Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Wal Mart getting out of crafts & fabric?

The rumor here is our Wal Marts will be getting out of the crafts & fabric business....soooooo I had to go and check it out.

About 50% of the scrapbook stuff aisle (yes it's one aisle) is on sale. Some cheap, like glue that goes for $1.96 in the next row over, is $1 in the scrapbook aisle. Epoxy letter stickers and charms for $1 marked down from $1.50 ish. They have cool totes made by Scraptote for $4. I found a box of 200 buttons marked down from $8.48 to $6. The buttons were a few rows over, but still on sale!

No one could confirm the rumor, but I am hoping they are following my Target's lead. There they slashed prices then refilled the aisle with much cooler stuff. But Primas in a jar for $9.99 isn't much of a bargain.

May the force be with you and your checkbook.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll have to check that out tomorrow. You have Prima's at Target or Walmart ? I can't imagine, lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My Walmart has next to nothing in crafts and no fabric now. Crazy stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I was in our WM yesterday and the lady in the facric section asked me to sign a petition to keep the fabrics because they want to bring in crafts such as stamping and scrapbooking!:eek: I declined......:rolleyes:
Our WM is in such dire straits (hey weren't they a band?:cool: )that they now have gone from 24 hour status, to closing each night at 8:00 because no one wants to work nights. Can you believe it? This little town I live in is booming, we have less than 1% unemployment, 28,000 people are supposed to be moving in in the next 6 months from real, cities such as Houston, Dallas, Lubbock, Phoenix....and our WM only wants to be open from 7a.m.-8p.m. Oh brother.
Proud mom of 2 soldiers-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 04:44 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

We finally got a Walmart here and what a disappointment. No crafts and no material. A couple sewing machines and sewing notions is all that comes close to any kind of craft. Each department is a small sampling of every other WM I've been in. Can't complain too much about the groceries, though. Giving our other 2 grocery stores some competition. Now if only Target would come to town (sigh). Got off track, sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Default rumors are true

I work for Wal-Mart and the stores are eventually going to get out of fabrics and scapbooking. They are going to be more like a party store. You can get all the decorations, candles, paper products ect.......all in one area for each holiday and special event.
I'm not happy because I like to get some scrapbooking supplies there because its cheaper and I get a discount.;)
HTH
Kelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We were told a couple of months ago by our store manager that they would be discontinuing fabrics in some stores, but not all. It is usually based on volume , like with our store we sell a ton of fabric and there are no plans as of now to stop selling it. Our scrapbook section is also marked down, but the last couple of years that is how they did it, marked down a ton of things and brought in all new stuff. I can't speak for all of the stores, I only know what we were told and each store is different. I know they try to keep the stores suited to the community they are in, to a point, but I hope they don't do away with the department totally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

We just got a brand new store and they scaled back on the fabrics but as of a couple days ago everything was still there. The fabrics, crafts, scrapbooking is just as it was the first day they opened. I wonder if it is not going to be a regional or based on sales type thing.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 05:05 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks to the people who work at Wal Mart who responded and to everyone else! Looks like it may be nation-wide judging from your states--Texas, New Mexico, Montana, New Hampshire and I'm in Florida.

What a shame....now I won't have anywhere to hang out while DH shops in the automotive/handyman/manly man areas.

PS: Yep. Saw 'em with my own eyes. Primas large and small at Target!

Take care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 05:30 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Well, better I read this today, before my trip to WM. (I had a crazy moment and said I wouldn't spend on crafts in April...less than a day away!) Thanks for the heads up--I'll have to browse the read tags.
God bless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 05:40 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penascodragonfly
I was in our WM yesterday and the lady in the facric section asked me to sign a petition to keep the fabrics because they want to bring in crafts such as stamping and scrapbooking!:eek: I declined......:rolleyes:
Our WM is in such dire straits (hey weren't they a band?:cool: )that they now have gone from 24 hour status, to closing each night at 8:00 because no one wants to work nights. Can you believe it? This little town I live in is booming, we have less than 1% unemployment, 28,000 people are supposed to be moving in in the next 6 months from real, cities such as Houston, Dallas, Lubbock, Phoenix....and our WM only wants to be open from 7a.m.-8p.m. Oh brother.
Our W*M is almost "clerk-less"...all self-checks.

