Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #761
Rubber Obsessor

Default Good way to show commitment!

I paid my dues today! This is a TREMENDOUS place and too be honest I knew I should pay and was willing, but never stopped browsing around long enough to find exact details! The message was very well written and honest. The signup is painless and simple!!!!

I love the ideas and friendships I have gained from "visiting". I truly relax and have a blast looking at the galleries and adding to me favorites! Thanks to everybody for making this a great spot!

Keep up the good work
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #762
Insane Embellisher

I wondered how long it would be until this needed to be done. I paid a few months ago because I feel that I get more from this site than from any other place. At $20/year, it is less than many magazine subscriptions and is like getting a new magazine every single day rather than once every month or two. Well worth the price, and hopefully now all of you who work so hard to make this site so wonderful will be able to be better compensated for your time as you deserve to be.

Janna
Old 09-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #763
Glitter Queen

I immediately signed up and paid my member fee after visiting this site just once! I wanted access to all of it immediately because the samples were out of this world and a real inspiration to me. But I do get extremely frustrated and have had to just log off many times because the wait time for just one sample to upload was ridiculous. I think the yearly fee is extremely reasonable, and I can't see how in the world you all do what you do without some kind of money to pay for it all. I guess your decision will not affect me because I will continue to pay my Fan Club membership fee regardless. But I would be absolutely thrilled if you could improve the wait time!!!

Thanks for all of your hard work on our behalf!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #764
Pearl-ExPert

Default Paying for access

is a great idea. It is also a great deal at $25.00 for the year. When I think of all of the money that I have spent on magazines this is such an awesome deal I don't know why anyone wouldn't jump at the chance to be part of the website at this price!!!!!

BTW, Daven and everyone else involved in making this site spectacular, thanks so much for this wonderful site. I truly appreciate it.

Ronda
Old 09-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #765
Matboard Maniac

Do what needs to be done thats best for everyone,if I read right it's only temporary anyways,then it will be a good Experience to all,I'm not a paid member but if thats what it takes then thats what it takes when I have the money I will join and yes for some money is hard to come up with when you bearly make house payment on one income I haven't bought a new set of stamps for about 7 months see and I think its great what their doing !!!!!!!!1
Old 09-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #766
Rubber Obsessor

Didn't I read that membership is now $25???

I am still thinking about "what I think".
Old 09-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #767
Pearl-ExPert

It was $24.95 when I signed up today, but if you think about it you pay that much for a sub. to a craft magazine. Splitcoast has so much more that a craft mag ever could! I say sign up and enjoy the gallery!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #768
Polyshrink Goddess

First of all, I haven't read all of the posts...so if I am repetitive I apologize. I support any decisions made by Daven and Tracy. I would like to send a big thank you to Daven and Tracy for providing this site. I am sending a big thank you to the moderators, Dirty Dozen, behind the scenes people, and anyone I may have forgotten. These lovely people "donate" their time and energy. Not to mention the money that some have to spend. I am grateful they are so giving. A big thank you to the families of the Noltas and their entourage. You are very kind to share them with us. Let's face it, the Noltas and their helpers are sacrificing their time, family time and who knows what else to give us a wonderful sight. I say charge a fee and if you have extra $$$ go spend it on something worthwhile...yourselves and/or your families.

Bonnie
Old 09-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #769
Compulsive Stamper

Cool Well worth it!

Wow! I wonder if my small comment will even be read by anyone- I am not on as much anymore and seem to get in on the tail end of things (I don't mind really)- I have to say, as much as I am not on (by my post amounts you can see) I am also still fairly new as well but love to have the time to just come and browse for hours! The only reason I haven't taken advantage of The Fan Club or such is because my computer time is limited (or has been until recently)- I would gladly pay a fee to have access to the entire gallery! As so many have noted, if we can buy stamps, supplies, accessories, magazines... and so on, we can definitely afford $20- for an amazing site as this! One question I thought of as I was reading many of the posts was this...
Once you make certain portions of the site for paid members only... will those paid members still have possible problems in viewing and uploading? A few other questions to come later, but I will give you all a chance to actually answer those in the updated info we get on this. Once again, I think it is a positive step, if necessary and I think it is definitely well worth it- And, from a fairly new members mouth to those who have enjoyed this site for much longer but feel they may not come if it's "paid"... Just think of your time up til now your "free trial"- I have loved it and could only pop in occassionally! If there are others who have been able to take advantage of much more time here- Wouldn't you miss not having SCS as a reference!!?
~Luv
Old 09-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #770
Glitter Queen

Smile Definitely Charge a Fee

It's a wise decision to charge--I've come to this site regularly and have found tons of great ideas. It's such a small fee and well worth it. Thanks for everyone who put this site together and for all of you that are able to scan your beautiful cards and share them. I love this site. (Only question I have: Shouldn't those who contribute their cards and/or scan them receive some kind of discount???) I'm signed up now also as a Fan Club Member.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #771
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up This site is definitely worth it!

