Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do You Do It?

I have seen some incredible artists in the SCS galleries and I just need to know, how do you guys do it? Maybe I'm a frustrated wanna-be-artist or maybe I'm in an creative slump, I don't know. I would like to know what comes first, the stamp set, the paper, or the design that's in your head? I want so badly to kick my creative style up a notch, and I want to make WOW cards all the time, but how do I go from here to there?

Thanks,
Donna
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's an oldie, but goody, thread that may be of help . . .

On being "Dirty Worthy" - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for responding. I love the insightful thread and everyone's comments. I'll keep plugging along! Maybe one day something will click!

Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, just a little note...not everything I create makes it to my gallery or blog! ;) I'm pretty sure the same rings true for those that I aspire to be like when I grow up. hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
Oh, just a little note...not everything I create makes it to my gallery or blog! ;) I'm pretty sure the same rings true for those that I aspire to be like when I grow up. hehe
Oh I hear you there Shannon! Lately all I seem to be doing is filling up the recycle bin!

Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
That's what today has been like for me. I must have thrown away a dozen images that I stamped and tried to emboss that didn't come out right. I hate throwing them away, but I'm not sure if embossing powder is recycleable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

you know, and something else to consider is that not everyone is a card maker or scrap booker. i have just recently discovered that i love making name frames; and i'm much better at it than card making *lol* sometimes you just gotta find your niche. other than name frames, i'm still looking for it *lol*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I never notice just how MUCh goes into the trash until trash day and then I see all those that didn't make it! It's a good thing I buy white cardstock in bulk these days!

MYBlog
Designer for Deedee's Digis
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know I'm not one of the 'incredible artists' but one thing I've learned is that I have to start at home. Does that make sense? Start with who I am and go from there. I like simple designs. If I get too fussy or too many layers, I can't see myself in there anymore. I don't really like a whole lot of glitter and glam but if you do, then make that a focus. Start with yourself. Find something that inspires you, movies, books, magazines, the outdoors..whatever it may be and go from there.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I KNOW a few incredible artists and funny thing is that they don't consider themselves to be amazing. I think that is what makes them even more special.

Everyone has their good days (cards) and bad...and practice makes perfect (or at least better than before!)

For my own designing, I find that I often pick the images I want to work with and then find the paper (or create the background) and then color the images. This is easiest for me--so I can make the card all matchy matchy. Of course there are times when I veer from this and sometimes make something I like and sometimes.....not!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Donna.....I think some people just have that kind of brain. I do not. I am a mimic. I always do it a slight bit different; different colors, different stamps, but as for the ideas/layouts....I almost always copy something that I've seen somewhere. That way I can really enjoy my hobby, because I KNOW that I don't have that 'eye' or 'brain' that a 'real' artist has! Hee, hee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This is an interesting thread. For myself, I usually start with an idea with a stamp set (this usually involves what feel I am going for or what technique I would like to focus on)...which usually evolves to a color palette....and then I sometimes look through dp and find matches, if I can't find what I am looking for in DP I usually try to create it.
I am often inspired by fabric and ad advertising. If you live in Canada, have you seen the latest billboards for The Bay....very funky and fresh!

Love hearing everyone's thought processes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyDollView Post
Donna.....I think some people just have that kind of brain. I do not. I am a mimic. I always do it a slight bit different; different colors, different stamps, but as for the ideas/layouts....I almost always copy something that I've seen somewhere. That way I can really enjoy my hobby, because I KNOW that I don't have that 'eye' or 'brain' that a 'real' artist has! Hee, hee!
Ditto! I'm glad I'm not the only one. However, I'm noticing that after a long time of copying I'm able to come up with some of my own ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by prbloomView Post
I never notice just how MUCh goes into the trash until trash day and then I see all those that didn't make it! It's a good thing I buy white cardstock in bulk these days!

Right with ya' on that one, Paula!

*chuckle*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #15  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

When you're starting out, it helps to have a roadmap, for example, use a SCS Sketch Challenge and/or a Color Challenge. I'm no artist but I do find that old adage "practice makes perfect" applies to stamping too. The more I do, the more comfortable I feel and the more I learn what works together. The more time I spend surfing here on SCS the more I learn. Little by little it all adds up. Most people do not start out stamping like a pro.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisavengestaView Post
you know, and something else to consider is that not everyone is a card maker or scrap booker. i have just recently discovered that i love making name frames; and i'm much better at it than card making *lol* sometimes you just gotta find your niche. other than name frames, i'm still looking for it *lol*
You know I agree with that Lisa. I think scrapbooking is much harder than card making, but then again, I have a stamp art buddy who takes the little "French Caffe" containers and makes some wonderful gifts out of them. Thanks for giving me food for thought. Finding my niche has been a lifetime journey!

Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by austamperView Post
I know I'm not one of the 'incredible artists' but one thing I've learned is that I have to start at home. Does that make sense? Start with who I am and go from there. I like simple designs. If I get too fussy or too many layers, I can't see myself in there anymore. I don't really like a whole lot of glitter and glam but if you do, then make that a focus. Start with yourself. Find something that inspires you, movies, books, magazines, the outdoors..whatever it may be and go from there.

Hmmmm, good point. Maybe that's the jouney I want to go on. I think my cards are very structured and I want to venture into a chaotic frenzy. Maybe years ago I use to collage. Now it is so difficult for me to pull different items together. Sounds like I'm sinking into a comfortable life! I think I'll try to come up with the definition of chaotic frenzy and see where I go from there. Thanks!

Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Well, I'm no dirty girl but I do love what I do!! There are many times where I feel no inspiration at all and then I just have to take a break. Lately I have had a great time making videos on my blog of what I create. Believe it or not that has really helped my creative juices flow knowing that someone else will be watching me. I really encourage trying it.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I am not only a card maker but I also teach card and Scrap classes, make demo's, and samples weekly sometimes multiple times a week. I get creative block constantly. And to top it all off I am a perfectionist FREAK. I always go to the magazines. I look at the layouts and then see what I have fits. I don't usually buy for a project, I buy what I like, my style and that makes all the difference to me. My best cards and pieces come from those things I buy, not what I am given to make samples or classes for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #20  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I usually fall in love with a decorative paper, sometimes a stamp set. I look at different types of magazines for inspiration. My personal style would be all like stuff in Stampington. I love the vintage and collage stuff, but I am also a SU! demo, so I have to do SU! stuff too. I have a stamp friend who points out that I need to get outta ruts. When she buys a set (She buys the cutsie stuff) she lets me play with it before giving it to her-for my own good. I normally wouldn't buy an y cutsie stuff at all except for my SU! business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Quote:

Originally Posted by prbloomView Post
Do I here this! My trash is emptied at least once a day and probably should be more than that. I'm buying white cardstock by the 250 sheet ream now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I can't remember where I read this....but hey....let's blame it on Julie There was a thread similar to this quite awhile ago and someone talked about the time it took for them to find their style and grow in their talent and recommended we look at her first cards in her gallery. That was so kind of this person to share that part of herself b/c it showed the progress and WHEW.... they weren't "always" so perfect ! Bless all of you wonderful artists for giving so much inspiration and knowledge!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinnesmithView Post
I can't remember where I read this....but hey....let's blame it on Julie There was a thread similar to this quite awhile ago and someone talked about the time it took for them to find their style and grow in their talent and recommended we look at her first cards in her gallery. That was so kind of this person to share that part of herself b/c it showed the progress and WHEW.... they weren't "always" so perfect ! Bless all of you wonderful artists for giving so much inspiration and knowledge!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. Since I first ask the question, I have received an incredible amount of wisdom and encouragement from all who have walked the plank before me. Thank you ladies. You are awesome!:p

Donna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Slightly off topic but I like others am a little **** about my stamped images so if it is off at all I won't use it BUT instead of throwing it out I give them to my boys to use in their card making. They love it and I feel like it is not going to waste, Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes