Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shame on Michaels, poor customer service

I bought some items at Michaels today and they wouldnt honor the Jo-Anns VIP Discount Card for 10% of nonSale items. The manager said, they want us to use their Rewards Card but this is only being offered in selected areas and Atlanta isnt one of them. The customer service line said that because they dont have a piece of paper to put in the register for proof they cant honor it. I suggested that the manager could put a note in the register that they have signed off on. They would rather us not shop in their store - during this Great Recession, they would rather not give us 10% and lose our sale all together. I did mention that I was going to post this and was told, We are sorry you are not happy with us. I dont know about you, but thats pretty poor customer service - what do you think?
As consumers, we do have leverage and need to let these stores know we have a choice! If more of us call the customer service line 1-800-642-4235 and let them know how we feel. btw: I had piloted the Michaels VIP card last year when they offered it for $5 but thats even offered now.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

They are horrendous aren't they?

I signed up for their SB class, turned up on the night and sat in the room for 20 mins before going out to ask the cashier what was going on. She couldn't have been less bothered, told me just to wait. So I waited another 10 minutes, then I asked the cashier to go and find out what was going on. I said "I will be in the flower section" - anyway 15mins later, she still hadn't got back to me so I went over and she told me that the manager (at home) was trying to find out what was going on. At that point I lost my patience, asked her to leave a message for the manager to call me the next day. Of course, she didn't, I eventually got a call 2 days later, no apology, saying they would keep my name on file to let me know when the next one was. I asked if I could just have a refund, she said fine. I went in to get my refund, got barked at by an assistant because I wanted to speak to the manager, and I have now resolved only to buy glue runner refills from there.

Funnily enough I went in there today and the same assistant that barked at me was being really fakely nice, and lo and behold, at the bottom of the receipt was a website address for a customer feedback survey. Cannot WAIT to fill that baby out.

Michaels has no competition here in So. MD, so I had spent loads there since arriving from the UK, no more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I don't know of any retailers that offer price matching on a competitors rewards program, price matching is typically only done coupons that are in ads, sales that are in ads and then just prices differences for regualr priced items that are carried.

Their policy is they don't accept competitors rewards cards, it seems like they politely told you that. If you aren't happy with it then so be it, shop where you have the rewards card then.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I don't know anything about "Rewards Cards" but I do know that Michaels has the worst customer service of just about anywhere I've shopped.

Their customer service is horrible. They only take one coupon even when the coupons I am trying to use are valid Michael's coupons that are different ones. They tell me to come back the next day and use the other coupon, as if!

I get so fed up with Michaels never having what they say they have. In the past I've called Michaels before going to buy something and when I get there; mysteriously they don't have it.

I have no desire to even try to shop at Michaels ever again. :mad:

One time I found a whole basket full of travel journals on sale for $1.00. The description on the price sticker and the book itself were the same. I asked someone who worked there if this was the actual price because it seemed too good to be true. She said yes that was the actual price. I asked how many of these I could buy and she said there was no purchase limits. So I took all 20 of them. I asked the worker if she could come with me to the checkout stand because I was still worried about having a problem. She wouldn't do that so I went up alone and sure enough the clerk said that the books were $5.95 each. To make a really long story shorter after a lot of hassle the assistant manager called the store manager who said I could have the books for the marked price. The topper - I was told never to come back and shop in their store again! I haven't been back to that Michaels since. I should have written to the company but I figured why bother? But I felt like I was treated like a thief and that did bother me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch10377View Post
I don't know of any retailers that offer price matching on a competitors rewards program, price matching is typically only done coupons that are in ads, sales that are in ads and then just prices differences for regualr priced items that are carried.

Their policy is they don't accept competitors rewards cards, it seems like they politely told you that. If you aren't happy with it then so be it, shop where you have the rewards card then.
I agree. I know a lot of people post to this board unhappy about Michael's coupon policy, and I love my 40% coupon as much as the next person. But realistically, Michael's needs to make a reasonable profit off of my purchase, so I know I can't use multiple coupons in one visit, get 10% off for belonging to a competitor's rewards program, etc.

My Michael's is actually pretty good. They got a new manager about two years ago who seems hardworking, helpful, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I have shopped at so many michaels throughout the country and can say honestly i would not shop there except for the fact that they carry many of the items i want. They could take some customer service lessions from Starbucks. I have even had an associate complain that I hadn't cut the coupon right. I am the customer - stupid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

IMO if Michaels puts out different coupons a person should be able to use those different coupons in the same visit just like JoAnn does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel very lucky that I have a Michael's nearby. I appreciate that they have coupons available for my use. I don't mind coming back for another visit to use another coupon. That makes good business sense to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I will agree that Michael's custer service isn't the greatest...but, i've found the days of excellent customer service long gone....unless you are dealing with a small business where you deal directly with the owner or something.