Just tonight I was in a local craft store looking at a new card making magazine. It was $9.95 and I put it back on the shelf thinking, "I can get better designs and ideas from SCS". I joined the fan club a while back because I thought that this site deserved my support. I "lurked" for so long before I posted anything that I began to feel guilty about not contributing. Now I love getting the comments on my uploads! But lately the slow performance has been frustrating.

Personally, I find it amazing that you can redo the software in just one month. I manage a software development team, and none of my guys can do anything in one month!

So you have my vote to go for it, it's a short time and a small price to pay for such a great site! And I encourage everyone who can afford to join the fan club or buy something from the store to do it. This site is definitely worth it!

Old 09-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #772
Polyshrink Goddess

Wink Such a deal!

When I review products & services for my business, I look for the best deal in terms of quality and quantity.
I must say that this site gives me my money worth & more!
Thank you for your time & energy, as the work that goes into this site is incredible!
Karen

Want to see something new? Look at life through the eyes of a child.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #773
Matboard Maniac

Question: Why are file sizes not limited? That would make a HUGE difference in the speed of the server in the gallery. If you have a decent program and know how to edit, you still get a high quality photo in a smaller image size.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #774
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketMom
I have never found a site as comprehensive as this one. I love it and am a fan club member. For only $2/month - it's a steal in my opinion. Most stamping magazines cost more per year and they're not nearly as useful or interactive. With all the tutorials and galleries - I think people would be crazy to NOT come just because there's a fee.
what she said!

plus i'm a "chatterer" on the forums so i really, really like this site!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #775
Matboard Maniac

Wink

The best things in life are not free. Oh, well I guess I'll have to start paying. I love this site. It is much better then the SU demonstrator site. Thanks for my free trial period!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #776
Gallery Gazer

Great idea! C'mon stampers, add up how much you spend in a year on magazines, stamping supplies, travel expenses, etc. and why would anyone hesitate to join the fan club? (The only thing I'm wondering about is why I just paid $24.95, while a number of people in this thread paid only $20.00. Did the price just go up?)
Anyway, the slow speed drives me totally bonkers. I can't stand it, and I am perfectly happy to pay this very reasonable fee to get the site working better. Kudos to all of you who put so many endless hours into running the most fantastic stamping site on the Web! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY

Click here: Splitcoast Gallery - Maddy Mason Gallery

"Friendship isn't about whom you have known the longest, but about who came and never left your side."

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
-Leonardo daVinci

Leave a comment- make someone smile!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #777
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up

I don't know of many people that would have the good grace even to request an opinion on the matter. Kudos for that.

For anyone that wouldn't see the validity of such a move, they possibly don't understand the huge committment, funds and dedication to pull such a resource as SCS off.

Bottom line, no one should expect, or ask, you to do all this work for free. Countless times I have read threads on this site about demos who under-value themselves and "give away the store". Who are any of us to ask that of you?

If this has become your business, and livihood (and why wouldn't it??!!) then it would seem a no-contest issue really.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #778
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by candicek
Question: Why are file sizes not limited? That would make a HUGE difference in the speed of the server in the gallery. If you have a decent program and know how to edit, you still get a high quality photo in a smaller image size.
In the OP, Daven stated that file size isn't an issue with access speed.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #779
GMC
Kookie Creator

Default Another .02 cents

Wow....

Twenty pages and still going strong. I started to submit a reply yesterday and deleted it thinking it was just more of the same. Everyone should read Julie's reply because she really summed up the changes with great clarity and very eloquently too. Thanks for the posting!

