Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Announcements (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/announcements-13/)
-   -   Like to dry emboss? More enabling! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/announcements-13/like-dry-emboss-more-enabling-490835/)

donelle 05-11-2010 01:37 PM

Like to dry emboss? More enabling!

:D Ok - run to your local Michaels. Go to the cake decorating aisle (say what???) and locate something called Duff Goldman's Texture Tiles. Two to a pack in cool designs for $4.95 - use a coupon if you have it! http://www.wilton.com/forums/attachments/SAVE0089.JPG

THEN: come home, take a texture tile and your cuttlebug and a spellbinders mat and use the following stack: B plate, A plate, texture tile, cardstock, spellbinders tan mat, B plate (you may or may not need a shim depending on your bug) and roll it through. Viola! An embossed paper! I got the Brick and Woodgrain - the woodgrain is so cool because it looks like a wooden floor with the planks, nails and all! I am going to go back and get more - I only bought one pack to start with to see if it worked. The texture tiles are hard clear plastic and are the exact size of your Cuttlebug plates. It didn't seem to hurt the tile in the least to send it thru- however, I could see how you could possibly break it if you tried to force it thru with too thick a material. Don't start with a shim - work your way up to it.
Have fun!!!

calgramma 05-11-2010 01:52 PM

WOW! I got M's money for Mother's Day and will have to check it out. Love Chef Duff on Ace of Cakes and will have to see what my M's has. Thanks for the info!

donelle 05-11-2010 01:55 PM

Okay - quick note: I just tried the brick texture tile and it has a little more relief and the spellbinders mat was too thick for it. I used the same stack but substituted the brown Papertrey ink mat and that was not too thick. I warped the brick texture tile a bit but it doesn't seem to have affected it at all. :o)

NancyLuvsMickey 05-13-2010 12:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up... I haven't been to Michael's in awhile, so I might just make a trip to see if they have 'em!!!

contrapat 05-13-2010 05:42 PM

Cool! Hm, there's a new Mikes, maybe I better go.....

meluvstampin 07-25-2010 06:01 AM

I just bought some yesterday and am going to try this!! THANK YOU!!!!

merrymoo2 07-25-2010 06:37 AM

awesome idea!!!! Now I *need* to make a trip to Mikes ;) thanks!

EmGee458 07-25-2010 08:50 AM

Ooh, MUST check these out! (I love Duff...)

cat_woman 07-25-2010 10:54 AM

I saw these and thought that I could probably do this. You could also go to the aisle where they have the modeling & bakable clays (like fimo & sculpey) and get some of the texture plates for this. The clay texture plates are usually made of rubber, so they could be used for background stamps as well.

momtored 07-25-2010 04:57 PM

I just went to Michaels today and they had these on sale for $3.74! I bought one to try it, actually 2 came in the pack so not a bad deal at all. My Mikes only had one each of 4 different designs. I only picked up one but may have to go back tomorrow!

SJh2oski 07-26-2010 06:22 AM

I had the same thought when I saw those, just haven't gotten around to trying or buying them yet. TFS!

gbedwright 07-26-2010 07:09 AM

Does anyone have a card to link here using these? I would love to see the patterns and depth of texture you get. TSMFS!

vaitiare 07-26-2010 07:59 AM

Would love to see some samples

I would love to see your examples too!

Allistamps123 07-27-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaitiare (Post 17069903)
I would love to see your examples too!

Me too, me too!

Boss 07-29-2010 07:19 PM

I couldn't stand not to be enabled, so I gave in to the urge and bought these today. They are 25% off at our nearest Michaels right now, so I picked up 3 different package designs. I restrained myself and didn't by the 4th package. :rolleyes:

Now to see how they work in my Bug! :cool: How are they working out for the rest of you?

davesgram 08-08-2010 07:56 PM

I have run the plate several times. The first time it was so tight it cut out the flowers. Then I could not get a good fit. I don't have any of the mats, so I have to improvise. I saw a video, think youtube, and she suggested a 1/8 in plumbers mat. The one I have is too thick. I think the one drawback for me: So far it is really bent badly, almost like a bowl. So how many more run thrus do I really have. I would love some ideas.

luvtobeamom 10-14-2010 01:33 PM

TOO FREAKEN COOL. :) I bought the brick and wood grain to start with - and all I can say is WOO HOOOOOO. I am totally going back for the other one(s) I ran it through with NO Problem thanks to your 'sandwich' and did not need a shim. I then tried inking it up and running it through, and love that look too. I saw them a few weeks back and thought, they 'should' work, but just didn't have the few extra singles on me to 'try', sure glad I did today! ENABLE ENABLE... go buy... but wait - wait for me to get mine. :)

Boss 10-14-2010 05:06 PM

I totally love the woodgrain (woodplank look :)), and the brick as well. The basketweave is also nice. The only one I don't care for is the rocks or pebbles set. The plastic plates are much thicker on these than on the plank and brick and it made little stress tears in the cardstock.

davesgram 10-14-2010 07:00 PM

Luvtobeamom and Boss I would love to know the sandwich you are using? Can you please post it? Thanks much!

scrapnut642 10-14-2010 07:13 PM

subbing

Boss 10-14-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesgram (Post 17444781)
Luvtobeamom and Boss I would love to know the sandwich you are using? Can you please post it? Thanks much!

Here's the sandwich that works in my Cuttlebug for the cake decorating texture tiles:
the stack from the bottom to the top is
Thick Plate A
Plate B
Texture tile (bumpy side up)
Cardstock you want to emboss
Spellbinders tan mat
Cardstock shim (sometimes need this depending on which tile you use)
Plate B

Keep in mind that every Cuttlebug is slightly different for tightness, so you may need no cardstock shims or more shims depending on the machine.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the pebble and rock texture tiles did not yield wonderful results in my 'Bug. The embossed paper was visibly stretched and broken, apparently because the texture was too dramatic for the paper to accept. Also, the texture tile itself sort of warped after it was run through the machine like it got squashed a tad too much! :shock:
Fortunately, I didn't have that problem with any of the other designs.

Hope this helps! :D

davesgram 10-14-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss (Post 17445285)
Here's the sandwich that works in my Cuttlebug for the cake decorating texture tiles:
the stack from the bottom to the top is
Thick Plate A
Plate B
Texture tile (bumpy side up)
Cardstock you want to emboss
Spellbinders tan mat
Cardstock shim (sometimes need this depending on which tile you use)
Plate B

Keep in mind that every Cuttlebug is slightly different for tightness, so you may need no cardstock shims or more shims depending on the machine.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the pebble and rock texture tiles did not yield wonderful results in my 'Bug. The embossed paper was visibly stretched and broken, apparently because the texture was too dramatic for the paper to accept. Also, the texture tile itself sort of warped after it was run through the machine like it got squashed a tad too much! :shock:
Fortunately, I didn't have that problem with any of the other designs.

Hope this helps! :D

It really does help! Thanks a bunch for posting this. Am going to give it a try.