If I want to use more than one coupon, then I load up my gaggle of children and husband....and make the cashiers day by all 5 of us getting in line with an item and a coupon. lol
Otherwise, I make a couple of trips.

I myself personally, feel it's wrong to try to get more than what was intended as a discount.....meaning, taking the michaels ad for the cricut carts to walmart....again, thats my personal opinion meant for me and my morals...if you want to do that, then that's on you....I just do not understand what we are expecting from these stores.

Really, if Jo-Anns is so awesome, then just shop there....if you are lucky enough to have an option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Default Hey, they're giving us a discount!

As I see it- Hey, I'm getting a discount! I'm just happy that I could go in every day and get an item for 40% off for no reason other than I have a coupon! I have a website link where you can print as many Michaels, Joanne's, Beverly's coupons as you want and they will honor them every single day. I will never have to pay full price for a regular priced item again. I love that, and choose to be thankful that they offer a discount at all. After all, they don't have to do that at all.

The Michaels I shop at is pretty good at customer service, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I am a cheerful customer, because shopping there means I'm gonna' take home some goodies. A smile and a positive outlook goes a long way. It's their business and they can do whatever they want to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

I have dealt with an extremely rude lady out our Concord Michaels and have gotten to the point of not going there usless is absoulutely needed. I just order online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Wow. I have to say that I have had nothing but good experiences with the Michael's I go to. I've been shopping there for many years and the employees are courteous and helpful and the manager bends over backwards to accommodate the customers.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Although I do find some of their advertisements misleading, I wouldn't expect Michael's to accept a JoAnn's VIP discount card, and vice-versa. I think it's good that each accepts competitors' coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:12 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. I do believe you are over reacting, but like stated above- take your business to Joannes if you are that upset about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I love my Michaels. I like the people in it. They've always been very helpful and very nice. I remember standing in the checkout line with my daughter and two 40 percent off coupons, completely forgetting I can only use one at a time. The cashier told me to give the other coupon to my daughter and let her checkout too. So my daughter did! Aha! One other time the manager himself told me to check out and then go away for five minutes and come back to check out again. Aha! Funny how that works.

Personally I'll never shop at Joanns again. Our local one shut their doors. It's no wonder. They were just really rude sometimes. It was like you were pulling teeth to get someone to assist you at the cash register.

Maybe Michaels should do that Undercover Boss show! Go out and see what their employees are doing in some of the stores where people seem to get the worst customer service. I'm always happy to go to Michaels or any store as long as I know that if I treat them right, they'll treat me right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalaKittyView Post
IMO if Michaels puts out different coupons a person should be able to use those different coupons in the same visit just like JoAnn does.
Lots of companies put out multiple coupons for the week however, are people reading the fine print on them or in the flyers? In michael's defense, it often says "one coupon per customer per day" in their emailed coupons or flyers. Or at least the ones in Canada do.

As for using a rewards card at a competitor. I highly doubt any store would price match that. Rewards and loyalty cards are to get you to shop where you got the card not to use to shop around. I think the staff was within their right to refuse the 10% discount the OP wanted. Money is tight everywhere for just about everyone, so try looking at things from a business standpoint. You want to make a sale. But, you can't afford to give the merchandise away and be able to keep your staff employed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

For those of you who are saying the employees are rude, go to the Manager of the store and tell him. Maybe (if he's a good manager) he will speak to the employee(s) and tell them it won't be tolerated.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by smaverick1View Post
Lots of companies put out multiple coupons for the week however, are people reading the fine print on them or in the flyers? In michael's defense, it often says "one coupon per customer per day" in their emailed coupons or flyers. Or at least the ones in Canada do.

As for using a rewards card at a competitor. I highly doubt any store would price match that. Rewards and loyalty cards are to get you to shop where you got the card not to use to shop around. I think the staff was within their right to refuse the 10% discount the OP wanted. Money is tight everywhere for just about everyone, so try looking at things from a business standpoint. You want to make a sale. But, you can't afford to give the merchandise away and be able to keep your staff employed.
All coupons that I have ever come across have fine print with, some people either choose not to read it or don't like the restrictions and feel that the restrictions should be overridden.

People need to keep in mind that these coupons take money off the companies bottom line and the purpose of them isn't for customers to use as many coupons on their purchases as possible, it is to get them into the store, buy that one item with the coupon and then hopefully pick up a few more items at full price and make money from that. I think coupons have kind of backfired on them because people now feel entitled to them and won't buy an item without one.