What is the "draw" to Hobbs?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 07:01 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Within the last year - Walmart have been revamping their look - and in my opinion not for the good - they are changing the store colors to Tan and white, concrete flooring and no celings - making them look more like warehouse stores than that comfy feeling they in the past presented - the majority of the store Will be discontinuing the craft and fabric sections (HUGE MISTAKE there - they are claiming the products just don't sell???) and they have discontinued their layaway program in most states - which will defiantly hurt them especially at Christmastime - most families count on layaway for those big ticket items! When they put men in charge of running things look what happens!! Us GALS would NEVER discontinue crafts and fabrics!!!! I think they should continue with the crafts and get rid of the Firearms section! Men should have to suffer too!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 07:13 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by AddictedtoStamps
Our W*M is almost "clerk-less"...all self-checks.

What is the "draw" to Hobbs?
There is a Huge influx of people due to a nuclear energy plant being built about 17 miles down the road as well as Hobbs is oilfield country. Drilling has picked up dramatically in the last year. We are 5 miles from the Texas line and there is some kind of HUGE industrial site being built there.
Our WM had the self check stands, but they noted a huge theft rate so out they came!
Proud mom of 2 soldiers-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 09:29 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

[QUOTE=CardLadyToo Within the last year - Walmart have been revamping their look - and in my opinion not for the good - they are changing the store colors to Tan and white, concrete flooring and no celings - making them look more like warehouse stores than that comfy feeling they in the past presented- the majority of the store Will be discontinuing the craft and fabric sections (HUGE MISTAKE there - they are claiming the products just don't sell???) and they have discontinued their layaway program in most states - which will defiantly hurt them especially at Christmastime - most families count on layaway for those big ticket items! When they put men in charge of running things look what happens!! Us GALS would NEVER discontinue crafts and fabrics!!!! I think they should continue with the crafts and get rid of the Firearms section! Men should have to suffer too!!! LOL[/QUOTE]

This is what our new store looks like. Don't like it. We have only one craft store here and a lot of us were looking for Walmart's craft section to give the other store competition. How disappointing to see the craft section being a few sewing notions, some beads, a poor selection of stickers and some fabric paint. The sad thing is the rest of the store is no better. The clothing and housewares sections are pathetically small. The idea of putting a store here was so we wouldn't have to travel over 100 miles to shop WM. I think a lot of people are still making the trip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I think that if enough of us write to Wal-mart they might be able to keep the craft areas. If we can swamp them with email maybe they will listen. I know that in our Wal-mart some of the things in that isle can not be stocked fast enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

We just got a brand new Walmart w/ wide open shelves and lots of craft & scrap stuff. The lady in charge of that dept said they were "trying something new" with our store, no fabric, but more craft type things, including a whole aisle of childrens crafts. I kinda like it so far! They have cool things that the other WalMarts don't have yet, like neat ribbon and trims in addition to their usual stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Meant wide open aisles, not wide open shelves. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I noticed a lot (but not all) products clearanced in the scrapbook isle of my WM. They brought in some new lines a fews months ago and I must admit I was far from impressed. Sadly, we have very little competition so I'm curious to see what our store does!

My Gallery
and My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

Our Wal-Mart recently built a new store so they could become a Super Wal-Mart and I so miss the old Wal-Mart. We no longer have fabric and we have far less in scrapbooking and crafts in general. We are a small town and Wal-Mart use to be a friendly place to go now it's oversized and not so friendly. One good thing that came out of this is a Scrapbooking store opened on the square in town. As for fabric I've gotta drive about 45 minutes to Hobby Lobby.

It takes as much stress to be a success as it does to be a failure. - Emilio James Trujillo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also work for WM...I am to the understanding as new WM's go up and the old ones get remodeled...they are taking out the fabrics in most stores. Not all stores are affected. My store just had a remodel last yr, so we will have the fabrics til the next one (7yrs). Now for the scrapbook/stamp items. I've not heard anything about that. I hope not. WM has been doing some weird stuff lately..I'm not really sure if it's for the better of the general public or if it's a big wig corp move. But whichever, I don't think it's for the general public nor the employees. It's not as nice to work for WM CORP as it used to be. Working for a store is fine, but not the corp. Too many changes for stupdid reasons. They have made their money...now be for the employee and the general public.
JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a new SuperCenter WM set to open in a few weeks - I will be curious to see what this one ends up with. I was at the SCWM in the next town over and noticed all the items being marked down. I of course took advantage of this as well as Target's clearance. I will say I got more use of the stuff I bought at Target. Fiskar's hole punches for $2.98!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Giraffes & Laughs

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I got Primas on sale at Target for $2.48 --- marked down from $9.99......

