Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Change In Michaels Return Policy

Hi-

I just made a purchase today at Michaels and there was a notice written on the bottom of the receipt regarding a change to their return policy. I thought I would share, in case someone had not seen it as of yet. Here it is:

Effective October 4, 2009, our return policy will be changing. Changes to the policy not listed on the back of your receipt are: gift cards and prepaid cards are not refundable, books are refundable within 14-days, magazines are returnable within 24 hours, and technology items (including by not limited to Slice, Sizzix, Cricut Product and Gypsy) are returnable if the packaging is unopened with a valid receipt. Please see store manager with any additional questions.

Hope this helps!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so how are we supposed to know if the Slice, Cricut or other 'technology' item is defective if we DON'T OPEN IT???????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Not sure on that one - that is what I thought of too. I wonder if they are going to make you return through the manufacturer?......?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Personally, I've always had problems returning items to my local Michaels. For some reason the employees at that particular store seem to be very unhelpful (is that even a word?) and unfriendly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Surely defective merchadise would be different.
I'd say this change would affect the 'change your mind' purchases or those given as gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Metalcharm. If it's broke - they would take it back and (worse case scenario) exchange it for another one (hopefully not defecttive!!)

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueInksView Post
Not sure on that one - that is what I thought of too. I wonder if they are going to make you return through the manufacturer?......?????
I don't work at Michael's but I would think that if you want money back on an item then it must be unopened... if it is defective then they would most likely do an exchange for another of the same item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

It's nice that they put "Please see store manager for any additional questions" on the receipt. In regards to returning defective items, I would definitely ask someone about it before I buy those items. I would think that a warranty would be at least a year from purchase date and provided that there is a receipt of the original purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

And when they mean unopened, they mean not altered in any way. They are already putting this into effect with the cricut cartridges. I put a 2 inch cut in the top of the plastic. (There was absolutely no way i could have gotten the cartridge out, or even so much as touched it!) and with a reciept they would not even let me exchange it. I has recieved it as a gift and really did not like it and wanted to exchange for a different one, but no way i am stuck with it because of that and am now trying to sell on craigslist. :mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappingW/SherryView Post
And when they mean unopened, they mean not altered in any way. They are already putting this into effect with the cricut cartridges. I put a 2 inch cut in the top of the plastic. (There was absolutely no way i could have gotten the cartridge out, or even so much as touched it!) and with a reciept they would not even let me exchange it. I has recieved it as a gift and really did not like it and wanted to exchange for a different one, but no way i am stuck with it because of that and am now trying to sell on craigslist. :mad:
Sherry, that is terrible. Could you maybe try another Michael's store? Or how about another person at the same store? I know a hassle, but really they need to exchange that for you.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Okay girls.....here is one for you! Holy night!!!!

I went to M's today to purchase a Cuttlebug with a 50% off coupon. First store did not have any - they called second store and second store put one on hold for me.

Drove to second store. Second store went in back to get CB and brought it out and it was trashed, missing the UPC code and looked returned. Did not purchase. Was only one they had. Second store called third store and put a CB on hold for me.

Big traffic jam between second and third store.....grrr....

Drove to third store. Third store went in back to get CB and brought it out and I purchased with my coupon and was a happy camper.

Got home opened the box and took out the plates. It was used! One plate broken and the other had a die cut image etched in it. All I could think of was the return policy and that they would think I did it! Went directly back to third store (that would be trip number four for the day). They said they would exchange it - oh but they had no more - so I asked if they would get any more inventory in prior to the 9/19 expire on the 50% off coupon. They did not show them coming in. Asked the manager if she could order it for me and rain check me the 50% off coupon. They did and were really nice about it. Probably in their best interest after all of the running around I did because of them today! ;)

So, I played Michael's today, with nothing really to show for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Am I the only one that makes out when returning a 50% off item? Twice they've returned me the full price, even though I have my receipt. If they're so worried about their returns losing money, that might be one place to start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
Am I the only one that makes out when returning a 50% off item? Twice they've returned me the full price, even though I have my receipt. If they're so worried about their returns losing money, that might be one place to start.
That's happened to me more than once- I have always pointed it out to them and gotten the proper refund.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think the policy is more because of the new gypsy (don't know if that was mentioned already)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

There is nothing that Michael's is doing that isn't already done in retail...There are the same policies in effect for every other big box retailer out there that sells electronic items, especially video games and the what-not. I have worked retail for many many years...mainly as a manager(last posisiton ws an asst mgr @ HL). I can see this from both ends of the spectrum as a customer and as a manager. Michael's is getting into more electronic items for scrapbooking...eg. The Gypsy, etc... If the item is truly defective, they normally give an exchange for the same item. You of course would not know that without opening (as a previous poster mentioned). There is a difference however between stomping on the packaging and demolishing everything to get an item out of the packaging...

Many companies get specific guidelines on how and what they can return for credit to the manufacture...if packaging is torn apart, etc...the store may not be able to return the item for credit to their supplier...thus leaving the item to sit on their shelf and the store loses money...as much as these stores want you to think they are there just for you...they aren't. Just like any other store out there...they are out to make money and retain that money any way they can...

I can tell you doing a return at a retail store is a lot like dating or meeting someone new for the first time...A manager decides within the first 10-30 seconds how a return will go...if the customer is nice and polite (not screaming at the top of their lungs) and reasonable...the return will go smoothly...it was like that everytime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESSView Post
Personally, I've always had problems returning items to my local Michaels. For some reason the employees at that particular store seem to be very unhelpful (is that even a word?) and unfriendly.
I had to look and see where you are from, sounds exactly the the M's in Apple Valley MN! I grit my teeth every time I enter the store. :mad:

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think their new policy makes perfect sense! I'm sure that are some people out there that take advantage of stores way too much!
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the update
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When in doubt, ask before buying (manager if need be).

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

If you ever have a problem with a cricut product call them directly. They have WONDERFUL customer service. I bought the software and it wasn't MAC compatible and the scrapbook store insisted that it was and then was unable to return it because it was open.

Anyway, I called Provo Craft and they refunded me the cost of the program and gave me a cartridge of my choice for the inconvenience that I encountered and said that they were working on a MAC version.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I don't have a problem with the return policy, but I do have a problem (in my area anyway) with how gruff and unnice the staff at M's can be. If you get someone who is pleasant and polite, in my instances, have always been new.

I did have a run-in two weeks ago, as I did return a Cricut cartridge as it went on sale the week after I bought it by another $15.00. I still wanted it but I didn't want it for $15 more.

The cashier who was a Front end Manager made a comment, "I don't know about these Cricut cartridges", and I asked "Sorry, excuse me", and she made a comment about the new return policy. I told her that I would be rebuying it but at the cheaper price so unless she could do a price match per se, that I wanted my $$ back and that I would go back in line as she requested to rebuy it. So back to the end of the line I went.

I can understand why people now shop online for cartridges rather than deal with some of the garbage at M's.
Reply With Quote Likes