Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #641
Splitcoast Group Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanniebabes
I'll tell you what, I have all of those conveniences you listed above. I am a SAHM with a limited budget, living paycheck to paycheck, have unplanned medical bills for DD and so on and so on. You cant compare these conveniences to paying for access to a website. I am reading about what it breaks down to each month and I feel that some of you are like what the heLL, you cant afford $25, give me a break. You dont know what other peoples financial woes are. Some people really cant afford an extra $25 a year. My demo turned me on to this site over a year ago, and I absolutely love it. I get so many ideas and have made some new cyber friends, but as much as I would LOVE to have paid access to this site, I truly cant give $25 to do that. I just feel that some of you are looking down to the other people who say that they can afford to pay. JMHO
BRAVO! and well said!
I, too am a SAHM, with few of the mentioned "conveinances" I have the cell phone primarily for safety issues. Both cars are 4+ years old. Good ole' dial-up is used here and my DH refuses to pay for cable. I am seeing quite a bit of commentary that reflects a "snobbish" attitude. I know that not all of you that are saying "hey its not so much, swing it" are demos, but many of you are. Please don't forget that you would not have a business if it were not for us regular folk out here. Your business depends on sales -- sites like this one give me ideas and inspiration. Often I see somthing here and then go to my demo to place the order. I have uploaded a few projects, but not an excessive number of them. I have appreciated the feedback given on them so that I could improve my technique.

Why not offer an expanded gallery to paid memberships? Something like a limit of 24 or 36 items may be on a personal gallery unless you have a paid membership?

I also apprciate that the word "temporary" was used, however, no time frame was given. Will existing galleries be taken down? This is so disappointing. I do hope a favorable resolution is found soon. I also hope that the curt commentary that brings down others will soon stop.
Thank you.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #642
Mad Swapper

IMO:

1) Daven and Tracy must have nerves of steel
2) in this thread as with most, some things said should probably be kept to oneself.
3) No one can place a value on something except the person to whom it is valued
4) I am not a paying member, can afford to, and will likely pay because as with 99% of SCS, am addicted and must have the "fix"!
5) sadly, I believe the quantity/quality will decline.

thanks to all, paying member or not, who have shared their creativity for my gain.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #643
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindeana
and most important of all, the friendships that I have made here! They are invaluable, priceless and precious to me, that I could not put a price tag on! (Plus it's a lot cheeper than therapy!!)

I say if you can afford to stamp, you can afford to pay the $24.95!
We love you Deana!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #644
Hardware Hotshot

I can so relate to what you're going through as my husband used to have a surfing website that he intended to keep free, but as the site grew and had thousands of visitors to the site each day, the costs of the site also grew and quickly depleted our savings, and he too needed to turn membership - eventually selling his website because we still couldn't keep up with the costs.

$25 per year is very reasonable - the cost of a magazine subscription. SCS has SO much to offer, and I have learned so much and gained so much inspiration from this amazing and awesome website! Thank you SO much for all you do to make this such a great place to come to each day! I'm behind you 100%!!!

Thankfully,
Michelle
Old 09-23-2005, 11:08 AM   #645
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamping in Faith
IMO:

1) Daven and Tracy must have nerves of steel
2) in this thread as with most, some things said should probably be kept to oneself.
3) No one can place a value on something except the person to whom it is valued
4) I am not a paying member, can afford to, and will likely pay because as with 99% of SCS, am addicted and must have the "fix"!
5) sadly, I believe the quantity/quality will decline.

thanks to all, paying member or not, who have shared their creativity for my gain.

AMEN to this statement...I wonder if we have to pay the $25 now in order to still be "here" on October 1st?!?
Kathy
Old 09-23-2005, 11:14 AM   #646
Rubber Obsessor

Too bad that restricting access to the forums wouldn't help the problem, I find that I spend way too much time surfing the forums and too little time admiring the creations in the gallery! Please somebody help me!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorinda
I would like to ask that Please read the original post before getting upset or angry or tearful or anything else. It clearly states that this is Temporary, and it also clearly states that non-paying members will still have access to member galleries and technique spotlight galleries.It is not like you will never see the gallery again, try and think of the reality of running a web site of this magnitude for free, for ever, how much time and donated time from others can we honsetly expect? I know I like to be payed for my job, and I am sure that others feel the same way about the 'work' that they put into SCS.
Please be patient and try and consider everything that goes into this site.
I have not read this entire thread but Dorinda brought up the items that were running thru my head. This will be temporary, and those who truely CANNOT afford the fee will still have access to member galleries. Certainly not as convenient but the ideas are still there for them to access. I will support this membership fee.

anna
Old 09-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #647
Compulsive Stamper

Location: The place of sunshine Blue sky, clean clear air snow, big mnts.
Thumbs up

First, and for most THANK YOU SCS!!!!!!! This site ROCKS!!!!!!!! I can not tell you how many times this great site has made this world a much better place to be in. The things I see and read on this site just make my day a much brighter day. I just joined the fan club two weeks ago, because of the Hkatrina deal you all had going. Wanted to join before, but just didn't get there. Now after getting to see the DD GREAT cards and other way cool work Iam so glad I did join. My choice is to be on board with this group because it is very worth while to me. Again thank you all for all your hard work to keep all of us CRAZY stammpers happy!!!!!!!!!!!! Lisa TM
Old 09-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #648
Abbe-licious

Daven, I am all for it. I was gifted with a membership last year, but will gladly renew when the time comes. I would not be opposed for this to be a permanent change myself. You guys put in a lot of hardwork, and deserve anythhing extra you can get out of it. Thanks for all your work for us women! Thanks Tracy for sharing him!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #649
Kookie Creator

Sounds good to me. I have been wanting to sign up with the fan club anyway so this will speed it up. I know how hard it must be to keep this site up and I really appreciate it. It's a wonderful site. Thanks for all the great improvements you have been making.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #650
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Default Wooohoooooo!!!

Yes, YES, YES!
I am delighted that Daven & Tracy are finally making this decision!!

I cannot begin to imagine the countless hours of work, developing, planning, regrouping, maintenance, organization, upgrading, managing server issues, analyzing problems, correcting those problems as efficiently as possible, overall management, and the never-mentioned "sleepless nights because they couldn't stop thinking about 'xyz' issue on SCS"! The preceeding statement doesn't even mention the fact that our moderators also work on a totally volunteer basis, giving up their family time & off-work time to review posts, approve uploads, manage galleries, and answer non-stop PM's & emails asking a multitude of questions. To those who wonder if a profit might be made, this is the U.S.A.! If Daven & Tracy can turn this into a business that supports them and others, that's what free enterprise is all about! It is not reasonable to expect them to just give any of this to any of us! Yet even with all of the above, Daven's plan still keeps the member galleries and techniques area freely available to those who do not subscribe!

I know that my current stamping knowledge and skills are due to the knowlege I have gained here at SCS, as well as through the continued friendships I have developed with wonderful SCS stampers, followed of course, by my own love for stamping. Many of us have seen business improvements that are honestly due to the knowledge we have found here at SCS. For those who are not demonstrators, the techniques, ideas, and answers to questions are certainly enabling them to improve stamping skills, and get a "personalized" experience via forums & pm's that simply is not available through any printed publication. I will gladly continue to support this as the valuable stamping resource that it represents to myself and to countless others.

So for all of this, I must give a heartfelt "Thank You!" to Daven, Tracy, and our entire SCS crew!!

~Beverly
Old 09-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #651
Kookie Creator

Tish 101 - uh uh! WWC's are $60!
How about: -- New stamp set $25
-- New watercolor crayons $60
-- New Hodge Podge Kit $27
-- Learning what to do with all of the above on SCS?
PRICELESS

Stampinsue
Old 09-23-2005, 11:33 AM   #652
Compulsive Stamper

Default Where do i send Money

I don't have alot of money but i can sqeeze $20
it's just that i'm in Canada and can't afford $30 $35 and over
the exchange is to much

P.S. will we be notified?
If your a paid member can you then see the Dirty Dozen patterns

Thank you
Old 09-23-2005, 11:33 AM   #653
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by acer
Hmmm 55,000 members at $20 dollars a piece is $1,100,000.00. Just exactly what IS the cost to run a website? I'd think a maiximum of $2000 a month would be asking enough and that's only 50 cents a year for each member. Most of the peole that want to pay for the site are already paying now. Once we all pay, and we are ALL now able to slow down the gallery, aren't we back to square one? Go to godaddy.com and find how much it actually cost to set up a site.
And now that I've said that-I'll be paying for it if that's what I have to do, but I definitely think that everyone wants to make money, and this should be labeled for the money maker that it is.
Since when is earning money for LOTS AND LOTS OF WORK a problem?
We've been enjoying the fruits of their labors free for a long time.
If they make a million bucks.....then WOO HOO!!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #654
Matboard Maniac

Short and sweet - worth more than $30.00/yr. I would donate a Gift Cert for someone (don't take my generosity for granted please) who can't afford to pay. Don't post much, don't upload, not a demo for anyone, just have gleaned so very much from this site. Would like to see it continue the way it is only faster - how we gonna do that? Daven is da man!! A few bucks and we can all have what we want.

Hugs!!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #655
Die Cut Diva

Default Will gladly pay!

I love this site, I am on it almost everyday for ideas and information on techniques or just searching for some solution to a stamping problem, etc. I find such creative inspiration from everything in the gallery. I would gladly pay the fee to be able to continue utilizing the gallery. Until my stamping addiction subsides (probably never), I want full access to SCS. I have a questions though regarding the "Other Stuff" forums. Since SCS is primarily focused about stamping/scrapbooking, are these other forums not only taking away from the focus but also valuable system space? While I appreciate everyone's individual lifestyle, situations, etc., are there not other free sites to post questions/problems or whatever regarding the "Other Stuff" in your life? I know I don't have to view those forums but I still question if they are taking up too much space?? Just my 2 cents!

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #656
Insane Embellisher

I completely can understand where some people are coming from esp. the SAHM ( I am one too) who are on very limited budgets but when I look at where I spend my money and where my friends who complain they are broke spend their money, I can cut some of that out to do the fee. Cut out one take out meal a week or cut out the trip to starbucks or not buy the item at the dollar store. It is only a temp thing but if it does become permanat, I will find money in my budget to be a member.

For those members who have a little extra money, maybe think about a gift to someone but a plea goes out to everyone to not take advantage of someones generousity and if your trulet can find a way to afford it , dont take/ask for a gift.

Marcy
Old 09-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #657
Kookie Creator

I think that something like this was inevitable. I unfortunately cannot afford it but would pay the $25 in a heartbeat if I could. I know that it is a steal and the stuff on this site is amazing and so wonderful. Things are awfully tight money wise here and we have already cut back on everything , we dont even go out to eat anymore or anything of the sorts. I will definately miss being able to have full access, but I totally agree. The second that $25 falls out of the sky, atm or wallet I will be signing up, but that will most likely not happen until long after the new year (or probably a few years until DH has completed his degree). I say go ahead and do it, some things in life are necessary no matter what, I will definately miss it all but the rest of you can enjoy it for me.

My Blog - Its young but it is growing!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #658
Kookie Creator

I think that payment options would be a great help to those of us on a limited income where we can pay for 4-6 months at a time. I know that it is a lot easier to squeeze $10 out of my montly budget than it would be to do $25!. Hopefully that will be an option!

My Blog - Its young but it is growing!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #659
Gabfest Goddess

I think making the assumption that all 55,000 SCS members are going to pay $20, (making the Nolta's $1,100,000) is a little over the top. Not every member will pay, and there are probably a lot of inactive/old memberships.

And if they make a million, more power to them. We have no idea of the time and money they have already put into this site. There are a lot of people involved with running this site; why do we expect them to work for free?

This has to be a full-time job to run this site and for the moderators who are on here all of the time, along with the DD ladies who must spend countless hours on their monthly projects.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #660
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

10:30 AM (pacific) Friday, 11/23

Lot's of great feedback, thanks everyone. For all the incredibly kind words too. Wow! Thank you so much.

Please, be extra tolerant with negative reactions to this announcement. I asked for feedback and it's important to hear from those who have reservations about it.

Many of the posts so far relate to the financial impact of this announcement. There's no question that we will gain more paid members, at least in the short term, as a result of restricting access to much of the gallery.

For the long term health of the Splitcoast community, however, I believe that the best course of action is to remain a free site. We'll restrict the gallery for only as long as it takes to address our traffic problems.

I'm getting a slew of e-mail with questions about the Fan Club, and won't be able to respond to most of them in a timely fashion. Your best source of Fan Club information is here:
Fan Club page

More Questions & Answers

What about free trial memberships?
Any trial membership system could easily be skirted by re-joining the site with a new username. We don't want to create a negative incentive for "counterfeit" usernames.

What about a tiered membership system?
I prefer simplicity whenever possible and tiered memberships create complications for you and also for us.

What about partial-year memberships?
We will do partial-year Fan Club memberships, look for this very soon.

What if we trimmed down the number of uploads or restricted uploads in some way?
Uploads and file size are not contributing in a meaningful way to the performance issues that we're experiencing in the gallery. We will probably never need to place limits on the amount of items you upload.

Why do uploads have to be restricted for non-Fan Club members?
Since Member Galleries and Technique Spotlight are the only galleries that non-Fan Club members will see, they also won't be able to upload to other categories. Keeping the gallery organized requires us to keep uploads categorized properly and it would be difficult to do this with uploads from non-Fan Club members.

I think that this answers a lot of questions and concerns that many have. If you have not re-read Davens updated post in the orginal post please do so. It really clears up some frustrating questions.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #661
Matboard Maniac

As a SAHM of a 19-month old, I don't have much time to access the site much less sift through the galleries unless I need something specific and that's where SCS is great. We're on a strict budget at the moment so the dues are out of the question. Unfortunately, if I need something after Oct. 1 I'm going to find it elsewhere and the chances of returning to SCS when the changes are done will probably be slim. I bet they're going to lose a lot of people this way. And the cynical side of me isn't wondering if this isn't a ploy to get more people into the Fan Club?????

Last edited by bg2bl; 09-23-2005 at 12:06 PM..
Old 09-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #662
Polyshrink Goddess

If it's temporary, then what's the incentive to join? To be able to see the gallery during the downtime? Most of what I see here, I see posted through other yahoo groups anyway.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #663
Pearl-ExPert

I admit I haven't read all the posts here, but stopped when I started to wonder....

Are those that are against this thinking that it is a permanent thing? My understanding is that it'll only be down for a month for non Fan Club members, or however long it'll take to get it resolved, then it will be back up for everyone again.

So hang on for a month! I'm a Fan Club member, and there have been LARGE amounts of time that passed when I haven't come to the gallery because of the slowness of it. Waiting a month or so for it to be resolved to have it be better than ever is something I think we all should be able to be patient for.

JMHO
"If only there were some kind of giant world wide river of information, available at any time to anyone in the world who has the right equipment, that is relatively easy to use, and available at a nominal expense.......but where would we get such a thing?" Brian Nelson
Old 09-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #664
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up Oh My Yes!!

Life without SCS and The Gallery??? What horror! I can't even imagine not having SCS. I am not a Fan Club member for sheer procrastination as someone else mentioned, but I will be before the end of September. This site is invaluable for ideas, inspiration, information, friendship, and just plain fun!

I agree that Devan and Tracy have done such a fantastic job and that continuing an enterprise of this magnitude either needs more fundng or cutting of services

I have been to many stamping and scrapbooking sites on the web and nothing even comes close to SCS. Many charge a fee to be a member or a fee for premium services. Even worse, many are just down-right clickish and if you are't in the "in crowd" you might as well not waste your money!

On the Weight Watchers website, you only have to register and you get all kinds of material, forums, etc., just like
SCS However, if you want their "tools" (points calculators, food lists, etc) you have to join, just like going to meetings in person. And, joining, last time I was an online member, was FIFTEEN DOLLARS A MONTH!!! Did I consider it a rip-off? No, because they had a service that I needed and wanted, and could afford at that time. I paid that fee every month for a year and a half and was thankful to have all of the information available to me.

I am an SU! demo and went to the SU! demo website ONCE and that was enough. No "real time" messages, questions or answers. Heaven help you if you needed to talk or get information on the weekend! I found the photo section to be seriously limited. On SCS, I get almost instant feedback on messages or questions - 24/7/365!! And a totally AWESOME gallery that is a constant amazement and inspiration to me. All FREE!

