Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 12:58 PM   #681
Mad Swapper

I'm already a fan club member and I think the yearly fee is well worth it, but I do have one question. I will often email a gallery link for a cool card to friends so they can check it out.......will they still be able to follow the link if they aren't members?

I also agree with what some others have said about people not realising the value of the site when they first come here, and I worry that some will intially be turned off by the membership fee. It took me atleast a month or so to decide to become a member, and if the first time I had come here I had to pay a fee with out knowing/experiencing what I was getting I might not have joined. Of course now that I "know" what a good resource this site is I would join it a heartbeat if I hadn't already.

Whatever you decide to do I'll continue to be a fan club member and good luck getting everything worked out!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #682
Matboard Maniac

First of all, although I'm not a very vocal member of SCS and don't even have a gallery of my own, I DO appreciate SCS. More than that, I appreciate all the work that goes in to making this site what it is.

In reading your reasons for this change it is clear that the decision was not made lightly, or easily. I'm sure you are all doing what you feel is best for the site and its members.

That said, I really don't want to see the gallery become 'paid'. Like many others I'm on a very tight budget. I won't even subscribe to, or buy, any of the scrapbook/stamping magazines in the stores - not just because of the budget being tight, but also because I know I get my BEST ideas from SCS!

Frankly, I'd much rather see the forums become 'subscription only' (heck, there are a few forums I'd even be happy to see go away permanently) rather than have the gallery become for subscribers only.

Of course, I'm not a 'techie' person, so I don't even know if that is a feasible solution that would make the galleries run more smoothly. Still, you asked for feedback, and that is mine.

Thanks again for all you do!

"I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to."
"When we forgive, we free ourselves from the bitter ties that bind us to the one who hurt us."
Old 09-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #683
Glitter Queen

Default done

well, I did my part I took off all of my pictures that I have submitted to this site..if I can't see without paying no sense in having any of my cards posted here. You all might want to go to simply sentiments site they have a really quick download time. Perhaps they have a corporate sponsor to help defray the cost and upkeep.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #684
Glitter Queen

Default just a thought

why not contact Stampin up and ask for money from them since this site seems to use most of there products and they really don't have cards posted to there site. Seems to me this site does a lot to promote their products. Just a thought
Old 09-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #685
Insane Embellisher

I'm sorry I have been slow in joining, I just sent my $25. today, by snail mail.... I have learned so much and have been shown so much goodness by others who frequent SCS, can't image life without access.

You guys are the best and this site is priceless!

...no matter where you are, there you are! my gallery
Old 09-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #686
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Quote:

Originally Posted by missclickie
well, I did my part I took off all of my pictures that I have submitted to this site..if I can't see without paying no sense in having any of my cards posted here. You all might want to go to simply sentiments site they have a really quick download time. Perhaps they have a corporate sponsor to help defray the cost and upkeep.
Everyone can still see their member gallery even if they are decide not to become a member. You can even send your friends and customers to your site for free by giving them this link:

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/username.

You can see other stampers member galleries the same way. All you won't be able to do is go into the alphabetic gallery. That also is only restricted as long as Daven needs to fix the speed of this site. He has stated several times that he is planning on keeping this a free site. Bless this man!

That so many people donating right now and giving us so much support makes me all verklempt. SCS is more then just a website....it's a place to hang with friends. I love it here and I am sure to stay. I really appreciate all the kind words for us worker bees!

Hugs and a big wide smile

my gallery - my blog
Old 09-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #687
Crimping Master

hmmm, sometimes I wonder why people are so childish with things they choose to post. I'm sure I will get 100,000 flames for that sentence, but I don't care. I just don't understand it. Tracy and Daven have basically given (self subsidised) this wonderful resource for us, they ask for help in defraying some of the cost in upkeep, and so many people have gotten their panties in a wad and decided to "show them", removing their downloads and vowing to never come back. Well, your loss!

