Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Michael's is also very snippy about coupons. They won't take AC Moore or Joann's that are printed out (even if the coupon says for in-store depemption). I have used a Joann's printed-out coupon at AC Moore with no problem, though. I almost never use my in-flier Joann's coupons at Joann's anymore, since I also get coupons from them via email. I usually save the in-print ones to take to Michaels (since we only get ads/fliers from them in the newspaper at Christmas time & maybe one or two other times per year).

It's interesting to hear how the policies seem to vary from region/store to region/store. I had no idea! I didn't know about using multiple coupons in one transaction, either. TFS!

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #42  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Michael's Coupons

I'm from Canada and I'm finding all the talk about Michael's coupons really interesting. It seems that it depends how good the sale is and which store you go to - each store must have its own policy. I've gone before when there was a long weekend sale and they had the 50% off coupons for a certain number of hours. I tried to buy some of the Spiderman stickers and they wouldn't let me use more than one coupon! On stickers yet!!! When I left and came back and tried to use another 50% off coupon at another till, one of the cashiers actually came over to the till I was at - way down the aisle - and told the cashier I had already used a coupon!!! I thought that was pretty bad, so stopped going there for quite some time. I must admit that I do still shop there, but I'm not a 'regular' like I used to be. The $stores here actually have some comparable merchandise, and it's only $1!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Great finds!!

My Business Website
My Little Crafting Corner Blog
My Little Crafty Etsy Shop

2010Christmas Card Goal 150 cards/48 completed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renski
yOU KNOW, i USED ONE AND MY DAUGHTER HAD ONE BEHIND ME (SHE IS 10) and the lady was quite ignorant to us about it. My sister was with us and the lady was saying how it was not the purpose of the coupon and my sister outright asked if the lady was saying that Taylor was not a paying customer and she said yes! I certainly couldn't use 2...
I have that problem too - my daughters stand in line with the coupon and cash and they are frowned on. They are paying customers too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #45  
Mad Swapper

All of your complaints are a reason why I rarely shop at Michaels. My LSS (actually part of a chain here in Utah) has a 40% off coupon every week, and they have them in the store. I can go in multiple times each week, which doesn't happen b/c it's not what I like to do with three little ones in tow...but if I were to go in multiple times, they could care less. They don't even require you have a coupon in hand, really. Each week they have the bar code taped to their registers so they can give all of their customers the discount. They've sure done a good job of keeping me as a regular customer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #46  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I think sometimes it's the luck of the draw with Michael's. Depends on who is at the register and what mood they are in. I used my 40% off coupon last week for a Cuttlebug and I had some minor issues, but was able to purchase it with the coupon. And 2 month's before that was told I wasn't allowed to use 2 coupons at a time! Different people at the register...

I am fortunate enough to live really close to 2, so my routine now is that on Tuesdays I go to one and use a 40% off coupon and on Thursday's I go to the other and use my neighbor's coupon. (Although, one time I used a coupon then went BACK in the store and went to another checker and used my other. I swear I felt like a criminal!) LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

I just wish there was some compitition for Michael's here in my neck of the woods (Canada). There are no other major craft stores anymore, just LSS (which are fabu by the way!!) and the craft section in department stores. We used to have other chains, but when Michael's came to town...

It's like when a starbuck's opens next to the local coffee house. *sigh*

On the bright side of things, my Michael's will give me the coupon if I don't physically have one, I just have to sign thier little clip board. They don't really mind if you use 2 coupons either, but it depends on the cashier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

I went to Michael's yesterday and asked for a coupon because, living in an apt. I don't always get the flyers....her response was, "awww, gee"!!! I was so stunned I told hubby I'm outta here. Unfortunatly, I didn't go talk to the manager, which I should have. We also only have Michael's here and the Provo craft tin I want is there *sigh*, my scrap store does not carry them. We do need more competition here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Michael's coupons

I think it depends on different stores. When I lived in San Antonio, one locatoin would only take one, while another would take two per visit (so go out of the store, come back in, or have your husband stand in another line!). When I was in Minnesota, same thing. One store in Minneapolis had no limit, while Rochester only allowed one. The is no consistency.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 06:53 AM   #50  
Kookie Creator

I'm interested in getting the Michael's ad via mail, too. Do any of you know how to get it??? I've looked on the website, but I couldn't find a sign up. I live 45 minutes away from M's (which is fine to plan a trip), but I'm not going to go up there just to look at the ad.

