Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Good idea! Like many others said, I have been staying away from the galleries lately because they've been so slow. The fee to be a Fan Club member is not a lot. For those who think that the fee will cause the site to lose a lot of stampers, I don't think so. Think about it - if you like the galleries, you probably like to stamp. That means you need to buy the supplies to make stamped creations. The cost of the Fan Club for a WHOLE YEAR is less than some SU stamp sets cost! What a bargain!

Now - how do I find out when my Fan Club subscription expires? Can anyone tell me? I'd hate to bother Daven with a PM as I'm sure he'll be getting a deluge of them already!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #42
Die Cut Diva

I'm with most who agree you have to do what you have to do! I'm all for it, especially if it will make my gallery experience faster! I could hardly believe it was free to begin with, so I think it's a perfectly fine decision. As someone else stated, as much money as we spend on stamping supplies, $25 should be cheap!
I say, go for it! There will always be those who don't understand and want to complain because they want something for free.

My gallery
My blog!

Old 09-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #43
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by tish101
you could afford to "save" a bit here and there and come up with $20 per year. That's only $2.60 per week. I.
The fan club is actually $24.95 or $2.07 a month or 47.9 cents a week!

Old 09-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #44
Polyshrink Goddess

I have mixed feelings. I am not a Fan Member (yet) i have not been around long enough to make that decision, but i can see becoming a member int he future. I (personally) don't know how i would feel if i have (already) uploaded pictures to the gallery and not wanting to pay to view, but then having others view what i have previously uploaded. I do like the idea of different levels of membership. Maybe charge a small(er) fee to just view the gallery but no other fan club benefits. Before i was 'locked out' of the gallery i would want the option of joining the fan club and/or having my uploaded images removed.......off to review fan club benefits
Old 09-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #45
Polyshrink Goddess

I think that you have to do whatever is necessary. This is an amazing site and I have learned more and gotten more great card ideas from here than I could have ever imagined.
That being said, the only problem with a "pay only" site is that new people may not fully understand the value of this site. Could you do a 60 day free membership? That would get them hooked and then they'd understand the incredible value of SCS.
Also, I'm hoping that the membership fee will remain reasonable (it certainly is now!) . . .
I too will miss the card uploads during October but again, you need to do what you need to do.
I think you guys do a fabulous job and it is more appreciated than you probably know.
Thanks!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #46
Hardware Hotshot

Talking Math!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tish101
I can't really give you a cost that would be prohibitive, but $20 is certainly VERY reasonable. For those who say that some people may not have the money to pay: Do you stamp? Do you buy stamping supplies? If you can afford to buy those, you could afford to "save" a bit here and there and come up with $20 per year. That's only $2.60 per week. I'm sure EVERYONE on this site has "wasted" at least $2.60 per week.
$20 a year is reasonable. $2.60 a week is $135.20! It's $1.66 a month!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #47
The Digi-Freak

Hey y'all! It is $24.95/year now! That was changed this summerish

Old 09-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #48
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketMom
I have never found a site as comprehensive as this one. I love it and am a fan club member. For only $2/month - it's a steal in my opinion. Most stamping magazines cost more per year and they're not nearly as useful or interactive. With all the tutorials and galleries - I think people would be crazy to NOT come just because there's a fee.
I totally agree on you can't get this many ideas from a catalog for this price! I finally broke down and paid for the fan club this month and I have already got my $24.95 worth!

I also think the demo section is worth all the advice and ideas in that forum.
SCS #11408
Old 09-22-2005, 12:47 PM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

I think that the only unfortunate thing here is that Daven and Tracey didn't charge a subscription fee from the very beginning. I can't even begin to imagine all the hours and expense they have sacrificed for this site since its inception. I know that we are all fun to hang around with, but fun times don't pay the bills. This has to be a very difficult announcement to make. For what it's worth, you have my full support.
I know that for many people, money is *very* tight. Maybe you could ask for a subscription for an upcoming birthday, or Christmas.
I hope we don't lose any of our members, and that everyone can find a way to pay the yearly subscription rate. I gave up my subscriptions to other craft magazines. I just don't need them now that I have SCS. Thanks, Daven!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #50
Insane Embellisher

Talking

(Two thumbs up!)
Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #51
Pearl-ExPert

I feel I've definately gotten my membership fee's worth! I know it's a hard decision but to me it's worth it to have the images load faster. I love being able to search a subject like "baby" & get baby cards. There are other gallery sites out there but SCS is by far the BEST!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #52
Hardware Hotshot

Cool $24.95!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
Hey y'all! It is $24.95/year now! That was changed this summerish
WHATEVER! Still well worth it!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #53
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Yup, that's me and WILLIE NELSON!!! (insert heart here!) :)

Honestly, I figured it was only a matter of time! I will pay my yearly fee and buy cute shirts until I am unable to anymore! Thank you so much for providing us with a place to share our love of stamping! There is no magazine, store or website that even compares to this! You have my support!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #54
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by azure722
What happpens if you get TONS of new members though? Will that give the dollars to expand the server?
I was wondering the same thing!

I think it's the way things have to be for now. I know I will renew my membership! I hope others will join! Maybe we should have an "upgrade" drive!
There are other sites on the web similar to this, but not a single one of them are as great as this one! Part of what makes this site great is the fact that there are so many members! Maybe a two tiered subscription is the way to go!
Thanks for all you do, you guys rock!

Old 09-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #55
Polyshrink Goddess

I totally get the decision to go this route. It has to be a great personal cost to run this site, I get that! For me, the membership cost is not a big deal (I don't think its too high), but what I get in return. The gallery is fantastic, if you have time for it. Most of the time, I just don't have the patience so I don't go over there. I haven't signed up as a fan yet BECAUSE of the slow gallery. I have been waiting to see if it gets better. If this will make it run faster, then yes I would sign up in a heartbeat. However, won't a TON of people sign up and then you are where you were before? Or, as someone else said, will the additional $$ for the increased memberships fund the beefier servers or software that is needed?

Thanks!!

Denise
Old 09-22-2005, 12:54 PM   #56
Die Cut Diva

Ok so I have been behind the times for I jsut learned about the gallery thing. I am a member already so it doesn't affect me personally but I don't think I will send as many people here till they are totally into stamping where they would appreciate the $20 fee. I will continue to subscribe when it is time to renew but then again I'm an addict so whatelse am I suppose to do.

I do have to say that I barely go to the gallery anymore due to the slowness so it would be great to have that moving faster.

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #57
Desmond's Darlin'

As a fan club member, it doesn't bother me...I feel for those who would have limited access. But, $20 is not much to ask, so come on ladies Pay Up! You gotta Pay to Play, right?

Old 09-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #58
Matboard Maniac

Honestly, I am a member, and I find myself hardly EVER going to the gallery (even though I LOVE to) because it is so freakin slow! I've paid for something I rarely use. That's frsutrating. The only thing I am curious about is...what if EVERYONE pays, won't we just be back to the same problem again?? I'm a bit confused about this part.

I'm sure this was a hard decision for you guys, and I appreciate your consideration. I'm sure you are going to have people upset at you over this...but nothing is free, and you guys deserve to be compensated for ALL the things you do. SCS is the best website around, and the gallery access is worth WAAAYY more than $25/year in all the ideas that are there.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #59
Kookie Creator

Smile

I signed up to be a demo last year in October, my up-line told me to go to this site right away and as soon as i started looking at everything I paid to be in the fan club. And I've also bought 2 shirts to support this site too. I don't mind paying at all. It's totally worth it! I did have a question about a week or 2 ago and i didn't get any responses; will we get a reminder when our "dues" are due? I know for sure for myself that it would be at the end of October but for those who did sign up and later paid is there away to track that. Just to make sure that the wonderful site is getting it's $$$.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #60
Kookie Creator

Default Paying for the Gallery

I visit this site everyday, but rarely post to the forums, but in this case I wanted to add my voice in support of the decision to charge for gallery access. I am happy to pay $25 per year for access to the gallery. Thanks for all you do to make this site the most happenin' stamp site ever.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampers
Answers to some questions

How much is a Fan Club subscription?
Fan Club subscriptions increased slightly this year, to $25 for 12 months.

Will non-paying members lose all access to the gallery?
Non-paying members will still have access to Member Galleries and Technique Spotlight galleries.

Is this change permanent?
The gallery will be free and open to all again, once our software and servers are able to handle the traffic load. The Fan Club galleries will always remain part of the benefit for paying members.

Are you making this change for financial reasons?
No! We hate it for financial reasons! We hate the fact that anyone might consider leaving us because they don't wish to pay a fee to access the gallery.

We're making the change for two reasons. First, it's not fair to our paying members that they pay for an inferior experience. Second, our servers and software are unable to handle our current traffic load. The only way the gallery can remain functional is to reduce the load until we can get further improvements in place.

It is not a total loss for those who can not or choose not to pay for fan club memberships, but there is definatly incentive to do so. I think I will re-new my membership today.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #62
Forum Fanatic

I think this is a great idea. I support whatever decisons you need to make to continue to run this incredible website. This site is hands down the most awesome source of inspiration around! I come here many times a day to read the forums, to look at the gallery and to participate in the challenges. This site is worth so much more than $25 to me! I have learned so much here! I say do whatever needs to be done to keep it going! And thank you for all you do!