Yes, come Oct. 1 if I don't become a fan club member some of my free stuff will be temporarily unavailable, but the most of the VAST resoures will remain available to me.

Some suggestions: *Please don't limit the size of the photo uploads.
*Please Please, Please NO advertising banners - PLEASE!! My experience on SCS has been a pleasant one - advertising banners would take nearly all that pleasantness away!

Comment (for which I may get flamed): Please do not put down those who say they cannot afford to pay the $25 for a fan club membership. You never really know. I have been there - where even buying food was difficult - on good days. Where constant worry over late utiilities and rent payments keep you up at night and make you sick at your stomach. Tiny little "luxuries" to help keep your sanity in an insane world were extremely hard to come by. Spending an extra $5 on a cross stitch magazine meant $5 in gas couldn't be bought, or $5 on a seriously past due bill couldn't be sent. Thankfully friends helped me by giving me magazines and threads and materials This kept me sane.

Many people have helped me up out of that situation and I am very thankful to every one of them and try to "pay it forward" now whenever I can.

I love this site. I need this site. I WANT this site. I'd gladly pay more for the priviledge of being a part of all this awesome creativity.

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Old 09-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #665
Cardstock Collector

Smile

I Love this website! I have always been amazed that I could get so many ideas FOR FREE! I am a stay-at-home Mom, and I am on a tight budget, and I still feel that $20.00 a year is a steal! Thank you so much for doing an awesome job with this site!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #666
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Wink What a resource!

I agree with the solution and hope that you will once again find another way to add free folks. This is my most useful resource, and while there are those who are on very tight budgets, I'd urge you to find a way to make it fit. There must be something over the course of a year to cut out of your budget for $25...that is, if it's worth it. And for me...it's beyond being worth it! Thanks for all you do...everyone!!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:01 PM   #667
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadgeRPh
Since when is earning money for LOTS AND LOTS OF WORK a problem?
We've been enjoying the fruits of their labors free for a long time.
If they make a million bucks.....then WOO HOO!!!!
Have you read all of my posts yet?-Did you read the entire thread. This isn't what I said. Sorry.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:02 PM   #668
Crimping Master

Comment (for which I may get flamed): Please do not put down those who say they cannot afford to pay the $25 for a fan club membership. You never really know. I have been there - where even buying food was difficult - on good days. Where constant worry over late utiilities and rent payments keep you up at night and make you sick at your stomach. Tiny little "luxuries" to help keep your sanity in an insane world were extremely hard to come by. Spending an extra $5 on a cross stitch magazine meant $5 in gas couldn't be bought, or $5 on a seriously past due bill couldn't be sent. Thankfully friends helped me by giving me magazines and threads and materials This kept me sane.

Many people have helped me up out of that situation and I am very thankful to every one of them and try to "pay it forward" now whenever I can.

Well said Rhonda, and I will testify to Rhonda's willingness to "pay it forward"!!!

Cri
Old 09-23-2005, 12:04 PM   #669
Compulsive Stamper

Lightbulb

I would whole-heartedly support any fee-based subscription to this site. I offer these suggestions to the SCS team to continue to encourage creativity and new memberships:

1) Limit non-paying members to X number of downloads per month. That way everybody can still contribute, but the number wouldn't get out of control. You'd have to crunch the numbers to see what would really work best for SCS. (As a note, I am a fan club member, but I have NEVER uploaded an image--and probably still wouldn't.)

2) Consider limiting access to even member galleries for non-fans. Instead, offer a "public" gallery with 50-100 cards that change bi-weekly or monthly. That will keep people coming back. But to be honest, how many of us have ever looked at all the cards by all the people?

Sorry if these ideas or any portions of them have already been suggested or debated.

Jen
Old 09-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #670
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimorr
If it's temporary, then what's the incentive to join? To be able to see the gallery during the downtime? Most of what I see here, I see posted through other yahoo groups anyway.

the incentive is that the gallery is very slow during high volume times, by having limited access while upgrades are placed, the paying folks will get to enjoy what they are paying for. Many current members are not getting the full enjoyment from the gallery due to extrem high volume traffic. It is at times very frustrating, especially trying to post comments to the galleries. The incentive is paying members get a faster less trafficed gallery experience and when upgrades are completed everyone gets to enjoy the new and improved gallery experience.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #671
Hardware Hotshot

I"m not happy about the decision you had to make. I do understand your reason, but I believe there would be other ways. I know, some members have pages and pages full of pictures, ( I believe I have seen members with 25+ pages) I think there should be a limit on how many picture can be loaded.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #672
Creative Crew Alumni

Default How Soon?

