Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 02:17 PM   #1121
Embossing Fanatic

Question

I would LOVE to pay for a membership!! I tired and it asked me to select my payment option and there was one choice PAY PAL which I avoid like the plague. Is there any other way for me to pay for a subscription without having to register that way. If anyone knows would you pm me please.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:38 PM   #1122
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by poco777
I would LOVE to pay for a membership!! I tired and it asked me to select my payment option and there was one choice PAY PAL which I avoid like the plague. Is there any other way for me to pay for a subscription without having to register that way. If anyone knows would you pm me please.
You can use the address listed on the Fan Club About page!

Look in the orange title bar and all the way to the right you'll see "about". click on that then, click on Fan Club and it will lead you right to everything you need to know! (in otherwords, right where you were before, I assume, if you tried the Pay Pal? But, just scroll down further and you'll see the snail mail addy!)
Old 09-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #1123
Stazon Splitcoast

Default You can Give a Gift Subscription

If you send an e-mail to [email protected], Daven and Travey will respond. They will want to know who you want to gift a subscription to, whether you want it to be an anonymous donation and if you'd like a message to go along with the SCS e-mail to the recipient. I just did it today. The only difficult part was knowing who to gift. I had hoped there would be a list, but there isn't (and in hindsight, I guess that makes sense, duh on my part!) Anywho, I just finally sat down and read some posts and picked an unsuspecting individual who seemed very pro-SCS, but was finding it difficult at this time to come up with additional funds to support their SCS addiction. So, with that determined, I gifted someone with a year's worth of fun. And I'm feeling pretty good about it.

deb

p.s. you can pay through Paypal ("send money" to [email protected]) and then send Tracy/Daven an e-mail at the same address with the above info - it was so easy. And I suppose they are happy to receive snail mail as well!

Last edited by iiwiireally; 09-26-2005 at 02:51 PM..
Old 09-26-2005, 02:48 PM   #1124
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Just to make sure anybody new to the thread is not missing the FACTS about it all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampers
On October 1, SCS will begin restricting most gallery access to Fan Club members only.

Free access to the Splitcoast galleries will be restored once gallery-related traffic issues are resolved.

For the entire story, see our announcment on the home page or read it here:
gallery announcement

For complete Fan Club information, look here:
Fan Club page

Answers to some questions

How much is a Fan Club subscription?
Fan Club subscriptions increased slightly this year, to $25 for 12 months.

Will non-paying members lose all access to the gallery?
Non-paying members will still have access to Member Galleries and Technique Spotlight galleries.

Is this change permanent?
The gallery will be free and open to all again, once our software and servers are able to handle the traffic load. The Fan Club galleries will always remain part of the benefit for paying members.

Are you making this change for financial reasons?
No. We hate it for financial reasons! We hate the fact that anyone might consider leaving us because they don't wish to pay a fee to access the gallery.

We're making the change for two reasons. First, it's not fair to our paying members that they pay for an inferior experience. Second, our servers and software are unable to handle our current traffic load. The only way the gallery can remain functional is to reduce the load until we can get further improvements in place.

10:30 AM (pacific) Friday, 11/23

Lot's of great feedback, thanks everyone. For all the incredibly kind words too. Wow! Thank you so much.

Please, be extra tolerant with negative reactions to this announcement. I asked for feedback and it's important to hear from those who have reservations about it.

Many of the posts so far relate to the financial impact of this announcement. There's no question that we will gain more paid members, at least in the short term, as a result of restricting access to much of the gallery.

For the long term health of the Splitcoast community, however, I believe that the best course of action is to remain a free site. We'll restrict the gallery for only as long as it takes to address our traffic problems.

I'm getting a slew of e-mail with questions about the Fan Club, and won't be able to respond to most of them in a timely fashion. Your best source of Fan Club information is here:
Fan Club page

More Questions & Answers

What about free trial memberships?
Any trial membership system could easily be skirted by re-joining the site with a new username. We don't want to create a negative incentive for "counterfeit" usernames.

What about a tiered membership system?
I prefer simplicity whenever possible and tiered memberships create complications for you and also for us.

What about partial-year memberships?
We will do partial-year Fan Club memberships, look for this very soon.

What if we trimmed down the number of uploads or restricted uploads in some way?
Uploads and file size are not contributing in a meaningful way to the performance issues that we're experiencing in the gallery. We will probably never need to place limits on the amount of items you upload.

Why do uploads have to be restricted for non-Fan Club members?
Since Member Galleries and Technique Spotlight are the only galleries that non-Fan Club members will see, they also won't be able to upload to other categories. Keeping the gallery organized requires us to keep uploads categorized properly and it would be difficult to do this with uploads from non-Fan Club members.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:16 PM   #1125
Crimping Master

I totally agree with you. I love this site, but it is so frustrating to have to wait, wait, wait!! This is such a wonderful site and I know you spend lots of money getting and keeping it up -- of course all of us using it should expect to pay for the great work that you are doing. Nothing is free!!!! This site costs about the same as 1 set of stamps and the learning experience is invaluable!!! Thanks for the good work!! Don't let the nay sayers get to you -- you are worth the cost!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
evil stamper -- just the name, not the person!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:24 PM   #1126
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so surprised at the number of people who are still refering to the $20.00 cost.

It is $24.95 and worth every penny!

I wore Red Panties, now I wear white!!
Don't mess with Old People!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #1127
Compulsive Stamper

Default How to pay

Hello
could someone tell me how to pay
i heard of pay pal
I don't know how to go about it
when i go in Fan Club at the bottom i see a credit card do i click on that??
at somepoint will it ask for credit card#
I don't mean to bother anybody
just need help

thank you

( I am having trouble getting in the Gallery
and home page does not look like earlier today
i thought they said Oct 1 - Maybe it's my computer
don't know)

Last edited by dragonfly_221_love; 09-26-2005 at 03:33 PM..
Old 09-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #1128
Stazon Splitcoast

I just went to paid subscriptions to check my expiration date and guess what I found. There is a half year subscription for $14.95. That might make it easier for those who can't come up with the $24.95 but would like to try being a Fan Club member.

I wore Red Panties, now I wear white!!
Don't mess with Old People!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #1129
Compulsive Stamper

SORRY it's my computer that was giving me problems
Old 09-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #1130
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Can I give a gift subscription?

Yes! Send an e-mail to [email protected] and we'll get you set up.

Is there an alternative to PayPal?

Sure. Send your donation (along with your Splitcoast username) to:

splitcoaststampers.com
1901 NE 162nd Ave.
Suite D-105 #548
Vancouver, WA 98682
Old 09-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #1131
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakegrandma
I just went to paid subscriptions to check my expiration date and guess what I found. There is a half year subscription for $14.95. That might make it easier for those who can't come up with the $24.95 but would like to try being a Fan Club member.

Way cool, huh?!
Old 09-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #1132
Glitter Guru

Wink

I support your decision. I have been really frustrated in the last few months at how slow the gallery is. It's not because I paid to be a member and want my money's worth, it because of my addiction to stamping and seeing what others create that keeps me coming back sometimes even more than once a day! (And Beate's "on line classes" that are sooo great too). Actually, EVERYTHING on this site is great. The moderators are so friendly and patient. I have cancelled magazine subcriptions because they now don't compare to this incredible site. I love all of you and you have my full support. I know it was a tough decision.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:21 PM   #1133
Glitter Queen

Smile You got it right!

No one expects anything for free in this day and age. I admit to using the site for free for a while but recently joined. I don't read alot of the "other" stuff so I am not sure who is behind this or why they do it but I felt I needed to support the tremendous effort. I have spent $20 on some "needed" supply only never/rarely to use it... the money spent here is worth every cent, and then some.
Thank you very much for your time and dedication!
Old 09-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #1134
Kookie Creator

Smile Starletkris and Fees

Hi Everyone,

Starletkris was just voicing an opinion and it is her opinion. We don't have to agree as a lot of us don't agree with each other. Poor Devan will never ask us another question.

Kris did raise a question about e-bay. As we are downsizing, my DH sells many items on e-bay. They charge a an insertion fee, picture fee, total value fee (at end of sale) and if the customer pays by paypal (paypal charges a fee). This is not free, there are also fees. But again, this was not Devan's original question.

Everyone, have a great evening and laugh a little.......this is not very important in the realm of things!

Lots of hugs to all.

Cathy
Old 09-26-2005, 05:31 PM   #1135
Matboard Maniac

Smile solution

Yes, this would probably sovle your problem. I am not currently a member of your fan clud. But, I would join at $20 a year. I think the "Today's addition" should remain free. I really appreciate all of the great ideas!
Old 09-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #1136
Pearl-ExPert

wow.... 3 days to read 29 pages and the fact I cant stay signed into SCS anymore, especially when I change pages.... ...but i did it !!! lol

I dont have anything much more to add other than my personal THANK YOU and that I was the recipient of a gifted membership that I "paid forward" to another SCS member when I could afford to. It made me feel good to do that for someone, because I knew how it felt when I got the email that someone did that for me.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:04 PM   #1137
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...

I am a fan club member and intend to continue. While the cost has not been an issue for me, I know it is for some, and I do understand. I know of NO other place on the planet that a stamper can go to get the millions of things you can get here 24/7. The cost of running a website is not free, regardless what you may think or what others have heard. The SCS community is like no other. The people behind the scenes have not only given their talents and time, but their own money as well. Do you know of ANY magazine publishers that offer "free" subcriptions for a year to their monthly/bi-monthly publications? I don't. Do you know of any "local" stamping/scrapping stores that offer free class tutorials, new techniques, sketch challenges, etc? I don't. There are countless other resources available to everyone here as well, and I am grateful for each and everyone of them. To Daven, Tracy and the rest of the SCS family, you have my continued support and vote! Please do what you need to do to keep SCS the fantastic place that it is.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #1138
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannahsmom
ok.. and how is it not the case??? PLEASE tell me where I am having this misunderstanding??????
The problem they are experiencing is so many users accessing the gallery to upload at same time which causes the server to go slower....this means a "peak time" when lots are on posting their ideas to the gallery...hope this helps???

PS...I go on in early AM (2-4) for that reason and usually find I have no problems since many of you are still in bed....LOL
Old 09-26-2005, 06:36 PM   #1139
Glitter Queen

Send a message via Skype™ to letdolphin

I totally agree with your idea here! I would be more than willing to pay. One question is when I click on about and Fan Club I can't get it to open anything but a blank page.

I am sure this is probably the server issue but please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks
Laura
Old 09-26-2005, 08:01 PM   #1140
Cardstock Collector

Default To pay or not to pay, that is the question

I was surprised this wonderful forum was free. You are rightly due the Fan Club fee that you are asking and I'd pay it EVERY year! Good job to all you who work behind the scenes to keep this site up and running. Thank you for all your efforts!
-GiGi
Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 PM   #1141
Glitter Queen

Default fan club

Most of you say you pay $20.00 for the fan club but when I went to sign up it says it is $24.95. Have they raised the price from when you all joined? I do not know if I will join. I do love this sight.

How do I join? *NEW*
A $24.95 donation gets you added to the Fan Club for one year.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:57 AM   #1142
Inking Addict

Smile Membership Fees

I, too, love this site and can't thank Daven and Tracy enough for the work they do to bring it to all of us. I totally agree that a fee is reasonable for the wonderful samples and information that you provide. Most of us are SU stampers and this site is better than any magazine that I subscribe to. I am a brand new Fan Club member and happy to pay the $24.95 yearly!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:23 AM   #1143
Gabfest Goddess

jmourat said: "I mirror the issue that 'rrmuiller' brought up. That was my first thought. I would have no problem signing up for the fan club, but I have a concern that if you limit uploads to fan club members only that the new samples will be dramatically cut down - then maybe it won't be as worth signing up for."

