Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pimp Your Profile - Warning

I saw a banner on here from "Pimp your profile" so I thought I would check it out. I use McAfee Site Advisor as part of my virus/firewall protection. It tells you if a site is safe from adware, spyware, malware or other unwanted programs that could be installed on your computer if you use any programs that are on it so you can visit the site at your own risk. I love this program.

Anyway � as soon as I opened the page I got a big yellow balloon warning me of this site. This is the warning that was at the top of the page. {In our tests, we found downloads on this site that some people consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs.}

User Review Summary for smileycentral.com
This site is good (37)
This site spams (10)
Adware, spyware, or viruses (284)
Excessive popups (6)
Phishing or other scams (3)
Bad shopping experience (2)
Browser exploit (3)

Her are just a couple of the reviews that were posted
Rating: Adware, spyware, or viruses
never use this site many viruses, come on McAfee make this site RED, my computer has never been the same since very slow now!!!!!!!
Posted at 01/10/2008-03:44:09 PM by evamallion, Reviewer , View profile [ Reputation score: 1 / 9 ]

Rating: Adware, spyware, or viruses
How is this yellow change it to RED! Installed this software on my test computer. Bad idea got a toolbar and a bunch of viruses. What ever you do DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS! in fact stay away from smileycentral. Oh yeh it should be called viruscentral :-D

Below is a link to the URL where you can read more about the website and some of the user comments.
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/smileycentral.com?aff_id=518-1&suite=true&premium=false&client_ver=2.6.0.6253&client_type=IEPlugin

Catholic guilt is the worst � if I didn�t post this message, every time I would see the banner I�d feel guilty because I�d worry that someone installed something from the site that might not have if they knew this info.

Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game
Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure to report this to Daven (SCS ID splitcoaststampers). He wants to know about this kind of stuff in the ads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian
Catholic guilt is the worst � if I didn�t post this message, every time I would see the banner I�d feel guilty because I�d worry that someone installed something from the site that might not have if they knew this info.
LOL about the Catholic quilt - SO true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

ok thanks, I'll do it now

I just sent him a E-Mail...

Last edited by Adrian; 01-12-2008 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: To add text
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kind of bummed about ads such as these on SCS. I liked it a lot better when it was just ads for papercrafting stuff. I am less apt to click on the banner ads now.

Last edited by Tracy-Stamper; 01-12-2008 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: I had no idea it could snow this much in the desert!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy-StamperView Post
I'm kind of bummed about ads such as these on SCS. I liked it a lot better when it was just ads for papercrafting stuff. I am less apt to click on the banner ads now.
I agree. Kind if scary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 03:14 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

BUMMER!!! I thought my computer being difficult these days was the kids fault. I guess after reading this posting it's MY fault. I downloaded Smiley central wanting some of those cute little waving guys I see people with!:rolleyes: Apologies are in order at MY house!!!!! Now to call the Geek Squad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I�m sorry to hear you downloaded from there and had a problem. I debated with myself before putting that post up to begin with and what finally won is how bad I would have felt if I read a post later that said �don�t download this is what happened to my computer because I did�

Before you go through the expense of Geek Squad which I have absolutely no confidence in at all � I would try the following:

1.)Check that your Virus software has the latest updates

2.)Download and install Windows Defender from this link http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

3.)Download and install AdWareAlert from this link http://www.adwarealert.com/index.php...FQIQFQodeEsy2A

4.)Print this page out so you�ll have reference to it after you reboot

5.)If you have a back-up drive of any kind make sure it�s turned on.

6.)Reboot your computer in safe mode and run all three applications until your computer all three applications show that there your computer is clean.

It�s going to take a long time to do this � because you have to keep running all three until the complete with a �0� files removed. Before running these applications, turn off your screensaver and make sure your system is not set to shutdown or sleep after �X� number of minutes.

The reason you have to do this in safe mode is, if any adware, spyware, malware or other unwanted programs are on your system and running sometimes they cannot be completely removed while they are running. Otherwise you�ll be going in an endless loop trying to remove them. The only way you�ll have a chance to remove them is to be in safe mode. And depending on what you have this still might not work � but I have seen success this way so a chance is a chance. It�s better to do this step then to have to have to do the next one.

To start-up in safe move � just re-boot and as soon as your computer is starting up start pressing �F8� � you�ll then get a screen that looks like the old Dos screen �Black with white writing on it� use your arrow key and arrow down to �start in safe mode� then press the enter key.

I would also not recommend going into any sites that you�re required to type a password or an account number as so many of these types of programs record keystrokes and send them back to the creator.

If after you�ve done all the above and you�re still having the same problems - you might still have to restore your computer with the CD�s that came with it. It�s easy to follow the directions. If you have a backup of your system you might want to check the location of the virus�s or any other files that have been removed � because they could very well be on your backup.

*The reason I don�t have any confidence with the Geek Squad is I�ve just finished having to deal with them due to a computer that I had under warranty that was just replaced because of the �Lemon Law� 1st I had to tell them what was wrong - then they had to come out three times to change my motherboard and power supply before I could qualify for a PC exchange. The last guy that was out � after he left I noticed that I had a couple extra screws on my desk that should have been inside of my unit. Lying next to them was a cable that should have be inside my unit that connected my original hard drive to a secondary drive I had. If that�s not bad enough my external hard drive that hooked up in a bay slot was not connected. My four card readers were not connected. My Firewire port was not connected and my USB ports were not connected. I had to reconnect some of this myself so I could do a final backup of my unit and destroy my hard drive before I returned it to the store for exchange.

The first dealing I had with them was when I first purchased the system. When I buy I new system I always upgrade the memory to the most the system can hold. They told me at the time of purchase they had to install the extra memory and other internal items that I was buying for warranty purposes. So I let them� They put in the wrong memory. I also bought an extra card so I could hook up my extra internal hard drive for backups. They put in the wrong card. Then when they put in the new one instead of putting it at the end because of the cable that was bulky they put it in the middle and it damaged one of the other cards. Long story short � I had three new computers in one day because of them I finally told them forget it � I�ll install everything. All this said I do know people that use them and they�ve been ok with the work they�ve done.

One last thought. After you�re finished with all this and you�re back up and running. One extra security step that you can take on your computer is to set-up users with limited access instead of the default �admin� access that is given when you create them. For added security the only time you should be using the computer as an Admin is when you�re installing or removing applications. All other times it�s safer as a limited access user. It takes less time to log-out and log in as an Admin to do any installs or uninstalls than it does to rebuild a system. The reason for this is when you get hit with any adware, spyware, malware or other unwanted programs as a �limited access user� you don�t have access to do what they�re trying to do to your system so they sit in limbo until your virus protection gets them. This is one of the reasons that Vista finally came out that by default new users are created this way. Sometime it takes Microsoft forever to catch up.

Hope this helps~
Adrian

Old 01-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #8  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't be too quick to condemn smileycentral. lots of people here use their service, and I can only assume they've had a good experience. the smileycentral site outlines what features are a part of the software, and what will be installed to your computer. and they *do* install lots of stuff. to each his own, but it doesn't appear to be malicious software.

to tracy and arinka, thanks for the feedback. we're experimenting now with some advertising that isn't as targeted to papercrafts, but if it proves to be unpopular we'll pull it.

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Adrian, TY SOOOO much for the info...I have to FIND the CD's that came with the puter now! :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by splitcoaststampersView Post
I wouldn't be too quick to condemn smileycentral. lots of people here use their service, and I can only assume they've had a good experience. the smileycentral site outlines what features are a part of the software, and what will be installed to your computer. and they *do* install lots of stuff. to each his own, but it doesn't appear to be malicious software.

to tracy and arinka, thanks for the feedback. we're experimenting now with some advertising that isn't as targeted to papercrafts, but if it proves to be unpopular we'll pull it.
Thanks for listening Daven, I love SCS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

On a side note, when you have a super long URL to post, you can "shrink" it at tinyurl.com before posting..... That will keep the board from being stretched causing us to have to scroll left to right.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I purposely posted the original link so users could see at a glance that the information was coming from McAfee Site Advisor and not my option. Had I shortened the link using either shrink it or html mark up they would have had to open another window just to see where the information was coming from. And as a webmaster I don�t want to bother people to open windows unnecessary or unless they want to.

Sorry about the scrolling...

Thanks~

Old 01-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #13  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

boy some people are so smart!
thank you Adrian i copied this to show my husband. useful info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

What is smiley central. It sounds familiar and I'm wondering if I ever downloaded and then deleted it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I think I downloaded smile box. I don't remember. All I know is I really messed up my computer and had to have someone come and work on it. Not because of smile box. Who knows why?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

It isn't as much fun with these types of ads, but it must help with costs of keeping the site free for us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you for the awesome info!
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for posting the warning.
Reply With Quote Likes