Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 09:05 AM   #601
Mad Swapper

Thumbs up

This proposal makes absolute sense to me and I support it 100%, especially with my dollars...

Another thing..I think it is absolutely fair to allow only those in the fan club to upload. Each photo takes up space on the server, and that's what needs to be paid for soooo....it's totally fair.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:06 AM   #602
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Don't assume that those that dont upload wont join or haven't joined already. I don't upload and I have been a member for a while.

Debra
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Old 09-23-2005, 09:07 AM   #603
Die Cut Diva

I see this is a necessary move, and support it whole-heartedly. This place is an amazing source of inspiration, not to mention that it is well organized and provides a fantastic search tool. While I think it was wonderful to provide it free of charge for so long, the time has come to ask us all to help with the expenses. Thanks for doing all you do for us crazy stamp fanatics!!

~Trish
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Old 09-23-2005, 09:12 AM   #604
Embossing Fanatic

I can really understand how frustrating it is to be a paid member and not be able to enjoy the benefits. I am not a member, but I enjoy all the forums (even though I don't post much), ideas and above all the gallery! I do not contribute to the gallery b/c I don't have the equipment to do so and don't know how. I can't even print b/c I don't have a printer. I feel guilty b/c it is people like me that use the site for free and possibly slowing down things. I can understand how things could be bogged down with so much traffic.

It is a GREAT site and has been a valuable tool for me as a hobbist. I am a church secretary and make cards for the church members to send out to shut-ins, etc. I do it only as a hobby. I don't make any money as a SU demonstrator since I don't hold any workshops. It is just something I enjoy doing.

I will be sending in my membership in order to help those members have a quicker response in the site and can continue to feed us ALL with their wonderful talents!!!

Thank you all for sharing and giving back in this world!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:13 AM   #605
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork1035
Would there be a possibility of Stampin' Up making a contribution to the ongoing costs of maintaining the site? Has anyone ever approached and discussed this with the head office?
When I first registered to become a member of this site, I assumed that there was a connection to the company. I thought maybe it was a site that was established by S.U. to promote their sales.
I had no idea it was run by a couple who were in it for no benefit, but to simply allow stampers to share, display and compare their talents.
I guess what I am asking is has anyone from S.U. ever looked at the phenom that is splitcoaststampers?
I've seen this brought up several times and never commented on it. While it would make sense from a marketing standpoint for SU to ante up since they obviously make something (ok, a lot) in the end as a result of what goes on here, there's the flip side to consider. If this site became funded, sponsored, supported by SU in some way, we'd lose some of our 'freedom', for lack of a better term, to express ourselves with regard to non SU related items. Gone would be the 'hey I found a Viking Mono adhesive code' posts or 'I used my 40% off coupon for a heat tool at XYZ store'. Its almost better for the open market aspect of the craft to have it be not officially affiliated with any one company. Now, of course there's no question that this place drives sales for SU, but I'd venture a guess that it drives sales for stamping/scrapping in general. I mean, my heavens...how many ceramic tiles, empty paint cans, brown paper sacks has Lowe's/Walmart sold because of us!?

As far as SU knowing about SCS...I'd say absolutely they know about us. I'd lay a month's grocery money that they monitor this place quite closely in fact. I was a demo for a year and a half, now I'm not and notice below my membership number for SCS. I think for those of us who have been around awhile we've seen an underlying respect for the company maintained over the last couple years. None of us wants to ruffle the feathers of the company we love so much for fear it will trickle to the Noltas and risk the future of the site. That's not to say this long timer would want SU to sponsor the site directly. SU has its own site and it serves its purpose. This one serves its own.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:15 AM   #606
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Cool Amen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins
Okay....this isn't the first and won't be the last time I open my mouth and stick my foot in it on here.

If I read right this "paid only" upload thing is temporary. So is not being able to view the full gallery.

If this is right then what is the big problem here?

If you can't or don't want to pay then just don't. You will still get back in at some point.

I wish I was due for renewal. Since I am not I will probably give a gift to someone.

Jeepers....I just spent over $6.00 stopping by Chick-Fil-A on my way home from the doctor. That is a good start on a membership if I had saved that money and my hips dang sure would look a sight better.

I am on a budget and I don't have money to burn either but I can cut back if need be to come up with $24.95.