When it comes down to it retailers are a for profit business and have to operate as they see fit, just because one retailer has a certain policy doesn't mean everyother retailer also has to have the same one. I wouldn't be surprised if the weekly coupons go away in the next year or so and all promotions are just driven by what is in the ad and then special promotions for rewards customers (although in order to compete Michaels really needs to come out with a national rewards program). I think if one of them takes a chance by getting rid of them the others will follow suit.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I have 2 Michaels's nearby and I find them both great. Associates are very friendly and helpful. As far as coupons go...I think many people are extremely greedy regarding these coupons. I'm happy to purchase something at 40% off. Do people want to get all their items for free??!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My issue with the coupon policy is that I always followed the one coupon per customer per day rule until the sales people at my local Michael's said that I could use more than one. So, I started using more than one because the manager allowed it. Then all of a sudden (same manager in charge) you could use more than one as long as they were different types (newspaper ad vs. computer printout vs. competitor, etc.). So, I started using multiple ones because it was still allowed. Then they got a new manager in and you could only use one - period. But one of the sales associates told me the next day that the manager that told me I could only use one reversed her own decision later that day and you could again use more than one as long as they were different types again. Now it's you can only use one coupon per transaction (not per customer) so if you have more than one, you simply become a new customer with a new transaction (while never getting out and then back in line) - just ring things up separately.

You never know what's going to happen on any given trip to that Michael's, and forget about trying to use that store's policy anywhere else. Every store seems to do its own thing. If there really is a corporate policy that all stores are supposed to follow concerning coupons, you'd never know it. It's the inconsistencies that totally drive me up the wall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compared to Joann's, I am much happier with the service at Micheal's.

Strange as this may sound (I like to save money just like everyone else) I'm not a big fan of Joann's coupon policy. There's nothing worse than being in a line of customers with one register open, waiting while the lady in the front says "I'll use this coupon for this, no wait, this coupon for that, and is this on sale already, no, so I'll use this coupon for that..." for 10 minutes. If she had to buy one item with one coupon and then get back in line in order to use another, it would help everything more more quickly there, which is always a problem.
Also, have you ever noticed that whenever Joann's issues a 50% coupon, it also means that everything in the papercrafting department is on sale for 40% off (or less)? I may have a bunch of coupons in my hand, but I can never find anything to use them on. And for some reason I can't make myself buy something at 40% off when I think I should be able to get it for 50% off.
Joann's also won't honor competitor's coupons if it's something they don't sell. Big picture this makes sense to me, but get into whether or not a certain size of bag of beads is carried at Michael's (which they argued with me about) seems ridiculous.

I have had issues with Michael's where the posted price isn't always what it rings up as, but I'm the type of person to use a price checker first anyways. If the price isn't what I expect, I just put it back. One time they had mistakenly put the sale sign for their cheap house brand paper on the Bazzill paper, which I figured was a mistake. But I needed multiple sheets for a project I was working on, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Of course it rang up regular price, but when I asked, the cashier just called the manager over, who told her to give me the sale price (and then she promptly went to move the sign.)

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I don't know of any retailers that offer price matching on a competitors rewards program, price matching is typically only done coupons that are in ads, sales that are in ads and then just prices differences for regular priced items that are carried.

I agree with this quote & similar ones in this thread. Every time I see these Michael's bashing threads I think so your pissed because they won't give you something for nothing? Granted 10% isn't that much but still. I've seen people complain on here for not being able to use several coupons that would basically get them the item for free or close to it. Shame on us for pushing that. Small scrapbook stores don't do that & we don't complain but since Michaels is a big store we think we have the right to get anything we want? If they all closed several of us would be disappointed. Sorry for the rant but some of these posts seem unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

My only gripe with Michaels is that they never have a good supply of what they put on sale. I shop two stores. One in Hiram, GA and one in Douglasville, GA. The one in Hiram which is closer to my home is the worst stocked store. I got a gift card for Christmas and I have been in this store three times and could not find one thing to spend it on. Now I will just wait till I'm in the Douglasville area and try to find something there. I will say that I have always received good and friendly service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

If I check into a Sheraton hotel, I would not expect to get the discount room rates based on my Hilton VIP card so I guess I am not quite understanding the OP's logic on the use of the Joann's VIP card at the Michaels' stores. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow! I guess I'm lucky for the area I live in... both my Micheals and JoAnns are great places to shop... I can only think of a couple times where I've stood in line at Jo's for more than 5-10 minutes.

I appreciate the coupons that both stores offer..I have my own retail licence and IMO if you want everything as a discount then get your own retail licence... most items are purchased by the company at 50% of the price you see.....so that pack of DCWV cardstock that they have listed for $19.99 cost them 10.00 bucks to buy..........having your own retail licence allows you to buy that same pack for the same 10.00....but usually you have to buy 5 or so at a time....

You want to get more by having more coupons..... well take more ppl with you to buy. Remember they wont stay in bussiness if they allow as many coupons to be redeemed at one time you want...
let's keep everyone in bussiness so we all can keep crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes