Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 06:43 PM   #921
Kookie Creator

And now for reply number nine-hundred-and-twenty-one...LOL...

I just wanted to thank you for being so upfront about this whole thing. Makes me love this place even more. It's obvious by the amount of support you have here that you're doing a whole lot of RIGHT! Many for-profit companies could surely take a lesson or two from you guys.

The bad news for me is we just got a letter from our lovely (**not!**) insurance company that our health premium is going up 40 bucks a month. A month! I wasn't sure how I was going to swing it before (and have my hubby agree to it, ha!), but this put the nail in the coffin. For now anyways. The good news though...maybe I'll be more productive in October since I won't be spending as much time here...LOL. Best of luck with the upgrade, I hope you get this place happily humming along!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-24-2005, 06:51 PM   #922
Polyshrink Goddess

I am just amazed that there is anyone out there who can be oblivious to the cost of running an operation like this. I understand that some people don't have the money and that all of us love to get something for free, but this site is not FREE. Someone is paying for it and while I was fortunate to get a fan club membership from one of my friends who is now my downline, I will happily pay for my renewal. The wealth of information that is available here is worth the small fee. I don't really care if Daven could become a millionaire...like that is going to happen while he is maintaining this site!!! I love this site and it has been so beneficial to my SU business. I loved meeting Tracy and Daven at convention. The wonderful people who moderate all the areas of the site put in so much time, too. It is so obvious that this is a labor of love for all the people involved in keeping it going. We should be thanking them for all they do instead of adding up how much they stand to make off of this. That is so sad.
Roberta
Old 09-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #923
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbuffan218
I have been a paid member for a couple years now. I was under the assumption that the reason I paid was so that I could have access to the gallery. I was not aware that others that had not paid were also allowed access. I have not been able to enter the gallery for many weeks now, I just assumed it was under construction again. Now it seems that is not the case.
I understand that it must be quite costly to maintain this site and so I had no problem paying the $25 for a year. I get many hours of stress free enjoyment looking at this site.
Now I find out that not everyonein the gallery is a member of the fan club?
I think everyone that wants the ability to view the gallery should be paying for that priviledge, otherwise what are the paying members getting for the yearly fee?
I apoligize in advance if I offend anyone that is not my intention.
Your membership does allow you into the Dirty Dozen gallery, and the Fan Club Forum (for templates, instructions, etc. for items in the DD), and non-members do not have that opportunity. Plus your membership allows you to know that you are helping to support this site with your generosity.

Old 09-24-2005, 07:55 PM   #924
Compulsive Stamper

Hey, I'm game. I have found much valuable information on this site and certainly don't mind paying a little for it. Not only have I learned so much from the members here, but I have truly enjoyed just glancing through the gallery in the evenings before going to bed. Additionally, I have participated in several swaps through SCS and have enjoyed everyone of them. You guys have done a wonderful job with this site and I believe it's greatly appreciated by many including myself.

With that said, I give it . . . two thumbs up! =0)
Old 09-24-2005, 07:56 PM   #925
Glitter Queen

Default I'll pay a hundred dollars!!

I'LL PAY A HUNDRED DOLLARS!!
Just don't kick me out!!!!
I'm not sure I could stamp without you!!!
Thanks for all you do
(SU should pay for a portion, don't you think.................)
Alicia in Canada
Old 09-24-2005, 07:57 PM   #926
Pearl-ExPert

My thoughts. While $25 may not seem like a lot to most, to some it greatly restricts their ability to become members. Some may think "It is only $25" but I can remember a time not too long ago where $25 was a HUGE sum to come up with "just" for a hobby. I had limited stamps and supplies and kept having to come up with new and unique ways to use them.

Also, I think that this is going to greatly impact people's participation in the daily challenges. This is one of my favorite aspects of this site and being able to share and view our work is a true treat for our creativity.

I was drawn to this website because it has such an extensive gallery *and* that it was free. There are other websites with galleries, but they are either mediocre or they cost to be a member as well.

I think that restricting the gallery will restrict some people's creativity.

Docorate of De-Edumacation, Lawd, How Cum granted by Rainsong

"What's life if not doing things for other people?" Martin Gray

Eesay ymay allerygay !

ymay amperedpay efchay usinessbay
Old 09-24-2005, 08:06 PM   #927
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melody Smith
You've just made everyone who isn't a fan club (paying) member, a second class citizen. If the change is made I will no longer visit this site.

WHATEVER. I think that takes a lot of guts to say and just plain WRONG. At least Daven and Tracy are even asking how we feel about it.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:12 PM   #928
Embossing Fanatic

Default Where do I go to pay the fee?

Just point me in the right direction. I have only been a member for about two weeks. I have gotten invaluble info off this site. It would definitely be worth the dough to continue to have access to all!!
Also, could someone tell me something about the fan club? And what it is.
Thanks
Cindy
Old 09-24-2005, 08:16 PM   #929
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Pay to play...good idea

I am a Fan Club member and feel it is totally worth the $20...I wouldn't mind if there was a fee to view....I will renew when the time comes!
Old 09-24-2005, 08:28 PM   #930
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Worth Every Penny and More!!!!

I am so Thankful to have happened across this AMAZING Site!!!!! I think that the rate for paid subscription is reasonable, in comparison to what other websites are asking for subscriptions. I was doing some Univeristy Courses a few years ago and the cost to gain access to enriched learning sites was incredible. Paper Crafting Magazines cost at a minimum 7.00 per issue in Canada and although I am a Magazine Freak, you certainly don't get as many ideas from them as you can with a daily visit to this site.

As an Artist and a Business Person, utilizing this forum for both creative inspiration and as a business tool is has been invaluable. I know that my sales have increased as a result of sending clients to the site for creative ideas..................I use the tutorials to inspire me to learn and to teach others...............even though I don't post often on the topic threads, I have formed special friendships here.........I am inspired to create (Not very much as of late .....lol) and post my creations and to get the benefit of receiving positive feedback from others (That's Therapeutic in itself and much less expensive than a trip to the Psychologist!!!!). The way I see it, I have a free unlimited art gallery to catalogue and share my work with others, including my stampers...........I don't have to spend the time emailing them out my samples, I just refer them to my gallery................where can a person get that for nothing????

Although everyone may not agree on the concept of whether 25.00 is expensive or not, one would be hard pressed to disagree that a small paid subscription would be well worth it's value, given all that the members gain from each visit. In my opinion, it is time and money well spent.

Vicki Garrett- Kingston, Ontario Canada
Old 09-24-2005, 09:13 PM   #931
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueeniesScraps
Just point me in the right direction. I have only been a member for about two weeks. I have gotten invaluble info off this site. It would definitely be worth the dough to continue to have access to all!!
Also, could someone tell me something about the fan club? And what it is.
Thanks
Cindy
Cindy, please click on the clickable text, down below, in my signature--the one that references "The Dirty Dozen". The Dirty Dozen Gallery/Fan Club Gallery have become synonomous. (sp?) Anyhoo, that'll lead you to all the info about it!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:21 PM   #932
Glitter Queen

As an overseas stamper and visitor to the site I have enjoyed many hours quietly looking at the wonderful ideas. Unfortunately the idea of paying $20US means about $40AUST to me whoich is a bit prohibitive when you are on a budget. I would be sad to not be able to access all the beautiful cards but can totally understand your dilemma. I think though a lot of people are not remembering that this will only be for a short time anyway as Daven has made quite clear in his various messages.So maybe we should all stop panicking, let him get on with the job and then return all to normal so that we can all enjoy this fantastic site free of charge. There is nothing like it here in Australia and I wish the stamps were available here as I would become a demo in a heart beat....
Old 09-24-2005, 09:39 PM   #933
Embossing Fanatic

Default DAVEN, IN A NUTSHELL (a big nutshell)...

I am a SAHM of 3 kids living on one income - I do not buy coffee, stamping magazines, $27 pizza, or subscribe to any online memberships. I am not a demo or a member of the DD group, and I do not spend alot of money on stamping supplies. But, I love stamping! Since I discovered SCS, I have referred dozens of people to this website, to encourage their newfound hobby. I was drawn to SCS because it was free and because of the PLETHORA of ideas and techniques. HOWEVER, I totally and completely understand what Daven and Crew have contributed, and the cost and time involved.

I just read through the first 9 pages of this thread, and this is my input, which is a combination of several recurring threads...

I think a portion of the gallery should be free, with limited access, with the ability to step up benefits based on memberships (like DD gallery and Demos only). That way, people can still visit, become totally addicted, then expand their membership as they want 'more'. You can still attract new people and keep low profile ones, but maintain finances depending on the 'need' of more serious members.

I believe options that are not cost-effective should be eliminated or controlled. I don't think anyone would object to limiting file space, uploads, or deleting old pics to make room for more (especially if you look at your first works that have not been commented on for over a year, and see how 'good' you THOUGHT you were at the time (cringe)). In other words, cut back on things that are not imperative to the site that can limit costs for SCS as well.

I also think (my humble opinion) that the forums have gotten completely out of hand and are taking up way too much space. I think it's great that people make friends here and can get advice on personal matters, but I think it has become a chat room for some, and the original intent of the website has been exploited. Limit it to stamping and cut back on or delete old and unnecessary posts, keeping in mind that your words cost SCS money!..

I'm sure there is more, but I for one, would love to continue to be able to refer new people to the site, for the sake of the love of stamping. If the decision comes down to a 'paid-only' membership, I would easily be willing to pay the $$ needed because of the wealth of information that can be obtained and CASEd, not for the sake of obligation but solely to reward Daven and Crew's time and efforts.

I know Daven and his crew will make a decision based on the good of the majority of people involved, and will inevitably lose some as well. For those of us who love stamping, and have concluded that SCS is 'hands-down' the best gallery for stamping ideas, we will do what we need to do to keep this site going. I would love to see a free portion, but will pay for more!

Daven and Crew, thanks for all you have done with this amazing 'brainchild' of yours...did you have any idea you would inspire this many? Kind of a reward, all in itself, ya' know?!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:47 PM   #934
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

this is my honest opinion. This is a great site to get great information and Ideas.
I love coming here and seeing the new pics and the new posts BUT....

I think with charging that you will lose alot of members. Also all pics that are in the Gallery should be given the right to be removed by the members that are not paying. so if you have uploaded pics to the gallery you should be able to take them away if you don't want to pay... I feel that our "sharing of ideas and pics" was the payment for using the site.

I know not all will register to pay but, as of today we had 56001 members at $20 each that would come to 1120020... Thats over a million bucks!!!

even if only 2000 payed thats over 40 thousand and I feel thats a little much too.....

so in the end I guess you are going to end up charging us to look at our own ideas and projects which doesn't seem right to me.....

just my 2 cents
Please re-read Daven's Original Post at the start of this thread!

If you will read it very carefully, I believe you will find that many misconceptions, such as the above, will be cleared up.

Unfortunately, some are glossing over the detailed information in that post, and leaping to the assumption that SCS is becoming a "fee-based site" October 1st.

In all actuality, this assumption is completely innaccurate.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #935
Stazon Splitcoast

I see some really good suggestions here, but........it is not the forums that are the issue, they are on a diff. seperate server.

Space and file size are not the big problem either, it is the amount of users trying to veiw the gallery at the same time, traffic jam just like rush hour on the freeway.

Limited acces to the gallery is only temporary to get the necasary upgrades in place then all back to normal. Slower and less traffic makes this transition a little easier on Fan Club members and the folks that do all of the behind the scenes work.

Limiting the forums has nothing to do with the gallery issues at hand.

Leaving SCS is not necassary, you can still visit still see the member galleries and the technique gallery and the limitations are temporary.

I encourage everyone to go and read the original post for the most accurate information, and please read it all, the original post that is, not necassarily all of this thread.

Old 09-24-2005, 11:12 PM   #936
Crimping Master

I am a member of the Fan Club, not for access to the Dirty Dozen, but because I think it's important to financially support sites that I use and I am in a financial position to do so.

That being said, even if I was not a member, I would still have the same opinion. Restricting access to the gallery for a temporary time period in order to improve it seems reasonable to me. More than reasonable, truth be told. After all, Daven could have just said the gallery needs to be shut down for repairs! And I would hate that, but if it had to be, I'd understand. So do whatever needs to be done to keep this place up and running -- I'll be here when it's finished.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:24 AM   #937
Stazon Splitcoast

Haven't read all the posts (!), but I've always assumed that Tracey and Daven started this as a little thing and then it grew into paying jobs for them (at least I hope so, or I can't imagine what their lives would be like LOL). I assumed that they make a living running this site. Hey, it's a lot easier than trying to make a living selling SU (LOL). Good for them. Anyone could have taken the inititiative to make this site what it is, but they did and I say bravo -- it is the American way. I also assume the moderators get paid -- at least I hope they do.

Many websites are profitable without charging a fee because of advertising. However, Daven said in his original post that money isn't the reason he is doing this. They aren't trying to raise money to increase the server capacity. Rather, they are hoping that only the paying people will access certain portions of the galleries, giving them time to increase the capacity. After a month or so, everything will be back to normal.

So -- I'm genuinely befuddled. I was about to join and then I thought --wait -- do they want more paid members now?? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the idea to reduce access to the galleries? Would it have been better to freeze the number of paid members and then just limit the access to them for a month? Not sure.

I think this is a wonderful site and resource and will definitely pay for the priviledge of having my own gallery and being able to look at the galleries broken down by SU site. But my question is -- should I do that now or later, when the gallery is repaired?? Daven, would SCS be better off if I joined now or later???? I hope my question makes sense!
Old 09-25-2005, 02:33 AM   #938
Glitter Guru

I discovered SCS in January of this year, thanks to a good friend and fellow stamper. After a few months I decided to join the Fan Club, NOT to view the DD gallery, although that's wonderful, but because I thought you guys deserved my financial support. I agree with the earlier post that mentions how much we spend on stamps and supplies...HOW can we complain about spending $20 to support the most comprehensive idea network on the web? You guys are doing a phenomenal job. I will continue to pay my dues. They are worth every penny.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Old 09-25-2005, 03:01 AM   #939
Postapalooza Mama

THANKS AGAIN, JulieHRR & Dorinda,

For attempting to direct posters to take the time to read
Daven's original & edited post, which really DOES explain
the plans & objectives of the changes.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:22 AM   #940
Compulsive Stamper

Default Gallery for paid members only...

I am a not-so-active lurker/SU demo/member and I think this is a great idea, as long as the fee isn't too high! When I signed up to join the Fan Club about a year ago (I think!?) and I told some fellow demos about it, they sort of ridiculed/laughed at me because I would pay for something that I could get for free! Well, I wanted to help out the website because I appreciated the hard work you all were doing to keep it going! As time went on and this site got busier, I would visit less often because it was too busy; I didn't have the time to view all the new pics because it took so long for them to come up. I was actually feeling like I paid for something I wasn't getting!!! I hated visiting the website and only could visit when I had many hours of time to spend on computer. I used to visit about once a day, now its once every 1 or 2 weeks instead and usually only in the early AM when everyone is sleeping yet! I still don't have time to view everything I missed since the last visit because I am so far behind, but I get to see a few pics and read some posts. Sorry, this post got a little too long! Thanks to the staff for all the hard work, no matter what you decide to do!!!! By the way, I think I owe for my "membership" again soon! Will you let me know due date and how much when you know what it is???? Diane
Old 09-25-2005, 04:34 AM   #941
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been reading these posts (well, most of them anyway) and decided I have to jump in with my 2 cents worth.

First of all, I sent in my Fan Club membership quite a while ago, with a renewal so $5 could go to the Katrina fund. So many of you have eloquently stated what most of us feel about supporting such a great site.

But I must admit that I am a little disturbed that many have not understood what will and what will not be available for free. Thanks to those who have tried to point that out here and in other forums. I realize that for a lot of SCSers it is not possible to come up with the membership fee - just realize you will not be totally shut out. But I am also disturbed that there seems to be some insensitivity on "both sides". For those who are concerned about accessibility after Oct. 1 - please don't leave until you have a chance to see what will be available.

And thanks again to the Noltas, the moderators, and all you wonderful stampers who are so willing to share.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 09-25-2005, 04:35 AM   #942
Glitter Queen

Default Not a problem

I haven't read all the posts but I do want to chime in that as a fan club member, I get a really big bang for my buck. I looked over my stuff as to what I've copied/created in the past year: and 99% of it is based on ideas that have come from here.

I cancelled my stamping magazine subscription (which was about the same cost) as I got NO inspiration from that arriving monthly. Yet, I get daily inspiration from this site.

I do get frustrated with the gallery speed but thankfully, I'm a morning person so I just make it a habit to check in when I first get up. But, a more reliable solution would be appreciated and one I'd be willing to help finance (or at least pay my fair share! Didn't want anyone thinking I was offering to help foot the entire upgrade bill! )

Marty
Old 09-25-2005, 04:59 AM   #943
Compulsive Stamper

Talking

I've been a member for awhile now and it is totally worth The $20 to join. I couldn't imagine how many hours are put into keeping this site up and running. I for one would be lost without it for my workshops! I am on this site everyday like clockwork! Keep up the fantastic work you do everyday!
Old 09-25-2005, 05:03 AM   #944
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up Restricted Access from a dial-up user

I think it is a great idea. Personally, I wish it were restricted to demo's only who wish to share ideas. I think there should be upload standards also. I enjoy everyones samples. However, when cards are cased and nothing has been changed and OSW that could be scanned maybe two at a time. I like seeing 6X6 scrapbook pages with themes, but when you have 30 pages uploaded of someones dog or cat and there is one stamped image or pages with nothing more than a change of paper direction, it becomes extremely time consuming to go through page after page of that. It would also be nice if you had the choice of more than 25 images. That maybe an extreme request. Please think of us in the DIAL-UP rural world who don't have the option of high speed internet. I usually get on here around 5:00 am central time just so I can look at samples with a little speed.

WE ALL APPRECIATE THOSE WHO RUN THIS WEBSITE AND ALL YOU DO. EVERYTHING I HAVE LEARNED WAS WELL WORTH THE $20.

Debra
Old 09-25-2005, 05:23 AM   #945
Gabfest Goddess

stampinschool said: Personally, I wish it were restricted to demo's only who wish to share ideas.

Oooooh!!! Definitely a BAD idea! I don't think you realize how many of the talented stampers on this site are NOT demonstrators!
Old 09-25-2005, 05:48 AM   #946
Stazon Splitcoast

wow... how do you all keep up with all this reading? No way could I do it!
Anyway, in case anyone cares to 'hear' what I have to say, here goes. First of all, I didn't read ALLLLLL the pages of opinions (I just couldn't!), and... even if I did, it wouldn't change my mind.
I LOVE this site, and it has charged me up to stamp more, and to 'stretch' my mind and talents. I don't go to the forums.... never could get 'into' that kinda stuff. On other sites, whenever I would try, it quickly becomes hard for me to keep up. It's just too much for me.
MOST OF ALL... it saddens me to not be able to upload and to also be restricted from seeing all other samples, so... if I have to pay to upload and see the other members work, I'll do it. I haven't 'joined' because I thought the samples I saw in the gallery were awesome.... I couldn't imagine 'needing' to see more. (I even figured out a 'secret template' and am enjoying the fun I'm having with it.... aren't I BAD!!?) tee hee
ALL this to say. I'll certainly keep looking, and seriously think about joining.

I *heart* My Computer
Because a lot of my best friends live in it!!
Thanks SCS.... for providing a place to cultivate priceless friendships!!
Old 09-25-2005, 06:14 AM   #947
Rubber Obsessor

It sounds reasonable to me..of course I am a member but rarely go on due to the frustration. This site is well worth a fee for membership.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:14 AM   #948
Glitter Guru

Just like Julie - I would implore people to go back and read Davens orginal in formation...

IF you DON'T contribute:

FORUMS will remain the same - so come chat all you want - swap all you want

GALLERY - you will STILL be able to access images - only by member galleries - it means you would not be able to access images by stamp set or type of stamping (scrapbook pages, home decor, etc...). Most everything I have ever uploaded also shows in my gallery....so basically those that aren't paid members won't be able to look for all the cards under a specific set...

I am glad they aren't going to restrict member galleries - as I refer people to my own gallery and get cards and other items commissioned because of that - likewise I'll still be able to send my friends to certain people's galleries to look at thier work.

I think everyone has something to contribute...everyone has a different comfort level and experience level - someone mentioned about people going back and taking out picture sof older cards where in their opinion might not be very good...in looking back at my gallery some of my first cards are very simple cards that now a days I probably would not do - BECAUSE of SCS I have learned how to improve upon my stamping and add in techniques - HOWEVER - think about someone who stumbles upon SCS for the first time - or just purchased thier first stamp set and all they see are elborate cards with layers and techniques galore - that would frighten the bejezus out of me and I would think I can't do this....but by seeing some basic cards it will help them get comfortabel and branch from there...

As for the money aspect...does it really matter if Tracey and Daven make money off this site - quite frankly I hope they do because it would compensate them for thier time and energy that they put in building this site...don't forget it is just not Daven alone who is helping this site move forward - in the past he has had to bring in other computer people to help with up-grades and change overs...and I know computer people don't come cheap...

It really is simple...either give some money and have full access to everything or don't and have limited access...

If you read back through the thread (all probably 1000 responses so far) a lot of people have either already paid or are going to - and they are all differing levels - some people have been here old-timers...(my member number is below 5000 - does that make me an old-timer ) and other are newbies that have found this site only a few weeks ago...so while there may not be as many uploads in the next few weeks there will still be quite a variety I bet...and maybe I can actually see everything everyone uploads and make comments...

just my .62 1/2 cents....{again}
Old 09-25-2005, 06:22 AM   #949
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Oct 2015

Dear Noltes & Co.
A couple of thoughts not directly related to the Oct 2005 question, but looking beyond that (and it's likely you're already way ahead on these thoughts): 1) When you upgrade the server to be able to increase the load of all gallery viewers at the same time, could you think about handling a capacity of say 600,000 because I think you've sort of created a Google for stampers and I think you're/we're going to grow like that? 2) Davin & technical co., are you interested in/ready for consulting for other hobbiests in other interest areas, because I could see a similar site for woodworkers, toy train lovers etc with the same type of community you've developed here. I'm guessing there will be folk knocking on your door if they haven't already. You guys are beyond awesome!
Old 09-25-2005, 06:23 AM   #950
Glitter Guru

BTW - I just went to re-new my fan club membership and 1/2 year memberships are now available...

so for all of you who can't afford $25 a half year is $15 (or about 4.5 gallons of gas around my area )....
Old 09-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #951
Glitter Guru

I respect whatever decisions you have to make. I love SCS, but have often been frustrated by it, too, and haven't had the time it takes to wait for images to come up. I am a member, so your decision will only help me! I hope things improve ! Thanks for everything!
Old 09-25-2005, 06:30 AM   #952
Pearl-ExPert

I am wondering if I have cards that are not in the main gallery then are people going to have to pay to see my cards? I am not comforable having people pay to see the cards I made. I uploaded cards because they were free for everyone to see. If my cards are no longer free for everone to see then I would like to remove mine.

I'm not being rude I just don't think its fair to us (liars) who can't afford it.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:41 AM   #953
Crimping Master

Default My Comments

I've been a member of SCS for about 9 months (I think - without looking at my profile! LOL) and have honestly not looked over the entire site. This morning, I decided to do a little exploring and found the news article AND the Fan Club. I hadn't known about it before today. I have NOT read all of the posts to this forum, but the ones I've looked at are varied in their responses.

I will definately join the Fan Club now that I kow about it.

I've read the article about the problems, and totally understand. The fact tht the foums will be free is wonderful. However, I do have a problem with only Fan Club members being able to upload to the galleries. In effect, that would mean that ONLY Fan Club members could REALLY participate in the weekly challenges. I think that is a shame. There are many stampes out there that can't afford to join, but love to show their work.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts.

Lesley
Old 09-25-2005, 07:17 AM   #954
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinschool
Personally, I wish it were restricted to demo's only who wish to share ideas.
I for one have bought a tremendous amount of stamps and supplies from my SU demo because of the things that I have viewed on this website. There is a demo's only section.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:17 AM   #955
Rubber Obsessor

Default Like the idea

I like the idea of having more items available to paying members. I am a member because I want to support the site, but rarely have time to get through even 10% of the free stuff, let alone the member gallery, etc.

Someone else said this would allow people to actually see more items as they are posted, and I agree. I feel bad when I am looking through cards and they are nice and have no comments- I can just imagine what it must be like to be proud of a card and no one even says "Good Job!"

Maybe a compromise would be to have the challenges be open to all, but then every other challenge, or every third challenge, the cards could be deleted. That would keep the gallery smaller, and if you are a member you could still have it in your gallery if it's something you want people to see.

Has there ever been an announcement asking people to delete older and duplicate style cards from their galleries? Maybe if most members could volunteer to delete 5-10% of their older stuff, it would be helpful too.

Anyway - I like the pay idea - and you could always do a smaller fee for upload and 1st level usage, and still have a fan club at the fees we pay now.

Good Luck with your decision,
Old 09-25-2005, 07:25 AM   #956
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbarnes
I am wondering if I have cards that are not in the main gallery then are people going to have to pay to see my cards? I am not comforable having people pay to see the cards I made. I uploaded cards because they were free for everyone to see. If my cards are no longer free for everone to see then I would like to remove mine.

I'm not being rude I just don't think its fair to us (liars) who can't afford it.

Please see Daven's original post. Non-paying members will still have access to member galleries and technique spotlight gallery. This is just TEMPORARY, it will all go back to being a free for everyone just like it is now after the upgrades.

Old 09-25-2005, 07:30 AM   #957
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorinda
I see some really good suggestions here, but........it is not the forums that are the issue, they are on a diff. seperate server.

Space and file size are not the big problem either, it is the amount of users trying to veiw the gallery at the same time, traffic jam just like rush hour on the freeway.

Limited acces to the gallery is only temporary to get the necasary upgrades in place then all back to normal. Slower and less traffic makes this transition a little easier on Fan Club members and the folks that do all of the behind the scenes work.

Limiting the forums has nothing to do with the gallery issues at hand.

Leaving SCS is not necassary, you can still visit still see the member galleries and the technique gallery and the limitations are temporary.

I encourage everyone to go and read the original post for the most accurate information, and please read it all, the original post that is, not necassarily all of this thread.

I felt the need to quote myself......LOL Many SCS team members have posted on this thread and if you read every word of the original post you will find that having members delete thier galleries or portions there of is not what needs to be done. It is traffic that is the issue and the changes will be temporary. Please Please read the original post carefully.

Old 09-25-2005, 07:55 AM   #958
Watercolor Wizard

Demos Only?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
stampinschool said: Personally, I wish it were restricted to demo's only who wish to share ideas.

Oooooh!!! Definitely a BAD idea! I don't think you realize how many of the talented stampers on this site are NOT demonstrators!

In agree with this!!!! I love to stamp, and come here when I have time for ideas. I do not upload my creations. I love the forums. But, I am not, and never will be a demo. I don't think I am creative enough for that. I teach high school and do not have time for that. I love the ideas that my demo brings to me, but why should I be limited to that? I needed a card for a wedding last weekend, and I didn't call my demo for an idea. I came here to get one.
Think about it. I think you will agree that restriction to demos only is ridiculous. Demos depend on their customers to place orders. Why would you want to stifle your customers' creativity?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:09 AM   #959
Rubber Obsessor

I have not been a member of SCS for long, and I am not a Fan Club member. I didn't even know there was a fan club! I do enjoy the techniques, challenges and looking at member galleries. I belong to a few online groups and access many stamping websites. I also receive many magazines through the mail. I, for one, would not be willing to pay $25 just to see the Dirty Dozen artwork. I may, however, change my mind if there were online classes or directions for specific cards, ATC's, etc. But just to look at more cards? I'd rather spend my $25 on supplies!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:24 AM   #960
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
In agree with this!!!! I love to stamp, and come here when I have time for ideas. I do not upload my creations. I love the forums. But, I am not, and never will be a demo. I don't think I am creative enough for that. I teach high school and do not have time for that. I love the ideas that my demo brings to me, but why should I be limited to that? I needed a card for a wedding last weekend, and I didn't call my demo for an idea. I came here to get one.
Think about it. I think you will agree that restriction to demos only is ridiculous. Demos depend on their customers to place orders. Why would you want to stifle your customers' creativity?
Thank you for posting this. I was a demo. I resigned my demonstratorship. One of the reasons I did with relative comfort was because I KNEW SCS was here as the inspiration I needed. No longer did I feel I had to be a demo to get the 'inside track' on techniques, ideas etc. I've grown much more as an artist through SCS than I did as a demo.

Anyway, with regard to the TEMPORARY (not yelling just emphasis) changes occuring in October..I'm in agreement as well. I think for the short term its fair. Something has to be done in order to slow things down a bit. I'd never complain, but Daven was right, its not fair to those of us who have supported the site financially to be restricted from its use. So, I thank his team for respecting that during this transition time. I've been around a long time through many upgrades and each one is better than the last.

In terms of the future, I believe that no one should have access to the gallery without being a registered user (not neccessarily paid) and being required to log in. Why clog up the pipe with people not willing to identify themselves and be part of the group.

As far as the financial implications to the Noltas, I might get some flames on this, but can we consider SCS as a business for just a moment? As a business, so far its been a bunch of Volunteers as I've seen it. They put in a ton of time for our pleasure, and likely a bunch of their own money to boot. Its clear people love this place. I know I'd never leave and be very disappointed if it was taken away.

If the Noltas decide to make this place a self supporting business, they would have to make some changes that not everyone could support. Some would leave and that's a risk you take in business. Make it generate some continuous revenue in the way of membership fees. That way they could pay their overhead, which would continue to grow, PAY the people who work with them, and themselves, an actual wage for the amount of time they put in, which leads to increased taxes, pay the other stuff that comes with running a BUSINESS.

Do you actually think that a million or so dollars cash flow from 40-50,000 members would go directly into the Noltas pockets while we sit here clicking away at our keyboards and some of us scraping to get our 25.00 together each year??? I hardly think so.

I'd be glad to see this place go to a fee based membership so they would get something for their hard work...I don't know, a nice retirement, educations for their kids, dollars to give back to their community in some way. Its called Capitalism...the American way. I've never met the Noltas, but from what I've heard, they are wonderful, loving, giving people. I know people like that in my own life and when the get $ they tend to give back tenfold. Who is going to benefit from that? WE ARE!

Relax people. It will all work out for the best. Just be patient and for now, the changes are temporary, but people do what they have to do.
Closed Thread