Last edited by mocjen; 09-22-2005 at 01:06 PM..
Old 09-22-2005, 01:02 PM   #63
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampers
On October 1, SCS will temporarily begin restricting most gallery access to Fan Club members only.

Is this change permanent?
The gallery will be free and open to all again, once our software and servers are able to handle the traffic load. The Fan Club galleries will always remain part of the benefit for paying members.
It's only temporary! I think everybody's getting a bit excited here...
If you can't afford it, Daven's talking about the change being just for awhile.

and they all lived scrappily ever after - my blog

Last edited by elliesmom; 09-22-2005 at 01:08 PM..
Old 09-22-2005, 01:02 PM   #64
Sawyer lovin' LOSTie

$25.00 is nothing compared to what you all do for this site and us. I say do what you have to do.

I appreciate all you guys do for us, and I really don't know how you guys do it, but thanks for everything.

Last edited by LotRFan; 09-22-2005 at 01:44 PM..
Old 09-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

Oh dear! My DH will be gloating. He saw this coming!

I totally understand why this is happening and I support you, Tracy and Daven.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #66
Splitcoast Group Leader

Smile Sorry to see it come to this

I have loved this site and recommended it to others. The best thing about it was the fact that it was free. Charging a fee will change the dynamic drasticly. I never had a fear about submitting something that might not be "worthy" because of the spirit of friendship that prevailed. I loved it as a site for stampers not just demos or crafters who make a business of their hobby. I am a SAHM with a VERY LIMITED INCOME. My stamping has been an outlet for me, but I had to be very choosy about my supplies and what projects I wanted to try. The fee you are suggesting is the cost of some of the larger stampsets from SU. Since the new catalog came out, I have only purchased 2 sets and less than $50 in supplies. I fear you will ruin the spirit of this site with this decision.
Other ways to help the site:
More sponsorships (banners don't bother me)
Limit file size for uploads -- many PAID sites do this!
Limit the number of photos a "non-member" may have in their gallery (I would be happy to rotate a selection of say 24 photos maximum)
Check to see if some of the magazines would be interested in paying to publish some of the tutorials you have featured on the site.

Please Please PLEASE reconsider this decision.
thank you,
Debbie

Old 09-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #67
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonbelle
Thank you so much for providing us with a place to share our love of stamping! There is no magazine, store or website that even compares to this! You have my support!
I wholeheartedly agree!! I will do my part and more stamping & monetarily to support this site. There are not enough words in any dictionary to relay the thanks I and I am sure others feel towards you, Daven & Tracy for having this site!!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #68
Stampin' Fool

I have mixed feelings on this decision. I am very disappointed because I love to browse the gallery. I have intended on uploading to create my own gallery. But I am not very computer savvy so I don't know how to do this. Due to the same lack of computer knowledge I don't know what goes into running SCS. It is obviously a lot of work, and I do appreciate that. As for the paid fan club, I have wanted to join, in fact I went to do it and saw the price had gone up to $25.00. I couldn't justify that! (I know, I know everyone says it's worth it)! I am curious do some of the behind the scene people get paid? Can someone sort of break down how the money is used. How many paid members are there? I am hoping this decision IS only temporary!!!!! I do love this site from both points of checking out cards, and also discussing any number of different topics with other members. I'll be waiting for the new improved yet free SCS that I've grown to love. Thanks for all the hard work everyone.

Dina
Old 09-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #69
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm for this move. I understand that there will be people frustrated by this decision, many probably feel that they shouldn't have to pay to share their work, however, keep in mind that there is no upload limit. I've only been here for a year, and my gallery has reached over 7 MB. There's not too many places that allow such free internet storage. As soon as I started coming here practically every day, I felt obligated to make the donation(and the DDD was a lovely 'consequence'). I understand limited funds. I am a university student just squeaking by not needing student loans, I make less than $10K a year, but it's really not too hard to manage $25 for a whole year!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #70
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

You gotta do what ya gotta do.

My concern: will new people be willing to join when they can't see what they're missing if they don't? Also, will customers be interested in paying to view when they come to your demo and just spent $50 on stuff? Not so sure...
Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 PM   #71
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up

I am all for it! Maybe now I can enjoy going to the gallery again. I am surprised it has been free this long. I will renew when my time comes. You get what you pay for here, a great website and a great place to come and share and learn.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #72
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmax
I have mixed feelings on this decision. I am very disappointed because I love to browse the gallery. I have intended on uploading to create my own gallery. But I am not very computer savvy so I don't know how to do this. Due to the same lack of computer knowledge I don't know what goes into running SCS. It is obviously a lot of work, and I do appreciate that. As for the paid fan club, I have wanted to join, in fact I went to do it and saw the price had gone up to $25.00. I couldn't justify that! (I know, I know everyone says it's worth it)! I am curious do some of the behind the scene people get paid? Can someone sort of break down how the money is used. How many paid members are there? I am hoping this decision IS only temporary!!!!! I do love this site from both points of checking out cards, and also discussing any number of different topics with other members. I'll be waiting for the new improved yet free SCS that I've grown to love. Thanks for all the hard work everyone.

Dina
The cost of web server & bandwidth space is ASTRONOMICAL! they have to pay for every click we make on this site! That's where the $$ goes!

Old 09-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #73
Matboard Maniac

I am a member of the Fan Club thanks to a gift subscription, but I will have no problem renewing my membership when it comes due!! I have learned so much from this website, been so inspired by all the artwork here, and met some really great ladies too. I wear my SCS shirt proudly and would continue to do so even if I could no longer afford to subscribe to the Fan Club.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

My local Christian music radio station is having their annual pledge drive (it's 100% listener-supported as required by their FCC license), and I decided it was time for me to step up and become a monthly supporter since I have been tuning in for two years now. Only 5% of the estimated 200,000 listeners in the Savannah area are financial supporters of the station.

Bottom line, if you enjoy what the gallery has to offer and can afford the membership fee without it being a financial harship, you need to pay up. Daven has said that it was a hard decision to restrict gallery access like this, and I'm sure if there was some other way to keep this site running smoothly he would have gone that route. Right now it looks like we either need to have people start joining the fan club or live with things the way they are. If Daven and Tracy can't afford to keep up with the booming membership and increase in traffic, they may have to take it down!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #75
Mad Swapper

I do not post often anymore, but really want to add my two cents here. I was blessed with a gift subscription at Christmas and have loved it ever since. Now that I have the subscription, I will certainly maintain it. You just have no idea how good it is until you experiance it. I have to agree that this site is WAY better than any magazine I have gotten. Go for it....selfishly, I want faster downloads!!!

"Somebody's got to be unafraid to lead the freak parade!"
-Big and Rich

My Gallery

Project 365 - Check it out!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:12 PM   #76
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thumbs up Yes!

Yes, yes, yes!!! Thank you for making this difficult decision. I must confess, as a paying member I was starting to have my first "grouchy thoughts" about SCS due to my frustration with the gallery experience lately. Having access to Member and Technique Spotlight galleries, along with the many other great features available on SCS, is still a tremendous benefit for those who don't pay a penny.

And I also agree with Fan Club members only uploading to the gallery.

Bottom line for me is, please do whatever it takes to keep this site up and thriving. And a BIG THANKS for all you do for so many of us.

Linda

My Gallery
Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #77
Die Cut Diva

Honestly, I am a member, and I find myself hardly EVER going to the gallery (even though I LOVE to) because it is so freakin slow! I've paid for something I rarely use.

I agree totally with the above sentiment. I haven't been going to the gallery for a while, and I'm a paid member also. I just don't have the time to wait...and forget about leaving a comment! Takes WAY too much time - which is unfortunate. I love to compliment all the beautiful work.

I'm in total agreement with your decision. Count me in.
Sandy
Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #78
Hardware Hotshot

I found SCS last summer & joined the fan club after browsing around a few weeks. However, when my subscription came due this past summer I left it go & didn't renew.

Why? Didn't I still love this site?

Of course I did! But accessing the gallery was so slow & tedious not to mention frustrating, that I felt I wasn't benefiting use of the DD gallery at all. And since the site was free except for access to the DD gallery of which I wasn't seeing - why renew?

If encouraging folks to be members by restricting access will bring in more money - therefore giving funds to improve the gallery......then I'm behind that.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #79
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
The cost of web server & bandwidth space is ASTRONOMICAL! they have to pay for every click we make on this site! That's where the $$ goes!
Kimberly - you're so friendly and diplomatic - thank you! You have managed to answer a number of questions on this thread with a simple exclamation-pointed sentence, whereas I would have gone on a long rant defending the decision, justifying the cost, etc. etc. and I would have made some enemies. So thanks!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #80
Insane Embellisher

I think that's totally reasonable! I know that there will be people who will leave, but I don't think there's anyplace on the web that is as well organized and as comprehensive as Splitcoast! I think it's completely worth $25 a year, and I consider this one of my "magazine" subscriptions! This is one subscription that I "read" from front to cover many times over!!!

Thanks to everyone who makes this site work! We all really do appreciate the hours of dedicated work that go into keeping this site up and running!
Closed Thread