Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2005, 02:09 PM   #161  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)

Last edited by photocropper; 09-25-2005 at 01:05 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyMountainStamper
I think that all this negativity and whining is RIDICULOUS!!!!!

No one OWES anyone on this site ANYTHING!

This is REALLY simple. YOU USE IT, YOU PAY FOR IT. We've been LUCKY to have had this for FREE as long as we have.

I was debating whether or not to even stay a demo (had to only fulfill minimums for a year - REALLY rough time) when I came across this site. It has LITERALLY lit my fire for SU again!

I am on here A LOT and have actually very recently begun to wonder how it's possible that they are able to do this with such limited funding. There's a bunch of us that subscribe to the Fan Club, but not THAT many! How on earth have the Nolta's been making it?

To think that we can all just free-ride on their sacrifice is pretty ungrateful. It's like they've invited us over for breakfast, lunch, and dinner EVERY day, asking for donations IF POSSIBLE, and now they're finally crying "Uncle" and asking that we contribute a TEENY portion of the cost to help them out.

I KNOW that there are those out there who TRULY can't afford this (Trust me on this one, my DH has been out of work 3 times in the last 2 1/2 yrs - I know all about a tight budget!). But for the HUGE majority of us, this is a drop in the bucket!!!

Like others have suggested, drink a few less coffees a week; cancel 1 subscription to a mag; go out to eat 1 TIME less this month; and you've got a WHOLE year of SCS paid for. Come on gals, seriously.

Daven & Tracy--Do What You Need to do!!!

We're all big girls here. If there are those who are so "offended" that they are asked to contribute to something that greatly benefits them, so be it. You will NEVER please all the people all the time!!!

You've got the vast majority on your side. Good luck with all the decisions in front of you.
This says it all. You can't please everyone. You need to do what you have to do. I guess some of them don't realize how much time and money it has cost to keep this going. I know I love this site and think that the $25.00 is well worth every penny. I am sure alot of these ladies have spent that much on crazy things. It is there decision if they want to pay. So many want everything for FREE. In this day and age FREE doesn't happen anymore. We should be so lucky that it has been free.

Diana
Polyshrink Goddess

I would have to agree with the majority here. As a fellow IT professional, I know how much it costs for servers, software, etc. If you break the cost down, it's .07 cents a day! Most of us frequent SCS every day, so just put .07 cents in a jar every day for a year and then you can pay for your gallery addiction. Isn't that how most of us pay for our stamps? I personally don't think that $25 is too much for a year subscription, especially to something to wonderful and full of ideas.

Keep up the great work SCS team. You guys put in so much effort, time and money into this site, just to keep us fellow stampers happy. I know that this decision was probably hard for you to make, but in the long run, people will understand.

Thanks for all you do!!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:14 PM   #164  
LOSTchick

Daven & Tracy,

Thank you for sharing SCS with all of us!

I will support any decision that you will have to make. I enjoy the benefits that my current fan club subscription gives me, and I will gladly pay $25 to renew my subscription.
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid and it wasn't just to access the DD gallery--it was because I know that this site costs money to maintain and I get way more than my money's worth from this site than $20-$25 per year! There are thousands of examples to look through--way more than looking at the samples on the SU site please the instant grafitication of all of the forums and the opportunity to join in on RAKS and SS as well? Wow, I'm sorry that it is such a hardship for many but this is so reasonable that I cannot even fathom how people would complain about paying to access the site!

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Mad Swapper

I was a member for just a few weeks and immediately signed up for the Fan Club!! Just $20... it was a steal to me!!!! I say .."great idea!"
Inking Addict

Location: Bradenton Florida there is NO city called Lakewood Ranch!!!

I have been so frustrated by the slow galleries (and sometimes the forums)! I am already a fan club member (with 2 SCS T-shirts) because I feel that this site needed to be supported. I am fine with the change you want to make for October, but, I would encourage you to consider making these changes permanent, rather than just for 1 month. :rolleyes:

The site is growing rapidly and it would seem that it will only continue to do so. The current membership fee is more than reasonable, and if you varied the levels of access at different fee structures, you could maintain membership AND support this site! What a concept!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Always dreaming of the next big project :rolleyes:
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up Pay to play....ticket for one, please.

