Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cashier's Check Fraud

Did anyone realize that one could make a "fake" cashier's check?

They can - and there are hugh scams going around concerning these!

UPS is recieving more cashier's checks than ever - one guy this morning mentioned $25,000 on 1 check. They don't know how many are frauds but a large # of them are.

I am saying all this because my work got caught up in a scam on friday.
We found out about it yesterday and helped the LAPD bust up the ring!

It delt with lost to aerospace tooling. We are in Texas, so you can see how far these guys were reaching. One of our vendors saw a tool on Ebay and called the manufacture and found out the serial # on the tool belonged to us.

These guys were selling on Ebay! I talked with our bank today - and they said yep - don't accept cashier's checks - espically for larger amounts. We started asking for cashier's checks on our cod orders several years ago because of bad checks - now we have to ask for wire transfers.

If the customer was ready and willing to get a casher's check - well he will be ok with wiring the funds as well.

Just an FYI

thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this kind of stuff has been going on for some time. My DH and I were almost scammed three years ago and fortunately, our DIL works for a large bank in DC and we asked her a few questions and then she started questioning us about it and after a few long distance phone calls, we realized it was a scam. We notified the police and figured it the guy showed up they'd catch him, but he must have figured out something was up and didn't show. But it's being done all the time all over the country. You just have to be aware and very careful.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Yep...it's actually way easier to make a fake cashier's check because they all look so different that a normal person wouldn't know it was fake until it was too late!

We buy and sell used campers/RVs and we only accept cash. No matter what. Some people don't like getting $10k in cash out, but we can't afford to have a bad check for that much either. The only guaranteed form of payment is cash. Even those bank transfers can go bad! At least that way after 3 days it's guaranteed...although they can be reversed if fraud is proven.
Unfortunately the few bad deals make us skeptical of everyone. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I worked in a bank for 12 years and fake cashiers checks are nothing new. With computers these days you can copy and fake about anything. Sad but true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Speaking of being able to copy and fake anything. I work in a resort area in the cash operations office and we get counterfeit bills quite often. We got a fake $50.00 the other day and I swear it looked just like the real thing until I felt the paper and of course some of the other identifying marks were missing like the water mark. They sometimes try to fake the color shifting ink with what I suspect may be something like stickles. It's not just the large bills that are faked, we get counterfeit $20's, $10's and even $5's. I've also seen fake traveler's checks done on an inkjet printer. It's amazing what these thieves go through to rip people off. They should use this creativity on scrapbooks and cards!!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Its pretty sad. At my job we have to watch out for fake travelers check now and call on every single one that comes through. As well as fake twenty dollar bills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

It is truly sad - I have heard of this before ... the fake money orders, the fake cashier's checks.

But what really makes me upset is the fake Gift Certificates that are hugely popular - like at grocery stores!! Stores like Publix here in Florida have had people with fake GC's that have been reproduced and manufactured looking just like the original ones. They are constantly having to stay 2 steps ahead of the criminals who are always trying to find a way to cheat the system, which ultimately leads to higher prices for the rest of us :(

But all things aside, if they would just stop for a few moments and put those same thoughts into thinking up something good & constructive, we'd all be so much better off ~ wishful thinking!! :-D

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fraud

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
Did anyone realize that one could make a "fake" cashier's check?

They can - and there are hugh scams going around concerning these!

UPS is recieving more cashier's checks than ever - one guy this morning mentioned $25,000 on 1 check. They don't know how many are frauds but a large # of them are.

I am saying all this because my work got caught up in a scam on friday.
We found out about it yesterday and helped the LAPD bust up the ring!

It delt with lost to aerospace tooling. We are in Texas, so you can see how far these guys were reaching. One of our vendors saw a tool on Ebay and called the manufacture and found out the serial # on the tool belonged to us.

These guys were selling on Ebay! I talked with our bank today - and they said yep - don't accept cashier's checks - espically for larger amounts. We started asking for cashier's checks on our cod orders several years ago because of bad checks - now we have to ask for wire transfers.

If the customer was ready and willing to get a casher's check - well he will be ok with wiring the funds as well.

Just an FYI

thanks
It's hard to believe but it's true....never accept anything with a cashier's check. The company I work for got scammed to of $10,000

Connie J.
Reply With Quote Likes