After reading Daven's post the first time, it was clear to me that whether or not I chose to pay the membership dues, I would still have access to all the photos in the gallery, although accessing those photos would be a little different depending on whether I chose to become a member. The only thing that non-members will be doing is searching a little differently for photos in galleries and this is only expected to last a short time. As far as members only being able to upload photos, this too appears to be temporary until a more workable solution is found.

Consider something else...the FREE internet mail sites. You are offered a basic service in exchange for nothing--no cost, no obligation, nothing. You have the ability to send and receive emails via the internet. If you choose to upgrade your internet mail service in order to have more storage or features to use, you will pay for it. Not everyone needs or wants extra storage or features but it is available at a cost to someone willing to pay for it. Everyone has a choice. Compare to what might happen in the future with SCS. For no cost, you still have pretty much a basic subscription to the website and access to all member galleries. You may have to search a little more or differently from before, but you still have the ability to connect to and utilize all the site has to offer. For a yearly subscription fee, you have the ability to have access to additional services that non-members don't have. Everyone will have a choice as to what they will do with memberships and no one has to know what another person's circumstances are or are not in terms of joining.

I do not upload photos and I don't post much to the forum. It is an entertaining site and offers a lot of great stamping information and opportunities for internet relationships. Without paying anything myself these last six months, I have certainly gotten way more out of it than I expected. I will send in payment for a year's membership, not because of what it will necessarily give me in return in terms of faster service (I have a fairly quick connection to the internet and am pretty spoiled), but what that fee does do is provide a little bit of monetary support to a group of people that have selflessly spent their own time and money creating a website that has a following of thousands and thousands of users. I am certain that the cost of maintaining the website is gargantuan to what anyone thinks. And on top of it, there are only 24 hours in a day and I am sure that Daven also would prefer to spend time with his wife and family and doing things he loves to do as well. I can only imagine the amount of time that he (and the rest of the team) voluntarily spends trying to maintain this site. As far as him looking at ways to financially support the website, I say he needs to go for it and do what he has to do. Daven and his family should not be expected to foot the bill for this site and he should be compensated for what he does. If he does somehow have a financial windfall from this, great! Great for having a vision and the energy to create something of a stamping phenomenon here on the internet and being duly compensated for it.

As far as everyone's opinions go...yes, everyone is entitled to their own and the rest of us should respect them. Everyone's situation is their own and until we walk in their shoes then we should not make general statements about what people should and should not do. I am lucky as I can purchase what I want when I want and do not have to worry about whether or not I have enough money to pay an unexpected bill or will have to limit the types of food I buy to feed my family in order to spend money on something else. For many people these are very real worries and others should not impart their opinions on them. I doubt that people were doing that maliciously, sometimes is very easy to read a post and interpret it way differently than how it was intended.

In terms of allowing a one month trial subscription goes...I know Daven said he was worried that people would just sign on with new user names on a continuous basis to access the galleries. Now, I am not a techie person, but isn't there a way to create a portion of the website that is a static type spot? Meaning that new users can log into this one portion and be able to see and navigate through a very tiny bit of the website. They won't have access to anything else...that part could contain just enough juicy information and techniques and dynamite samples to show people exactly what the website was. It would not be continuously changing so if people wanted to continue accessing the website, then they would become a member. Maybe dropping the cost of the yearly membership at that point would make it easier for everyone to access the site in that way if there are so many people that may be unable to afford the $25 yearly fee.

Yikes, this has gone on far longer than I intented and who knows if anyone is reading. Thanks for allowing me to put in my two cents and congratulations for getting to the end of my post if you have come this far!!!! :^)
Old 09-23-2005, 06:09 PM   #780
Inking Addict

Default Wait, I don't get this....

If you read the bazillion pages up above (and if you did, I admire your stamina), you know that my concern is that we will lose many talented people, and therefore will have many, many less good ideas to see in the gallery that we are all now going to pay for.

So....

If UPLOADING and file space is not the problem, why is it being limited??

I'm fine with restricting the A-Z galleries and all that, but restricting the sharing of ideas just seems so sad to me.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #781
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Aye

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. I am with you Daven. I hate to see it, but it would also solve a lot of problems. For instance, people who sign up and then don't participate or upload. I think paying will help determine who want to use the site and benefit from it. Another help will be letting you know who is active and who to close out.

Shirley
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Old 09-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #782
Insane Embellisher

I'm trying to gift a membership to a friend, and on PayPal, it won't take "splitcoaststampers.com" as and e-mail address of the payee. I feel like a dork for not being able to figure this out, but I can't remember what it was when I sent in my membership for myself. Who do I send the money to? Thanks in advance for whoever can answer this!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #783
Gabfest Goddess

Well, after reading through several pages of the comments made, I am reminded why I don't stray from the swap forum anymore and get into "discussions" like this anymore.

There is no need to be nasty to anyone. I am also on a very tight budget. I am on disability (permanently disabled) and have a buzzilion health issues that cost a small fortune. And there is only so far I can stretch my social security beneifits I get for being disabled. That is why I became a demo. So I could earn the money to buy my stamps.

I love SCS. I have made some wonderful friends here and got to meet them in august. On nights when I can't sleep because the pain of my RA and fibromyalgia is so bad, you can find me HERE. Searching the galleries and chatting with friends. I can't put a price tag on that.

I have participated in I can't even tell you how many swaps, and am hostessing alot, and have learned so much from all these talented stampers that swap with me. I have had so many wonderful ideas and samples to show my customers that I myself did not have to make. When you have RA and some days your fingers don't want to move, that is again priceless.

Yes, it would be wonderful to not have another expense. But I KNOW that this is expensive to run. And ALOT of work. And Daven and Tracey should make money off of this. I highly doubt any of us would say, okay, let me do all this work, spend all of MY money and deal with all the BS and I don't want any compensation. Get real! I wouldn't do all that even if I did get paid!

Many of you forget, we all are INVITED to participate on this website. Daven and Tracy own it, and are extending an invitation to all of us to be here. If you want to be here, and you enjoy being here, and you are realistic in your thinking, then you will find a way to earn that small fee of $25.00 to be a member. I know I will. And personally, I think it should be permanent,as I know that those extra memberships with those extra dollars will help fund all kinds of upgrades in the future. So now I will sign off and start calling some people and try to get a class or something going. I have a membership to pay for!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #784
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZZach'smom
I'm trying to gift a membership to a friend, and on PayPal, it won't take "splitcoaststampers.com" as and e-mail address of the payee. I feel like a dork for not being able to figure this out, but I can't remember what it was when I sent in my membership for myself. Who do I send the money to? Thanks in advance for whoever can answer this!
[email protected]
Old 09-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #785
Matboard Maniac

I didn't take the time to read all of the posts, so I may be repeating what someone else already said. Anyway, I believe that this is the BEST stamping website out there. Thanks to Daven and Tracey, for all your hard work, and your monetary committment to this site. I feel honored to be a member of such a great community.

Having said that, I say do what you have to do to make the galleries run smoother, I would be more than willing to help. My subscription is gonna run out soon and I am DEFINATELY!!! going to renew.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #786
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by candicek
We have our software set to resize images, and have actually reduced the final file size quite a few times in an attempt to reduce the bandwidth. It actually resizes all larger images for us. I think where it is now is pretty great, and any smaller, we'd end up needing a magnifying glass.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:43 PM   #787
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up Splitcoast would be a bargain at twice the price!

I am feeling embarrassed and selfish! Considering the countless hours I have spent on your fabulous site getting inspiration, seeking help, learning new techniques and simply marveling at the creativity of those who upload photos, I should have joined months ago! You deserve to be compensated for your obvious dedication and the herculean work you do to keep SCS going. Still, you are only asking us to help defray the costs of making the site faster and responsive to our needs! Thanks for everything!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #788
Rubber Obsessor

I think it is a good idea. Thanks for such a great site.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #789
Cardstock Collector

I have been in the stamp and scrapbook business since 1995, and currently work for a company that manufactures stamps and scrapbook supplies. The main part of my job is the creative end. I have purchased almost every stamping related magazine or how to book I could get my hands on starting in the late 1980s (and have written idea books, done all of the samples for a number of catalogs, etc.). I visit dozens of websites every month looking for what's new. My point is that I have never come across such a wonderful website or resource as this site (thanks, Lana!). The talent displayed here is astounding, and it is truly a great community! I had just joined the Fan Club yesterday, before I saw this thread, and one of the reasons I joined was because I think it's important to contribute to this site in order to keep it going. I understand the expense involved in keeping this website up and running, and I hope most people will be able to pay a membership fee. It is really such a small amount to pay - one magazine subscription would probably equal the price of membership, and the rewards are so much better! Thanks for an awesome website, and you have my support.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #790
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

I only read about 9 pages.