Plus....Who gives a rip if Daven and Tracy make money on this? Would your or your DH work your backsides off on a daily basis is you were not making money?

I really doubt it.

I also doubt if their mission is to become rich off of us.

We all have bills to pay,we all buy groceries and have to put expensive gas in our cars.

I don't think anyone on here is looking down on anyone else because they say they can't afford to pay.

I am also pretty sure all of us have that 1 set of stamps we could have done without.

Where there is a will there is always a way so where is the will if you love this site as much as you say you do?

Granny,

Thank you!!!!!!!!

I look at it this way...since we spend this much time here, Why not be willing to give to the site. I understand about not being able to afford $24.95, But come on....This is a
AWESOME site.
We stampers spend more money on going to Stamp camps, Buying Stamps, Magazine, Junk Food,

And we don't have a problem spending the money for those things, But! When someone ask a LITTLE from us.
We have whine about it.

I stepping off my soapbox.......

PS: Where are all the TAC Demo's?
Are you not supporting this site?????

Yes I have seen a few TAC demo's reply to this message.

PSS: I have Picturetrail site that I paid for every year, Now this site can FREE, But you can only upload a few pictures,
So I wanted to be able to upload many pictures and be able to do some of the EXTRA things that they offer to Paid subsrciption to the site. In my Opinion It's Well worth $20 I spend every year on that site.

So this is why I am joining up the FAN CLUB to be able to enjoy MORE out of this site.

PLUS DH spends this much or more when we go food shopping at Wal-mart in the CLEARANCE area.

OK now I'm Done!!!!

Last edited by jeanstamping2; 09-23-2005 at 09:36 AM..
Old 09-23-2005, 09:15 AM   #607
Stazon Splitcoast

I want to start by saying I am joining the fan club right now. I hadn't before out of sheer laziness, but I know it is well worth the investment. I have received so many great ideas and wonderful feedback that I could not have received anywhere else.

As far as suggestions go, I am not sure if you do this now or not, but what about clearing out some old files. I would imagine that by removing idle forum posts (older than 3 months without a post or view), as well as older gallery posts, it would help with the amount of storage space the site needs.

I would also clean up the user database. Those who have not logged-in over a certain amount of time (maybe a year) would be eliminated. I think it is possible that I have 2 user names. I may have signed up a long time ago and forgotten about it, before returning and getting fully addicted to this site.

If there are fewer files for the database to search through it may help make things faster. You could restrict the number of uploads for non-fan club members to 25 (or a number you think is fair) and let fan club members have a larger or unlimited number of uploads in their gallery.

Those are some of my suggestions. Thank you for a wonderful site and a wonderful experience!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:16 AM   #608
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmax
Why are so many people being so nasty on this thread. The people behind the scenes of SCS asked for our opinions. Everyone is entitled to how they feel. They are also entitled to know whether they can afford the $25.00 member fee. What one person feels is a small fee, maybe too much for someone else, for whatever reason. Also when comparing it to monthly cable or going out to dinner, it is not being considered that these things are for entire families, while SCS is just for one person. Please let's not fight about this, let people have their opinions. And let's not chase our friends away from this great site!

Dina
Thank you--I have been crying every time I come to SCS for the past 2 days because many of the people who I thought were my "e-friends" have now basically labelled me a liar because I said that my family does not have the extra $ to pay for this right now...I know no one spcifically singled me out, but the fact is that when you question whether I buy stamps or Card Stock, go out to eat, or buy lattes, you are questionsing the truthfulness of my answer to Daven's question...That hurts. I fully support the gallery being paid, the site should continue. I don't think anyone has said that it should not, but you all should know, there are people out there who don't go out to dinner, buy lunch out, eat candy, subscribe to magazines, or buy cardstock or stamp sets unless they are drastically on sale...I guess I am asking for a little understanding for myself and the others who have been polite when simply stating the facts. I wold love to ask for a gift subscription from my dh for the holidays. That was a good idea. Also, paying by the month would be much easier to handle in our very tight family budget!

Thank you to those who have been so kind, and to Daven and Tracy for hosting us all!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:17 AM   #609
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Out of my mind but when I return we will have much to discuss...
question and issue...

I understand why this is being done but...what about the SU Demo gallery stuff...? As an SU demo new to the US and still trying to get a customer base, settle my home, take care of my Toddler, all on 1 income...this is very difficult to justify to my DH paying $20 for website access. I seem to recall that there was a specific gallery for SU Demos and to take that away when we do pay sooooo much already for stamps and stuff...