Stampers:

There is no free lunch and we've all been piggin' out at this creative food trough for long enough on this site. I pay for 2 websites each month and I know how much work it takes to keep them up and running. I've even had to upgrade one site in order to support more traffic. That said...where is the end of the line so that I can pay up????

Oh, and a big rubber hug to those who work behind the scenes to dish out our daily menus! Yum! You guys rock!
Crimping Master

Thumbs up

I know this must have been a very hard decision and I bet you spent some time thinking of different solutions to this dilemma. I think it is the best possible answer. It is not going to please everyone, unfortunately. Thanks for all the hard work! I "live" here just about everyday!
Rubber Obsessor

Membership has it privileges! I welcome memberships if it enables me to access the galleries. I have been soooo frustrated by paying for the fan club and not being able to access it. I just renewed my membership and would like to see it remain a paid site. Even have a demo's only gallery or something. I have learned more from this site as a SU demo than from any other resource out there. I rarely go the actual SU site other than to order. Keep up the good work and don't apologize for doing what you have to do in order to keep things running smoothly.
A LOST 4400

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
YOU LIE!!!!!!!

You just are a toilet-lickin-fool for FUN! I've seeeeen that $$ tree!
You been spyin' on me??????

OK! actual question here--does this affect the forums? Of course I have not read the info in the original post as that would make too much sense.
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Matboard Maniac

I think it's a very bad idea to limit uploading to paying members. I think it would be a better idea to have a tiered system similar to what Webshots does. If you are a paid member, you have XX amount of space (or unlimited space), and free memberships have a smaller gallery. That way everyone has a chance to share their projects even if they can't afford to be members. I haven't loaded anything in the gallery so this may be a moot point, but I would also suggest limiting file size for everyone.

As I understand it, you can see everything in the gallery through member galleries (except Fan Club stuff) - right? So really, by limiting the "galleries by sets" to paid members you're not really limiting what free members can see, just taking away the convienence of looking through "galleries by sets". If that's what your doing I'm OK with that. I think it's fair to ask people to pay to have the luxury of "galleries by sets". If they want a free membership, they can still see everything they just have to work a little harder to find it. If they want to pay a fee, then they can take the easier route.
Stampin' Fool

I for one am a BIG fan club member going on now my 2nd year I just re upped this past week and there wasnt even a doubt to "if "I was going too.. I love this site and everything it has to offer from the friendships , art work, techniques, galleries, forum, and yes even the heated debates ..I for one am behind you all the way on whatever you go with thanks so much for giving us all a heads up
keep up the great work ...
xxoxo
Dawn
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

I agree with all the yes'!!!!!!!!!!

You all go to such great lengths to keep this place up and running!! We have been so lucky to have had it free for so long!! You guys shouldn't have to float the boat forever! We use it - we should help pay for it!!

I would honestly feel better if we had membership access - maybe it would maintain the positive community if we all had a vested interest!! Like having stock in the company you work for. It naturally brings out the best in yourself and your performance!!

Thank you for everything you do!! This site is amazing and those of us that support you, support your decision and will stand behind you!!! Go for it!
Matboard Maniac

I just joined about a month ago and am totally addicted. I put off buying the membership because you got so much for free! Just last night I was telling my husband how I didn't understand how this was a free website! I will totally pay the membership! The cost of the membership is like one stamp set which you could put off buying because you get so many ideas on how to put your current sets to work anyway! Thank you for the great site!
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by degrffn

AMEN MAMA K!! --

Ok, so I can't even finish reading the responses to this thread, I'm becoming so irritated! Seriously people! You really think this should be free?! You pay for internet access, you pay for your stamps, you pay for cable tv . . . . Daven and Tracy and all the mods and DD girls, etc. don't OWE us a thing -- they do this because they love it and wanted a nice place for people to come and talk about stamping.

And this from little ole' me who never responds harshly to anything I read in the forums on here!
Well said! She's right, the whole SCS crew owe us NOTHING! They spend their time approving our photos, moving them around, making sure our postings are in the right forums, providing tutorials, and the list goes on and on and on....

