Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:36 AM   #1081
Rubber Obsessor

I agree that the site should remain free. I have been meaning to join the fan club for some time, because I think it is worthwhile, but I haven't had a spare $20 bucks. I'll start putting some aside so I can do this. Please make the site free soon. I love all of the ideas available here.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-26-2005, 11:37 AM   #1082
Stazon Splitcoast

First I'd like to say thank you to Daven and Tracey for all that you do and have done to make this a fabulous website. Also, thank you for making it open, I for one would not be able to get on this site if you had kept it to your downline only. I for one was happy to pay for the priveledge to become a fan club member and will continue to do so. I love all the creative ideas that I have gotten from this site and appreciate sharing in the comraderie that exists here.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7
Old 09-26-2005, 11:40 AM   #1083
Matboard Maniac

I think it's a good idea and still a bargain. There is no place else that I've found that I can get the samples like the ones here. For $20 I get more bang for my buck at SCS than any of the magazines I receive through subscriptions. Just my opinion don't want to offend anyone.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #1084
Hardware Hotshot

All concerns anyone has are answered BY DAVEN in the original post!!!! So before anyone goes stomping off to throw a tantrum about not having access to the gallery anymore, being excluded 'cuz you can't afford it, etc.....

Read the Original Post....Read the Original Post....Read the Original Post...(Come on, ladies! Chant it with me!)
Old 09-26-2005, 11:50 AM   #1085
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakegrandma
What email warning thread?
Right here

You can bring up a huge list of anyone's most recent posts just by clicking on their username and selecting from the dropdown list. You can also find threads people started by going to their public profiles.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-26-2005, 12:02 PM   #1086
Cardstock Collector

Default closing gallery

I think it's a bad idea to close the gallery to everyone. Alot of us get really great ideas from here, w/o it most of us wouldn't even come to this site. Some of us can't afford to pay just to access ideas for cards and scrapbook pages. I understand why if you keep it this way but it's not really fair to only let fan club members upload.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:08 PM   #1087
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitteykaty
I think it's a bad idea to close the gallery to everyone. Alot of us get really great ideas from here, w/o it most of us wouldn't even come to this site. Some of us can't afford to pay just to access ideas for cards and scrapbook pages. I understand why if you keep it this way but it's not really fair to only let fan club members upload.
Please read Daven's original post at the beginning of this thread. The gallery is not being closed, and the uploading restrictions will only be in place until the upgrades are complete.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"

Last edited by row4d; 09-26-2005 at 12:14 PM..
Old 09-26-2005, 12:10 PM   #1088
Crimping Master

Default Gallery

I support you 100% and I'm excited about the changes! It's been so long since I've visited the gallery and it moved with any speed.... I can't wait! Thanks for everything!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #1089
Insane Embellisher

Location: wherever the Navy sends us for now it is Clinton, UT

I think instead of having paid members only be able to view the gallery, you could save the system from being overloaded by not letting those people who put 5 of almost the exact same card on only be able to add one card or limit it somehow. Say each user is only allowed to add 10 cards per week or something like that. I enjoy being able to look at all the different ideas, but the ones that have been cased or when someone puts numerous cards that are about the same maybe a little something has been changed.. let those not be added. I don't have a lot of money and I know I am not the only one who has a budget too.. so I think there maybe other ways to let all the registered users view all the gallery.... Thanks so much for all the work and effort you have put into this site.. it is the greatest, but too bad you have to make us pay for it now to be able to view it.... thanks!!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #1090
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannahsmom
I think instead of having paid members only be able to view the gallery, you could save the system from being overloaded by not letting those people who put 5 of almost the exact same card on only be able to add one card or limit it somehow. Say each user is only allowed to add 10 cards per week or something like that. I enjoy being able to look at all the different ideas, but the ones that have been cased or when someone puts numerous cards that are about the same maybe a little something has been changed.. let those not be added. I don't have a lot of money and I know I am not the only one who has a budget too.. so I think there maybe other ways to let all the registered users view all the gallery.... Thanks so much for all the work and effort you have put into this site.. it is the greatest, but too bad you have to make us pay for it now to be able to view it.... thanks!!
This is not the case. Again, please read Daven's original post at the beginning of the thread.

My Stampin' Up! blog
Old 09-26-2005, 12:25 PM   #1091
Insane Embellisher

Location: wherever the Navy sends us for now it is Clinton, UT

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
This is not the case. Again, please read Daven's original post at the beginning of the thread.

ok.. and how is it not the case??? PLEASE tell me where I am having this misunderstanding??????
Old 09-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #1092
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with many of the statements made. If it has to be a short period of time that those that do not pay can only access the member galleries...it will be sad, but if it isn't permanent, you might get by with it. I do think that you will lose a lot of talent, and that obviously, making people pay to play is not a reallistic solution....because in the long run, you will have the same problems with too many users(at least, that would be the hope). But I guess if you had that many paying members, you could upgrade to solve the problems, so I don't know what the solution is, but good luck finding one.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #1093
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by acer
Hmmm 55,000 members at $20 dollars a piece is $1,100,000.00.

Is it just me or do you guys also think that Daven and Tracy deserve to be millionaires?

I say, everybody pay!! Wa-hoo!

That would be one way we could pay them back for all of the fun they've given to us!

Just my lurking little thoughts......

(which, by the way, in San Diego, a million dollars would only buy you a track home...ay-yi-yi!)

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks...."
I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Last edited by iliveforjc; 09-26-2005 at 12:30 PM..
Old 09-26-2005, 12:28 PM   #1094
Rubber Obsessor

I know this sounds corny, but what if you could do something like a sign up time sheet.....just while you are ironing things out. You could have the day broken down into time slots, and have a maximum number of users in each slot..that way, people could only look during their slotted time, and that might prevent the overkill. I don't even know if you could do this mechanically or if it would have to be on an honor system, but it's just a thought.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:31 PM   #1095
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hannahsmom
ok.. and how is it not the case??? PLEASE tell me where I am having this misunderstanding??????
Calm down, hon. Did you read Daven's post? I didn't see anything in there about having to pay to VIEW, only that Fan Club members would be the only ones allowed to UPLOAD new images during the upgrades.

My Stampin' Up! blog
Old 09-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #1096
Kookie Creator

Default Fees--Everyone take a deep breath

I agree with Rachel about reading Devan's original posting. We are all just chatting away but are not remembering what he said. I feel I can say this because I did the same thing and wrote a book in reply.......I rambled on about possible business thoughts for the group.....did not directly answer the his question.

We all agree that this a just the best site on the web for our interests. Let Devan and team do what they have to do to keep this running. We all have a choice to pay $24.95 for the year to see all areas or wait a month and it will be free again once they address all the problems WE have created.

It is a wonderful day and we live in a free country where we can make choices!

Chatty Cathy 25

Enjoy life and take time to smell the roses!!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:52 PM   #1097
Cardstock Collector

Question Problem will repeat itself

This is a good idea until all the cheapie members decide to pay. Then you have all the paying members in this same sitch a year (or whenever we all eventually pay) from now.

Something to ponder: How is it that eBay is able to accomodate MILLIONS of people every second of every day without skipping a beat? HMMMM....
Old 09-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #1098
Stazon Splitcoast

A bit harsh don't you think StarlitKris?

I'd leave the website decisions to Daven and Tracy and decisions to become members to each individual for whatever their reason may be.

deb graupman

Old 09-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #1099
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Yes that was harsh! I am speechless!!! Oh my word!!!

Debra
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011

Last edited by Debra; 09-26-2005 at 12:59 PM..
Old 09-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #1100
Postapalooza Mama

Quote:

Originally Posted by starlitkris
This is a good idea until all the cheapie members decide to pay. Then you have all the paying members in this same sitch a year (or whenever we all eventually pay) from now.

Something to ponder: How is it that eBay is able to accomodate MILLIONS of people every second of every day without skipping a beat? HMMMM....
VERY UNCALLED FOR COMMENTS
Old 09-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #1101
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

They get a portion of every items listed when sale is complete I believe...don't they? I don't often use ebay but my FIL was looking into it..and they had fees to list and sell items....
Old 09-26-2005, 01:03 PM   #1102
Compulsive Stamper

I love looking through the gallery and would hate to see the access restricted only to those who pay. I hope by limiting what "free" users have access to, it will help the problem and you won't have to resort to limiting the site to paid users only.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:10 PM   #1103
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

And what exactly constitutes a "Cheapie Member"?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #1104
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Ouch! This was kinda uncalled for! There are no "cheapie members" as you called them ~ membership to this site is free for everyone!!!

If you take the time to read the original post, you will see that it is a temporary measure to solve some site issues.

Paying the fee for the fan club gets you a THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT GIFT which is the ability to view the DDD gallery. People get so confused on that one!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 09-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #1105
Crimping Master

Quote:

WOW, pretty ballsy for your first post on this board don't ya think? I can't imagine how someone with 1 post and being a member for less than a month feels that they even have a right to comment on something like this, let alone have such a harsh way of expressing it. SO have you paid for the fan club or are you a "cheapie member"??? Maybe instead of comparing this site to Evilbay (which by the way is a multi million dollar company), you should be graciously thanking Tracy and Daven for their allowing you somewhere to post your opinions. Hmmmm, just a thought.

Cori
Old 09-26-2005, 01:15 PM   #1106
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sydsmomma
I love looking through the gallery and would hate to see the access restricted only to those who pay. I hope by limiting what "free" users have access to, it will help the problem and you won't have to resort to limiting the site to paid users only.
The only "restriction" as you call it, is the inability to pull up the galleries by name! You can still view almost every single image uploaded to the galleries (unless it's a DDD gallery) by simply viewing members' galleries!

Sheesh people! Settle down! It's a month, not a lifetime! LOL!!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 09-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #1107
Cardstock Collector

I think it is reasonable. I love to look at all the new ideas everyday. Everyone is so creative. You can't get this many great ideas from the craft magazines...And the subscription price per year is the same.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:17 PM   #1108
Embossing Fanatic

Default personal opinion

I personally think that that is a great idea. I know that pending on the cost of the membership (I haven't checked it out yet) that some members may not be able to continue as they do now; however, we all must realize that this is a "full time" job for the staff who makes this site as it is.

I will likely pay for the membership dues, as just finding this site, I am already HOOKED! This is a great site with FRIENDLY adults who can post freely and enjoy doing so.

I am looking forward to the new changes and chance to post more often with out hte dreaded wait that I've read so much about.

Best wishes to all!

Thanks,
Denise
Old 09-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #1109
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

i'm guessing this person has been around a while under another name. it was worded very rudely and as such, i take it as troll-speak!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #1110
Stazon Splitcoast

I completely understand why this decision must be made. I'm surprised it has lasted this long. However, I don't think I'll become a paying member. I really have to pick and choose what I can spend money on. All my profit from workshops go to bills and replenishing paper. Right now, the internet is the only "luxury" I have. With the gas prices and the economy now I can't afford anything. Our TV and cell phones have been turned off. We haven't been able to buy groceries, when I get a couple bucks I run to the store to buy milk, bread, or diapers. I'm been getting "threats" from bill collectors. I work more than 30 miles from my home. I go to work to make money and then turn around and put it in my car.

I don't want to sound like I'm whining and I understand that $25 is not a lot for some people but when $25 is what you spend on a month on groceries it is a lot.

I believe you must do what you have to do, but I'm saddened that I won't be able to help.

Best of luck to everyone!

Rebecca
Old 09-26-2005, 01:19 PM   #1111
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Right here

You can bring up a huge list of anyone's most recent posts just by clicking on their username and selecting from the dropdown list. You can also find threads people started by going to their public profiles.
I know all that and use it a lot, guess I was being lazy and/or funny.

I wore Red Panties, now I wear white!!
Don't mess with Old People!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #1112
Stazon Splitcoast

Please let's not allow this thread to become a back and forth. Share your opinion what ever it may be, DO NOT ABUSE OTHERS by making snide or "name calling" remarks, as it is a violation of our Terms Of Service. Please just be kind to all and try to see what each person is trying to say...
Old 09-26-2005, 01:24 PM   #1113
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I am wondering how many "cheapie members" (as you call them) would pay.

I think eBay is a big business, SCS isn't!!!

Are you a regular that got a new registration so you could make negative comments?

I wore Red Panties, now I wear white!!
Don't mess with Old People!
Old 09-26-2005, 01:28 PM   #1114
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
They get a portion of every items listed when sale is complete I believe...don't they? I don't often use ebay but my FIL was looking into it..and they had fees to list and sell items....

Yup. You pay a fee to list your item, then they take a fee from the final sale of the item.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:48 PM   #1115
Watercolor Wizard

ok, I am a member to the fan club. I also am not willing to read through tons of pages to find if this has been posted. I read 17 pages already and my brain is FRIED! LOL

I am wondering for others, what about the Secret Sister forum gallery?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #1116
Mad Swapper

Thumbs up Such a bargain!

I tend to look at it this way. I could pay $20 for a magazine subscription and get 9 issues in a year with a limited number of cards shown. That is a fraction of the number of ideas I get from your gallery. SCS is a much better value.

The natural result of your success is that you have to make changes to keep it the way you want it to be for everyone's enjoyment. I can't see a downside to making us pay now. It simply could not stay free forever.

I'm behind you 100% and now I'm going to sign up for your Fan Club
Old 09-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #1117
Rubber Obsessor

Default Fan Club???

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrmueller
That said, having read through your proposal I only have one question; 1) only fan club members can upload pictures to the site? This is the only area I don't agree with simply because it will limit my exposure to everyones creative and beautiful cards. I am of the philosophy "the more the merrier" as it relates to seeing everyones cards, scrapbook pages, etc.
I mirror the issue that 'rrmuiller' brought up. That was my first thought. I would have no problem signing up for the fan club, but I have a concern that if you limit uploads to fan club members only that the new samples will be dramatically cut down - then maybe it won't be as worth signing up for.

I would also like to say that I have been frequenting this site for most of this year and I didn't even realize that there was paid member fan club. I guess I never really saw any mention of it and don't know anything about it. I will check the fan club page out now and see what it's all about.

Good Luck with the whole upgrade thing! I'm sure most people will think paying is well worth it.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:09 PM   #1118
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmourat
I mirror the issue that 'rrmuiller' brought up. That was my first thought. I would have no problem signing up for the fan club, but I have a concern that if you limit uploads to fan club members only that the new samples will be dramatically cut down - then maybe it won't be as worth signing up for.

Just for October. They're just trying to slow traffic down a bit so the upgrades can be done.

Honestly, out of respect for their efforts, even though I am a fan club member and have the ability to upload, I probably won't upload as much as I normally would given the circumstances. I think I'll use the freed up bandwidth to browse like I haven't been able to do lately.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #1119
Glitter Guru

Exclamation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Please let's not allow this thread to become a back and forth. Share your opinion what ever it may be, DO NOT ABUSE OTHERS by making snide or "name calling" remarks, as it is a violation of our Terms Of Service. Please just be kind to all and try to see what each person is trying to say...

Everybody needs to calm down.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #1120
Glitter Guru

Cool

!!!!!Reread Davens first post!!!!!

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Closed Thread