I don't really see that as being a problem. When I found this site, there were just a little over 1,000 members, and there was still enough talent to make the gallery worthwhile. Besides, if you read Daven's statement (which many, it seems, have not bothered to do!), the restriction would be temporary. All things will be back to normal after the changes are made!
Also, there is now a half year member option for $14.95. A full year's membership is now $24.95, NOT $20.00. Still a bargain, IMO!

Old 09-27-2005, 02:31 AM   #1144
Matboard Maniac

I think that we should all be willing to pay a reasonable amount to be able to access this wonderful site. I have really enjoyed being here and would be totally lost without it. The information is wonderful, the swaps are great and the new friends I have made are priceless. It is very costly to run the technical end of this and I doubt seriously if they are making anything on it, especially thinking about the time they and their helpers have spent on it.

A big thank you and a monetary contribution could help express our feelings. THANK YOU!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 03:06 AM   #1145
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by flarobyn
I have not been a member of SCS for long, and I am not a Fan Club member. I didn't even know there was a fan club! I do enjoy the techniques, challenges and looking at member galleries. I belong to a few online groups and access many stamping websites. I also receive many magazines through the mail. I, for one, would not be willing to pay $25 just to see the Dirty Dozen artwork. I may, however, change my mind if there were online classes or directions for specific cards, ATC's, etc. But just to look at more cards? I'd rather spend my $25 on supplies!
The $25 really is to support the site....as someone else said, the DD is really just an added perk.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:38 AM   #1146
Pearl-ExPert

Can someone direct me how to find the "paid subscriptions" spot so I can check on my expiration date?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 03:50 AM   #1147
Pearl-ExPert

PS

I checked under "Misc" and found "Paid Sub" but no dates - just the updated fees.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:23 AM   #1148
Polyshrink Goddess

Now I know how drug addicts feel and how pushers work . . . here, try it, it's free! Everybody's doing it. Now that I'm addicted, I will have to FIND a way to pay. I'm SAHM too. Looks like a life of theft and prostition from here on out, but it seems worth it to get my fix.

SU addict? I don't have a problem. I can stamp - oops, I mean stop - whenever I want to!

Last edited by Mamalanie; 09-27-2005 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: add something
Old 09-27-2005, 05:18 AM   #1149
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendaruse
PS

I checked under "Misc" and found "Paid Sub" but no dates - just the updated fees.
Look in the box directly above the fees. It says: Active Subscriptions, then lists the Subscription with the Start Date and Expiry Date.

I missed it at first also. HTH!
Old 09-27-2005, 05:23 AM   #1150
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin_melissa
Look in the box directly above the fees. It says: Active Subscriptions, then lists the Subscription with the Start Date and Expiry Date.

I missed it at first also. HTH!
Just a note:
Don't be alarmed if you have no dates - depending on when you subscribed, your expiration date *may not* be in yet. Not to worry. . . you will get an email letting you know of your expiration date with plenty of time to renew.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:29 AM   #1151
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcer
Just a note:
Don't be alarmed if you have no dates - depending on when you subscribed, your expiration date *may not* be in yet. Not to worry. . . you will get an email letting you know of your expiration date with plenty of time to renew.
Leave it to Jenn to have the scoop!

Thanks Jenn!
Old 09-27-2005, 05:34 AM   #1152
Embossing Fanatic

Default Restrict Upload File Size

First, I support the subscription for the majority of the gallery.

Second, have you considered restricting the size of the uploads to perhaps a 3" x 2" at 180 ppi (or lesss)? This would typically keep the file size between 50 and 150 KB, improve upload and retrieval times, and free up disk space on your file server. I know this would require the users to learn how to do this in their graphics program, but most of the programs will allow you to adjust your image size in a similar manner. So the instructions to the users can probably be generic enough to cover most programs.