The LEAST we can do is help out financially. I don't think it's fair for us to question at all where the fan club money goes to. The bottom line is we pay for access to the DD gallery and what they do with the subscription money is their discretion. But as MamaK said before - it's probably due to all the server upgrades they do to keep this site up and going like it is.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #177  
Kookie Creator

Sometimes $ can be a little tight, not just for me, but for everyone elso, too. However when I think how much I COULD spend on magazines or books, and compare to how often I "visit" here... This is well worth the $. Being a rather new Su demo, this site is invalualble to me! I have shared so many things with my upline, and got her to become a member as well. I love that that there are things for demos only! I need all the edge I can get to stay one jump ahead of some of my custamers!!!
so, I say, go for it, you may get more paid members!
By the way, a HUGE THANKYOU to all for all you do!
A LOST 4400

Administratively I think it would be hard to keep up with those that would want to pay their membership in "installments".
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjodylynn
I am all for it Daven and Tracy!

I am a SCS addict and I WILL pay $25.00 a year when it's time to renew! I upload, I ask questions, I bug Jenn (right Jenn), I am a member of the secret sister program, I participate in VSN, I download forms and tip sheets and just READ. I laugh, I cry, I get mad, I get happy, BUT I come back... everyday.

I throw away a lot more than $25.00 a month on junk that I can do without. I am a SAHM, but when I tell my husband about the change, he'll know there is no choice... LOL SCS keeps me sane. I come here for the great company.

Some may go... if they do, so be it. They probably don't have a vested interest in splitcoast. I am here to share ideas, take great ideas and form friendships. We all know that FREE is a rare thing. When it's as good as SCS, we should be willing to contribute.

I look forward to being able to view the gallery and not have to stay up until midnight to do it!
Perfectly put Jody! SInce I could not put it any better I will just add my 2 cents to yours:
I'm not a SAHM anymore & can afford the $25 (justifying that is much easier than $3.50 for a latte!!! LOL) but when I was a SAHM & my kids were watching Sesame St & Mr Rogers EVERYDAY, I felt obligated to pitch in to keep public telly running! I feel the same way about this site; I have not been a member (or a stamper) for too long, but as soon as I saw how much it meant to me for the ideas & the friendships here, I felt guilty NOT pitching in to support it! I still love the galleries, slow or not & love to comment on as much as I can, (again, paying it forward cause I know how good comments make me feel!); I've learned more here than I could ever learn in the classes I was PAYING for where I might learn 1 new technique at a time; If I buy a magazine & can't figure out how to CASE something, do you think I could contact them & have 10 suggestions in 10 minutes like we do here? I think not! So I'll renew my membership as needed & I think I'll also buy that t-shirt I keep thinking about! (I want to be "tee-spotted" when I hit Hawaii next month!). That was more like 10 cents, huh?? Thanks as always to those behind the scenes!
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll just look at it like one of my stamping magazine subscriptions....only I'm getting a better deal out of the website than any magazine I could buy on the market! Would it be helpful if we went in and cleaned out our files? Got rid of subscriptions to threads no longer needed, cleaned out the PM box, etc? I bet a lot of space could be made by cleaning out old stuff!
Kookie Creator

:???: i'm on the fence with this one. I understand that everything can't always be free. I am so grateful for the information that i have received on SCS. But that's what was cool about this site. A place where we could all come together with our ideas and share our creativity for FREE. I think if we charge (even if it's 20$ month) we are going to loose so many people. Maybe as someone else suggested, since so many people will be joining now, maybe lower the cost to 10$. IMHO 10 is much easier to swallow than 20.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Well, I'm gonna put in my 2 cents.

I just joined and I love this website! I am not an SU! demo but as someone else said, the benefits are incredible for demos and non-demos. Not only do you have wonderful ideas, but also wonderful people who are kind and helpful. I wouldn't let $25 bucks keep me from SCS!