Thanks!
~Martha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 08:06 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Grrrr...Michael's is my nemisis! LOL I wrote an email to their corporate headquarters complaining about the inconsistency of their stores, the use of coupons, the lack of same products (Studio G $1 stamps..lol) and I haven't received a reply. I wasn't rude or ugly about it, I just stated that if each store was consistent with their policies, they would have more business! I also asked if they could train their cashiers and clerks to know about each section of the store so that if I had a question about using a certain product, I wouldn't get the "deer in the headlight" look or my favorite, "I don't know. I have never heard of that." :(

I still go and use my coupons! LOL I have to go a different day if I have more than one coupon otherwise I get the rude NO! and the "look."

One of these days I am going to make them a card and see if that makes them smile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #52  
Glitter Guru

I have to say as a Michaels employee I'm somewhat offended by some of the things I'm reading on this thread... I don't want to rant/upset anyone on this thread but you should be aware that it's not the cashiers fault that they don't take Joanns or Hobby Lobby on-line coupons, the district manager from what I understand makes the policies of what we can or cannot take for coupons, as well as this is company policy. Also the cashier is just doing their job set by management, calling employees at Michael's or any other stores "Little Snips" and other type remarks just doesn't reflect well on 'you the customer'. If you have a issue with an employee at any store you should request to speak with management. I'll also say that yes you'll get a cashier who isn't sure of items but she/he should be finding out for you. If they don't then get a manager who will help you out. I know that I've had to refer to management several times to find info. on items I'm unaware of, especially since out store has so many different items. Some of our employees are more familiar with items in different areas of craft/fine art/cake decorating/etc. Next time you in a Micahels look around at areas you don't normally shop and see if you can figure out every little nook and cranny of items we carry and know exactly what to do with those items.

Sorry for the rant but I think there is many ways to look at a situation and others sometimes only look through tunnels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mary williams
I have to say as a Michaels employee I'm somewhat offended by some of the things I'm reading on this thread... I don't want to rant/upset anyone on this thread but you should be aware that it's not the cashiers fault that they don't take Joanns or Hobby Lobby on-line coupons, the district manager from what I understand makes the policies of what we can or cannot take for coupons, as well as this is company policy. Also the cashier is just doing their job set by management, calling employees at Michael's or any other stores "Little Snips" and other type remarks just doesn't reflect well on 'you the customer'. If you have a issue with an employee at any store you should request to speak with management. I'll also say that yes you'll get a cashier who isn't sure of items but she/he should be finding out for you. If they don't then get a manager who will help you out. I know that I've had to refer to management several times to find info. on items I'm unaware of, especially since out store has so many different items. Some of our employees are more familiar with items in different areas of craft/fine art/cake decorating/etc. Next time you in a Micahels look around at areas you don't normally shop and see if you can figure out every little nook and cranny of items we carry and know exactly what to do with those items.

Sorry for the rant but I think there is many ways to look at a situation and others sometimes only look through tunnels.
You have every right to rant! Everyone else does! LOL Here is my take on this since I was the last to post. If you read through all of the Michael threads, including the new $1 dollar acrylic stamps, etc the store, as a CHAIN is not consistent. Why is it that some places take three coupons and some don't? Why is it that some stores have well stocked stores and some don't? Some have the dollar stamps. others don't, etc. It's really frustrating for people when it's the only store you have (besides online stores) to get some supplies and they don't have it when other places do.

Also, you are right, there are a lot of items and yes, not everyone knows everything but if you had clerks in each department that were the resident "experts" in just that area, then the other clerks could ask them as well. For example, I visited my store and asked one of the clerks for oderless mineral spirits. Someone had posted that Michael's sells it under the brand name Mona Lisa. The young girl told me that they don't sell anything like that and directed me to some turpentine! LOL I thought she was lovely because at least she tried! There is a big difference between someone that doesn't know something but is still willing to help and one that tells you they don't know and either walks off as you are still talking or acts as if you are bothering them. I witnessed this the other day with an older lady that was trying to figure out what paints to use for her stained glass windows.

I apologize on my behalf if you were offended since that was not the intention of anyone here, at least it was not my intention! In my letter to the corporate offices, I explained that if they were more consistent with their policies then they would have better sales! I'll try to be a bit more patient and understanding when I go back to the store.

Peace!:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

one more thing...if I didn't have this site as a resource to learn this wonderful new craft, I would be lost. The older lady that I mentioned above was learning a new craft, and she told me that she had read as many magazines and books about it but still wasn't quite sure about what materials to use. All she needed was a point in the right direction. I'm learning about rubber stamping also. If I didn't have all of you to point me to the right website or talk about different techniques, I wouldn't have a clue what the difference was between Stazon, Versamark, dye ink, EP, a brayer or the different types of markers, etc. All I wanted, before this site, was to have someone say, "You might want to use this..or a Cuttlebug does this and a Cricut does that." Does that make senes?

I guess I need to stop reading the "enabling" threads so that I don't run out and try to buy everything! LOL

Peace again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #55  
Kookie Creator

I'm sure each store has a different policy on coupons, just like their sale adds very in different parts of the country. My daughter is back east and whats on sale there is not on sale out here, same goes for my other daughter in Idaho, certain parts of their add is different than ours. All so we have to do different transactions for each coupon in hand and you can't enter a zipcode so they can take off the coupon at my store.
I really think these stores need to have same adds since they are a chain, no matter where they are located and the same policy's for coupon's. I don't believe my M"s will except JoAnns coupons at all here. Guess I'll have to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #56  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Talk about inconsistancy! I had a 50% off coupon to use for my cuttlebug. Yesterday the store would not allow my friend to purchase hers with a coupon as it says it was not to be used with cricut products. If I'm not mistaken, a cuttlebug is a provo craft item (same makers as cricut). To make a long story short, I ended up calling the manager of the store and challenging her on it. I even went to the michaels website and typed in cricut products, and no cuttlebug appeared under that title! The manager finally gave in and said that I could use it! I happily purchased my cuttlebug today - and all the store cashiers said that they were told to honour coupons with cuttlebug products today!!! I wish I had done this sooner....I would have been able to purchase one ages ago - and so would everybody else I know. Let's just say that some of us are slightly fiancially challeged and NEED the Michaels coupons!!!! LOL -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #57  
Glitter Guru

Miabel, and blondie090277,

I do understand where your coming, no not everyone is financially able to purchase without the use of coupons and I for one have to use coupons myself.... I can tell you we don't make that much working at Michaels and discounts for employees aren't that great, so the coupons are the only thing I purchase with myself.

As for employees being helpful... all I can say is not everyone comes in trained on how to use specific products or what these products do. I also know that there are times when you know you'd be better off refering a customer to a specific employee and she/he isn't scheduled for that day to even ask, it stinks.... we have employees that are working at our store who come in not knowing anything about any crafts and the focus of the job is getting product out on the floor. I know in fact that Michaels as a company "assumes that the majority of its cutomers know what they want and don't want to be bothered", it was in a training vedio I watched when I first started, we are only supposed to help when asked & really other than greet a customer/help when needed.