Just a thought.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:40 AM   #1153
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What if we trimmed down the number of uploads or restricted uploads in some way?
Uploads and file size are not contributing in a meaningful way to the performance issues that we're experiencing in the gallery. We will probably never need to place limits on the amount of items you upload.

The answer to limiting the size of the uploads has been answered and can be found in Davens original post, the first post of this thread, It really is worth reading.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:41 AM   #1154
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenwhite07
First, I support the subscription for the majority of the gallery.

Second, have you considered restricting the size of the uploads to perhaps a 3" x 2" at 180 ppi (or lesss)? This would typically keep the file size between 50 and 150 KB, improve upload and retrieval times, and free up disk space on your file server. I know this would require the users to learn how to do this in their graphics program, but most of the programs will allow you to adjust your image size in a similar manner. So the instructions to the users can probably be generic enough to cover most programs.

Just a thought.
Rather than make our members learn how to resize . . . . our gallery automatically resizes all images upon upload. We've tinkered with the size till we found the smallest without compromising the quality of the image.

and what Dorinda just posted, too.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #1155
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcer
Storage space isn't the issue, but thanks for suggesting that. We do already have limits on the number of PMs that a person has. . . and the forums are on a totally different server than the gallery is. HTH!

another answer to the question of file size and storage space.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:46 AM   #1156
Glitter Guru

Default paying for gallery

I agree that it has to be a lot of work to keep up on the gallery.and why should you pay it out of your pockets.we are the ones who want the gallery and when you want something as good as this then you should be paying for it.there is more here than in any magazine. so yes I will pay the fee.there are more than enough photos to view and always more coming.

I am already a fan club member and love allthe ideas.the moe the better.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:47 AM   #1157
Rubber Obsessor

Lightbulb fees?

When I first read the thread I was fairly upset. Yet I understand why the gallery is going to be limited FOR A SEASON not forever! I am truely sorry for fuming and getting all upset. I would like to get a membership, but in a few weeks. My ? is: once the fanclub goes on limitation can we still join? I was also VERY happy to find out that there are 2 options: full year/ $24.95 OR 1/2 year for $14.95. This makes it a lot easier to think about joining the fanclub. I am thankful for all of the talent that is here and that is is generally free. Again I am sorry for venting without finding out about ALL of the details. Taishea
Old 09-27-2005, 06:39 AM   #1158
Rubber Obsessor

a little sad

I can understand why this needs to be done. But I sure wish that it could have been during the spring months. Now, when I need ideas the most for Christmas and holiday cards, my access will be restricted. I loved being able to search by set because I am still quite limited in what I have. I agree that the Fan Club membership is really cheap (considering that a lot of magazine subscriptions cost more than that), but unfortunately I cannot afford to pay it at the moment (being a recent college graduate and looking to buy a house so that my boyfriend and I can get married next year). I support this decision, but I have to say I am a little sad that I will be missing out on my favorite part of the site for awhile. Hopefully, it will be back shortly. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to somehow scrounge up the $25 somewhere! LOL....don't know where I'd be without this site.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:46 AM   #1159
Rubber Obsessor

This would be fine with me - your website is worth so much more than the meager subscription fee to me! Shame on me for not subscribing sooner to help defray your costs, not to mention all the time you invest just so we can take advantage of all the terrific ideas you give us. I would be lost as a demonstrator without Splitcoast - my next Stamp Camp is a Splitcoast Showcase!

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!!!
Joan Ness
Old 09-27-2005, 07:03 AM   #1160
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I personally think the website would be worth every penny. I love it and use it often. I am willing to pay for other services, so I think this would be money well spent. I have been a fan club member for almost a year already and think it has been worth every penny for the ideas. Thank you for all of your hard work on making this website what it is.
Chris Dickinson
Closed Thread