Hubby puts me on a stamping budget every month so I was planning to join the fan club next month anyway when my new stamping budget kicks in.
I hope everyone else will do the same!
Rubber Obsessor

Hmmm 55,000 members at $20 dollars a piece is $1,100,000.00. Just exactly what IS the cost to run a website? I'd think a maiximum of $2000 a month would be asking enough and that's only 50 cents a year for each member. Most of the peole that want to pay for the site are already paying now. Once we all pay, and we are ALL now able to slow down the gallery, aren't we back to square one? Go to godaddy.com and find how much it actually cost to set up a site.
And now that I've said that-I'll be paying for it if that's what I have to do, but I definitely think that everyone wants to make money, and this should be labeled for the money maker that it is.
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by acer
Hmmm 55,000 members at $20 dollars a piece is $1,100,000.00. Just exactly what IS the cost to run a website? I'd think a maiximum of $2000 a month would be asking enough and that's only 50 cents a year for each member. Most of the peole that want to pay for the site are already paying now. Once we all pay, and we are ALL now able to slow down the gallery, aren't we back to square one? Go to godaddy.com and find how much it actually cost to set up a site.
And now that I've said that-I'll be paying for it if that's what I have to do, but I definitely think that everyone wants to make money, and this should be labeled for the money maker that it is.
Oh, for Pete's Sake!! They're not trying to get every person who clicks here to pay for a subscription. They're trying to get the gallery traffic to slow down so they can upgrade it.

and they all lived scrappily ever after - my blog
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

The odds of getting everyone to subscribe, not matter what the price, will never happen. I would say a site is lucky to get 10-20 percent to subscribe, period, no matter what. And, and this is a big and, setting up a site and maintaining one are 2 totally different things. Especially one with the unlimited photo loads available, as there are here.

Last edited by 11Valerie11; 09-22-2005 at 02:59 PM..
Minglerville Blabber
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 304 Posts

I say go full steam ahead!!! $25 is something people pay for all of the time for a class, magazine, tool, stamp set..... A bunch of you have already said this.

Nobody should be whining over this. I happen to think it shouldn't be temporary. I think it should be something that is switched over and never switched back. That is my opinion.

People need to remember there are still areas that will be FREE.

I say go for it and don't feel guilty.
Debra
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Gallery Gazer

Daven...I think it's a great idea! I understand that some folks will be upset, but that's life. Nothing is really *free* for anyone. It costs time AND money to keep the site up and it is about time we started giving back as a collective unit..aka The Borg.

JMO...

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Polyshrink Goddess

How many of 55,000 are paid members now?
Diana
Stazon Splitcoast

How about doing it like the cell phone companies do. Free during "non-peak hours". I work full time, have a family, volunteer AND I'm a SU Demo. I have never had a problem with the gallery being slow. I do have high speed internet access but the more likely reason is that I don't access the gallery until around 10PM and often even later than that.

I do think if it is eventually going to a paid only site, the fee needs to come down. Maybe $15????

I was going to join a month or so ago even though I don't use the gallery that much. I was doing it out of thankfulness. But my paypal account is screwed up and I can't open another one because of their security policy. Mailing the check is kind of a hassle and more than that, I forget to do it. So my only other suggestion is if you are going to become a "members only" site please support your own payment options. Not everybody has a Paypal account. If I could have paid via credit card securely without using PayPal I probably would have joined a couple of months back.

That said - thanks for your efforts. It's been a great ride!
Polyshrink Goddess

I am also on the fence with this one. I have to say I have not become a member because I haven't had the money and what money I have had has gone to buy supplies I need as a demo to keep me going. I have gained and learned so much from this site and all of it's creative members that I would try to become a member. However I have to agree with many others that the price will deter many who can't afford it from becoming members and you would lose a lot of creative people. My other concern is once you charge a fee what stops that fee from being continually raised from year to year so that it becomes like the many other sites whose fees are now outrageous. Good luck with whatever is decided. I know it is a hard decision for all involved to make. Thank you all and especially the staff who bear the brunt of all this.

Sharon
Compulsive Stamper

i have paid as a fan club member and have never regretted it. i'm not a demonstrator so don't have the benefit of the stuff that demonstrators get from stampin' up, but i've learned so much from the tutorials and CASE'd so many cards that it's been money well spent. i absolutely support having some parts of the site available to fan club members only.
Matboard Maniac

I'm so sad.:( I know I've been very lucky to have been able to have full access to this site for the past year that I've been a member. You guys have been very generous to let people come and go as they please and not charge for it. I've never been at a good point where I can join the fan club. I use all of my profits for upcoming workshops and don't put any of my own money into stamping stuff. I can't afford to. So I'd guess you'd call me a hobby demo. My husband just got demoted due to county funding cutbacks. And I'm going to have to find a job for nights and weekends, so that I can still take care of my son weekdays. I love getting on Splitcoast everyday! Maybe I'll have a big workshop and will be able to save out $25. I sure hope so! Don't think I can go without Splitcoast! I understand your decision and the need to pay for what you do to make this an awesome site. I'm not whining, just sad and felt like talking. Thanks for listening.
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 217 Likes on 134 Posts

Count me among those who think this is a good idea and in my opinion, an inevitable one. I'm in my second year as a fan club member, and joined not only for the great DD gallery, but because I felt guilty getting all this site offers for free! And I know how much time Tracy, Daven. and all the moderators have to put into this. Let's face it, stamping isn't a particularly low-cost hobby, so budget your stamping dollars to include this FABULOUS resource!
And I WILL appreciate the quicker access to the galley - I have had to view a lot less of it lately because I don't have enough free time to accomodate the long waits. Thanks for addressing the problems! You all do a terrific job here!!!
Queen Shouldareadahead

Location: back in a gated community...the twins are mobile!!!!!!!
Thumbs up

Hey, man (that would be you, Daven ;))...whatever it takes to get the gallery to a reasonable speed, I'm there. I understand it's temporary, but honestly, I wouldn't mind if it were permanent.

Like many others who have already posted, I don't go to the gallery very often just for the very fact that it's so slow. I don't want anyone to pee in her pants, but I'm 2 months (at least) behind on looking at the DD Gallery b/c it's so slow!! I KNOW!!!! So, if you can help it speed up, I'm all for it.

I find it impressive that you're only doing it temporarily, though.

Now, all those people who got their panties in a wad about this need to go back & read your post...

Daven: You. Are. The. Man.
Stampin' Fool

I am a (very happy) Fan Club memeber and I am totally addicted to this site...

I understand the financial dilema here but I DO NOT approve of the "only fan club members can upload pictures to the site"

This is the only area I don't agree with simply because it will greatly limit exposure to everyones creations. I wanna see EVERYONE'S work and I would pay extra again to see a "special" fan club type gallery.

Isn't there any other way to make this work???? Maybe start charging a member fee to all newcomers from here on out........
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

This made me mad. So what if every member paid 20.00 a piece? Daven and Tracy have put together something that is priceless to many of us. Not only are the ideas wonderful, but the camaraderie among members means a lot. We can come here where others understand and share our obsession. Davin and Tracy do not and should not justify what they do. Many of us with full-time jobs consider 40 hours our work week. Ask Daven and/or Tracy how many hours they put into SCS and then divide that number down - not much per hour I'm guessing. If they become millionaires from this site - more power to them. I don't begrudge Bill Gates his good fortune either. They provide me with something I cannot provide for myself!

deb

Dirty Dozen Alumni

If you think Daven and Tracy are trying to make money off of this site, you are best going somewhere else.
The Digi-Freak

Well, from what I hear, Daven DOES have a new SUV funded by SCS'ers! And I mean, Tracy has ALL those Manolo Blahnik's! A girl's gotta have her shoes!

Riiiiiight.

I highly doubt Daven and Tracy would be taking advantage of us, or they would have done it a long time ago!

Kimberly
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliesmom
Oh, for Pete's Sake!! They're not trying to get every person who clicks here to pay for a subscription. They're trying to get the gallery traffic to slow down so they can upgrade it.
no whining-Elliesmom-in fact, just pointing out the brilliance here. And that's just what it is.
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up The Fan Club Fee is a DEAL!!!!!

I will renew when i get a notice, and think you are on the right track...I have slacked on posting because of the speed of the gallery...I think the fee is comparable to a mag subscription and you get super bennies!!
Thanks for all you do!!

rats. I was afraid of that.