Our WM is phasing out all fabric and crafts......... (Nebraska)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Well the fabric department has been a ghost town at our WM for years, it seems. I never seen anyone there! So maybe it does have to do with sales. I live in a city, so maybe there isn't a market for that here.

But we have *several* great scrapbooking stores in the area, and fabric stores too. I really have only bought one or two SB related things from WM... and they were crappy. I won't be too sad to see it go. Just a little.

I started my GALLERY!!!!!!! I really *am* a stamper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Hmmm.... We just had a Super WM open up late last year (Sept or Oct). They have 2 aisles of fabrics, an aisle dedicated to scrapbooking/stamping/painting, an aisle for knitting/crocheting w/kids crafts.

I haven't been there in a few weeks.... I'm hoping its not changing.

Then again, I do frequent Target more often... except for my craft needs.

I DO know that Target is going to be expanding their scrapbooking section. They want to jump on the band wagon.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just talked to the girl in our crafts dept and she said that she should be getting a display of the cricut and cartridges!! And we are starting to get in our new things for the scrapbooking aisle. As far as emailing, etc, call 1800walmart, or fill out the little flyers they have at the courtesy desk-they have to respond and take care of the issue. Hopefully if enough people complain, the will change back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

i got some flag panels in the $1 a yd section at our walmart a few years ago and could kick myself for not buying more. they have not had them again. bummer. and now to think they won't have any fab at all really sucks- i don't sew a lot but when i do i love the $1 a yd fab!

the card/scrapbooking section leaves a lot to be desired and always has at my walmart. so i wouldn't be missing a lot there. altho i do get a lot of my ribbon there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

We just had a Walmart that was remodeled into a Super Walmart & I heard they have no fabric now. The WM I usually go to still has all their fabric and craft stuff. I heard about the no-fabric at the other WM from ladies at my DS's preschool who don't consider themselves very "crafty" & all of them were SO disappointed about the fabric. Seems like WM may be making a poor move in this area, to me. I think Target's got a better idea. Have to keep my eye out for some clearance Prima's!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #28  

weird...here in NY they never had much of a scrapbooking or stamping section in Wal-Mart but the fabric section was big...now both are dwindling...and Target's is growing! Who knows whats next!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the heads up..now I have to go check my WM out! Hopefully I can find some good deals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingQueenJAR
I got Primas on sale at Target for $2.48 --- marked down from $9.99......
What an awesome deal on Primas!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm in Charleston, West Virginia. I went in to our local Walmart see if they had any Cuttlebug folders. The clerk had no idea what this Cuttlebug was.. and asked me to describe it and also asked what does this bug thing do. She then told me that they will be discontinueing all fabric and such and will be having more scrapbooking stuff.

The clerk told me she was concerned because she doesn't know anything about scrapbooking...

aka / SewCrafty

Old 04-06-2007, 11:27 PM   #32  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I can sort of understand WM letting go of fabrics. Kmart hasn't carried it in forever or at least I haven't been to one that does in years and Target has never carried it that I've known. But with a major surge in paper crafting, why would WM be getting out of it all? Target is really picking up and carrying some pretty trendy and popular brand name lines and WM really has never done that. They have stuff but I think most is their own 'brand' from what I'm seen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2007, 07:12 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Giraffes & Laughs

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am also sad --- found out yesterday our Hancock Fabrics is closing!!! Where are people supposed to buy fabric??? The lady there said she thought they were closing because fewer people sew these days..... Probably true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

My goodness.. what will i do without a craft section. i live in one of those dinky towns with a super wm & 2 grocery stores. (thats it!) what will i do without any craft stuff to buy. the horror! but, i wonder if they are clearancing out all their stuff for newer stuff. I wonder if they are going to clearance their cricket stuff? (those would be some sweet deals on criket!) hmm..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyandellie
My goodness.. what will i do without a craft section. i live in one of those dinky towns with a super wm & 2 grocery stores. (thats it!) what will i do without any craft stuff to buy. the horror! but, i wonder if they are clearancing out all their stuff for newer stuff. I wonder if they are going to clearance their cricket stuff? (those would be some sweet deals on criket!) hmm..

Call your SU! Demo!!!

I started my GALLERY!!!!!!! I really *am* a stamper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Default Down in the Sunshine State (FL)

We have three SuperWM in our area - each one is different - one has lots of crafts/scrapbooking/stamping and the other two don't.
Reply With Quote Likes