Like I said I understand why but I don't like it. I will finish out my commitment to the DSS but then I will have to sit out until you are finished because the gallery is what got me to sign up in the first place not having access is not really worth it to me...I will not take myself away from being a registered user as I will be checking back to see when all is fixed but I will not get on as often...

Visit My newly established Blog Stampin With Ffour
Old 09-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #610
Inking Addict

Thumbs up Fine by me!

I totally understand your decision and support it. I just love this "community" and am happy to support it in any way I can! Thanks for all of your hard work!!!
By the way.... how do we know when our fan club membership is getting ready to expire? Will we get an email, or is there somewhere to check??

Thanks!!
Jill
Old 09-23-2005, 09:21 AM   #611
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRose
By the way.... how do we know when our fan club membership is getting ready to expire? Will we get an email, or is there somewhere to check??

Thanks!!
Jill
You'll get an e-mail!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:23 AM   #612
Hardware Hotshot

Thumbs up Finally!

Hey Daven and all...

I know that you have probably heard more than you needed/wanted for input. (LOL!) but I just wanted you to know that there is another person that totally supports you. me!

I am member #7692 and signed up after coming for a few months. I made a "donation" before you even had a fan club, I did not doante to see the the fan club, I donated because this site is filled with inspiration and I would GREATLY miss it if it weren't here. And I truly believe that NOTHING IS FREE.

However this past summer I got a notice that my fan club membership was almost up and it was time to pay up again. I nearly didn't. Why? because I hardly come here anymore because of how slow everything is.
And I miss it.
I miss checking out the new posts everyday....I miss spending time on the threads...I miss it all!

My only question is: why not make it a permanment thing?

Not that I think you guys are making a profit, but if you were, you deserve it! I can't even imagine the time that you spend maintaining SCS site. That is time that could be spent with your family.

Anyhow, thanks for all that you do, and know that no matter what there are those of us that can and will support SCS.

I say do what you have to do to keep SCS running. Because what is your other choice? TO close it down? Then no one would benefit.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #613
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I think we have been very fortunate to have this site for free and have been wondering why we didn't pay in the first place. I was willing to pay when I began using this sight, it has been a Godsend to not only myself but my customers as well! So I think it's about time you charged for all the hard work you do and the wonderful things this site brings to all of us stampers out here !!!!!!!!! Thanks again for this fantastic site, Tammy
Old 09-23-2005, 09:25 AM   #614
Glitter Queen

Thumbs up yes!

I think it is only reasonable. I thought it was worth it when I first came on to see the site and I agree more every day. I'm already a member.

I've been in a place where $20 was a lot before but even for those that are on limited budgets that is very workable. The ideas are worth so much more than that fee.

Great job
Marcia
Old 09-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #615
Crimping Master

Hmmm, I have read through all the post here and have a thought of my own. I think that everyone enjoys the gallery and would love to continue to do so, but sometimes finances just don't permit a 20 or 25 dollar expense during any given month. While these people would love to join, often an extra 25 dollars isn't feasable in one chunk. What if you offered a month by month subscription too? Say it is 25 to join for a year or say 3 dollars a month. That way people who can't afford to shell out 25 dollars at once can join month by month. I know most of us can shell out 3 dollars a month. Then SCS will also be getting an extra 11 dollars a year for allowing the option of monthly payments. (kind of like interest). I think that this would help out everyone.

Just a thought.

Cri

Whoa! When my reply came up on the 16th or so page of comments I realized that I haven't read all the responses...whoops, I just hit reply when I got to the bottom of the first page. So..I apologize if my suggestion is a repeat of someone else's within the thread.

Cri

Last edited by coribravo; 09-23-2005 at 09:38 AM..
Old 09-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #616
Compulsive Stamper

After giving this considerable thought and contemplating all the replies. I would have to agree with the majority. Although I am an SU demonstrator and do receive wonderful ideas from them, I am so addicted to this site, I would be sad to be without it. Truth be told, I have received more ideas here than all the mags I subscribe to combined!

Understanding technology as I do, I was always surprised by the low cost associated with such an obviously-growing overhead. God is good to all of us to direct all of you and your talents to this cause.

Many credible ideas have been listed thus far and I won't take the time to repeat them here. I trust that you will do what's right in your hearts and heads to keep the passion you started something all can participate in.

God Bless All of You!

Diane
Old 09-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #617
Kookie Creator

I am behind your decision all the way. I was just getting ready for a Stamp Camp and realized I didnt know how to clean my foam brayer. And, I wanted to take a look at a card I want to case. After a few clicks, I had everything I needed. So, I am taking the time to say, thank you. I appreciate the efforts of the people who keep this site running. I will continue to support this site. Make the decision that is best for the integrity of this site from your perspective. You know best what is needed. I offer my opinion because you asked. Ultimately, you should make the decision that works for you. Thank you for considering our opinions. You will not lose this member.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:32 AM   #618
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up I'm In!!

I just paid my $24.95 to become a member. I'll all for supporting an outstanding creative resource. The gallery is still accessible to all, and more active particpation is worth paying for. Heck, I've spent lots more at Starbucks, but I spend a whole lot more time out on SCS.

Keep up the good work and rest of us will follow!!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #619
Stazon Splitcoast

I hate that it has to come to this, but I know that Daven and all others concerned agonized over this!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #620
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin_melissa
Hehe, maybe we're looking at this all wrong????

Maybe people who post "lots" should have to ante up a fee?

*pretending to look innocent*

After all, doesn't that show who uses it more?

*ducking the ripe tomatoes being thrown*
NOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!

Then I'd have to save up all my *ahem* comments and post them all at once...

.* .*))
-::-
((.*~
Beth.*))
-::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

I'm always up to Something...
My Daughter is up to stuff too!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:50 AM   #621
Glitter Queen

Default About time!

I wish to start this by saying I am the epitomy of a lurker .... I do not post, i read. However this thread has driven me out of lurkdom. For those who can not afford the $25 a year, I am sorry. We all have budgets and some luxuries, yes this is a luxury are not within them. That said, I think what Daven is trying to say is the luxury of upgrading this site is NOT within his family budget. Who are we to expect him to upgrade this site out of his own pocket? Who are we to complain when he asked for help? Give me a break! I have been a member for quite some time and did join the DD fan club a few months back because I felt the need to contribute. I know the cost of a site like this, I know the time investment. I also know the stress of trying to come up with the funds to support it. Many years ago in the infancy of the internet my husband and brother wrote an online game. We had a T1 conection, servers, the works... it was expensive! People loved it but complained about spending $10 a month to play.. we solved this by selling the game itself to other bulletin boards and made lots of money selling it to other providers who were then going to be in the same boat as we were..... trying to recoup our investment! The SCS team does not have this option, the only way to recoup the funds to keep this site running is through their members. We use it we should pay. If you can't afford to use it, then like a membership to the health spa, it is just not something that is a part of your world. We do not live in a communist society and we can not expect businesses to give everyone the same service for nothing. If the site had stayed at 100 members i am sure Daven could have continued to come up with the money to run it through donations pop-ups etc... but a site with 40,000 members costs way more to run. Enough said. Keep up the good work and I will gladly renew when my subscription runs out... just like my newspaper and TV guide and gardening magazines .... i get far less information and inspiration from those and i spend a hell of a lot more money on them!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:56 AM   #622
Cardstock Collector

Could you PLEASE make it easy for people to join the fan club. I've been meaning to for some time - had problems with pay pal when I last tried and therefore didn't. HOWEVER, NOW I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE FAN CLUB BUT CANNOT FIND HOW!!!! I have tried several links and ways to possibly find the way to donate. Could you PLEASE make a link from the home page???? Or, if there is already a link, make it much more obvious???? Donations can only help make the site better - don't make it impossibly difficult to donate. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Stampingly Yours
Joan Nelshoppen
[email protected]

Postscript: OK, I finally found the way. You need to go to "about us" and then to "fan club." I'm happily a member now. I still think there should be a link from the home page.

Last edited by stampingly yours; 09-23-2005 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: new info
Old 09-23-2005, 09:59 AM   #623
Pearl-ExPert

I didn't think I'd be able to subscribe, but I sold some stamps I never use and got the $$ to subscribe. SCS has been the best! I come here almost every day to take in the forums and browse the gallery. There's no other site like this out there and if our donations will help build a better, faster site, I'm all for that. Plus I get to see the DD gallery now!!!! Yippee!!!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:59 AM   #624
Gallery Gazer

Red face Like it? Yes and No

First off, I am already a Fan Club member. But that fact wasn't true at first.

I loved the idea someone made of giving you your first 60 days free. I first started coming because I could upload my card ideas and get some feedback. The idea of paying for the Fan Club seemed awful to me......at first. After a little while, I was definitely hooked and HAD to become a Fan Club member because I was thankful that I HAD a place to upload and share.

I think $25 a year is reasonable. I actually haven't noticed the gallery being too slow because I had dial-up (a whopping 26.4kp a second). I recently got DSL and, for me, the gallery is screaming fast. But, I can see why waiting a while for those used to DSL can be frustrating. It also may be a factor that I usually visit late evening (PT) when all the East Coasters are sleeping.

I understand that the decision is 'temporary'......at least for now. BUT, if we were ALL Fan Club members, would that be enough money to have a faster gallery? Or, would you still have the same problem of speed with all the paid traffic?

I also like the other idea someone had about limiting the size of our upload. Since I don't know the procedure after I have uploaded, I don't know if the moderators resize my file before it is posted or not. BUT, if our file size was already limited in size, wouldn't that also save the moderators time in approving?

I also like someone's idea of cleaning up the user database for those over a year old and inactive.

I support your decisions as I know they are hard decisions to make. It will never be an MJB world (you can please some of the people all the time, or all the people some of the time).

Thanks, Daven and Tracey for asking for our input. I know that you want the site to be successful!! I know that it was originally an SU site but I really appreciate other manufacturers being welcome!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:03 AM   #625
Mad Swapper

Talking

Yippie! I just paid for my yearly subscription! I'm feeling very guilty that I didn't do it before!

Just a little FYI here to those that say they can't afford it- I am a single mother, have been unemployed since March, only income I have is as a part time demo with about $2000 in sale/mo. I have a house payment, utilities, food, medical and all the other day to day living expenses that everyone else has. I couldn't AFFORD to lose this wonderful site! So I'll scrimp and go without for a bit, even if it means Mac & Cheese and hot dogs for the next month, not driving to visit friends or family to save on gas, and heaven forbid, not buying that cute little stamp set that I really wanted!

This site has given me so much more than any magazine subscription could, plus it takes up a lot less space! I can see hundreds of new ideas daily, learn countless new techniques, get business tips from real people, and most important of all, the friendships that I have made here! They are invaluable, priceless and precious to me, that I could not put a price tag on! (Plus it's a lot cheeper than therapy!!)

I say if you can afford to stamp, you can afford to pay the $24.95!

"What am I doing here? I should be stamping!"
My gallery
Old 09-23-2005, 10:10 AM   #626
SCS Founder

Default check the op

hello everyone, lots of great feedback!

please check the original post again as I've added some further comments at the bottom and also answers to some of the questions that've come up repeatedly.

check the original post again for answers to these questions:
Quote:

What about free trial memberships?
What about a tiered membership system?
What about partial-year memberships?
What if we trimmed down the number of uploads or restricted uploads in some way?
Why do uploads have to be restricted for non-Fan Club members?

Needs a sig

Last edited by splitcoaststampers; 09-23-2005 at 10:14 AM..
Old 09-23-2005, 10:11 AM   #627
Matboard Maniac

Question good question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanwee1

OH! One more question! Will I still be able to access my Favorites if I don't subscribe right after the Oct 1 change-over?

Thanks!
~Melanie
I have that same questions...guess I'll read on to find the answer hopefully...
Old 09-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #628
Die Cut Diva

I am a member of the fan club because I wanted to contribute to your expenses. I would be willing to pay a yearly fee for the gallery because it would still be cheaper and better than any magazine out there.

visit my site: www.danahatch.com
Old 09-23-2005, 10:15 AM   #629
Kookie Creator

Default I don't mind paying at all - and I do! BUT!

BTW - didn't read through all the posts, but does everyone realize that, CMIIW, the donation is going to increase to $24.95, if it hasn't already?

Originally Posted by laurakj
Personally, the gallery is what keeps me here. Without it and the abitity to search by set, I don't know if I'd come here at all. I think if you take away the gallery, you will lose a large number of your members.

