Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Announcements (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/announcements-13/)
-   -   Postage Rate Increase to Come (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/announcements-13/postage-rate-increase-come-398784/)

jguyeby 11-18-2008 08:19 AM

Postage Rate Increase to Come

From your online "postal wife" (DH is a postmaster). He wanted me to let you ladies know that next year sometime early in the year there will be two increases. :( The first one will involve an increase in mailing packages and the second will be regular postage. He doesn't know the details of when or how much yet but I wanted you to be the first to know. UGH!. But the PO will still be the cheapest way to mail things. DHL has cut their domestic package mailings and UPS and FED EX have put surcharges on their mailings. Now it's the PO's time. (again). He doesn't like any more than we do, believe me. But just thought I would get you prepared.
Jennifer

musicmarth 11-18-2008 08:20 AM

But our forever stamps will still be good, right? That's the point of them, right?

jor 11-18-2008 08:23 AM

I'm not surprised postage is going up again, I just wish they would increase it a little more so they don't have to do it so often! I know that probably doesn't make sense, but it has been happening more often. Just raise it 3 cents instead of 1 every couple of months!

new scrapper 11-18-2008 08:29 AM

I remember earlier this year hearing that they were going to make postal increases an annual thing, so that it is gradual instead of hitting is with one big increase every few years.

StamperCathy 11-18-2008 08:58 AM

no surprise, I just read an article that they are operating in the red.

whoistracy 11-18-2008 09:20 AM

A guy at the post office told me this a month or two ago. He said it will be annual every year for the next several years. Stock up on those forever stamps!

Mynee 11-18-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmarth (Post 12095234)
But our forever stamps will still be good, right? That's the point of them, right?

Yep. That's why I buy them. It doesn't really save me much money but I hate having to buy the 1 or 2 cent stamps to add to the stamps I already have.

angelinoregon 11-18-2008 11:50 AM

i'm with you on that. bad enough we have to add postage because an envelope is a little bulky (ie. ribbon, brad, etc.) all those extra stamps on the envelope looks tacky IMO. with regards to the forever stamp, i just wish they came on a roll. i use a stamp dispenser for ease of use and storage. i asked if the forever stamps would come out in rolls in the future and the post master said no.

stampmouse 11-18-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jor (Post 12095257)
I'm not surprised postage is going up again, I just wish they would increase it a little more so they don't have to do it so often! I know that probably doesn't make sense, but it has been happening more often. Just raise it 3 cents instead of 1 every couple of months!

AMEN to that. and make it something at dividable by 5cents. I have heard the reason why they don't somethign about them not able to make to much of a profit but gesh what a pain

1flourish 11-18-2008 11:58 AM

The new package rate will hit the free shipping that lots of us small business owners try to provide.

mybelle101 11-18-2008 01:18 PM

oi, yep, that's why I love the forever stamps...I'm not even sure how much they're worth right now, and when I want to use old stamps, I have to look up online to see how many 1, 2, or 3 cent stamps to add :-P

At least they have the forever stamps now...they make it so much easier!

Steph82 11-18-2008 01:22 PM

Blah! I am like jor. I don't really mind too much that the price of stamps is going up a cent or two, its just how often they go up! I hate messing with the 1 and 2 cent stamps. I can't even remember what the actual cost of stamps is because it changes so much! I am always paranoid that I will get something sent back to me because I am a penny short. I am so glad they made the forever stamps.

AmzdByHsGrace 11-18-2008 01:28 PM

Well I really got a jolt this week... Had to mail a card to a friend in England and wanted to get it there the quickest way I could and asked the PO person what that would cost.... You ready????? She said that would be $25 for getting it there in 5 business days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost passed out!!!! So I said nope just get it there however... and she said..... " ok that will be 94 cents and it will be there in about a week"............. uh...... whats up with that??? What would be the difference????
Color me confused....
God bless
Nyoka

jguyeby 11-18-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmarth (Post 12095234)

Yes, your forever stamps will still be good forever so stock up now!

NancyLuvsMickey 11-18-2008 03:24 PM

I think I remember being told that postage will go up every year the Monday after Mother's Day...

Mom2AngelJocelyn 11-18-2008 03:44 PM

You know since postage is going up people are going to start paying bills online like my aunt does. GRR this makes me mad

peachie_177 11-18-2008 04:59 PM

My aunt (retired postal worker) told me the same thing than nancyluvsmickey stated - stamp rates only go up the Monday after Mother's day, and that two years ago, they decided the'd be going up every year for the next x number of years (I don't remember how many years she said).

lizmil 11-19-2008 06:40 AM

Postage increase

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1flourish (Post 12097334)
The new package rate will hit the free shipping that lots of us small business owners try to provide.

just being nosy, but I don't understand what you mean. Is there some thresh hold?

liz

tiny bubbles 11-19-2008 07:01 AM

i'm guessing that free shipping for a lot of places will soon be a thing of the past. costs keep rising and small businesses cannot continue to keep offering thing that will end up having them take a big loss.

amysings 11-19-2008 02:53 PM

Which will, in turn, affect how many small stamp companies survive, sadly.

katestamps716 11-19-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiny bubbles (Post 12105284)
i'm guessing that free shipping for a lot of places will soon be a thing of the past. costs keep rising and small businesses cannot continue to keep offering thing that will end up having them take a big loss.

As a business owner, yes, this is a HUGE concern. I eat the cost of shipping on all my orders over $40, which adds up to thousands and thousands of dollars in lost revenue each year, (on top of the actual cost of packing materials). It is incredibly hard to offer reasonable or free shipping AND competitive prices AND keep enough inventory on hand to meet people's needs without digging yourself into a huge financial hole. It is a difficult balancing act but so far, so good. I'll be curious to see how much of an increase it actually will be.

a1r601 11-19-2008 05:42 PM

I just went to the PO today and overheard the clerk tell an elderly man about a price increase on postage. So I asked her if she knew how much more it will go up...she mentioned starting in January priority pricing for flat rate envies will go up to $4.95 and forgot what she said about the flat rate boxes. She said regular postage is going up in May or something like that, but not by as much.

How are we ever going to afford to send out any kind of mail???? Geesh!