Ok, off my soapbox and hiding under a flame proof blanket now!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #688
Pearl-ExPert

When you compare the price to what you would pay for magazine subscriptions, and it would be more than one to equal what is found here- it's a huge bargin. Plus you get to "talk" to others. I've been thinking about joining, guess the decision has been made easier.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:18 PM   #689
Stampin' Fool

I agree that everything has a cost. Nothing is free. That being said I do SU as a fun thing and a way to make it possible to buy stamps because I am on disability and would never be able to take any amount of $$ out of that small check to pay for my stamps. I really hope there is a way to make this a free site again. I will be waiting patiently and hoping that I am able to go to work again someday!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #690
Embossing Fanatic

Wink I wanna stay, so I'll gladly pay!!

I should have done this months ago, but being a procrastinator, I never got around to it, BUT, I am not going to put it off another minute. This is a valuable site and I look to it so often, that I want to make sure it stays.
Thanks for all the hard work and great inspiration!!

Last edited by Heather Fritzke; 09-23-2005 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #691
Gabfest Goddess

Man, I hate it when it gets so heated.....

My opinion only:

I don't think any one who's posted here is "looking down" on those who truly can't afford this site. I could almost *bet* that some of these people will be gifted with a subscription to the gallery.....wouldn't be the first time! I think that by breaking it down into a "daily cost" just helps show that it truly is affordable for most everyone. I know that for myself, I can justify it because things I learn here help my sales....which help my profit....which help me grown my business. A year ago when I joined, I had to be careful because SCS caused great hardship.....I wanted it all and couldn't have it! LOL!! But the resources here are so helpful it's priceless. I've given up 2 magazine subscriptions since joining this site because I get much more from here.....

I think the "tiered" levels of membership, although a great idea, would only create more of a workload for an already overworked group of people who donate their time, energy and creativity to keep us all happy and inspired. I think the point here is to make it easier on them, not give them an overload. I could be wrong here, but I just think that administratively it could become a nightmare for all concerned.

Also, I think that a lot of you who are reacting "harshly" haven't fully read the original post......that it's temporary.....and that you can still see member galleries which effectively will show you everything EXCEPT the DDD gallery, pretty much! And remember, the DDD gallery was a GIFT for DONATING to help support the site.......not a "subscription" per se.

And last of all.......if Daven and Tracy make a buzillion dollars from here...I bet they'd sink a good portion of it back into this site. I don't think they'd have given of their OWN TIME AND MONEY for this long if they didn't hope one day it could become their nest egg. Bet first thing they'd do is start paying their "volunteers" such as Beate, Jenn, JulieHrr, the mods, etc.

I can't think of what my life would be like if I hadn't found this website. I've got the GREATEST group of friends, friendships here have become a really really important part of my life (I'm in an isolated area and 90% of my friends have moved away). I can NEVER thank Daven & Tracy enough for it! I got to meet a bunch of fantastic friends at Regionals......met a lot of SCSers there too, and it was one of the BEST DAYS I've ever had. And I owe it all to Big D and Tracy.....cuz we'd never have met "in real life" if it weren't for them!

So Daven, Tracy and team.......if it needs to be a pay site, then make it so. I couldn't support you more if I was standing beside you (with a lighter, swaying, but no peace pipe for me, thanks! LOL!!). You've done an amazing thing with this site. YOU GO! Thanks for continuing to let us play in your yard!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 09-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #692
Inking Addict

Default people should not be passing judgement on others

I am really disgusted and sad that some people have decided that because to them 25.00 isn't alot, those who don't pay are just cheap. that seems to be the common thread. It's just disenheartening to see people being mean to those of us who are on a fixed income. How do we afford our stamps? through budgeting and making planned purchases. Do I sit down and order what ever I want from the catalog? Heck no! wish I could. I don't blame the owners of this site at all, but it's just sad that people here have to get on their high horses and look down their noses at those of us on fixed incomes.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:24 PM   #693
Die Cut Diva

Location: On a tropical island with white sand beaches and crystal clear water...oh wait that's just a dream

No need for a flame proof blankie...AMEN to what you said!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by coribravo
hmmm, sometimes I wonder why people are so childish with things they choose to post. I'm sure I will get 100,000 flames for that sentence, but I don't care. I just don't understand it. Tracy and Daven have basically given (self subsidised) this wonderful resource for us, they ask for help in defraying some of the cost in upkeep, and so many people have gotten their panties in a wad and decided to "show them", removing their downloads and vowing to never come back. Well, your loss!