I have been one of those lazy a$$e$ who never joined the fan club. But I will do it.

I used to look at lots of other stamping sites for ideas before I found SCS. I had about 30 of them in my favorites folder. They were all free, no forums, just to look at, no uploads on my part.

So.... do I want to go back to that?

NO!

I did like the people who pointed out that once you have paid customers, they'll start demanding things - saying "well, I paid, but the gallery is down, I want a rebate." LOL

Nah, you guys are better than that, right? We'll all be one big happy family.

And hopefully this will generate enough income so that they can get it fixed and go back to being free.

I'm not going to worry about the talent we won't see if people don't join. If it's a matter of finances, hopefully they can scan their stuff and keep it until it's back to free. There are all sorts of ways around it, right? Just wait... etc.

Anyway, it's okay with me, it's very logical and I love logic.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Old 09-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #791
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't got time to read through all the responses on this but have read many.

I am a member and it was the best $20 (now $25) I ever spent! Better than any magazine subscription and I get new ideas all the time....not just once a month and access to all archives. A very small price to pay. My only complaint is the frustration with how slow the gallery is.

The only comment I have is that I didn't know I "needed" to become a member until I was on the site and saw what it had to offer. I'm afraid that new people won't realize how cool this site really is and be willing to pay right away, I like the idea of a trial membership but understand Daven's comment about mulitple user names. I wish we could come up with a way to let people trial it so they'd know it was worth every penny and more to join.

Do we have an estimate on how long the "fix" will take??

Thank you for this site and for doing what needs to be done to make it so great!
Old 09-23-2005, 07:06 PM   #792
Polyshrink Goddess

I gladly paid the $20 before it was "required" and will gladly continue to pay this whether it is "required" or not. I too am a SAHM on a budget...but what I get here as far as inspiration and business wisdom is worth much more.

Thank you for all that you do!
Old 09-23-2005, 07:25 PM   #793
Kookie Creator

I looked at doing this the day I joined (only two days ago) and as soon as DH gets paid I am joining!! The work that goes into this site must be staggering. I am amazed you didn't start charging before this.

Alright! Who took my coffee cup??
Old 09-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #794

There! I did it! And that fast, I'm looking at the fan club gallery!
WOOT! (As my DD would say.)

LOL

Old 09-23-2005, 07:28 PM   #795
Rubber Obsessor

Default Hmmmmmmmm

Growing pains are good! I figured due to the photos & what it takes to run them we'd have to pay with $ anyway.

In Nov of ' 04 I joined to see the Dirty Dozen just that alone has been worth the $. =)
Old 09-23-2005, 07:30 PM   #796
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up Do what you need to do, I am with you

Do what ever it is you need to do, I need my SCS fix! If there is a way to keep all the talent uploading....that would be a plus. I can't help feelling "things will never be the same" But I know that no matter what things will be great, The People in charge don't seem to ever settle for less! Thanks to all of the worker bees and the helper bees and the king and Queen bee for being such hardworking people.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:46 PM   #797
Glitter Guru

Thumbs up I agree

It's $20 a year. I think that is a good price. It is totally worth it. I get many ideas and learn so much here. I am not a fan club member and I was bummed when I first read the announcement. But then I was thinking . Hello??? It's 20 bucks. Join Rochelle Join. You know you want to. So, I will. I want to be able to see the galleries and show off mine. I think it is the right decision.

Thank you for all you do for this site. I love it. And I love you guys that keep it running. You all do a great job, keep it up!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #798

Actually, it's $24.95 now. I know, I just joined.

Best twenty-five bucks I'll ever spend.
Quote:

Originally Posted by shutterbug2124
It's $20 a year. I think that is a good price. It is totally worth it. I get many ideas and learn so much here. I am not a fan club member and I was bummed when I first read the announcement. But then I was thinking . Hello??? It's 20 bucks. Join Rochelle Join. You know you want to. So, I will. I want to be able to see the galleries and show off mine. I think it is the right decision.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:56 PM   #799
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
There! I did it! And that fast, I'm looking at the fan club gallery!
WOOT! (As my DD would say.)

LOL
WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:16 PM   #800
Glitter Queen

Very well stated. If I got half the inspiration for twice the price, it would still be the best bargain in town. You rock.
Closed Thread