Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 05:10 AM   #481
Cardstock Collector

Default Newbie's response

Hello. I just signed up, and I have to say, that it is probably a good idea to have a supported site. I have seen a few posts that would like to see the upload stay free, but if the option to view the gallery isn't free, I'm not sure how many non-paid members would continue to upload if they cannot view the galleries.
I know that the gallery is very extensive, but is there a way to determine if the majority of up-loaders are Fan Club members or just regular posters to the site?
That estimation might help to determine who is privy to what benefits.

I think the idea of having tiers for non-paid members and paid members is a good one.

I am not a SU! rep and I haven't joined the Fan Club yet, but plan to do so as I have already gotten a great idea or two off this site and have only visited twice!

Thanks!
Conni
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:11 AM   #482
Mad Swapper

Well, I guess I have to admit that I would pay the fee IF it improved my ability to view things. I do enjoy the gallery. I also own a business with a website. Good sites cost money to maintain. This is not just a good site, it is wonderful!

I am not an SU rep, I actually am a demo for another company. But, I LOVE this site. I love the ideas. I love the friendships. I love having a great place to come when I am tired and need a break. I love coming here when I am in the middle of a project and can't think of anything creative.

I will join the fan club and support this faster gallery! I do expect it to be faster if I pay for it. I don't want to kid. If every member paid the $25 you could certainly have an Ebay speed quality website! So I expect a lot I suppose. But, I will give this a shot! I look forward to being able to enjoy this site more!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:12 AM   #483
Pearl-ExPert

I just don't know how you managed to operate this site free for so long. I completely support your changes, as difficult as it must have been to decide to implement them. Thanks for letting us come over to play.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:12 AM   #484
Crimping Master

Dudes, while it is awesome to sometimes find something wonderful that makes you go "I cannot believe that this is free!!!" goods and services cost money (and this kind of service is a lot of $$). I have felt like this about libraries, but then I realized that I do pay taxes that pay for libraries.

I not only support the membership fees, but I would also bc OK with the people who run this site making a little money for their time and effort. I cannot imagine the amout of time and energy that goes into maintaining and managing a site with tens of thousands of members. That is crazy and I am in awe of the people who have stepped up to the plate for the past few years to do it for nothing! I totally support the fees and thank you for doing everything you could to keep it free for so long!

My stuff (I think I am starting to get the hang of this obsession!):
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=7739
Old 09-23-2005, 05:17 AM   #485
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterPixie
If you think Daven and Tracy are trying to make money off of this site, you are best going somewhere else.
DITTO!!!!!

And honestly, what if they did make money on it? Why on earth shouldn't they? The amount of time and effort they put in to this site certainly deserves some compensation. Maybe some people think that they have nothing better to do than play around with SCS, but that's not the case. The wonderful work they do here is on top of their other jobs, their children, etc. I say if they get enough money to have a little extra after gallery upgrades or whatever are done, more power to them!!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:20 AM   #486
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

I joined the DD Fan Club after being on this site for about 1 month. I'll pay my $20 ONCE per year anytime. This site and the talent on here are awesome. I too am on a budget most of the time, but this is well worth it. Remember for most of us (not including demos) this is usually our hobby/craft/OBSESSION. I totally understand that for Daven and Tracy this website can be a FULL-time job probably. Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:21 AM   #487
Matboard Maniac

Default tiers

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturalmom
I like the idea of tiered membership also. I don't know if I can pay the $25 until I've saved for it.

What about:

$10 basic membership: forums, limited gallery access (maybe items from the last week?) and ability to upload

$20 full membership: forums, gallery access, upload ability

$25 premier or deluxe membership: forums, gallery, upload ability and dirty dozen...
This may sound pretty sensible for the end users, but I'm wondering if it would be a lot of extra work for the already overworked staff to keep track of all of the levels and who is in each one, whereas "member" and "non-Member" would be simpler. Is there also a possiblilty that certain items discussed in the forums may only be relevant to one tier and become confusing for the rest? Just a thought.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:29 AM   #488
Crimping Master

Default Thanks for correcting me...

Okay, thanks for everyone correcting my math error. When I joined it was $20. And when I calculated the cost, I was doing so quickly as I was on the phone with a staff person and typing at the same time.

But whatever the cost BREAKDOWN...I know that people still on limited budgets could choose to join or not. Just like I could choose to have DSL or dial-up connection, or a cell phone with text & picture or just regular phone...

I would like to know how many people that say they couldn't afford the subscription have the following:

--cable TV
--cell phone(s)
--DSL or other internet connection (faster than dial-up)
--eat out more than 2x per week
--have a car less than 3 years old

I could go on. Someone posted that they can find better business ideas somewhere else on the web. That's what it's all about. Choice. I choose to support SCS because I love this site!