I think it is a GREAT idea! The cost is very, very minimal for the benefit received. That's about as much or less than a magazine subscription and provides HUNDREDS more ideas than a year's worth of magazines!

Go for it!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:25 PM   #673
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bg2bl
. And the cynical side of me isn't wondering if this isn't a ploy to get more people into the Fan Club?????
Yeah, that's it. It's a conspiracy. Those sneaky Noltas....

**Rolls eyes and shakes her head**

It's a shame when people trying to do a kind and generous thing are suspected of doing something tricky or underhanded.

Sorry Daven, I know you asked us to play nice, couldn't help myself on this one. You'd be proud though at how many comments I have held back!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:40 PM   #674
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What if we trimmed down the number of uploads or restricted uploads in some way?
Uploads and file size are not contributing in a meaningful way to the performance issues that we're experiencing in the gallery. We will probably never need to place limits on the amount of items you upload.

looks like the number of uploads is not the problem, I think it is the ability to accomodate a vast number of folks viewing all at once that is the bigger issue.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #675
Pearl-ExPert

Default Thank you Thank you Thank you

Sorry to all of you who don't want to make the jump to a paying member but I am very happy about this. I really don't like coming on becase after about 10 minutes I am so frustrated with how slow it is I just get off! The funny thing is I still think it was worth the money! So for those of you who are questioning paying it is less than most magazine subscriptions--give it a shot!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #676
Compulsive Stamper

What an incredibly difficult decision for you to have to make...I can see your side of it, and I can see the side of those who don't have the extra money to "subscribe."

I'm a new member, and didn't even know about the Fan Club until just today. More than likely, I would not pay for membership, as along with others, money is just too tight to justify a $25 payment.

However, I wish you would address how this is going to be "temporary" and still be "fair" (for lack of a better word) for paying members. I'm afraid I don't understand how it would be fair to those paying members if you just opened up membership to all again once you the site running smoothly.

Thank you for your time,
Old 09-23-2005, 12:46 PM   #677
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorinda
the incentive is that the gallery is very slow during high volume times, by having limited access while upgrades are placed, the paying folks will get to enjoy what they are paying for. Many current members are not getting the full enjoyment from the gallery due to extrem high volume traffic. It is at times very frustrating, especially trying to post comments to the galleries. The incentive is paying members get a faster less trafficed gallery experience and when upgrades are completed everyone gets to enjoy the new and improved gallery experience.

That said, if making people pay is temporary, then this doesn't sound like a very good solution. That's all I was saying.
Ex: Everyone here now has to pay, but others coming in later don't?

I know the gallery is slow. I think it's slower than the last upgrade.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #678
Polyshrink Goddess

I can understand why this decision has been made and I support it. I love this site and want to continue to enjoy the amazing gallery. Nearly all of my stamping inspiration comes from here, and I am always wowed by the talent that is shared. Thanks to Daven for all of the work he does, and thanks to all you members who share your amazing projects. I feel my membership fee was very well spent.

Chantae
Old 09-23-2005, 12:52 PM   #679
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimorr
That said, if making people pay is temporary, then this doesn't sound like a very good solution. That's all I was saying.
Ex: Everyone here now has to pay, but others coming in later don't?

I know the gallery is slow. I think it's slower than the last upgrade.

I think that they needed to find some kind of solution to cut down the traffic for the upgrades, and for current payed members they are not having the best experience from the gallery. Non-payers would still have access but it would be limited until upgrades are completed. Paying Fan Clubbers would still have the extra DDD gallery to enjoy at a better speed.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:58 PM   #680
Embossing Fanatic

Smile All okay

Charging will be fine with those addicted to stamping. I joined the Fan Club to give you the finances you needed. It certainly can't cover all the costs and because I love the site so much I would pay. The slowness is a frustration. Good luck with your decision and there will be many to support you.
Closed Thread