

Sorry if I misunderstood what the thread was for. And didn't mean to sound selfish at all, I more than anything, understand what it is to be compensated for ones time. I was just expressing that when things start charging for something, even as WONDERFUL AND AWESOME as splitcoast, it seems like as time goes on (some times in a short amount of time) things start going up and up and well ... if you want this then you have to pay this ... etc.

I was just expressing my opinion on that ONE thing.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #1500
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

And if I did get a membership as a gift, when does it go up ... and up ... and up ... then only the well-off can afford it.
Anyway, don't get all fired up on me. No flaming please.
i am absolutely not flaming you.
but i just wanted to point out.. 24.95 is not alot. seriously.

i am on dave ramseys envelope system. we dont have cable or internet.. i dont get to shop at my nice grocery stores anymore.. im shopping at disgusting walmart (sorry to all you wally world lovers) and i am miserable. i dont get ANY magazine subscriptions, etc. but you know what?? when i want to come up with a few bucks.. i dont buy my daily reeses, i drink less cokes and i dont eat out.. and in 3 days, there is the money.

i only quoted you because you said only the well off can afford it. i am far far far from being well off.. and i gladly offer the money even though i dont even use the gallery anymore.. because my hubby does some web design and i know it is not cheap. you have no idea what it costs him to run this site.
anyway, personally, i have chosen NOT to use the gallery because it only makes me want things i truly cannot afford at this time.. so instead, i search only the gallery for sets i already have.. therefore, limiting my exposure to the sets i dont have.
and from what i understand... that hasnt changed.. right?

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Old 10-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #1501
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

I've been a free member for awhile now, even though it's been nice seeing great creation by other members for free, i think it would still be reasonable to pay a minimal fee to see great creations by others.

Sign me up... ANYTIME =)
Thanks for all your hardwork!