I know it stinks when you can go from different stores that are all a "Chain" store and have different policies. It's frustrating for customers and extremly frustrating as an employee... because we get to deal with the reality of upset customers. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience at Michaels, all I can say is go directly to a manager or the head of the company and complain. Not all of use employees at Michaels are unfriendly and uncaring!

As for them not having items in stock or not being consitant with what they carry I'd speak directly to the store manager. I know the store I work at right now is going through a "re-set" so everything is changing places, we are getting in new product and some procduct is at the stores for 'trial' times to see how well it does before all stores carry the items. I get frustrated knowing that certain stores in just my city carry more of a type of item then other stores, I don't know how or why this is done this way but the upper management must have a reason for doing this. But I sure would talk to your manager to find out why the incositancy of it or write to the company. Let us all know answers when you get them please.

By the way Miable, you didn't offend me... earlier in the thread and in others I have read horrible remarks about employees at Michaels and it just frustrates me because we aren't all like that, all I can say for those of you who are irritated by what a employee does or says you need to talk to a manager.

So enough said about all this, I hope you all are able to get what you are wanting with your coupons... and understand frustartions in not getting to use them on certain products or at particular times/dates. I know the store I work at honored the cuttle bug as part of the coupon, if it doesn't state it on the coupon about not being accepted on certain items it should be posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #58  
Mad Swapper

I do find that different locations have different rules! At ours, they kindly let us use the coupon even if we don't have one in hand - they keep a common one at the cash register, and you just have to sign a sheet saying why you don't have one. For me, I live in a apartment and we rarely get them. Most people just write on the sheet "no coupon".
At our location, several years ago, I think that twice they let me use 2 coupons but they had to be on seperate transactions. I certainly didn't do it every time, ha ha, but just when I had to buy more than one really expensive item. When I asked a third time, which was much later (at least 6 months), they said that you couldn't, and when I said that they had let me do it the last time I asked, they said "well they aren't supposed to let you". So I guess their rule is one and those cashiers were just breaking the rules, or else they've changed their rules.
It makes sense to me, because they do lose money with coupons, but most people don't buy big ticket items there unless they have a coupon, so they just come back the next day, ha ha!
We don't have any other craft stores here for competor coupons, so we don't have any policies like that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 04:58 PM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

Mary Williams:
Well put! I think we are on the same boat, just expressed ourselves differently. I guess when I want something I want it now! LOL

Anyway, I do appreciate your point of view because I never thought that maybe they were catering to people that do know what they need and just go and get it.

Like I said before, I will still use my coupons and they will still see me in the store two or three times a week!

Now I have to go to bed early so I can be at the store tomorrow by 8 for their 30 percent off sale!!! LOLOLOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #60  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandygrove
I usually make my husband go along if I have 2 coupons. They ring mine up and I turn around and give him the bank card to use for his purchase. They have to know that people do this - it is kind of ridiculous that they don't just let you use the coupons on the same transaction.

I've also used a coupon, gone out of the store, put that purchase in the car, walked back in, gotten something else, went to a different cashier and used a different coupon.

Boy, you are definitely lucky there! Our AC Moore cashiers will watch you, and if you use a coupon and come back on their shift--they will tell you--you can't do that. You were already here once with a coupon. Crazy, isn't it?! What do they care? It is not coming out of their pockets, and I would imagine the company gives them this discount so they can pass it on to the customers, don't ya think?!

One day my mom and I were both together. She could not use her coupon, because she bought sale items--passed it to me, and the lady was ticked because of it. Geez :(
Barbaralynn's Summer Swap

I'm a BRAK member. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for more information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I've used more than one coupon at Michael's. They just rang each purhase up separately. They were very nice about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Mike's told me today that they are not going to accept competitors coupons anymore??!? They said that since HL was 20 minutes away, they don't really consider them to be competition! :o(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

I had a good day today. At Mike's I bought 2 items using 2 coupons, the cashier rang it up on the same receipt. No problem and the 20ish male cashier was very pleasant. My DH bought a cuttlebug embossing plate with a 3rd coupon. I felt like I hit the jackpot using 3 coupons in one trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 PM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

I always use M's, Joanns, and Hobby Lobby at the same time. They now have to do them each seperate. I have done this for years.

