Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 03:06 AM   #441
Matboard Maniac

Default it's so worth it

it's always hard to start paying for something that used to be free. and i understand people have limited budgets. but as i browsed the recent uploads for the last day, i was just amazed by all the inkredible (sorry - couldn't resist), beautiful, creative work that appears on this site. i don't think there's even a teeny fraction of what appears in a week of uploads in an entire year's worth of mags, and what's better, is that this takes up no space in your home. i live in an apartment in nyc and we have absolutely no storage space. here, i can look at thousands upon thousands (am i exaggerating? - i don't feel like i am) of samples, organize them into my favorites without taking up any space in my apartment.

and worst comes to worst, some people will not have full access to the gallery until the website can be reconfigured to allow more traffic. i believe daven said that restricted access will not be forever.

i say go for it. this site is well worth $25 a year - more really.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:18 AM   #442
Die Cut Diva

I think it's a great idea! Everything you get for $20 is a bargain!!

I Design For: Crafty Secrets Heartwarming Vintage
My Blog: VivLyn Designs
Old 09-23-2005, 03:22 AM   #443
Mad Swapper

$25 for a year???? I spend more than that a month on cable, and I spend more time here than in front of my TV. How on earth can anyone expect this kind of service for free??????? Speaking only for myself....even if I had the skill to run this site, no way would I do it for free!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:26 AM   #444
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbiS
$25 for a year???? I spend more than that a month on cable, and I spend more time here than in front of my TV. How on earth can anyone expect this kind of service for free??????? Speaking only for myself....even if I had the skill to run this site, no way would I do it for free!
"Xactly I tell you"!!!! (as my daughter would say)

Debra
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Old 09-23-2005, 03:31 AM   #445
Matboard Maniac

The membership costs about as much as a magazine subscription so why not support it? It's expensive to continue a website such as this with no monetary compensation to back up the hours put in away from Davin's own job (and family) and the wear and tear on his expensive machines. I completely understand the problem. I love this site and have been a fanclub member since I found it. With the incresed fee gong to 25.oo a year that makes it a whopping $2.07 a month (actually slightly less) to support.

I think it's less then therapy for me.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:37 AM   #446
Pearl-ExPert

I've seen lots of suggestions for a free trial membership. Since this is a temporary change with the purpose to restrict usage while the great SCS crew works on stuff behind the scenes I'm not sure that makes sense right now.

I haven't read every post (because, golly, this is a popular topic!), but let me vote to make this a permanent change. I'm sure the crew could use the $$ to keep everything great here. And then a free trial membership would be an excellent idea--let people see what they would be paying for.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Old 09-23-2005, 03:38 AM   #447
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyStampFrog
I support your decision to do whatever you want, but there are many people on here, myself included, that cannot afford 25.00. I joined this website and recently became a Stampin up demo, but have not made one dime yet My family had to scrape and scrimp to buy the demo kit--I don't buy any stamping magazines, or any other personal periodicals, and I have never bought a 25.00 pizza in my life. Even papa murphy's 7.99 is too much for us some weeks...I would love to be able to pay something, but 25.00 is an outfit for one of my dd's, or gas in the car (albiet, not much gas right now...), etc. I think it is pretty insensitive to have people say that 25.00 is not alot of money. For a struggling family of 4, it is... I am seriously crying at the thought of losing the gallery permanently, but as I said, I understand if you have to do it...
Thanks for listening.
I had the same thought....$25.00 isn't nothing to everybody....I know that Daven and Tracy are between a rock and a hard place, so I won't be critical...if there was some other way, they would have taken it! I honestly don't know if and when I will join, at this point....like the poster said, gas, clothing, my priorities have severely changed lately, so, we'll see, but that is my problem, and my problem only! Not anyone else's!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:40 AM   #448
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been wanting to join the fan club anyways. I think it's worth it. SCS is the reason why I don't buy stamping or scrap mags who needs to with this awesome site. I think a fee would be just fine after all you guys deserve it for the hard and awesome things you do for us.

Never frown, even when you are sad, because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:41 AM   #449
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking Paid gallery

I'm already a member of the Fan Club and just got my yearly reminder to renew. I'm renewing! $25/year>$2/month? I can do that!! I totally agree with the poster who said that this site gives her "gazzilons" of cards to get inspiration. I absolutely love this site!!!

Do what you need to do. I'll support you!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:49 AM   #450
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

My question is what happens if you end up with many non-paying users, becoming paid members of the fan club just so they can have access to all aspects of this site? Won't there still be overload of use, making it slow? Now, I know that not everyone will run out and pay the $20 but I bet there will be a big number that does because they are afraid to miss out on anything. I'm sure the money will be nice, but if there is still overload the problem hasn't been fixed...
Old 09-23-2005, 03:49 AM   #451
Stampin' Fool

I am sure my imput and suggestions may have been already posted....but the pages of posts got to be too long so I am going to just post at the risk of being repetitive!

I am a fan club member, so the changes will not really effect me until it is time to renew. For thr past few moths, I haven't been really using the gallery - I haven't really had much time. I just started looking in at specific stamp sets and copying the images I like to my computer. I have ehard from others that the gallery is slow. I usually look early in the morning EST - and it has been OK, but the west coast is sleeping then!

Access to Gallery - I think there should be 3 layers of access:
FREE - which should be much less than it is now; there have got to be a ton of users who have not contributed and will continue to not contribute any funding. I would think if there were 10 images each day available for free, that would be OK for me (if I wasn't a paying member). I don't know if it is possible, but is there a way for someone of the SCS end to see which images have the most commmets or the most veiews....and then those could be allowed public access. This might encourage people to upload the best of their best in hopes that it will win out and make the public side. Or maybe only the images from a challenge could be viewed.
FAN CLUB - allows access to eveyrthing in the gallery except the Dirty Dozen; these members can upload images. Keep this layer less expensive - maybe $20/yr - so that many, many people subscribe.
DIRTY DOZEN - allows access to everything and allows unlimited uploads(or at least more). Make this a littel more, maybe $29.95 per year.

User Fees - I think it realy important to offer a level that will appeal to the new SCS user and to those who might not frequesnt here as much as many of us do. Keeping the price at $20 or lower should do that. Even though the current price is only $24.95 - only $4.95 more - it might be just enough to have some people not renew. What about offering a 6 month membership - at a little higher than half of an annual one? For those on a tight budget, it might be easier to pay say $16.95 twice per year than $24.95 at once. Or offer a single month for $7.95 for those afraid to take the plunge!

SCS Store - I loved the t-shirts, but they seemed a little expensive. I'm not doubting that they are worth it, but don't really need a t-shirt, and they were higher than I expected, so I passed. Maybe if you had some other items, people would buy more. Travel mugs, drink coozies, tote bags, paper cubes, baseball caps, pens, coffee mugs, etc. You could also offer a pre-order on a new item......pay now, recieve in November kind of thing.....where the price is a little lower than it would normally be. This will allow you to purchase the products in a larger number and know that a good portion of them have already sold.

Referrals - what about offering something for a referral. If someone joins, the referer can earn points that can be used towards future memberships or something.

Uploads - if you need to limit the size, the you should do so.

I use SCS a million time more than the SU site - and I really don't take the time to go to many other stamping sites....donlt need to. I can't imagine how you guys have been doing this so far financially. The site is great and it seems like just a hndful of you are endless working on things! Do what you have to do to make it easier for you, more financially viable, and to make the site run smoother. If you set one price and it doesn't work - you can always change it later. Looking forward to seeing what changes.....
Old 09-23-2005, 03:59 AM   #452
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, I think that it is well worth the small charge to access all of the wonderful ideas. We tend to spend much more than that on stamping magazines that have very few ideas and lots of ads!!!

Thanks for all of the work that you do and the WONDERFUL website!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:01 AM   #453
Glitter Queen

Talking Yeah!

You have made my decision easy. I have enjoyed using your site for the last week since I learned about it, but I had not yet joined, not that I don't think your site is great, but hadn't made the decision yet. As soon as I get home from work today I will be joining and looking forward to being able to access your site more easily. I love the gallery and the ideas I get from your site, both for teaching my friends and for making me personal cards. Keep up the great work. Having a web site of my own, I truly understand the time and effort it takes to keep this all up and running.

Thank you Thank you.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:04 AM   #454
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thumbs up

Lucky for me mine computer time is in the morning. I don't find it a problem to view the gallery at all.

That being said, when I have had time later in the day, it's next to impossible to view.

I am a fan club member and although I love looking at the wonderful stuff the DD comes up with most of it I wouldn't even try to CASE.

My feeling is charging a fee is the way to go. I would like to see a little more out there for fan club members than just the DD. Maybe access to the new uploads for a week! Then it opens up for folks who don't pay.
Pinterest
Old 09-23-2005, 04:04 AM   #455
Die Cut Diva

I wish I had time to read all the responses but it is already up to 5 pages!!

I am sure that it has been a difficult decision to do this, but I understand your problems. I too am on a restricted budget, I think most of us are, but the ideas I get boost my income so much that I know I have made more than $25 in profit to be a Gallery Member!

Thanks for your hard work!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:06 AM   #456
Compulsive Stamper

Default I concur:)

As a demonstrator, this website is a valuable resource to send my customers to when they need inspiration. As a businesswoman, and a fan club member, I also understand your need to limit access. You have been incredibly generous to put this website out here in the first place. By limiting the access, you will encourage people to donate instead of taking advantage of your kindness. There will be those that will not like the change, but you have to think of your bottom line first. My opinion, the ones who resist the change are those that have been taking advantage of your generosity and have never thought about what it takes to produce this type of venue. They just want the freebies. In my opinion
Old 09-23-2005, 04:07 AM   #457
Kookie Creator

Smile

I could not have said it any better than Tammy has. She said exactly what I was thinking!

ny2nh (aka: Tammy) wrote:

Quote:

FREE - which should be much less than it is now; there have got to be a ton of users who have not contributed and will continue to not contribute any funding. I would think if there were 10 images each day available for free, that would be OK for me (if I wasn't a paying member). I don't know if it is possible, but is there a way for someone of the SCS end to see which images have the most commmets or the most veiews....and then those could be allowed public access. This might encourage people to upload the best of their best in hopes that it will win out and make the public side. Or maybe only the images from a challenge could be viewed.
FAN CLUB - allows access to eveyrthing in the gallery except the Dirty Dozen; these members can upload images. Keep this layer less expensive - maybe $20/yr - so that many, many people subscribe.
DIRTY DOZEN - allows access to everything and allows unlimited uploads(or at least more). Make this a littel more, maybe $29.95 per year.

User Fees - I think it realy important to offer a level that will appeal to the new SCS user and to those who might not frequesnt here as much as many of us do. Keeping the price at $20 or lower should do that. Even though the current price is only $24.95 - only $4.95 more - it might be just enough to have some people not renew. What about offering a 6 month membership - at a little higher than half of an annual one? For those on a tight budget, it might be easier to pay say $16.95 twice per year than $24.95 at once. Or offer a single month for $7.95 for those afraid to take the plunge!

SCS Store - I loved the t-shirts, but they seemed a little expensive. I'm not doubting that they are worth it, but don't really need a t-shirt, and they were higher than I expected, so I passed. Maybe if you had some other items, people would buy more. Travel mugs, drink coozies, tote bags, paper cubes, baseball caps, pens, coffee mugs, etc. You could also offer a pre-order on a new item......pay now, recieve in November kind of thing.....where the price is a little lower than it would normally be. This will allow you to purchase the products in a larger number and know that a good portion of them have already sold.

Referrals - what about offering something for a referral. If someone joins, the referer can earn points that can be used towards future memberships or something.

SCS memeber # 27799
Old 09-23-2005, 04:10 AM   #458
Insane Embellisher

Red face Fan Club

I want to join it so that I get everything. Where do i go and what do I do to get it? Melisa
Old 09-23-2005, 04:11 AM   #459
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ny2nh
I am sure my imput and suggestions may have been already posted....but the pages of posts got to be too long so I am going to just post at the risk of being repetitive!

I am a fan club member, so the changes will not really effect me until it is time to renew. For thr past few moths, I haven't been really using the gallery - I haven't really had much time. I just started looking in at specific stamp sets and copying the images I like to my computer. I have ehard from others that the gallery is slow. I usually look early in the morning EST - and it has been OK, but the west coast is sleeping then!

I use SCS a million time more than the SU site - and I really don't take the time to go to many other stamping sites....donlt need to. I can't imagine how you guys have been doing this so far financially. The site is great and it seems like just a hndful of you are endless working on things! Do what you have to do to make it easier for you, more financially viable, and to make the site run smoother. If you set one price and it doesn't work - you can always change it later. Looking forward to seeing what changes.....
I really like these ideas! I have no problem paying, but I know there are some who do. Maybe this would be a good compromise!

Thanks again for wading through all our comments!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:14 AM   #460
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

You have my support! I love this site and think that $25 is a small price to pay. Keep up the good work!
Susan
Old 09-23-2005, 04:15 AM   #461
Die Cut Diva

Well, I was paying $40 a year for that "other" site, and I let that suscription lapse because the ideas on SCS were WAY BETTER!!! Having said that, I've been shocked that we didn't have to pay a fee for SCS. I've been sitting on the fence, trying to decide whether to pay to access the DD galleries. Now, I'm off the fence. Daven and Tracy, my check will be in the mail today! (I have a major distrust of paypal! LOL!) Every morning I drink my coffee and cruise this website. Since I use it every single day, I have no problem paying a fee if that is necessary. I think this is the best site on the web! I don't even look at Stamper's Showcase on the SU site anymore! LOL!

The more we thank, the more we discover we have to be thankful for.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:18 AM   #462
Kookie Creator

I am not a SU demo, just someone who loves to stamp and loves what this site has to offer. My stamping has improved so much in the time I have been a memeber of this site. The tips, ideas, resources, etc. have made me a much better stamper. I've purchased more stamp sets that I would never have given a second thought to if it were not for this site. I cannot imagine the time and money it takes to run this site. I became a fan club member as my way of supporting SCS. As others have said, what I get from this site is priceless!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:19 AM   #463
Glitter Guru

I haven't read all the postings because I just don't have time...

However IMO $25 a year for something you use, look at, etc... everyday or heck maybe just a few times a week is definately worth the money.

Those of us that are Demos - be it for SU, TAC, CTMH, CM or any other company dealing with stamping and scrapping - GUESS WHAT - is it a tax deductable business expense...

I have read a few postings from demos saying they are primarily hobby demos and all their "profits" go back to thier business....so they would not be able to "afford" $25 for membership...ummm paying for the site would be a business expense

I know for some people $25 is nothing and other it is a big expense - however, having a hobby that deals with scrapping or stamping is not an "inexpensive" hobby - have you bought a stamping or scrapping magazine in the last year - if so how much did that cost...the last one I bought cost me $9 and that was with a % off coupon...how much was your last order to SU or TAC or CTMH or CM (I still owe my CM consultant $40)

IMO I would have it remain a "paid" site for the long haul...

the only suggestions I would have is *if it is possible*

$25 subscription - full access to everything and upload capabilities...

$10 subscription - full access to all gallerys EXCEPT Fan Club gallery and NO upload capabilities...

I do think some galleries should be open to all to see so it could wet their whistles....after all if someone can't play with it how will they fall in love with it and buy it
Old 09-23-2005, 04:22 AM   #464
Glitter Queen

I think it is a great idea. I get more ideas from SCS than I do from the magazine subscriptions that cost me more than $20. per year. I would gladly pay to be a member. thanks a bunch. Pam J
Old 09-23-2005, 04:23 AM   #465
Matboard Maniac

Wink Gallery changes

It's a good decision to try it. You'll probably find through the month of October that the folks who pay the reasonable fee will also be talented and inspiring folks! They will also benefit from quicker load times. And those who don't pay will still benefit from viewing the members galleries. Everyone should be quite happy! The only thing I'm curious about is how we will know when it is time for our renewals so we don't get locked out by surprise some morning.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:23 AM   #466
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it is a great idea. Anything to be able to view the gallery faster. I am a fan club member but do not view it often because it is soooooo slow.

Thanks for all your hard work.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:25 AM   #467
Die Cut Diva

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by tish101
I'm thinking of something like that commercial:

-- New stamp set $25
-- new watercolor crayons $50
-- Membership to the SCS Fan Club "PRICELESS"

Tish.
What Tish said!! To me the gallery is one of the biggest draws. Since I can't seem to come up with any ideas on my own , I need the gallery!! I would pay way more then $20 if it meant that I could actually view the items in the gallery. Honestly, if people aren't willing to pay then there are plenty of free sites out there, but none equal the quality or quantity of SCS galleries. If you want the best then you have to be willing to chip in.

Plus, seeing what Jenn and Beate and all the other artists come up with is truly priceless!!

WE LOVE YOU, DAVEN AND TRACY... no matter what you decide!!

I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare,
.......and I dare a little more as I grow older.
-Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)
Old 09-23-2005, 04:27 AM   #468
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by m24y
I want to join it so that I get everything. Where do i go and what do I do to get it? Melisa
Go to the main page and follow the Fan Club instructions.

Debra
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Old 09-23-2005, 04:36 AM   #469
Stampin' Fool

my envelope is addressed my check is filled out, but who do I write the check out to? I am going to mail it today!

I have been meaning to join but just been too lazy. I get more info from this site than any magazine subscription so it is worth it to me.

thanks!
Jodi
Old 09-23-2005, 04:36 AM   #470
Mad Swapper

I'LL STILL BE HERE!!! And I second the idea that two price-points would be a good idea; one offering some features of the site and the other offering all features.