2 Angels in my life
Daniel ~ my heaven angel
Toni ~ my earth angel
~~~șoș~~~șoș~~~șoș~~~șoș~~~șoș~~~
Old 10-03-2005, 01:47 PM   #1502
Cardstock Collector

Default Restricted Access to Splitcoaststampers

I just got turned onto this great website a few months ago. I enjoyed going in once a week or so to look at the various ideas. I don't agree with having to restrict the site to members only. I have learned to log on when I think there will be less traffic. I would probably not become a paying member and I believe you would lose a lot of website traffic.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #1503
SCS Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose1
I just got turned onto this great website a few months ago. I enjoyed going in once a week or so to look at the various ideas. I don't agree with having to restrict the site to members only. I have learned to log on when I think there will be less traffic. I would probably not become a paying member and I believe you would lose a lot of website traffic.
Hi-I noticed this was your first post and I am not sure if you have had a chance to read the rest of the thread or not.

Increased traffic on the website, specifically the gallery, is actually what has caused the massive slow down. An analogy used previously was think about a highway-the more cars are on it the slower the traffic moves. Increased traffic has actually CAUSED the delays and rendered the gallery server almost useless-it has been able to plug along only b/c of the hard work of Daven and Tom as well as Jenn and Beate who work hard to keep it organized.

The TEMPORARY switch to fan club members only having TOTAL access including the ability to upload as well as non-fan club members still having access (and how to search has been shown repetaedly in posts before mine) was done in order to make the gallery run more smoothly for everyone.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #1504
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I thought the discussion board was for, was to express my feelings on IF splitcoast had decided that they NEEDED to charge for the site.
Thanks for replying and explaining, because I'm really confused. I am not under the impression that the discussion was meant to be whether or not SCS should be a paid gallery. Perhaps I am wrong. Maybe I missed something because so many of you are talking about the pros/cons of a paid gallery.

I was under the impression that Daven wanted feedback on a TEMPORARY solution.

Am I wrong???
Old 10-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #1505
Inking Addict

Default re: member galleries only

So I paid for the Fan Club this morning so I could look at the gallery this month and I still can't get in to see it. Is anyone else having this problem?

Pros n cons - I didn't want to pay, but I NEED to see these ideas! I have some stamp sets I want to use this Friday and have NO clue what to DO with them.

katie
Old 10-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #1506
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thanks for replying and explaining, because I'm really confused. I am not under the impression that the discussion was meant to be whether or not SCS should be a paid gallery. Perhaps I am wrong. Maybe I missed something because so many of you are talking about the pros/cons of a paid gallery.

I was under the impression that Daven wanted feedback on a TEMPORARY solution.

Am I wrong???
Not wrong...at least as far as I understand it, too! Daven wanted input about whether or not this temporary restriction as a way to reduce traffic TEMPORARILY was a good idea or not. I think fanatical, loving, enthusiastic members started the idea of having a "paid" site, because it's so obviously worth paying for . It wasn't part of the OP though.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #1507
CraZy Cat Lady
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Default I Have a Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampers
On October 1, SCS will begin restricting most gallery access to Fan Club members only.

Will non-paying members lose all access to the gallery?
Non-paying members will still have access to Member Galleries and Technique Spotlight galleries.
[/size]
Does this mean the cards and scrapbook pages I have in the gallery now will be removed?
Old 10-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #1508
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salster
Does this mean the cards and scrapbook pages I have in the gallery now will be removed?

no nothing is being removed, access is being temporarily re routed during construction. When all upgrades are finished all will be as it were only better.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #1509
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Not wrong...at least as far as I understand it, too! Daven wanted input about whether or not this temporary restriction as a way to reduce traffic TEMPORARILY was a good idea or not. I think fanatical, loving, enthusiastic members started the idea of having a "paid" site, because it's so obviously worth paying for . It wasn't part of the OP though.
So then this thread was TOTALLY HIJACKED by people that feel strongly either for or against a paid gallery, which has NOTHING TO DO WITH the OP???

Sometimes I just really gotta break it down to understand.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #1510
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

So then this thread was TOTALLY HIJACKED by people that feel strongly either for or against a paid gallery, which has NOTHING TO DO WITH the OP???

Sometimes I just really gotta break it down to understand.
Not [b]TOTALLY[b] HIJACKED, but partially ... as is obvious by some of the posts, some people chose not to read ALL of Daven's announcement, and/or chose NOT to read the Original post - but just posted. Thus resulting in the longest thread I've ever seen!

A lot of people are answering the end of Daven's announcement:
Quote:

What do you think?
We want your feedback! Is this a terrible move, and you'd like to talk us out of it? Have questions about this, or what the future holds for Splitcoaststampers?
... without reading what came before, or the "How does this affect me part".

Right now, if I were Daven, I'd be locking this thread ... but then, if I were Daven, things would be different 'cos I'm not as nice as he and Tracy are!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:46 PM   #1511
Glitter Queen

I am disappointed that the gallery requires payment to access. I mainly use it when I host a SU party; I print out ideas for my guests when I see what stamp sets they ordered, so they have lots of things to try out and they'll get hooked!

For myself, I use the gallery mainly to decide which hostess set(s) to get. Sometimes I am really lukewarm about the sets, but when I look at what others have done with them, I want them all!

I don't think I will pay right now, but it is probably worth the cost. I was going to recommend the site to others, but now I probably won't because it isn't free.

I do understand the reason for the change and think it is fair; just be careful that the number of new uploads doesn't go way down with fewer contributors having access. That would reduce the value of the site, especially when new sets are released.

Ink-Pattie
Old 10-03-2005, 04:48 PM   #1512
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ink-Pattie
I am disappointed that the gallery requires payment to access. I mainly use it when I host a SU party; I print out ideas for my guests when I see what stamp sets they ordered, so they have lots of things to try out and they'll get hooked!