My avatar is the card with my most comments EVER...thank you everyone!

Tracy~Proud Mom to Kyle, Daniel, Logan, & My twin miracles...Adam and Jayson
Old 09-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #694
Babe-Alicious!!

Thank you, someone else who understands!
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornbeagles
I am really disgusted and sad that some people have decided that because to them 25.00 isn't alot, those who don't pay are just cheap. that seems to be the common thread. It's just disenheartening to see people being mean to those of us who are on a fixed income. How do we afford our stamps? through budgeting and making planned purchases. Do I sit down and order what ever I want from the catalog? Heck no! wish I could. I don't blame the owners of this site at all, but it's just sad that people here have to get on their high horses and look down their noses at those of us on fixed incomes.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #695
JSM
Compulsive Stamper

Even though I didn't read all 18 pages of this thread, I figured I'd go ahead and post my 2 cents, too. I signed on as a Fan Club member however many months ago (less than a year, since I haven't needed to renew yet) just to support the site. No offense to the Dirty Dozen, but I almost never go to that gallery or forum.... I just don't have time. I use the alphabetical galleries constantly, though.

I won't *like* it if this site should have to become a paying site, but I understand the reasons. I've been letting all of my magazine subscriptions expire over the past year; I guess that I just added a new one with Splitcoast.

Seriously, does it cost you every time I click from one page to another? I never knew that. I definitely got my $20 worth in my first couple of weeks here, since all I do is flip back and forth from one gallery to another and back again. That's just mind-blowing.

Thanks for everything that all you who are involved with this site do from day to day. Even if I weren't a demo, I would be here every day, looking at something. I just love this site!

Janet
Old 09-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #696
Mad Swapper

Location: Those are my kids above! My son is holding the baby....

I have already, and will continue to pay as long as this site is here. I say it's worth it, even though my family is on a pretty tight budget. My business has grown exponentially because of the techniques I have learned and the ideas I have garnered from this site. I truly appreciate everything here, and will definitely support SCS in this venture. THANKS GUYS!!!!!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is all you need!
-Mae West
Old 09-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #697
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

You all might want to go to simply sentiments site they have a really quick download time. Perhaps they have a corporate sponsor to help defray the cost and upkeep.

I want to say I went to this site, and no wonder they have a quick download time; they only have about 2500 members.............compared to 45,000
just a tad bit of difference. And, it appears the site is run by a magazine company, so yes,they have corporate sponsers; all those advertisers in their magazine pay to be in there, another huge difference.

Last edited by 11Valerie11; 09-23-2005 at 01:32 PM..
Old 09-23-2005, 01:33 PM   #698
Mad Swapper

You have my support completely, and I will continue to tell every stamper I know how wonderful this place is. I buy many magazines and idea books, and spend far more than you are asking each year for services that offer MUCH less than Splitcoast. I have no qualm whatsoever with spending $25 each year to continue the growth of this site. I am daily amazed with what SCS has to offer, and grow more pleased with (and addicted to) this place daily. I have instant access to answers to whatever SU related question that pops into my head - even at 3am! I have an amazing gallery of the most beautiful work created by some of the most talented people I have seen ANYWHERE! I can show off my own stuff should I so desire. This site is so well designed, so user friendly and easy -- that is worth $25 and much more in my opinion. Good luck in making this all work!

Money is tight for us, maybe not as much as for some. If I could not afford it, I would not subscribe, and I would still support your decision to do this -- if you gotta you gotta, and I definitely think that what this site offers is worth the money - there are many things in life I can not afford, that does not mean that people should not charge for them so that I can have them. It seems very clear that this is a decision based on necessity, not greed - the site wont run for any of us unless the changes are made - and what really is the point of having the amazing gallery here if we can not open it!

Since the changes are temporary, and it will be available for everyone for free once the changes are made, then really it seems like the best of both worlds -- pay to support the site if we choose (I did anyway) and if not, be patient, and you get it for free again when it is fixed! Hooray!

Last edited by kpaisley1; 09-23-2005 at 01:44 PM..
Old 09-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #699
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I wish to start this by saying I am the epitomy of a lurker .... I do not post, i read. However this thread has driven me out of lurkdom. For those who can not afford the $25 a year, I am sorry. We all have budgets and some luxuries, yes this is a luxury are not within them. That said, I think what Daven is trying to say is the luxury of upgrading this site is NOT within his family budget. Who are we to expect him to upgrade this site out of his own pocket? Who are we to complain when he asked for help? Give me a break! I have been a member for quite some time and did join the DD fan club a few months back because I felt the need to contribute. I know the cost of a site like this, I know the time investment. I also know the stress of trying to come up with the funds to support it. Many years ago in the infancy of the internet my husband and brother wrote an online game. We had a T1 conection, servers, the works... it was expensive! People loved it but complained about spending $10 a month to play.. we solved this by selling the game itself to other bulletin boards and made lots of money selling it to other providers who were then going to be in the same boat as we were..... trying to recoup our investment! The SCS team does not have this option, the only way to recoup the funds to keep this site running is through their members. We use it we should pay. If you can't afford to use it, then like a membership to the health spa, it is just not something that is a part of your world. We do not live in a communist society and we can not expect businesses to give everyone the same service for nothing. If the site had stayed at 100 members i am sure Daven could have continued to come up with the money to run it through donations pop-ups etc... but a site with 40,000 members costs way more to run. Enough said. Keep up the good work and I will gladly renew when my subscription runs out... just like my newspaper and TV guide and gardening magazines .... i get far less information and inspiration from those and i spend a hell of a lot more money on them!
Thank you so much for posting this! All of my thoughts summed up! I will be renewing my membership when needed. I have learned so much here at this great site. Honestly, I think it would support this a permanent solution. For all those who gripe that Tracy and Daven might be out for money, I feel sorry for you. What a shame, 2 people devoting soooo much time, effort and money into something that benefits us users in such a huge way. Thank you to everyone who makes this site possible!

Lynn
Old 09-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #700
Rubber Obsessor

I am a Computer Geek and I think Daven's idea is a good idea. I have my own domain and it costs money to have it. Also it costs money for bandwidth, which is means that when people are looking at pictures and uploading pics, etc this is using bandwidth. The more bandwidth and website space on the domain costs more money.

I have been a SCS member (and fan club member) and it has been totally worth it. I agree that if you get website sponsors then it might help keep the SCS membership kind of low. A lot of websites does this now. (Just be careful of which sponsors so that people do not get spyware or viruses on their computers). Anyway to get away from my geeky side, SCS website has helped me when I have been stuck on card ideas and I love meeting new people, USA and CANDA. Thanks a million for all that you do!!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #701
Die Cut Diva

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonfly_221_love
I don't have alot of money but i can sqeeze $20
it's just that i'm in Canada and can't afford $30 $35 and over
the exchange is to much

P.S. will we be notified?
If your a paid member can you then see the Dirty Dozen patterns

Thank you

the exchange rate today is only 1.18....come on, this is by far the cheapest method of getting up to the minute, professional, beautiful (you insert your own adjective here!) ideas and help. I joined in Jan, and never regretted it one bit, and back then the exchange was over 1.30...

THanks Daven...

my gallery
My Blog
Old 09-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #702
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not sure I understand. Is this correct?:

The folks who pay get everything -- forums, look at all the galleries and upload, but if you don't pay you still get to look at the forums, and the member galleries, but can't upload, can't look at galleries that are sorted by SU stamp set?

Also, this is temporary? Eventually, everything will be free again? Not sure what I'll do!!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #703
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via Skype™ to LanelT

Wow, I'm a new member to this site (as you can tell by my post count...4 LOL) but I have to say I'm really embarrassed, saddened, and shocked by some of the responses in this thread. I'm not a stamping demonstrator, just an addicted buyer and stamper. LOL But, I have gotten so many great ideas from reading what I've read and looking at the gallery. It's expensive and extremely time consuming running a site this big. I am an active member at another site and we just went through a switch to paid memberships for the same reasons, why should one person foot the bill so thousands of others can enjoy the benefits? Doesn't make sense to me.

It appears to me that this switch is well thought out. In my opinion, I think full access to the gallery should remain a fan club only option. In reading how it will be set-up it sounds to me like new members or visitors will still have access to plenty of examples to get ideas and also a taste of what is available to help them decide if they want to become a member in order to gain more access to more ideas. I think fan club members deserve perks. If they help to support this wonderful community then they deserve to get above and beyond support back. I expect my gym to give me better service than someone who randomly walks in off the streets, why shouldn't we expect more from a website that we are a supporting member of.

And remember, if you are a stamping consultant this is a business expense for you. I am a tax preparer/accountant in my "other life" and would expense this site for any of my clients.

And, think of some of the savings you've gotten off this site. LOL If you've used the viking codes that people have shared how much money has that SAVED you? If you've used other peoples ideas to make inexpensive but AMAZING gifts how much has that saved you? I think just by finding this site this week I've already saved enough money from finding the viking sale codes and a holiday gift idea to give me the money to buy a fan club membership.

Where He leads, I follow...even if it is to Idaho.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #704
Embossing Fanatic

Default coat tails

Quote:

Originally Posted by tish101
I've learned there is "no free lunch". This is a GREAT site. No, it's a SUPER site! And all of us that enjoy it need to support it. And if the price is not something you can afford (or you choose to spend money on something else), then that is your decision. Sometimes we can't have it all, sometimes we can.

I support your decision to have paying members only post to the gallery. However, it will reduce the value of the gallery if many people choose not to subscribe.

But I'd rather have a limited gallery than no SCS!

Tish.
Amen - sister. No free lunch, no free ride. People, there IS no better site for the money. You CAN find the money - search your couch, look down while you walk, eat at home more. If something is important to you, then you will pay for it - if it isn't, well then, you won't.

kt
Old 09-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #705
Embossing Fanatic

Default Ditto

Quote:

Originally Posted by coribravo

What she said, in spades! How petty!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #706
Kookie Creator

If everyone agrees to the Pay-to-Play option, won't that just be transferring the volume we have now trying to access the gallery? For the time being, restrict the majority of the gallery and let the Fan Club members have access. Thanks for trying to figure it all out.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #707
Kookie Creator

Default Not so much related...

Okay, can someone explain fixed income to me? My mother in law always says she is on a fixed income since she retired. She works a bunch of odd jobs to supplement her retirement. My husband, who is a techie, earns a set salary each year. Are we not then on a fixed income. It actually hasn't changed in three years. So, are not we all, in fact, on a fixed income? Just call me clueless.. I think I would give up my husband before I give up SCS.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:57 PM   #708
Compulsive Stamper

Thumbs up

This site is incredible!

I am a Fan Club member just because I want to support this wonderful website. Often I even forget to check out the Dirty Dozen section.

I used to pay for a SUDSOL membership but Splitcoast is so far superior that I dropped it. Frankly I don't know how you've been able to do it for FREE all this time. It's worth every penny of the $25 Fan Club membership.

It can sometimes get frustrating when the site gets really slow. Please do whatever it takes to maintain the quality & increase the speed of Splitcoaststampers.

Thanks again for all you do.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #709
Compulsive Stamper

IMO, I am very disappointed. I know that everyone has been through trying times financially, and at the moment, we are in the middle of one. I had just started to get interested in stamping a little over a month ago. I have only bought 3 stamps from addicted to scrapbooking while they were on clearance. A total of 8 dollars. I have been trying my best to find some, should I say, cheap stamps to work with. I had actually splurged to buy the first ones. This site is one that I STAY on just to get me ideas and inspiration. Someone had said that you spend alot on stamps, so 20.00 would be nothing, will all I can say is that I will not be able to pay it. Not now at least. I think that it is very unfortunate that people in certain circumstances will be knocked out of being able to use the one free thing to help them. I'm lucky to have the internet, as we were supposed to cut it off the first of the month, but are trying our best to keep it as long as we can. I am really disappointed. I'm sure there are other ways to raise the money. That's JMHO.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #710
Die Cut Diva

Count me in for my $25 contribution! I would give up a few fast-food meals for my daily dose of SCS!!!!!

I think of it like this: when I go to a friends' house, I bring a snack or wine. It's just customary to contribute when a friend opens her home to me.

Thanks Daven and Tracy for opening your site to us all! As a demo, it is invaluable!!!!

Vera
Old 09-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #711
Forum Fanatic

Default Fan Club Subscription

There is no other site that offers as much as this site does!!! In friendship, creativity and support this is priceless. I don't think it's fair for those who put endless time and effort into this site to keep it going for the rest of us
to enjoy without some kind of support from us (the peanut gallery). I paid the dues last year and I am more than willing to pay this again and with an increase!!! Where else do you get this much return for a small $25 fee?
Thank you for everything you have done and I hope this site continues
because I would surely miss you all!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dead space is had to fill with quality and that's exactly what this site is "above the rest" !

One question are we notified when our subscription is up?

TFS! Eileen
Old 09-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #712
Glitter Guru

[QUOTE=Melissa 8791]Daven & Tracy,

Thank you for sharing SCS with all of us!

Let's remember, anyone who opposes Daven's proposal here, that this has been a gift to thousands of us for a pretty darn long time. If I am correct in my understanding...this was supposed to be for Tracy and her downline and we've all been enjoying one happy invite all this way. Fan Club and $$$$ has been an option for all...I chose to participate to give back and to enjoy the benefits...gotta be honest here!!!!

Well- guess what!!!...it's time to pitch in and give back to help carry the load now. Our small gift back, $24.95, is minimal and I for one would feel ashamed to feel anything but thankful that I have the opportunity to pay it forward...
(this not intended to be a bash against those who truely and honestly cannot pay the fee)

I am a proud SCS "paid" member who wants to applaud Daven, Tracy and crew for all you have so unselfishly "SHARED" with us. I want to thank you deeply. You are very special people and have given more to so many of us then words could ever express.

Hugs and Smiles,

...and just as a side note into who these "unselfish" people are...consider this...

in their own time of need they are donating $5.00 from every paid membership and renewal for a period of time to gracioulsy help suffering victims from Hurricane Katrina....
Old 09-23-2005, 02:12 PM   #713
Crimping Master

I think this site is a goldmine for stamping enthusiasts and demonstrators alike! I love it, and continue to support it thru Fan Club membership. I know the decision to temporarily limit access must have been difficult, but everyone should stand behind this decision since it is for everyone's benefit. To make improvements to a website you've got to shut it down, or at least slow it down to work on it. To keep such a fabulous references site up and running takes a lot of manpower and money.

I would support making this site a partially-fee-funded site just because it is such a wealth of information. I think charging for various levels of access would be totally acceptable. Maybe have a basic free access to certain forums and galleries, then a step-up for Demonstrator-only forums and galleries, and the Fan Club being the ultimate membership? The great thing about the Internet is that so much of it is FREE, but for all the resources available here, I don't think $10 or $20/year is much at all. I previously belonged to a demonstrator-only website that charged $40/year!! I quit immediately after discovering SCS -- everything the other site offered (only better!), and FREE!

Keep up the great work, everyone behind the scenes at SCS!

Last edited by jostamper; 09-23-2005 at 02:17 PM..
Old 09-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #714
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadyetx
Amen - sister. No free lunch, no free ride. People, there IS no better site for the money. You CAN find the money - search your couch, look down while you walk, eat at home more. If something is important to you, then you will pay for it - if it isn't, well then, you won't.

kt
I can sympathize with the people who really can't afford the $25.00 membership. I am also on a budget, but when I really want something, I save until I have the funds to pay for it. This site has shown me a lot and it was by a person that I didn't know who told me about it. Word of mouth is how I would think most of us found out about SCS. With this being a 24/7/365 site you can check out anything you want to know. The gallery is being updated every moment of every day except probably during sleeping hours. There always seems to be someone on one of the forums ready to start up a conversation. Where else except here can you meet on line and eventually, hopefully meet these people in person. There have been so many new friendships made and I know that in another week I am going to meet 58 new people all from SCS. That wouldn't have happened if this site hadn't have been here or if someone neglected to tell me where I could look to make some wonderful cards.

I will work at saving enough money so I can help sponser one person out there who can't afford this membership. I personally think this paying membership should be a permanent deal. To me this is a luxury and I can look at it anytime I want and I would like to keep it that way. If this site goes away because there aren't enough people to support it, then we will all lose. Right now I think we are all winners because we have the best of everything here.

Thanks goes out to Daven, Tracy, Jenn, Beate and all the moderators. You do a fantastic job and I appreciate all your hard work. I will continue to support you.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Old 09-23-2005, 02:14 PM   #715
Inking Addict

Default I support you all the way

As someone who has been working in the interactive business for the last 8 years, I know how expensive running an interactive site it. By all means, people should have to pay for using the site. I'm not sure that you shouldn't make it a paid site and keep it that way.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #716
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have stopped reading, I'm tired

All I have to say is, it's about time Big D!!!!!!!
If it wasn't for this site I would not be a demo, I would not have learned soooo much about this craft and I would have not made the best friends a girl could ask for!

I am more than willing to PAY MY PART!
I want to keep this site the # 1 stamping site and I want to keep this site period!
I also want to thank Tracy for putting up with all of us and letting you be here for us

Old 09-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #717
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't read all the posts here, but wanted to say I really appreciate everything that is available to me on SCS and will gladly renew my Fan Club membership yearly reguardless! I love it here & totally understand, and stand behind your decision! Thanks for everything!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #718
Gallery Gazer

Absolutely, completely, totally, positively, definitely and finally YES! Along with Stampin SandyH, I am going to save the money to sponsor at least one other SCS member to be able to have a Fan Club membership as well.

Thank you so much Tracy and Daven for all your hard work in maintaining this site!!! I have enjoyed playing in your yard so much!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #719
Cardstock Collector

wow... that was alot to read and I can see both sides. This site is def. worth paying for, but I too, am one of those that cant afford the $25 right now. Hopefully sometime soon so I can get that ADORABLE purse pattern that I want to so bad!
I'm pretty new here too, so its nice to see some new ideas that are diff. from the stuff where I live ( all brown and vintage stuff... I like it, but sometimes I want to use blue ink too...*lol*)
By the way... its very nice of some of you to gift a memebership... what goes around, comes around 3 fold.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:33 PM   #720
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

why not contact Stampin up and ask for money from them since this site seems to use most of there products and they really don't have cards posted to there site. Seems to me this site does a lot to promote their products. Just a thought
This has been suggested. The problem with that plan is that if SU! pays for the upkeep of this site, then they get to dictate the site content. Say goodbye to all those threads about getting cheap monoadhesive and envelopes from Viking with the discount codes, or buying paper trimmers and StazOn pads from Hobby Lobby with a coupon, or the dollar stamps at Michael's. Don't expect to find demos for Close to My Heart (CTMH) or The Angel Company (TAC) by posting here, either, because as the competition they would surely be shut out. As for all the requests for a gallery to show things made with non-SU! stamps, well, you can forget about that ever happening. See the problem with corporate sponsorship?

Another thing I cannot stress enough -- EVERYONE will still be able to VIEW the galleries by looking up specific SCS members. The ONLY thing non-paid members will not be allowed to do is UPLOAD new images, and that is only supposed to last through the month of October, or however long it takes for Daven and his crew to finish the upgrades they have planned.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"

Last edited by row4d; 09-23-2005 at 02:36 PM..
Closed Thread