I have to agree with the above statement that many non-demo stampers will not visit the site at all without access to the Gallery. Even though, IMHO they should be willing to pay to keep the site up, many will not. A couple of my customers already mentioned to me that they could not find samples for certain current SU! sets that I was encouraging them to buy - so I know they rely on it for ideas, as do I. I refer all of my stampers/customers to SCS - I think what they see there helps keep me in business - truly!

To speed up the site, is it possible that posts older than, say, one or two years could be eliminated from the Gallery? Wouldn't this free up a lot of "space" and speed things up a little? There are so many wonderful projects uploaded each day, do we need to still see those that are years old? Styles and what's in vogue right now change often.
How about (this might raise a little ire) eliminating retired sets from the Gallery list?
Or maybe deny non Fan Club members "search" capabilities in the Gallery?
Or have levels of subscription? Just throwing things out here....
I agree totally that there should be areas where non Fan Club viewers cannot go, but the Gallery? I think that's a mistake. And, selfishly, I think it will cost me sales, too.
They say never volunteer for anything, but I would pay a little more if I had to if it would keep the Gallery in general open to all.
Stampinsue
Sue Duffy
P.S. No uploads if you're not a Fan Club member

Last edited by Sue Duffy; 09-23-2005 at 10:19 AM..
Old 09-23-2005, 10:16 AM   #630
Glitter Guru

Here is my 2 cents worth.

I love the gallery and the resources that it holds.

Uploading to it can't be limited. Just because you are a fan club member does not mean that you are more creative than other people.

Stampers and crafters are often VERY budget conscious (not good spellers!)
Charging a fee is going to alienate MANY great, creative ladies.

Having experienced SCS, I would probably pay, if it were reasonable. However I believe the quality in the gallery will go down. However as a new person, surfing the web and finding splitcoast, I would not have paid to come here in the first place. I am strongly against paying for services like this online. My brother-in-law makes big bucks on the internet by making his sites virtually FREE.

So, here's my idea and compromise.

Determine the high traffice times of the day 8am to 8pm eastern time? AND charge for access to the gallery during those times. AND that's it. Fan club members would have this service included - perhaps you can change the fee accordingly. Anyone else who wants to surf the gallery any time of the day or night can pay an "all access" fee of whatever you think. You'll have to adapt the site to only give access to those people during certain hours. Like the demo section etc. Everyone else can search the gallery on the off peak hours. I think this would be fair and will not force out those creative people who can't afford to pay. It'll give those of us with unlimited income the freedom to search without the slow down, and it will NOT DISCRIMINATE based on anything.

Personally I love the gallery, but I work and have a one year old so I can only surf the gallery on off peak hours. I am not directly impacted by the high volume and it isn't completely fair to me (who is usually online at 1 am and after) to pay to see the gallery when I am not causing the traffic jam. However I do understand the issues you are facing.

A few questions I have are....

1.) will the forums still be free?
(If not, you are going to have to do something about the people who host swaps and steal everything sent to them by never swapping them out - I say steal because that is what they are doing.)

2.) If you charge for the forums, could you please separtate the swap forums into smaller groups so that swaps aren't so easily lost?

3.) by charging a fee, don't you think that your traffic will go down there by causing a decrease in traffic generated revenue

4.) Have you ever considered selling a product to generate revenue? Like the T-shirts but other products as well?

5.) Have you considered the fact that not 100% of people who post here saying "Yes, I'll pay it" actually will?

Good luck with your plans - I hope they don't end up hurting the site, it is a wonderful thing that you have created and very valuable to many, many people.

Thank you for all you have done for us.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #631
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it's a fine idea. I mean, I spend $20+ for a year's subscription to monthly magazines that are one-third to one-half advertising.

I know you will do what's best for the site in terms of making it the best resource that will WORK when its members need it too.

Good luck!
Michelle C., #12400
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/hookandstamp
Old 09-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #632
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinChristy
I forgot something. I do think that this is a good idea! I also agree with those who have stated that it's not a bad thing if the SCS team were doing this to make more money (even though I don't think they are). With all the hours and hard work they put into making this the wonderful site it is, they deserve to be compensated! I personally love this site and truly appreciate all of your hard work!

THANK YOU
I totally agree

He's Here!!! Ashton Carter born 1/5/09
Old 09-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #633
Cardstock Collector

I am new to this site and have found it very helpful. As someone on a very limited budget I do not know if I can pay a fee. I would like to know just what I will be able to go into if I can not pay. It may make a difference as to if I come back if I can no longer get ideas and help with making cards. I have loved looking at all the cards that people post to get ideas. I am new at this and I know that I am not the only one who is new. I hoped that this group of very helpfull people will still be able to help us new people. I hope to be able to come back and view items to help me. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Bryan's Mom; 09-23-2005 at 10:52 AM..
Old 09-23-2005, 10:39 AM   #634
Polyshrink Goddess

Your plan of action makes perfect sense to me. Good luck with the upgrades and thanks for all the hard work you all put in to make this site AMAZING each and every day!!!

Steph Leider
Old 09-23-2005, 10:40 AM   #635
Rubber Obsessor

I belong to another paid community and I wouldn't trade it for the world. If it's a temporary measure that's fine. If it becomes a permanent thing, I do have one suggestion. The gallery is one of the main selling points of this site. I would give a free preview to new members to see what it is they are missing. (Like say 2 weeks to a month.)
Old 09-23-2005, 10:47 AM   #636
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Lightbulb Fan Club Overload???

I have been a member here for a while and have only recently become an active poster. I would love to be a more integral part of this site as it is very inspiring and warm. I am not a demo, though often asked, "Why not?" The thing is, these sites are my social lifelines and motivation to create. I am deaf and live in a hearing world. The quote, "Blindenss separates us from things, Deafness separates us from people" by Helen Keller is true.
To pay for the access to SCS would be well worth being a part of this wonderful place. The big question is though, if everyone pays for the Fan Club membership the overload issue will not go away. There will still be many, many people trying to access the same pages. Would it be possible to have set hours for non Fan Club memebers to view?? This way limiting the traffic flow during peak hours to Club members? Kind of like the car pool lane?? I think limiting the galleries and Fan Club sign ups until a remedy is made is the best bet. I will be signing up for my memebership as soon as our meek budget allows, until then I will limit my gallery visits to the late night hours so that paying members can get in easier.
Thanks for all the effort to make this as easy as possible for everyone!

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time

Last edited by scrapaholic007; 09-23-2005 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: ETA: I found the money and paid my Fan Club Fees, happily. :)
Old 09-23-2005, 10:47 AM   #637
Crimping Master

It's just for a month!

I think it's a perfectly reasonable solution to a problem. One alternative could be to shut down the gallery completely for a month.
Some people may choose to spend their limited dollars on other, more neccesary things. Then they will have to give up partial access to the gallery for a month. Life is all about choices. If you don't subscribe, that is the choice you make. You will do without complete access to the gallery for a month.
I have subscribed to the Fan Club because I made that choice. I bought one less stamp set, or subscribed to one less mag, bought less expensive food, etc.
We all make choices on how to spend our money. We all must decide what has value to us. The Nolta's are being more than generous in providing this site to so many for free. It's sad that people are commenting on how much money they will be making. In my opinion, they have every right to charge any amount they want. You have a choice to buy or not.

Thank you for this great site . I support your decision.

My Gallery
Capricious Creations

Old 09-23-2005, 10:51 AM   #638
Crimping Master

I love this site. I support Daven and Tracy. I will willingly pay to continue to enjoy the wonderful benefits I find here.

Mary
Old 09-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #639
HB
Mad Swapper

I have been a member of this site for 2 years (my member # is 872 - Wow!) and have not only gotten fabulous ideas, but I have met some of the most fantastic people. People that I would never have gotten the chance to meet and call my friends. Daven, I support you 1000% with whatever it is you need to do. Thank you for (initially) making your wife happy and as a result making an awful lot of "other" women happy too .

My SCS gallery: HB
Old 09-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #640
Gabfest Goddess

Default Permanent Change

I really think this should be a permanent change.

The people who are not willing to pay the fan club fee will only NOT have access to the gallery for the amount of time it takes to make the upgrades. Then they will have complete access again, if I understand correctly.

So the people who won't (notice I said "won't", not "can't") contribute will still have the same benefits as those of us who are willing to contribute.

I know some people simply cannot afford to join, which I understand completely. I have had to give up a few luxuries to be able to afford my stamping addiction.

But those of us who are willing and able to pay should enjoy some sort of benefit over those who are not willing to pay.
Closed Thread