For myself, I use the gallery mainly to decide which hostess set(s) to get. Sometimes I am really lukewarm about the sets, but when I look at what others have done with them, I want them all!

I don't think I will pay right now, but it is probably worth the cost. I was going to recommend the site to others, but now I probably won't because it isn't free.

I do understand the reason for the change and think it is fair; just be careful that the number of new uploads doesn't go way down with fewer contributors having access. That would reduce the value of the site, especially when new sets are released.

Ink-Pattie
THE GALLERY IS STILL FREE!!!!! People just need to use the "search" feature instead of just clicking on a specific stamp site.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #1513
Matboard Maniac

This thread has been bombarded with people who just don't get it!!!!

Please read the original post before you post.

It is only TEMPORARY....

END OF STORY!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #1514
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ink-Pattie

Ink-Pattie
I'm glad you understand Daven's reasoning ... but I think you may have missed something . I've highlighted the relevant part of your post in red ... that gallery is accessible now - you can see everything that you saw before. The difference ... you have to type in the name of the set you want to see, instead of just clicking a few times on a list.

Plus ... this is TEMPORARY (not shouting, just emphasizing) ... when Daven and friends get the gallery fixed, all will be the same as it was Sept 30 - just faster for everyone!
Old 10-03-2005, 04:53 PM   #1515
Matboard Maniac

Talking

"On October 1, SCS will begin restricting most gallery access to Fan Club members only.

Free access to the Splitcoast galleries will be restored once gallery-related traffic issues are resolved."

STRAIGHT FROM THE ORIGINAL POST, LADIES!!!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #1516
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by falconer5dance
"On October 1, SCS will begin restricting most gallery access to Fan Club members only.

Free access to the Splitcoast galleries will be restored once gallery-related traffic issues are resolved."

STRAIGHT FROM THE ORIGINAL POST, LADIES!!!!!
Very true, but if you read the rest of the post, it says
Quote:

Will non-paying members lose all access to the gallery?
Non-paying members will still have access to Member Galleries and Technique Spotlight galleries.
This means that EVERYONE still has access to over 144,857 photos in the Member galleries and 3,555 in the Technique Spotlight gallery. There is no way that people will be able to go through all 148,142 photos in the next month and still get anything else done in their lives. Let's all be a little patient and deal with the "problem" of having to find a new way to negotiate the galleries for the next month!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #1517
Rubber Obsessor

I come in here periodically (sp?) and read what is going on with this thread. WOW - it is crazy!

I just want to say that I come on here and read the forums and sometimes (not going to try and spell periodically again ) go and check out the samples. This site is awesome and I want to thank everyone responsible for it.

I have not yet paid any money (and do feel guilty). At some point I would like to join the Fan Club. I am just a procrastinator - I have had "stuff" in my cart on Viking.com for weeks and just found out that the bargains are probably gone. I am just not good with handing over the $$.

Anyway - THANK YOU!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #1518
Compulsive Stamper

I really have enjoyed access to the gallery. as well as informative I have found it entertaining and couldn't believe it was free . for my self I would be willing to pay to retain the same access. i don't know what a paid membership is worth at this time. I have found a wonderful connection to many who have the same passion as I do and this site has provided that connection.It ties women from all over the United States and Canada to a common interest. Thanks Ann
Old 10-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #1519
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by falconer5dance
This thread has been bombarded with people who just don't get it!!!!
Please read the original post before you post.
It is only TEMPORARY....
END OF STORY!!!!!!

I just PM'd JENN and told her I wouldn't post again, and my PM to her was more funny than serious -- but since I posted last night, I've come to accept this change and I've "lurked" until reading this post "above"

Yes, it's only TEMPORARY - -but since last night and I've lurked and I've read all 160 plus pages, trust me on that.....I've come to realize this has become no LONGER about viewing artwork, who can and who can't.

It's truly about each side (and please understand I'm talking to both sides here) each side doesn't understand each other. Those of us who financially can't drop $24.95 or even the half price offer truly DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY (and no I'm not looking for a free ride) -I'm asking those who can drop $24.95 like it's a dime for the rest us -I'm asking that you understand what it's like for us who can't afford it.

THEN - on the other hand -those of us who can't afford it, because we need to put food on the table, pay the internet bill or as I did today place another SU ORDER for my upcoming STAMP A STACK -we need to understand that there are people in life that have money to just drop and never look back. They don't need to worry about food on the table, the car payment, and kids school needs.

With that said -neither group should look down on each other. I've lurked now and realized it's not that us poor people DONT GET IT---we might be poor, but we're smart. We're just disappointed. And those who can afford it- need to understand that. WE're TRULY DISAPPOINTED - -that's all it is.

Those who can't afford it - - shouldn't be jealous either of those who can just drop $24.95 and never look back.

This thread has truly gotten down to that.

I'm fine with this - - I've come to terms with it and I'm counting the days til November 1st. So, let's not judge each other on who has money and who doesn't - let's just get back to sharing what we love - - STAMPING!!

And ladies, if you can't pay - it's really true -we can still view the artwork, we just have to work harder at it. Sorta images our lives, when you think about it - we that are lower income have to work harder at most everything -at least my family and I do. And that's not a cut towards people with money---it's the God's honest truth.....we have to work harder for what we want to get.

I tried real hard here NOT TO FLAME either side and I hope to God I don't get flamed for this and Jenn doesn't get mad at me since I PM'd her back and said I was sitting on my flying fingers and so wanted to post, but decided not to.

Please let's all understand both sides and accept it....I accept it now and live goes on....by the "I GET IT TOO" LOL

Judy

Last edited by sharingmyartwork49; 10-03-2005 at 05:26 PM..
Old 10-03-2005, 05:38 PM   #1520
Matboard Maniac

I am not trying to "flame" anybody! I love that term BTW...

I am simply saying that it is temporary, and no one needs to spend any money...according to the original post. Once the bugs are out of the system, everything will be back to the way it was.

I love this site, too. I love the forums. I love stamping. I love the swaps. Therefore...I love the people from the forums, who love to stamp and participate in the swaps!
Closed Thread