Tish
P.S. Give new people a free one-month membership. They will be hooked and they will join. And if not, that's their choice. There are many talented people here...now when I look in the magazines, I think...the people on SCS are way better "artists"!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:30 AM   #489
Matboard Maniac

Default membership

First let me say how much I LOVE this site! I joined the fan club shortly after discovering this AWESOME place. It is worth SO much more than $20/year!!! I'd give up all magazine subscriptions to be able to view the gallery here!
I'm not a SU! demonstrator and I can't imagine a demo who couldn't justify the expense of a membership to access this site no matter what the price. Come to think of it, if you stamp at all with the fine products SU!, you're likely obsessed and would rather spend money on stamps than food! And that would include a fee to access Splitcoaststampers!
Keep up the excellent work!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:31 AM   #490
Mad Swapper

Please continue to do what you have to so we can have this wonderful site!

Thank you for all you do for the stamping community!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:32 AM   #491
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenmouer
...IMO I would have it remain a "paid" site for the long haul...the only suggestions I would have is *if it is possible*

$25 subscription - full access to everything and upload capabilities...

$10 subscription - full access to all gallerys EXCEPT Fan Club gallery and NO upload capabilities...

I do think some galleries should be open to all to see so it could wet their whistles....after all if someone can't play with it how will they fall in love with it and buy it

Paying a nominal fee could be an excellent solution to the difficulties. I would not mind paying the fee (have been "meaning" to for some time...and not gotten to it). I love the ideas submitted by Jenmouer for a tier-level payment scheme.

If there is to be a "fee only" viewing, perhaps the fees could and should now be lower than $25, as there will be hundreds, perhaps a thousand or more paying viewers..... The revenue from that many new members will be very high. I'm sure more than 50% of current users will pay before Oct. 1, so as not to lose this valuable resource. (Hence, a continued "bog" through the month of Oct.)

Could SCS provide a form of receipt for demonstrators who will claim the fee as a business expense?

As this is mainly a resource for demonstrators, is it necessary for non-demo's to have access to the gallery? Perhaps SU demo's have access, non-demo's have fee-based access...?

We are all one child spinning through Mother Sky. (Shawnee proverb)

My little blog: http://mypaperantics.blogspot.com/

My Webshots albums:http://community.webshots.com/user/stampinusa[/url]
Old 09-23-2005, 05:36 AM   #492
Die Cut Diva

I can understand why you may have to resort to this. I do have a question about Canadians paying for it though. I don't have Pay Pal so my only other option is a money order in American Funds. When I purchase an American money order through my bank there is a $5 service fee plus the exchange rate so a $25 membership fee actually costs me almost $35 per year. This has been the reason why I haven't joined yet.

Susan

ttp://gallery.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=15458
Old 09-23-2005, 05:43 AM   #493
Insane Embellisher

Thumbs up $

I don't know how you've done what you've done and still managed to keep your sanity. $25 is very reasonable for a year's worth of terrific ideas. I've been a fan club member -- but I can't remember when I'm due to renew. On top of everything you have going on, will we get a reminder?

Keep up the good work, your site is the only one I go to now for ideas. When you're good 'er good.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:45 AM   #494
Compulsive Stamper

Default Ask for a donation..??

Why don't you ask for a donations. With everyone who looks at this site, I think it would only be fair to donate a few dollars.... this is such a great site, and this is a way to keep it 'Free'. I would donate.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #495
Hardware Hotshot

Thumbs up I'm in!

I am a Fan Club member... and $20 or $25 a year is cheaper than buying a few Stamping magazines... and a higher # of ideas and samples than I can even imagine.

Why would people expect it to be free?
So much time, effort and money goes into a website - I admin a small, simple site for the organization I work for and I cannot even fathom how much goes into this complex site.

I only read the first and last pages of this thread.... but I was dismayed at the "if I can't have it free than I'm not comin'" attitude.
I don't get the feeling of "entitlement" to the site's content.

I have been very frustrated re: wait times at the galleries and for that reason do not utilize my membership much. I just don't have time to sit and wait. I would like to be able to use my membership more.
If restricting the site to the paying members will make the site easier to navigate than I say YAY! I'm excited just thinking about it!

As far as restricting uploads - isn't it worth it to the artist to pay $20-$25 a year for advertising their artwork?? Think of how many more people see your work! It's all good.

So - I say YAY for the change and cannot wait to try it out after Oct. 1.

Ireland
Old 09-23-2005, 05:49 AM   #496
Cardstock Collector

Default Super Granny

Nothing is free. I'm relatively new to stamping and your website is wonderful. Stamping magazines cost $8-15 per issue. You can join the Fan Club for a measly $2 a month. If you can't afford that, you shouldn't be doing this hobby in the first place. I just signed up. Thanks again. Cindy
Old 09-23-2005, 05:49 AM   #497
Cardstock Collector

Default Thank you, Thank you for all of your hard work!

I am supportive of the fee. I often think about the hours that go into the site and the sacrifice that it must be to those who have worked so hard to create an incredible site. You all are awesome!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:54 AM   #498
Ms. Brightside

Location: On the verge of greatness and the brink of insanity!

Frankly, I am suprised that this wasn't done before. I am a member of several web sites that require a yearly fee. You all work so hard to give us the opportunity to share with each other. The least I can do is share some money to help keep this site the quality place it has been. You have my full support.

I don't really stamp much. I'm just here for the company.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:57 AM   #499
Inking Addict

Anyone who feels that the fan club fee is not worth the all inspiration and information that we recieve here shouldn't be here. I know exactly how much time and money it takes to maintain a site like this and it is purely selfish of those that say they would not pay for access to the gallery. I feel the only creative inspiration that we will lose in the gallery are those that are too selfish to support the site.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:58 AM   #500
Polyshrink Goddess

Charge away!!! Good night we all justify stamps, accessories and so on, we can not compensate someone for their work? We get paid to stamp, right?

My hubby is an IT head and I know how much $$$ it takes to keep those machines and software going.

Hooray for you for not just throwing in the towel but slowly and kindly and consideratly (is that a word?) trying to make changes.

I say I support SCS, the changes you are making and fees you charge!!

COUNT ME IN!!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:59 AM   #501
Proud Fan Club Member

As a new member to this site, I have learned more in two days and haven't had access to the gallery during all that time. However, the tutorials alone are worth the investment and that is what I consider this site -- an investment in my ability to grow my business and my techniques! I applaud all the efforts of those who are creating and sharing. For me, I cannot imagine having access to this site and consider it more valuable than the multitude of magazines I subscribe to! I'm joining right now!

Thanks again for your efforts and to all who share, you are so very much appreciated!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:00 AM   #502
Glitter Queen

Thumbs up I concur...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tish101
I would like to know how many people that say they couldn't afford the subscription have the following:

--cable TV
--cell phone(s)
--DSL or other internet connection (faster than dial-up)
--eat out more than 2x per week
--have a car less than 3 years old

I could go on. Someone posted that they can find better business ideas somewhere else on the web. That's what it's all about. Choice. I choose to support SCS because I love this site!

Tish
P.S. Give new people a free one-month membership. They will be hooked and they will join. And if not, that's their choice. There are many talented people here...now when I look in the magazines, I think...the people on SCS are way better "artists"!

I agree with Tish101. How many times have we spent money on things that we don't end up using? I use this site just about every day. I don't mind paying $20 for access. AND I also agree with the one month free memebership....newbies need to know this site is wonderul a resource !
Old 09-23-2005, 06:00 AM   #503
Compulsive Stamper

Default I agree

I agree that it is time that something be done about how slow checking out the gallery has become and I'm thankful that you guys are able to do that. Although I'm sure there are viewers who will leave SCS because they aren't able to check out "everything" for free anymore - those of us who are staying will still be able to learn and grow from what is shared here. Thank you for all your hard work.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:02 AM   #504
Kookie Creator

I joined the Fan Club back when I did just because I thought the site was worth it!! Viewing the DD Gallery was just an added bonus!

THANKS for all your hard work and dedication!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:03 AM   #505
Rubber Obsessor

I came onto to the SCS site just over a year ago. I joined the Fan Club within a few weeks just to support this great site.

I know that you will lose some people over this. You might even lose your #1 stamping spot (although I doubt it, people will be accessing the gallery, just not posting so much!).

I will pay and willingly. I don't upload much, for me that's not the issue. But, I believe that the $20.00 is nothing compared to the joy, inspiration and fun that SCS brings to my life.

I can't believe how long you've been able to keep this site running for nothing from us.
You are a great bunch. I'm sure you've agonized over this decision. I believe you're making the right one.

One Happy Stamper,
Judith Burns
Blue Ridge, Alberta
Old 09-23-2005, 06:07 AM   #506
Polly Pocket

Well, I haven't had time to read all of the responses, but I do want to say that I love this site! I'm all for doing whatever it takes to keep it running. The ideas that I've gotten from the gallery are priceless!! Thank you so much to everyone who has made that possible.

Please excuse my lack of computer knowledge, but I do have a question. Maybe I should start another thread about this, but would it help the problems with this site if we trimmed down our galleries a little bit? I'm sure that each of us could cut out a card or two that was cased, cards we're not crazy about, and cards that may be the same design but posted in different color combos. Like I said, I don't claim to know how to run a website. I just want to try to help somehow.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #507
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

Well,thanks so much for even asking,this is your site and you know better what it needs to be done,don't worry go ahead you'll have enough people to join in,sure you'll have to have some kind of limited free access,keep up the good work!!!

Gina Florencia
Old 09-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #508
Matboard Maniac

Looking at the numbers this morning, there are 140,000 photos in the member galleries and 700,000+ messages stored here. Maybe it's time to clean house. Maybe everyone who has photos posted should go through them and clean out the ones that they aren't in love with. How long are messages relative? I don't know - it's just a suggestion. I love the site and would miss the stamp set gallery very much. Need to get off my butt and send a cheque.

Darline
Old 09-23-2005, 06:09 AM   #509
Stazon Splitcoast

Cool SO MANY OPINIONS!

I read through 200 posts and couldn't read anymore.

Someone may have mentioned a demo only site and I may have missed it.
The site I am thinking of is $40 per year with an additional month thrown in for subscribing for the year. Posting is limited to stamping. I see many posts directing people to SCS for samples and techniques, they can access SCS because it is free.

All of the options suggested would only cause Daven & Tracy to spend more time keeping up with different levels of membership etc. Lets keep it easy & simple, $24.95 per year for the gallery. I vote for a permanent fee to access the gallery, it is not to much to ask for the great ideas. I don't like to do magazine subscriptions so each month I made sure I had the currant issues of about 7 stamping related magazines. Now I buy just a few.

I happen to be a part of the group that recently gave 2 scholarships to DD, we had previously given 1.

I know the forums are not included in the fee but just think of the added pleasure we have sharing with each other.

Thanks to Davin,Tracy & all the moderators.

I wore Red Panties, now I wear white!!
Don't mess with Old People!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:11 AM   #510
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up WOO FREAKIN' HOO!! A BIG THANK YOU!

Daven you and Tracey have been so OVER THE TOP generous with sharing this site with everyone. I don't think for many it is a matter of being able to afford the $25 dollars or not, or being able to veiw the entire site. I paid my money, twice, and bought tee shirts to say thank you to the both of you! Obviously you can not please everyone all the time. It's just not possible. This place is amazing, and the primary decision making factor behind myself becoming a Demo. I am all for a "pay for play plan" Not just for the gallery, but for the ENTIRE SITE.

Here's a suggestion for you....take the site back to it's original intent to be used for Tracey's downline!!! Would I be sad, you bet I would. But the fact of the matter is it is your site, and you are ENTITLED to do what ever you need to!!! Props to you Big D and Tracey!!

SCS member #7026

Last edited by otter005; 09-23-2005 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: spelling!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:14 AM   #511
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

I think $2.00 a month for this web site is worth every penny. I will join, only I will not go Paypal. I would like to send a check for my year.

Is is $20.00 or $25.00? I have been reading through the comments and have seen both figures.

As far as I am concerned the SCS web site is the best! I will become a member for sure.
Joelyn
Old 09-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #512
Die Cut Diva

Default For me, this is a no-brainer...

I only started stamping a few months ago, and was quite intimidated by the whole concept at first. Then an SU demo turned me on to SCS. I will gladly pay the membership fee...in fact, I didn't realize that's what the Fan Club was. I often pay $1 or $2 for a sample card that I really like, or $5 for a magazine devoted to cardmaking. Why wouldn't I spend $20-$25 for a whole year's worth of wonderful ideas! I'm headed off to sign up now. Thanks for all your wonderful work.
Linda Riesgraf
Old 09-23-2005, 06:20 AM   #513
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up I'm IN!

Ok, after the initial shock (What was I thinking?!) and sleeping over this (And dreaming about getting a degree in SCS EDUCATION! LOL) I decided that I'm in! Talked to my sweet hubby who actually said, "WOW! That's a bargain given how much you use that site!" So I took that as a yes and paid my dues! After reading more of the posts I could see what an idiot I'd been, a greedy, insensitive munchkin....and I've seen the light! Tracy & Daven deserve compensation, we've all been paid by their generosity and great idea's, it's about time they get their reward too. I apologize for the initial hesitation and for not doing this sooner. Thanks for a really, REALLY great site! ((((((HUGS))))))
~Melanie
Old 09-23-2005, 06:22 AM   #514
Crimping Master

Talking

I just wanted to add my two cents after reading the first 8 pages of this post...

I signed up to be a demo march 2004...I was TOLD by my upline to sign up for this exclusive SU Demo site only and it cost me $40 a year! Yes I did say $40...
Well then I discovered SCS and I fell in love...So even while I had that expensive membership...I started to get very unhappy cause here was a FREE site that had SO MANY MORE ideas and wonderful templates and WONDERFUL advice and instructions....and the site I was paying a fortune for wasn't what this was...back then I thought they are NUTS not to charge for this site...if even a minimum fee to help pay some of the costs....

When my membership expired to the other site I joined the DD gallery because what a steal it became to me...I mean here is a website with thousands of ideas, personal instructors and templates...

When youhonestly sit back and think and figure out how many HOURS A DAY you spend on here the cost is minimal...So to pay I have to give up that fast food meal out or even drink water instead of some soda...it is worth every cent...

I know that my DD Gallery membership isn't up yet for renewal but I have decided to gift a membership to my beloved downline so that she may continue to benefit from this wonderful teaching tool...Besides if this site every went away I would loose such a fabulous teaching tool for our Thursday get togethers I would be heartbroken!!!

So please don't complain...just pitch in a little to keep this wonderful site up and running for all to enjoy..and if you can...donate a little extra for a gift membership for someone who is very active here and participates but can't afford it...It will be so worth it in the long run and as Karma runs...it will be returned to upon you threefold...

Best wishes Daven & Tracey for continuing to make this such a wonderful site for all of us to enjoy!!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:26 AM   #515
Cardstock Collector

Default Willing to Pay

I woul dbe more than willing to pay for to be a memember. I have CASED more cards from here than anywhere else. Do it!! I am sure those who live here and do not want to pay will pay eventually to get the access they are used to now!

Ashley
Old 09-23-2005, 06:30 AM   #516
Rubber Obsessor

Just about everything I have learned about stamping, I have learned from this site. I honest to God do not know what I would do or where I would go if this site didn't exist. 99% of my inspiration comes from this site. If I have a question about ANYTHING I can ask it here or at least find the answer because it's already been asked. I completely support Daven's decision about this, I know I would even pay more if it was asked.

Steph
Old 09-23-2005, 06:30 AM   #517
Forum Fanatic

I'm already a fan club member so the change won't affect me, but I'd still like to address some things that kind of stuck with me when I read this.

Right now it a financially miserable time on the east coast for anyone that owns a car and has to drive to work. Our gas is heading for $3.50 a gallon and could go higher. "Fun" stuff is being put on hold so we can just pay for gas to get to work. So while I agree that changes should be made, I think this might be bad timing.

Have you considered not letting unregistered guests in the gallery? Is this something that could wait until after the holidays? January maybe???

Just some thoughts. As for Paypal recurring payments ~ BAD IDEA!! They are very unreliable.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:32 AM   #518
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Why don't you ask for a donations. With everyone who looks at this site, I think it would only be fair to donate a few dollars.... this is such a great site, and this is a way to keep it 'Free'. I would donate.

the option to make random donations to this site has always been there, on the homepage through paypal or by sending it in to SCS via snailmail. Obviously there hasn't been enough generous veiwers/posters to make the necassary improvments.

Last edited by Dorinda; 09-23-2005 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: ooops quoted the wrong post
Old 09-23-2005, 06:33 AM   #519
Die Cut Diva

Thumbs up

Please do whatever is necessary to keep this wonderful site up and running smoothly!! I know that I get WAY more use out of my stamps and supplies than I would if not for this site. Thank you all for the hard work that goes into this site!!!!! I support you 100%.
Cards made 2019: #286 2018: #169 2017: #276
2016: #389
2015: #415 2014: #342 Scrapbook Pages: #34
Old 09-23-2005, 06:37 AM   #520
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by tish101

I'm thinking of something like that commercial:

-- New stamp set $25
-- new watercolor crayons $50
-- Membership to the SCS Fan Club "PRICELESS"

But I'd rather have a limited gallery than no SCS!

Tish.
Tish, you put it VERY well! I agree, it is "PRICELESS" there are some things you can't out a price on; there's so much inspiration, support, etc. on SCS it's almost like having a mini regional, convention, etc. everyday when you can view new ideas, projects and especially the DD Gallery!! Woohoo!!

I think you do what you have to do and of course, you should be paid for all your hard work!!

You're the BEST, Daven & Tracy!
Gina K. Designs
Closed Thread