Alice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's so frustrating sometimes about the coupon thing. My work gets the Sunday paper delivered, so every Monday I check the paper to see if there's a Michaels ad, but of course, it's never in there. I called & complained, they said most of the time they put the ad in home delivery papers & not businesses. On another note, I also emailed Michaels on the internet to see why they don't have coupons via internet, but they haven't responded yet.
I feel like I'm missing out on some things I really want, but don't want to pay the full cost. Sometimes, Joann's doesn't have nearly the selection M's does in the cuttlebug accessories.

Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Do you have a Hobby Lobby near you? In your Sunday paper they usually have an ad in one of the regular sections. If there is one, cut that coupon out and M's will honor it.

Also, I get emails all the time from Hobby Lobby and they also have printable coupons on their website, you can print those and also use those coupons as well. That way you can use them both places. I usually print out 3 or 4, and go back a couple of times if there is something I really want. If you don't have a H.L. near you, still sign up for the emails and you will get the ad and the coupons online. It is another every other week thing like M's, if they have a coupon in the paper or not.

Joann's is another website that will send you many emails, and they usually have coupons with every email. Sign up with them.

I hope this will help you get some discounts like everyone else!!!! Good Luck!

Alice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #67  
Inking Addict

I live 1 1/2 hours from the nearest Michaels Store, our sunday papers dont carry the coupons I asked them yesterday if they had a mailing list--they dont. They let me have a 40% off on giga punch which was what I went to buy---but I had to ask and smile real big... I think it is unfair in a way because us rural crafters buy alot of stuff too and usually only about once a month so it is alway a $$$ sale. But I thanked then sweetly.
I wish they would just include them in the big city sunday paper but say it is not worth the advertising ??

that was just my two cents worth--would of given more but I went to michaels last night and spent $70 on ribbon only!!!!! got a wonder sale for it right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #68  
Rubber Obsessor

I just love their ribbon. I didn't buy 70 but about 30. You can't beat the price. Too bad they won't put ads in the big city newspaper. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to call corporate and explain to them that rural people do stamp and scrapbook and it would be worth it to advertise.

It couldn't hurt!

Alice:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #69  
Inking Addict

I found out all I have to do is ask to "sign for a coupon" at the checkout counter and put my reason for needing it as out of area, left at home, or didnt get one in paper etc.. So that makes it okay. and they also said I could use it 2 times... I'll try it next time and see!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #70  
Embossing Fanatic

I had a situation this weekend where michaels wouldnt allow me to sign for the coupon -- If I didn't have they would not honor the 40% discount. I spoke to the manager on duty (& he wasn't to overly concerned !) and was told that the CORPORATE office changed the policy on letting customers sign the sheet for the discount ... Just wondering if others had the same experience ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 03:00 AM   #71  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

I have found that it depends on which store you in as to whether you can use three coupons on the same transaction. In one store, they took all three coupons -- a Michaels, a Joann, and an AC Moore -- on the same transaction. In the other store, they took a Michaels and ONE competitor's coupon for one transaction; and then did a second transaction using the other competitor's coupon. Joann, on the other hand, will take as many coupons as you have -- so long as they are from different sources. For example, you could use three Joann coupons on the same transaction -- one from the newspaper, one from a mailer you received, and one from their e-mail. In addition, you could still use competitors' coupons on the same transaction.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 AM   #72  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My store just got the new CB dies in and JUST stopped taking the coupons for CB stuff. I pointed out that the coupon said no Cricit, so the manager gave it to me "this once" and will have corporate call me. I agree, the policy is unclear and inconsistant. But they were very nice about trying to explain it to me.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes