Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face Uh! Oh! I really did it now!! (kind of long vent)

I have been wanting to re-do the walls in my craft room. One is papered and the other 3 are paneled. Yesterday I decided to tear off the wallpaper to see if I can paint and found that underneath is old, old paneling that has a vinyl type wallpaper on it and it's not even there or I would have just painted or papered over it (the glue is impossible to get off). So much for painting. On to plan B, we went and got new thin plywood (I can't drywall, no patience) to replace the other and on the way home I bring up maybe knocking the wall out between my craft room and a spare room that really serves no purpose other than storing exercise equipment and my son plays on his playstation there too. It has no closet or walk-out window being in the basement. Something that may hold us back is the wiring issue because the wall I want to knock out has 2 outlets and a light switch on it. I was hoping to move my desk over into this other area which is 11 x 12 and that would leave the other area, approx. 12 x 22 for tables. There will be lots of painting to do and some carpet to replace. How does one little project mushroom into a huge project? I want to do it but it means practically re-organizing the whole basement and being torn up for who knows how long!! Maybe we should just move, ha! ha! I do like our house but it chopped up into small rooms.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha- When we moved into our house the faucet knob on the tub/shower broke so my husband was going to just replace it....well, when he was taking off the old faucet, the tile broke in several places, so then we decided we needed to replace the tile....well then the tub looked so old....we decided to replace that. Well now, then the sink and vanity and fixtures don't match....soooooo....ba ha ha . I feel for you and it's not cheap either! Good luck to ya!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Default A Work In Progress!

Wow! It sounds like you've got your hands full, but won't it be so worth it when your project is finished! From my point of view, it sounds exciting (if somewhat daunting) to design a craft room from the bottom up. Look at it this way, you'll be able to choose your flooring, paint colors, room arrangement, etc. and have it EXACTLY the way you want it, instead of just taking a room that already exists and trying to work around it.

As far as having the room torn apart for a long time for construction/renovation, if your craft room looks anything like mine when I'm in the middle of a project, it will just be *business as usual*....lol.

Keep us updated with pictures if you decide to go all-out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlehmerView Post
I have been wanting to re-do the walls in my craft room. One is papered and the other 3 are paneled. Yesterday I decided to tear off the wallpaper to see if I can paint and found that underneath is old, old paneling that has a vinyl type wallpaper on it and it's not even there or I would have just painted or papered over it (the glue is impossible to get off). So much for painting. On to plan B, we went and got new thin plywood (I can't drywall, no patience) to replace the other and on the way home I bring up maybe knocking the wall out between my craft room and a spare room that really serves no purpose other than storing exercise equipment and my son plays on his playstation there too. It has no closet or walk-out window being in the basement. Something that may hold us back is the wiring issue because the wall I want to knock out has 2 outlets and a light switch on it. I was hoping to move my desk over into this other area which is 11 x 12 and that would leave the other area, approx. 12 x 22 for tables. There will be lots of painting to do and some carpet to replace. How does one little project mushroom into a huge project? I want to do it but it means practically re-organizing the whole basement and being torn up for who knows how long!! Maybe we should just move, ha! ha! I do like our house but it chopped up into small rooms.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh go for it! It the long run it will most likely add value to your home and you might as well get alot of enjoyment from it!
For all the other posters, I think we all have husbands who have that "man" thing where they start one small project and it turns into a major project!!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 01:58 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm still on the fence. We haven't torn down the wall yet but had my brother in to give some advice. It looks like if we decide to go ahead and do it, it will mean getting new carpet and new ceiling as we need to move the light switch and re-route the power to one outlet. I just don't know now if I want to spend that extra money, let alone re-arrange other rooms to accomodate the exercise equipment and the son's playstation. Have to think awhile yet on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 02:02 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinnesmithView Post
Ha- When we moved into our house the faucet knob on the tub/shower broke so my husband was going to just replace it....well, when he was taking off the old faucet, the tile broke in several places, so then we decided we needed to replace the tile....well then the tub looked so old....we decided to replace that. Well now, then the sink and vanity and fixtures don't match....soooooo....ba ha ha . I feel for you and it's not cheap either! Good luck to ya!
Been there, too. Our basement bathroom was a dark place to go so we decided to remodel it a couple of years ago. We thought we could just put in all new stuff we had been collecting over time but when it came down to it, we needed to have the plumbing and drain redone. In that process, while they were here, we had the kitchen plumbing re-done. The basement bathroom was not finnished for 6 months. We're very pleased with it now and I am a little jealous as this is mainly the dh's room, the ds and I share the main bathroom which could stand a total remodel but will end up being costlier than downstairs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 04:07 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

You and hubby probably know this, but my only suggestion would be to kill the breaker when you start breaking thru that wall until you are 100% SURE where your wires actually run . I've seen some "interesting" wiring jobs done by do-it-yourselfers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

You know you could always use joint compound and make intentional raised areas and then paint over with a few shades and make it a faux finish. That way you wont have to tear your whole house up.

My Inlaws did this and it looks really cool.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 05:06 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you give a mouse a cookie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I feel your pain...I recently replaced my carpet in my craftroom with laminate flooring...it just kind of snowballs from there. Pretty soon you want to redo everything! Oyyyyyyy! Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplyChristinesView Post
You and hubby probably know this, but my only suggestion would be to kill the breaker when you start breaking thru that wall until you are 100% SURE where your wires actually run . I've seen some "interesting" wiring jobs done by do-it-yourselfers...
Half the wall is already down, as it was paneling so easy to take off, minimimal mess. We will be very careful when it comes to doing any electrical work. We decided to go for the whole she-bang, new carpet in both areas and new dropped ceiling in the new area. So when all is said and done, the room will be L shaped, with my desk in the 12 x 12 area and 3 or more tables in the 12 x 21 area. I decided to paint the walls "Buff" (a light beige) as to lighten up the room as it is in the basement. I will have a ton more wall space and will need to create somethings to decorate the walls, looking towards a couple of large words made from wood or chipboard that can be found at HL. I'm pretty excited but sure wishing it was done. I am having stamp club in 2 weeks from tomorrow so I will need to have most of it done. Knowing me, I will work 24 hrs a day to get it done. I'm not a carpenter so that part will be up to the dh. I will be left with painting, cleaning and setting up, whoopee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Wow!!! You move fast!!! At your rate, you will be done in 2 weeks! Isn't it fun? Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2008, 05:07 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by steph772View Post
You know you could always use joint compound and make intentional raised areas and then paint over with a few shades and make it a faux finish. That way you wont have to tear your whole house up.

My Inlaws did this and it looks really cool.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Too late for that and didn't even think of it. I did this in the bathroom when I tore off all the wallpaper layers and found the walls so uneven it would mean replacing the drywall. I put spackling on in a stucco kind of texture. I was kind of a pain to paint but I got it done.

The craft room is coming slowly along. Alas, the dh had to go back to work this week and has been too tired at night to work on my room. I have been painting where I can and trying to find places for everything so that we can clear the big area to rip out carpet before I paint the ceiling. I am hoping to save the carpet to put in our bedroom and maybe even the son's as it is still in pretty good shape other than a burn mark from someone embossing on my carpet and a snag. It doesn't look like my room will be completey finnished before club. The goal is to get the laminate floor installed in my desk area so that I can put that back in order and then the girls may be stamping at tables on the concrete floor. They'll get to see the vision and then hopefully by the same time next month, it will be completely done. Also in the meantime, I have to start making the dd's wedding invitations as she is getting married on July 26th. Probably should have waited until after she got married to do this remodel but the dh was off last week and we did it on a whim but are thinking things through very carefully to make sure we do it right. I am exhausted but hope to have the painting done by tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Where to do people find the patience to build a whole house?!! It's been 2 weeks since my craft room was torn apart and in the process of being remodeled. We, still, aren't done!!!! Hopefully by the end of this week. My patience gave out a long time ago but not much I can do about it when I am construction handicapped and the dh had to go back to work. So nothing gets done till he has a whole day off as his job is very physical and he's exhausted by the time he comes home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #15  
Vee
Glitter Guru

It really doesn't sound that hard if you have the time during the day. Just dig in and do it. If you have started the laminate flooring, just keep going. If the ceiling is ready for paint, just use drop cloths and get it done. If you do as much as possible, your DH will see how important it is and will feel a bit guilty and dig in also. (at least that would work at my house-hehe)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I moved into a related living home 2 years ago and there were windows covered with dry wall. Sometimes you just wonder what people are thinking???
I moved my craft room from a small 4x4 room this weekend into my "pretty" non used living room. It is so big but I do have a motive...hopefully my DH will get sick of looking at my stuff and remodel my attic for the perfecr craft room.
Have a great day !!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too will be re-doing my craft area in the unfinished basement.

Right now the floor is un-treated cement. Will pits and little holes in it. Very hard to roll my chair around on. But I do have one of those Plastic mat's. But it too has holes in it. (I've had it 2 years now)

Dh and I purchase a New floor for my stamping area. It snaps together.

I looks like one of these type floors: http://www.duragrid.com/indoorstyle.html

I got the color Gray. Cause I am going to paint my walls Summer Sun, Trims White, And touches of Blues. I am also making some cafe curtains.

I really LOVE these color's. They are Cheerful looking.

The next thing is do. Finish all my projects. And then take everything out of the area. Clean it. Prep it. and then paint it, put the flooring in. and then move the stuff back in they way I wish for it to look.

then move all the other stuff in.

This may take me a while, But I am ready for a change. And this will get rid of things I don't need or use anymore.

Good luck on your stamp room!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I am ashamed to admit that I threw a small tantrum last week and told my dh that he had to set up my desk area as I had to get things ready for club and the small area I had designated in the kitchen just wasn't working. Now I want the rest done so that I can get everything in place. I plan to do some major purging of alterable items and non-everyday stamp essentials. I have a white cabinet that I have designated to keep all the little extra stuff in and if it doesn't fit there, away it goes. I think maybe I am becoming more and more OCD by the day. I can't concentrate on anything but getting everything back in place. I am thinking when I am done with my craft room, I will have to start on other rooms to get them in shape, too. We are not planning to move anytime in the near future but if we had to, I would just have to lay on the floor kicking my feet and screaming because we have so much crap that isn't even being used!!!!! Along with getting the craft room done, our daughter is getting married and I am making her invitations, bouquet, corsages and other decorations. Maybe I've taken on too much and it is overwhelming me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

OCD the way you have it is awesome. That's what I tell myself everyday!!! If it wasn't for this crazy thing they call OCD,I would be in a cluttered mess. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #20  
Vee
Glitter Guru

If you run out of projects-come on over and I will introduce you to mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimalcView Post
OCD the way you have it is awesome. That's what I tell myself everyday!!! If it wasn't for this crazy thing they call OCD,I would be in a cluttered mess. Good luck.
I completely agree! Everyone is ooohing an ahhhing that my house always looks so nice. It is only because i feel like i will stop breathing when things are messy!:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

I love my OCD. My home is "clean" and that's the way I like it. I will lay awake at night just thinking about what I didn't do.
Have a great weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Until I get this room done, I can't think about stamping. There are just a few tweaking projects to do, of which none that I can do alone and then it will be done. This weekend is the deadline! The dh bought me 16 old bentwood restaurant style chairs (I believe from a Pizza Hut) from an auction last night and I have been scrubbing on those and tightening screws. I am so anxious and excited at the same time to finish so that I can get back to making cards and enjoying my new room. I hope to have pics to post by the end of the weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2008, 06:43 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

You go Michelle!! Wow, just found this thread and am impressed. I have been working on my room for a while - son moved out in Sept. I painted one wall (not even finished at the top, set up my stuff and started stamping. I wish I had a slight case of OCD because I am so laid back about everything that very little ever gets finished. Congrats on your room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2008, 07:24 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I feel your pain..... I'm re-organizing my stamp space and just when I think I had it all to finish I needed something else then something else and so on and so on.. I feel like I'll never finish!!!

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I had a list of 6 things that need done before I feel like my room is ready enough to show off. The dh finished 3 and then went off to help a buddy with something he needed done. I am so frustrated with him and let him know it. If I had his friends numbers I would give them an earfull too. They are always asking my dh for help and then when we need help they can't do it. Anyone else have this problem? He'd better be prepared to get the last 3 things done as soon as he gets home. I may just have to go on strike till it's done. I'm doing laundry right now, and preparing for the dd and I to start her wedding invitations this afternoon. Then she and I are going to make egg rolls and crab ragoon for supper so I'm not being a slacker. I'm feeling kind of grumpy, does it show?!:oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

FINALLY!!!! My room is done. Here is a link to my gallery if you would like to check it out:

mlehmer's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #28  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

Congrats!!! how exciting!!! I need to get stuff up on my walls....just need to talk dh into it. My room is perfect except the blank walls

ENJOY your new space!!!!

Fan my etsy shop on Facebook: RJY Handmade Designs

Check out my etsy shop: www.rjyhandmadedesigns.etsy.com

Blog: http://rjyhandmadedesigns.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes