Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 08:20 PM   #801
Rubber Obsessor

I soooooo agree with everyone who says it well worth the money. This morning
I wanted to use the set Santa Post but needed a little inspiration to get me in the groove. My computer was DOWN this site is so much better then a mag. I feel like it's just a bunch of friends sharing and the $24.95 is for using their supplies
Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:22 PM   #802
Embossing Fanatic

Default To pay, or not to pay

I see no reason why you wouldn't have us pay to belong if it will help us to be able to get into the gallery when we want. I pay for the Dirty Dozen so does that mean it would be one fee for access to everything on the site or a fee just to get in the gallery? No problem for a fee but not if it's a fee for each group.
I love this site visit it every day but many times I can't get in to the gallery or, the same pages in the gallery are repeats of the same entries. Thanks for even having such a wonderful site for us to visit. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:32 PM   #803
Polyshrink Goddess

I think that you guys are awesome and I fully support doing what you need to do to crank up the speed during high traffic times. I have not been enjoying the galleries as much as I did earlier in my membership because they have been slow and unreliable lately. I am looking forward to better speed and reliability!

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. Victor Hugo

SeeMyGallery!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:41 PM   #804
Rubber Obsessor

I also agree that is is well worth the money and I totally understand the necessity of the fee. It must take an incredible amount of work and time to keep this site up. I am somewhat of a technological dinosaur so I do not understand all the business of servers and such but can just imagine how much it must cost. I do not have a subscription as of yet and unfortunatly will not for a while. All of my spending $$$ are already committed for the next few months along with Christmas coming. I was hoping to get gift giving ideas. Oh well, I still have a week before the change takes place. I guess I better get busy looking! and I will still have the forums. I will miss the gallery as I look every day and receive wonderful ideas and inspiration. Thank you all so much and I truly appreciate all that you do in keeping this site running! As soon as I am able, I plan to join. I look forward to doing so and finally seeing the DD gallery that I hear so much about. Until then, I will be scouring the member galleries for more inspiration.

Thanks again!

Lori
Old 09-23-2005, 09:07 PM   #805
Hardware Hotshot

I have been following this thread for the last 24 hours. I have to be totally honest, I was a little disappointed to hear we have to pay now. I mean really we all like a little something for free. But the cut and dry of this is that I just don't want to go without the set galleries and uploading cards. I quite often go through insomnia and I can't tell you the how many nights I have found comfort in this website. I get up during the night and don't want to wake the kids or hubby so I don't turn on the TV, I turn on the computer and get comfort from my SCS family. I am truly loyal to my family, and so because of that I just became a fan club member.
Daven and Tracy, thank you for all you do for us.

Mom to Chris (6) & Debbie ( !
Wife to fantastic hubby Don !

Old 09-23-2005, 09:24 PM   #806
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been meaning to join the Fan Club for a while now anyway. The $25 seems like a nominal fee to pay for such a great site with many ideas. I love it here! So limiting the gallery for paid members caused me to get myself in gear and join that Fan Club!

Thanks for such a fantastic site. Your hard work in maintaining, developing, and monitoring this place is very much appreciated.

Clare
Old 09-23-2005, 09:26 PM   #807
Rubber Obsessor

How will new people get to "know" this place? I guess I'm not understanding what will be left free. I have a friend I would like to recommend here and I'm sure there will be more. I totally understand and appreciate the fee, but I'm not getting how additional memberships will be sold. Most people that join have been here a while and know the value...will new people? So, basic question...How does everyone think this will affect new people? I can't imagine stumbling across a new place and be willing to plunk down $25 to see if I like it.

Make sense???
Old 09-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #808
Gabfest Goddess

Well ladies, I have something wonderful to share with you. Some very kind soul read my earlier post to this thread. A few minutes ago, I got an email from Daven saying someone gave me an anonymous membership. And here was the sweet message:

Marlene, as a thank you for all the work you do in the swaps, I would like you to enjoy your membership in the fan club. Hopefully, when you are enjoying the gallery it isn't because you are not sleeping due to the pain. Take care.
A stamping friend.

Well, stamping friend, I wish I knew who you are as I would like to thank you properly. That was truely a wonderful thing to do, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:50 PM   #809
Gallery Gazer

I also couldn't believe this site was free when I first accessed it (two weeks ago!). Since that time, I have been on every day checking out everyone's wonderful creations. I will definitely be signing up to join the Fan Club and certainly think that this site is worth the $25 a year (American, but that's okay ).

I really do think that it would be a great idea to have a three day (or 50 viewings??) trial period for prospective members. It doesn't take long to realize how wonderful and worth it this site is! It might be difficult, though, to weed out people who sign up repeatedly with different names to continue getting trial periods, so it would be understandable if this was not possible.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #810
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cambria
AMEN Shistah!! Julie... YOU'RE DA BOMB BABY!!!!
Bowing again to your greatness Julie...KA-Boom Baby!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #811
Compulsive Stamper

You've heard from so many, but I still would like to respond. I find this site so inspiring, I'm in awe of the many artist who contribute to this site.... people who can look at a stamp and some paper and continually put them together in such creative ways.

It only makes sense to have people pay something to keep all this computer stuff going and to pay you and others to keep things running smoothly. My only concern is that I might miss sending in my money in a timely manner.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #812
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregsgirl707
Well ladies, I have something wonderful to share with you. Some very kind soul read my earlier post to this thread. A few minutes ago, I got an email from Daven saying someone gave me an anonymous membership. And here was the sweet message:

Marlene, as a thank you for all the work you do in the swaps, I would like you to enjoy your membership in the fan club. Hopefully, when you are enjoying the gallery it isn't because you are not sleeping due to the pain. Take care.
A stamping friend.

Well, stamping friend, I wish I knew who you are as I would like to thank you properly. That was truely a wonderful thing to do, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
how cool is that?!?! i had to go find that post....isn't it amazing the people we meet here? wheather we know who they are or not.....

thank you whoever you are!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #813
Matboard Maniac

I wonder if its possible to keep a "mini" gallery of "today's postings" accessible to everyone--I love this feature on the site; other than that I don't mind the temporary limited access, and I don't mind how long it lasts (it can sometimes be pretty time consuming to find longterm solutions).

Thanks to the SCS founders and supporters!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #814
Matboard Maniac

I just joined the SCS fan club a few days ago. Not only is the forum full of information, and the gallery awsome, it's an enjoyable web site. I feel that I have already gotten my moneys worth in the two short months since I've discovered SCS. I will certainly sing the praises of SCS at our next monthly upline meeting.... I'll probably be preaching to the choir.
Fran G
Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 PM   #815
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

We're talking less than 50 cents a week. What a bargain! Come on people
Old 09-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #816
Die Cut Diva

I was happy to contribute $ before and will certainly continue to do so. It will still be less than my magazine subscription!

Question: Does anyone know how we know when it's time to renew??
Old 09-24-2005, 12:34 AM   #817
Glitter Queen

Thumbs up Thanks so much!!!!!!!

I just want to say thanks so much for all your very hard work,my DH is a web designer, and SO TEDIOUS!!!Anyway,I KNOW that 20$$ is indeed a bargain and the site (even limited) is soooooooo worth that, that I support your decision. It will change the traffic?!But change is helpful in so many ways,and you brilliant people will work it out!! Thanks for all the ideas and inspiration!!(and I know for people on a limited budget I would be more than willing to pay for a gift subscription or two!!)
Old 09-24-2005, 01:57 AM   #818
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up works for me

I understand & think that paying/donating $20 is very reasonable.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:19 AM   #819
Stampin' Fool

Talking

I'm in...I can't do without this site. 'Nuff said...................................
Old 09-24-2005, 03:42 AM   #820
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by graupmand
I'm absolutely fine without whatever you need to do in order to keep this wonderful site up and running efficiently. I'm a Fan Club member and have no problem supporting your efforts. The nominal Fan Club fee is nothing... I spend more in a week on coffee than the cost of being a Fan Club member.

Don't fret about your decision - it's the right one to make!

deb
I totoaly agree...these were my exact sentiments (except I don't drink coffee so change that for diet pepsi with lime LOL)
Old 09-24-2005, 03:53 AM   #821
Kookie Creator

I have paid and will continue to pay -- Whatever it takes to keep this site up and running! This website is awesome!! All the wonderful people who share their creativity -- I thank you! And those of you who work so hard to make this site available to us stampin' junkies, my sincerest thanks to you for ALL that you do!
Old 09-24-2005, 03:56 AM   #822
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrettyLikeSun
If you read the bazillion pages up above (and if you did, I admire your stamina), you know that my concern is that we will lose many talented people, and therefore will have many, many less good ideas to see in the gallery that we are all now going to pay for.

So....

If UPLOADING and file space is not the problem, why is it being limited??

I'm fine with restricting the A-Z galleries and all that, but restricting the sharing of ideas just seems so sad to me.
After the gallery issues are resolved EVERYONE will be able to access the galleries again just as they do now, and everyone will be able to upload. The restriction on uploading is just a temporary one. For more info on that, please see Daven's original post, which I've quoted here:
Quote:

Why do uploads have to be restricted for non-Fan Club members?
Since Member Galleries and Technique Spotlight are the only galleries that non-Fan Club members will see, they also won't be able to upload to other categories. Keeping the gallery organized requires us to keep uploads categorized properly and it would be difficult to do this with uploads from non-Fan Club members.
Again, anyone and everyone, regardless of whether they are Fan Club members or not, will have full access to the gallery's A-Z Categories, and upload capabilities.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:18 AM   #823
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjc820
DITTO!!!!!

And honestly, what if they did make money on it? Why on earth shouldn't they? The amount of time and effort they put in to this site certainly deserves some compensation. Maybe some people think that they have nothing better to do than play around with SCS, but that's not the case. The wonderful work they do here is on top of their other jobs, their children, etc. I say if they get enough money to have a little extra after gallery upgrades or whatever are done, more power to them!!
I ahven't read all of the posts in this thread....just trying to browse thru and keep up!

Damn straight Daven and Tracy should make money off this site! I wonder if some people who use all of the free things available on the internet have any idea of what it costs to start a site....maintain it day in and day out.....then make improvements so that it can continue to fuction as time goes by. I created a website a few years ago for my alumni of my high school. I spent my own $$ for the few things I needed....and I probably spent 3-4 hours every single day working on that site for months on end. I asked for donations and once in a blue moon someone would send soemthing....usually that same person sent something the next year as well! I started thinking I'd have a hundred people on the site....and I was getting one or two people signing up a day.....then it was 10 per day....and it continued to grow! I re-vamped so that they could take care of thier own info, etc. but it was still a ton of work! I maintained it (and paid for the $$ needed myself) for a few years.....and then let it go as it was just too much. Now their are sites like reunion.com that offer similar services.....for a fee. The fee is key - websites of any significany size cannot possibly survive without funding. I can't even venture to guess how any hours a day Daven spends on this site! Never mind all of the moderators! I would have no problem learning that Daven was getting a salary! Same for the moderators!
Old 09-24-2005, 04:25 AM   #824
Stampin' Fool

Just a thought for those of you who are SU demos. I had hesitated to share SCS with customers (and now have only shared it with a few!!) because with I wondered if they would stop attending events somewhat because they could just come here and get so many great ideas and samples. I always make it a point to tell poeple that the projects I show them are usually copied from soemone else - I don't try and recreate the wehel - especially whene there are so many great wheels here!!!

If a large portion of the site was available to only paid members, I think I would be more inclined to send people here. I think the customers who are willing to pay to subscribe are the sames ones that pay to come to my events. The ones who won't pay to attened a stamp camp probably aren't going to pay to join a website. Know what I mean?

If SCS offered a referral deal (maybe 1 free month for each paid referral), that would also be an incentive for me to drive other people to the site.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:34 AM   #825
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcer
Again, anyone and everyone, regardless of whether they are Fan Club members or not, will have full access to the gallery's A-Z Categories, and upload capabilities.
Now I think I am getting confused! Non-paid members will have access to the A-Z categories, the meber galeries, and the technique galleries? Are the only things paid members will have additional access to is the Dirty Dozen and the ability to upload? If that is the case - I think you will miss out on a ton of membership money. There will be minimal value to the membership. I think most people come here to see uploads rather than just to upload their own work. The DD galleries are amazing, but I probably view those less - mostly because they are things that are more involved than what I would do myself. They wow me, but I think I spend more time in the A-Z area.

I think it really important that there be a need to subscribe. If the DD and uploads are the only missing things, it would too easy to stay on the free side.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:39 AM   #826
Dirty Dozen Alumni

My last SU order was about $100. My one next month with be about $200. $25 is minimal in comparison to what I am spending on stamping supplies. I'll probably join still. Can you do a 3 or 6 month membership at a reduced price? I think this would be an option many would like?

Sorry if that was already mentioned, I don't have time to read all the posts right now.

JEN
Old 09-24-2005, 04:45 AM   #827
Glitter Queen

I feel that charging a yearly fee to everyone is fair. We all know what a great resource this site is and and it is certainly lots of work. All this does not come cheap. Surely anyone that spends their money on all our toys should not object to a fee that probably equals a couple of magazines or stamps. That is a small price to pay for all the information and ideas found on this site. I really appreciate all the hard work and time involved in keeping things running smoothly. By the way - how do we know when our membership expires?
Old 09-24-2005, 04:47 AM   #828
Stazon Splitcoast

I believe you recieve a notification via email that time to renew your fan club membership is coming soon... that way you have notice to be able to renew and not miss a month!
Old 09-24-2005, 04:49 AM   #829
Rubber Obsessor

I would pay a nominal fee to be able to visit my favorite site.
I get so much inspiration from SCS that I would really miss out
on something great if I didn't.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:52 AM   #830
Glitter Queen

Thumbs up Totally worth it

I get frustrated at the slowness of the gallery at times. When I read that the solution to this is a paysite, I clicked on the link & paid. No problem. To me, the money is worth the valuable resource that SCS has become.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:59 AM   #831
Glitter Queen

I say "Go for it!" This is a wonderful site but sometimes frustrating due to the wait times. If having to require a fee of everyone makes it better, I say "Why wait until Oct. 1st!"

I have never uploaded any projects but I do get a wealth of great ideas from all those who do share. So the aspect of the upload issue does not bother me, ONLY the idea of limiting it to the DD I have a problem with. (If I have come to understand it properly) I think the DD does a fantastic job, I joined the fan club immediately upon discovering this site because I could not wait to see what was behind Door Number One, so to speak. But I do agree that there are many, many more stampers out there with great ideas and inspiration to share as well.

When you look at the cost, everyone is right, $20.00 averaged out over the year is really minimal. I would expect that most people spend that much or more per week on coffee or cigarettes. (NO offense to those who do, my crutch is diet pepsi and is probably just as bad for me) Just purchasing supplies or stamp sets alone to be able to support the stamping habit is at least a $20.00 binge for a one time thing that must be repeated several times during the year to refresh supplies purchase new stamps etc...

I would even go so far to post that it would not be unreasonable for the operators of this site to charge a $20.00 membership fee every year to everyone. Come On, most of you have admitted that this site is FAR MORE VALAUABLE than most of the magazines that are out there! I, too, agree! (And with this membership you don't have all those magazines that you "just have to keep because I might need it someday!" This is much more tidier
The people who maintain this site do a tremendous amount of work and should be awarded for what has been provided to all of us here. I would be willing to bet that there is not one person out there that uses this site that has not benefited in some way due to this site. Charge away, I will pay and pay again if required
Old 09-24-2005, 05:05 AM   #832
Kec
Rubber Obsessor

This site is cheap at twice the price! I can't tell you what a difference it has made in my business and my enjoyment of this craft. I often marvel at how hard you all work and how wonderful all this is and that you do it for little to no compensation.

I am on a tight budget. But part of my budget for stamps and supplies is the fee for the site. This site is more valuable than any idea book, magazine etc.

Do what you think is best. But if you want my vote, make at least part of SCS a fee-based site!

And thank you thank you for all you do!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 05:19 AM   #833
Forum Fanatic

I have never posted anything before but I feel the need to comment at this time. I have been a member for a while now and feel paying only $20 a year (or even $25) is well worth the price. I gave an extra $20 last year just because of what I get here. The ideas and enjoyment I get from this site EVERY DAY are worth every penny. I can't imagine the time and money involved in keeping up a website this big. I didn't buy the latest Take Ten because, for me, this place has many many many more ideas and I very rarely buy any other magazines now. I guess I could consider that is money saved to go towards my next membership. The ideas I get from this website are worth EVERY penny. Thank you so much for all you do!!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 05:24 AM   #834
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=stampin8mom]I have to say that I have spent so much money on scrapbook and stamping magazines, but I find SO MUCH more inspiration here than in any of the magazines I have bougnt. I would gladly forfeit buying my magazines to buy a subscription to SCS!!!!

My thoughts exactly! Well worth the money!

D
Old 09-24-2005, 05:32 AM   #835
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregsgirl707

A stamping friend.

HOW FREAKIN' COOL IS THAT???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See, did I not say that in my first post on this thread? That people will end up gifting others? This place is just the most "AWESOMEST" place.......and this kind of kindness and caring is WHAT MAKES SCS THE BEST PLACE ON THE WEB!!!!!!

Marlene, I'm really happy for you! Sounds like you deserve it!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 09-24-2005, 05:47 AM   #836
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenmouer

IMO I would have it remain a "paid" site for the long haul...

the only suggestions I would have is *if it is possible*

$25 subscription - full access to everything and upload capabilities...

$10 subscription - full access to all gallerys EXCEPT Fan Club gallery and NO upload capabilities...

I do think some galleries should be open to all to see so it could wet their whistles....after all if someone can't play with it how will they fall in love with it and buy it

This is an EXCELLENT suggestion! You definitely need to entice people before they will pay to join.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:54 AM   #837
Kookie Creator

I dont know if this question has been posted in this thread but here it is...
For those who wish not to become a paid member to this site, will they still have access to the forums?
I have subscribed to a few swaps that the due dates are after October 1st. And if access to the forums will be restricted to non members, how will we keep in touch with those people?
Thanks for any and all comments.
ALdona
Old 09-24-2005, 05:56 AM   #838
Stazon Splitcoast

Default economics 101

Of COURSE Davin & Tracy & the team should benefit financially from their awesome concept! That's our American ideal at work. I'm actually surprised that this has been a part of this conversation. I'm a humble school teacher, single parent and neither republican nor democrat. I live on a budget, and I choose where I spend/invest my money carefully. I don't have a cel phone, cable TV, DSL or a new car -- and I'm OK with that -- it was my choice to go into my field. I'd gladly pay $50 - 60 a year for an SCS subscription, it's still an incredible bargain. This site, Davin's concept and Tracy's passion for stamping, has been the source of so much happiness in my life, as someone earlier said -- Davin & Tracy, I hope you become millionaires!

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 09-24-2005 at 05:59 AM..
Old 09-24-2005, 05:57 AM   #839
Stampin' Fool

I'm not thrilled about it, but I understand, IF the galleries are TRULY faster as a result. I paid for a year and got tired of the slowness after all the promises of things improving and being faster (even having DSL doesn't help!), so I didn't renew. But if I were guaranteed it would be faster I think I might consider renewing. Perhaps you could have a graduated scale of cost, like $5 gets you into a few places, $10 gets you into more, $25 gets you into everything....something like that, so everyone could afford something here.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:04 AM   #840
Compulsive Stamper

Default Paid Members Only

Hi,
I only found this web site a few weeks ago, but I really enjoy it. I would have no problem paying $25.00 a year for it, it is better than most of the magazines I subscribe to. I had intended to do it anyway, this will just give me the push I need. Keep up the good work.
Closed Thread