Renee
Old 09-23-2005, 04:36 AM   #471
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This site is where I "hang out" most of the time. You guys do a great job!! Whatever you need to do to make it more user friendly...I'm for it!

You said access to certain areas was going to be "temporary" (other than the fan club), so I don't really understand what all the fuss is about???

Thanks for keeping the site the AWESOME place it is!!

Old 09-23-2005, 04:38 AM   #472
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by katydidnt
What Tish said!! To me the gallery is one of the biggest draws. Since I can't seem to come up with any ideas on my own , I need the gallery!! I would pay way more then $20 if it meant that I could actually view the items in the gallery. Honestly, if people aren't willing to pay then there are plenty of free sites out there, but none equal the quality or quantity of SCS galleries. If you want the best then you have to be willing to chip in.

Plus, seeing what Jenn and Beate and all the other artists come up with is truly priceless!!

WE LOVE YOU, DAVEN AND TRACY... no matter what you decide!!
Couldn't have said it better! It is well worth the $24.95.

Peg

SCS #10227
Old 09-23-2005, 04:38 AM   #473
Rubber Obsessor

Smile If you gotta........DO IT!!!

I joined the fan club last winter and thought "what a small price to pay for such a fantastic site." I spend hours at a time browsing for inspiration and its always there. This site offers something for every stamper so it should be supported to keep it up to date!

How many of us think nothing of going to parties and spend "big bucks " on multiple sets. Others out there should feel happy to join in to make this site better and better!

Thanks to all you hard workers at scs!
Grace
Old 09-23-2005, 04:42 AM   #474
Polyshrink Goddess

I have not read all of the answers here (12 pages!! Goodness) but here are my 2 cents.

I can't believe you have kept it free for so long! What a fantastic deal this has been. I will gladly keep up with my fan club membership (I joined right away). This site is so worth it! I come here several times a day. I pay $55 a month for a gym membership that I only use 3 times a week. The fee I pay for this site for a year is nothing.

So I say charge away! I love the site, the people, the ideas....everything and I am more than willing to 'put my money where my mouth is'.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:42 AM   #475
Failed Lurker

I've just had a thought... if the gallery's up to speed, maybe we'll spend more time there looking at cards and leaving nice comments, instead of taking our frustration out on the forums and looking for something to argue about? Now that's got to be worth $25!

I don't think it's unfair at all for a fee to be charged for a service and have worked out a way round the technical issues that have been putting me off.

But, dare I say that I DO think it's unfair to shout people down for saying they don't like the idea? Daven asked us for our opinions either way; as it it says on the front page: "What do you think? We want your feedback. Is this a terrible move and you'd like to talk us out of it?"

Helen
Old 09-23-2005, 04:52 AM   #476
Polyshrink Goddess

I support your decision and can only imagine how difficult it was. As many others have said I have gotten so much more from this site than my $25 "investment". Shoot, when I think of what I have spent over the years for idea books at $15-20 a pop and gotten only a couple ideas from them, SCS is a bargain. I too have spent less time lately looking in the gallery since it has been so slow. Thanks to all of you who spend so much time keeping it up and going for us.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:57 AM   #477
Rubber Obsessor

Default gallery

I've been looking around on this site for not even a year, and love it. Maybe I have missed something! How do I pay to be part of the fan club? I thought by being a SU! demonstrator, that was all that I had to do.

Can someone PM me and let me know what to do. I want to continue to have access to the gallery! I'd be glad to pay to be a part of that.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:02 AM   #478
Polyshrink Goddess

We all know nothing in life is free. I think everyone should have to pay some type of fee to access specific parts of the gallery. Maybe have the message board free, but to use the gallery, there is a fee??

JMO!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:05 AM   #479
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Tiered membership

I like the idea of tiered membership also. I don't know if I can pay the $25 until I've saved for it.

What about:

$10 basic membership: forums, limited gallery access (maybe items from the last week?) and ability to upload

$20 full membership: forums, gallery access, upload ability

$25 premier or deluxe membership: forums, gallery, upload ability and dirty dozen...
Old 09-23-2005, 05:06 AM   #480
Insane Embellisher

For me, $25 per year is not a big deal. I love this site & joined the Fan Club to support it. I'm sorry that some people are having a hard time with this suggestion, but it is better than the alternative ... what would we do if SCS had to be shut down for good? Money will be an issue for many people, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect this great service for free every day. I also don't think that Daven should be put into a position to lose money ...
Closed Thread