Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Announcements (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/announcements-13/)
-   -   Memory Makers Magazine to Cease Publication (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/announcements-13/memory-makers-magazine-cease-publication-436919/)

stamptician 05-12-2009 01:16 PM

Memory Makers Magazine to Cease Publication

Well my scrapping friends we are losing yet another publication.
Memory Makers magazine will cease publication after is October 2009 Issue and the Memory Makers Masters Contest has been canceled. You may read about it here:
http://www.scrapbookupdate.com/scrap...cancelled.html

I am truly saddened by this. First Simple Scrapbooks, now Memory Makers.
I sure hope we don't lose Scrapbooks Etc. :(

basurok 05-12-2009 01:35 PM

Wow..that is a shame. I was sad to see Rubber Stamper go too. ;)

crafty1021 05-12-2009 02:24 PM

I followed your link and read a few other articles as well. The industry seems really shaky these days...the economy is really taking its toll and that is a shame.

stamptician 05-12-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021 (Post 14040663)
I followed your link and read a few other articles as well. The industry seems really shaky these days...the economy is really taking its toll and that is a shame.

Yes, it is really taking it's toll on the SB industry.

MiamiKel4 05-13-2009 07:10 AM

I'm so saddened by this ~ I am a subscribing and when I heard this, it just broke my heart. Scrapbooking (and now stamping) for me is such a joy - to receive a magazine in the mail and excitedly read through it to see new ideas and fresh pages & cards is just indescribable ......... then I slowly go through them again and again, often earmarking pages & reading more thoroughly. It makes me sad for the wonderful companies who have done outstanding all these years.

But I wonder ........ I also receive MM online -- will that stop as well, or just the hard copy magazine? Anyone?

vanislandwoman 05-13-2009 01:19 PM

Kelly, did you check their website? That would probably tell you if they are continuing the digital magazine, wouldn't it?

bethvb 05-13-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021 (Post 14040663)

I think it's a combination of the economy and the internet. Look at all the newspapers that are closing. People get their news and information on line now. Myself, I enjoy print and paper and I miss some of my favorite magazines that no longer exist.

iupindiana 05-13-2009 05:51 PM

And I just paid for a two year subscription.

stamptician 05-14-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiKel4 (Post 14046147)
I'm so saddened by this ~ I am a subscribing and when I heard this, it just broke my heart. Scrapbooking (and now stamping) for me is such a joy - to receive a magazine in the mail and excitedly read through it to see new ideas and fresh pages & cards is just indescribable ......... then I slowly go through them again and again, often earmarking pages & reading more thoroughly. It makes me sad for the wonderful companies who have done outstanding all these years.

But I wonder ........ I also receive MM online -- will that stop as well, or just the hard copy magazine? Anyone?

They did say in one of the articles that they could not even afford to continue the online version at this time.

sprtchick 05-14-2009 09:02 AM

Oh..that is so sad...I rather read articles on line but it is not always easy to take the laptop to different places to read...there are times a hard copy is better....
blessings.

grandmamichelf 05-14-2009 11:08 AM

Well that's really sad. I have a subscription but it is set to expire this summer. I hope Scrapbooks Etc doesn't fall by the wayside. So sad.

nestof3 05-15-2009 07:48 PM

I will definitely miss Simple Scrapbooks. MM has never been my style. It is the only sub. I have never renewed.

scrappingmommy2 05-15-2009 08:01 PM

this is sad. Creative Memories stopped doing the magazine they had also. Lasting Moments that you could get directly from them. :-)

Mingo 05-16-2009 11:55 AM

It's sad, but not surprising. I think there will always be a place for a print magazine, but there were too many of them. When you look at the variety of products out there, the number of companies that are providing them, and all of the product sites that exist, it's really quite astounding. Many people can get the information that they need from product sites (which all have ideas), blogs, and online newsletters. For them, they don't need to subscribe to a paper magazine.

Having said that, I'm one of those that likes my paper. I ready my news while sitting at the kitchen table with the paper in front of me, and I prefer to have my paper version of whatever magazine that I like. But... I think that I'm fast becoming the minority.

I think that we're going to start seeing actual product companies closing their doors soon. That would be very sad to our industry.

OakvilleMom 05-19-2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmommy2 (Post 14079014)
this is sad. Creative Memories stopped doing the magazine they had also. Lasting Moments that you could get directly from them. :-)

Hi Scrapping Mommy-I'm a CMC in Canada and yes, our magazine is ending this September-but CM has replaced it with their new Idea Books! I have gotten the first one and love it! If you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend it to any scrapper (CM exclusive or not). Lots of fun and trendy ideas.

Lazorkay 05-19-2009 08:05 AM

Well, since they sent me a renewal notice 2 weeks ago, and I renewed, I hope they refund my $$

scrappingmommy2 05-19-2009 08:39 AM

Hi LazorKay,
I actually renew-ed back last Oct and never got anything and the check did clear. So, I January I called and still wasn't told they weren't doing it anymore. They told me they would send out another renewal for me to send another check. Then, in March I finally receive something from them and it was my check that they claimed was lost in the mail as the reason it hadn't cleared the account.
I found it annoying they couldn't just tell me they weren't doing it anymore and send my check back way before. So that being said, I'm sure you'll get your money back, but no telling how long it will take. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazorkay (Post 14105132)
Well, since they sent me a renewal notice 2 weeks ago, and I renewed, I hope they refund my $$

lbreite 07-16-2009 07:50 AM

I'm confused. I called to see if I could get a refund, and the customer service rep tells me they are not ceasing publication. What? Has anyone heard differently, or was the rep just not informed?

Lazorkay 07-16-2009 07:54 AM

I am still waiting on the refund they told me they would sent me back in May

crafty1021 07-16-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbreite (Post 14640825)
I'm confused. I called to see if I could get a refund, and the customer service rep tells me they are not ceasing publication. What? Has anyone heard differently, or was the rep just not informed?

Hmmm...maybe this whole thing is just an internet rumor...we've all seen them before. Anyone else have any information?

ETA: I just went to the MM forum and message board and they are also buzzing about the magazine ceasing publication with the Sept./Oct. issue. Maybe you got a rep who doesn't really work for the magazine itself but at a general switchboard that handles many magazines/publishers. I would keep trying...I am still trying to get my money back or get a subscription to Creating Keepsakes after losing my renewed subscription money to Simple Scrapbooks. Good luck!

lbreite 07-16-2009 09:10 AM

Thanks Crafty1021, good idea. I'm going to call again later.

iupindiana 07-16-2009 09:35 AM

I received by check back for my subscription several week ago - uncashed. In the ltr they stated that they will stop publishing after the Sept/Oct issue. Sad

stamptician 07-16-2009 12:51 PM

It is all very sad to me. There was something I liked about all the magazines and something I didn't like about all of them yet, I kept subscribing to all of them. I'm a freak that way. I used to get so excited about the "mother load" in my mailbox when they came. Now, I'm down to- Creating Keepsakes, Scrapbooks Etc., and Scrapbook Trends(which is really pricey but, I like it cause it's full of layouts not ads.) I am hoping that one day they will make a comeback. Of course, I am a dreamer. ;)

lbreite 07-16-2009 02:34 PM

Ok, just called again. I got a different rep who said the same thing. This time, she said a supervisor would call me back. I guess they haven't informed the reps.

Luv.2.Stamp 07-16-2009 08:22 PM

How sad. I was sad to see them move from Denver and now I am really sad to see them close up shop.

Marcee 07-17-2009 12:27 PM

I'm not surprised. I am sad for all of the people that will lose thier job. Personally, I think we were inundated with SB publications. Most of them completely identical. I love SBE and hope that they are able to stay afloat.