Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-25-2005, 07:44 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stamps and pets

Do any of you pet owners find that your pets are *fascinated* with your stamping stuff? I have two cats. One is a perpetual kitten (actually 5 yo) who must explore everything. If I don't empty the mini garbage can after I stamp, he'll knock it over. (Once he was walking around the house with glitter on his nose and face from digging in that garbage can! LOL!) The other cat isn't as nosy, but I have to lock up my ribbon or he'll try to eat it! I love 'em both, but it requires some planning and stashing on my part!

What "pet adventures" have you had?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 07:51 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

absolutely!! I also have two cats, one is 2 and the other about 5 mo. they love to eat ribbon!! and my older cat must lay on everything i am doing like my paper. It is cute, but can be a little frustrating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 07:52 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

My cat is my stamping buddy. I think it's because she knows I'm not going to try to pick her up when I'm busy stamping. She is always right here on the desk laying by whatever I am working on. She used to lay on top of my projects! That used to drive me crazy! But she's finally learned not to do that. If I am scrapbooking though I can't leave my pictures laying around because she will lick them until they're all yucky. Stinker! I always just turn them upside down.

Kathryn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:11 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

my baileycat was playing with my aquapainter just last night! he has a bit of a weight problem, shhhh, don't say anything, he's kind of sensitive! so when i hear him playing with something i'm always happy, thinking he can use the calorie burning! but when i looked and saw my fairly new aquapainter, i wasn't so happy! i also lost one of my 3 cutters for my CM cutting system for about, oh, 6 months or so. finally found it under something in my basement. that is just shaped perfectly for a cat toy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
If I am scrapbooking though I can't leave my pictures laying around because she will lick them until they're all yucky. Stinker! I always just turn them upside down.

Kathryn
I forgot about this! I can not have loose photos anywhere or Benny will lick and chew them. They must be in an album or under glass. I read somewhere once that fish emulsion is part of the developing process and they might smell that. Yuck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:25 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

My two get jealous that I'm stamping and not giving them attention, so they have to lay on my stuff. If I'm careful, I can work while they are taking a nap, but I have to do it quietly - if I wake them up then they are up on the table. The stinkers
Melanie in NC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #7  
Sassy Shani

2 of my doggies are always at my feet in my craft room. The other one likes to be in the living room laying on the couch looking out the bay window. He is my lil watch doggy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

My cats are my crafty pals... one cat in particular has an affinity for biting the paper that stickers come on.. so I guard stickers wiht my life...

Once when he was really young I was making felt flower magnets... just cutting up petals and stacking them next to me... Iolaus ( Yo-liss ) was on the sofa with me and I kept noticing that my stack was not growing, but I was cutting up a storm... so I cut my next petal and sat it downon the stack and out of the corner of my eye I noticed that my cat gobbled up the little felt petal... I could not believe that he would eat felt.. but he did. I was worried that he might get sick from it, but 9 years later he is still just as healthy as ever.

My cats love when I make a bunch of swaps, they like to attack the cards once they are in little plastic baggies... that is a big no no here. they also love to sleep in my yarn stash and that bugs me... so I make sure if I knit something for someone who is allregic to cats that I purchase all new yarn for that project.. otherwise I am sure that there will be some dander in my yarn.... damn cats.

Last edited by outsiderartist; 08-25-2005 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:48 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I think my cats could give a rat's hind end about my stamping/sewing stuff. They usually stay in the room with me, but sleeping, not playing, licking, chewing, or eating anything craft related. The only thing they love are SU boxes and all the packing paper that comes in them!

A.

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 08:49 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I have two 4-year cats - a male and a female. The male (Flannel) will occasionally jump up just to see what's going on -- but mostly to see if there might be something on the table he could eat. When he discovers there's no food, he jumps down and goes away. The girl on the other hand, thinks my stamp area is her personal play station. One night I dropped my dazzling diamonds on the floor (of course there was no lid and of course it fell open side down). Hannah ran over to see what was on the floor, and it just took a second and she had dazzling diamonds all over her long-haired tail (which of course is black). Her favorite toys are the ribbons and daubers. Just to get her out of my way sometimes, I'll just toss one of the daubers on the kitchen floor and she'll play with it for hours!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 09:10 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have a doggie bed under my stamping area for my girl to hang out with me. my cats love to demollish my paper. one one them love to bite my paper. i buy cheap cardstock and pull out a piece at a time to keep her busy so she doesn't eat what i'm working on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 09:40 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Default Minor Surgery needed, lol

Ok, had to jump in b/c this is right up my alley. My old dachshund, Betsy, used to hang out in my stamp room. Well, all those little circles from my circle punches would be on the floor and somehow she managed to inhale one. We had to use a pair of tweezers to get it out....quite an adventure, lol

B~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 09:48 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

These are too funny! Kokanee, the cat in my avatar, likes to lick photos, too. I often wondered why. Both cats like to bite paper and lay on it. I always keep my ribbon where they can't get it and eat it. Once Kokanee bit my new shadow stamp and ruined it. Snot. I wish he would play more as he has a weight problem, too. We're going to get a young active cat as soon as all the remodeling is done in my house. Hopefully that will get all the cats more active.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 11:11 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Helpful Critters...Not

Back when I had a younger cockatiel he loved to do everything with me including stamping stuff. Problem was he would climb down and chew on pencils while I was coloring. Also when I practiced piano he would go and climp down onto the keys and then get frustrated when I was playing and nip at my fingers. I gave him a portion of woven palm leaf that was made specifically for birds to keep him busy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 11:13 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

As puppies, yes, I did get a few teeth marks in wood blocks. Now, the mommy doggie likes to curl up on my lap while I stamp. At my stamp clubs, she has a couple of favorite stampers and will sit on their laps while they stamp. It's funny to see them wheel the chair to get something, then wheel back so as not to disturb the dog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 11:32 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

As you see I have a cute 8 yo black cat by the name of Spook, I purchased a personal table to do my stamping on at our cottage, set it up and managed to cut cs for two waterfall cards, left for a moment and when I came back she was neatly placed across everything. She also likes sitting on tv table and with one swipe of the very strong tail has all my equipment on the floor. They are such joys to have around.

canadian_stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 11:47 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Once my male cat, Rusty, jumped on my stamping table and stepped right in an open inkpad. I took advantage of the situation and used it as his "signature" on a card for dh! My female, Elizabeth (see avatar), could care less. Love the dazzling diamonds story!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

the last stamping party i had, baileycat thought everyone was there to see him. all day long i kept hearing "yes you are a pretty boy", "ok, i'll pet you", things like that. at one point people had moved from one table to see something being done at another, and we looked back and there he was, all his substantial girth, spread out over everyone's supplies on the card table. good thing most of the folks were at least cat tolerant, if not cat people. luckily my renal failure cat (chelsea!) stays in my bedroom, as she despises all human beings other than me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 02:18 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a male cat named "Razz" - so named because he torments the other two cats I have. Anyway, Razz steals my sponges. I'll be stamping and he'll be snoozing at the other end of the table. Every so often he'll open one eye and stare for a few seconds. The tail is always twitching. All of a sudden he races in, steals a sponge and takes off. I can't tell you how many times he's done this. It's funny how cats plot their strategy. He's just a menace but I love him dearly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 02:39 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maki (cat) doesn't care about my stamping stuff, but the yarn is a different story all together! What she does that really irks me is when I'm trying to type; she'll nudge my hand continuously! It's so annoying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2005, 10:40 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes

Well I have a cat that Loves! my stamping room.
His name is Sargent Pepper we call him Sarge.

He is always getting into my stamping stuff. I have to hide my uncut Rubber stamps or he will take them play with them.
hOwever I do save some piece for him to play with.

Everytime I get some new stamps in the mail, He wants to get them right away...And I have to hide......

He is my stamping buddy.
Attached Thumbnails
Stamps and pets-sarge-sacked-out.jpg   Stamps and pets-sarge.jpg  

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 12:18 AM   #22  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

My dog, a black lab (Phantom) is almost 10 years old, but still thinks he's a puppy. He likes to lie under the table when I stamp. He keeps a stash of toys under there for whenever he wants to escape the teenagers. LOL.

He's always sticking his nose in my trash. I had to get a mini trash can with a push lid. Goof.

When SU! switched to the brown paper as packing in their boxes, the first time I pulled one of those things out and started to unwind it, Phantom suddenly jumped up and grabbed it off me and ran through the house with it trailing behind him! He took it under the table and attacked it - he LOVES to shred paper!!! He just tears it and tears it. He's so funny.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 01:20 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

posted by binmar
...my older cat must lay on everything i am doing like my paper
My cat does the same thing. If she feels I'm not giving her enough attention, she jumps on the table and lays smack dab on whatever I'm working on, even if there's enough space on the side of the table for her. I basically give up working on the project until she wakes up ;) As she's nearly 10, I doubt I'll break her of the habit now. She has me well-trained :p

She's also scared the heck out of me a couple of times when she's jumped on the table when I'm using an exacto knife or have it laying around uncovered:( .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 03:20 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

LOVE the stories! Nancy B. your cat is beautiful!!

My Shadrach - see avatar - is also my stampin' buddy - sort of! His favorite thing to do (seems like a common thing) is to jump on my desk and walk around in front of me - usually when I am trying to type something on the computer so I can't see the screen. He wants to chew on everything that is in my tool turnaround - being especially fond of the brushes. His very favorite are my big emery boards!

I have a window right in front of me that he likes to lay in and he will climb THROUGH the blinds if I don't pull them up for him! He constantly tries to claw off the window clings I have on that window and he is really aggravated that he can't quite get to the card display I have hanging from the curtain rod.

After he's done wandering all over my desk and surrounding areas he will plop his 15 lb. body right on top of what I am doing and immediately start purring. How can you be mad at a cat who purrs???

He too loves the paper from my Stampin' Up! boxes. We really drive him crazy occassionally by putting just a tiny sprinkle of cat nip inside the paper. Then, he REALY loves it!

On a sad note, last Saturday night a big dog got in our yard and killed our 20 year old outside cat named Puff. Shadrach saw this but we didn't understand why he came tearing through the house and ran under the bed. We never heard a sound. We found her Sunday morning. Yesterday about 4 a.m. I heard a lot of barking and noises in my yard under my study window. I ran to the screen porch to see Shadrach all hunched up spitting and hissing and growling. I could tell a dog was right underneath where the screening meets the wood. He was gone before DH could get out of bed. I love dogs, but ones that are left to wander all night and be in others' yards and kill cats are just predators.

Sorry - I get carried away sometimes!

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 06:58 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

NavyWifeArmyMom - I am so sorry for your loss! Such a senseless tragedy. I lost a 17 year old cat, but from illness, and I know how much pain you are in right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 08:25 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Default Nancy B. love your cat! We have two kittens, 7 and 8

months old, who want to be into everything! The little one is black and looks like Nancy B's. The older one (ha ha by one month) is white with grey/black markings similar to the cat on the Purina box but not the daisy look - she has more of a mardigras (sp?) mask. They sit on the table as I work and want to 'paw' and play with whatever I have out. They will go so far as to put their paws on my hand as I work to try to 'help' me! It's good that I love them and am willing to clean up our mess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 08:42 AM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sorry for your loss

NavyWifeArmyMom,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that you are upset by this!

I know a few months back we had some kittens that had been born outside in our back yard. I got real friendly with them and I named each of them. Well two of them ran away.
and the other two Socks and Hobo stayed.
Hobo was the only one I could touch. and her would come in the back door and I would feed him inside and stay inside for a while. and then he would want to go outside again.
Until he got use to being inside the house he didn't like to leave.
Well anyway my dh and I went on vacation and the girl nextdoor was feeding them. and on the day before we came home. Hobo came up missing.......Still don't know where he is!
But his sister Socks was still around and always begging for food and talking through the back door with Sarge.
Well I missed seeing her for a couple of days and the girl nextdoor came over and told me that she found Socks in her back yard dead!
She looked at Socks to see if she could figure out what happened and she said that it looked like someone had Posioned it.

So now I think I know what happened to Hobo.
How sad............

I still miss his smiling face....

But I still keep Sarge on a short leash I don't want this is happen to him.

Take care and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Default Cheeto the nosy cat

Check out my avatar, this was from my stamping session just the other night. He is so nosy! He has to see what's going on all over the house! He jumped up on the table and laid down right where I was working and almost laid his whiskers on my open Tempting Turquoise ink pad! He LOVES the brown paper that comes out of the SU boxes! He loves to eat paper he will shred it and shred it and chew....it's the funniest thing! I've caught him several times in the middle of puddles of shredded paper towels! He loves to watch us in the kitchen whenever we are washing dishes or fixing a meal...I thought he wanted to be a chef....! Now I think he wants to learn how to stamp too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

NavywifeArmymom,

I'm so sorry for your loss! Hugs to you from my two kitty-boys.

Jeanstamping2, I love the name of your cat (I'm a Beatles fan!) Cute!

Elissa Rene, I love the name of your cat too--Cheeto for an orange tabby, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

NavywifeArmymom - I'm so sorry about your loss. Pets become members of the family, and when they die, they take a part of you with them. Please accept my sympathy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 05:25 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you so much to all of you for your condolences on the loss of our cat Puff. DH had 9 cats when I met him in 1992. Puff was the last one. He cried like a baby in our basement and wanted me to leave but I didn't. We buried her in the yard at the edge of the woods. It was a sad loss. I don't think either of us would handle it at all if something happened to our Shadrach!

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 yr old West Highland Terrier, Sophie, is my constant companion - and stamping time is no different. She has a bed in my stamp area and throws her self on it with a sigh of resignation - she hates to sit still. But she'll wait until I'm done - with only the occasional complant. I have a few stamps with teeth marks from her puppy days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 09:24 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

My two year old cat, Jaspurr is a ribbon eater... and BOY! what a time we have when he eats some of the ribbon. He especially loves my gold and silver cord. It's quite the ordeal when it comes time to pass the ribbon. Poor Jazzy! You'd think he'd learn, but NO, it's an ongoing issue. I have become wiser now and close the door to my stamp room when I have unfinished projects lying around.
He's lying at my feet right now as I type this. He loves to sit at my feet and purr when I'm on SCS in the evenings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 04:58 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I have 4 cats..... 3 of them aren't a bother when I'm stamping.... yet they will go after my ribbons and fibers if they're out of the closed containers I have to keep them in. Then there is Kizzi! I CAN NOT stamp without her on top of the card I'm trying to make or on my cardstock or on my shoulder. She also loves my ribbon and fibers. I stamp at my kitchen table. One night I was embossing a bunch of cards. I had the ep open on the table, went to the counter where my heat gun was plugged in and next thing I head a noise... She was in my ep and it ended on the floor all over the place. She is also my pencil/pen thief. I can not leave one laying around. Have to keep them in a drawer. She will try taking one out of my hand as I'm using it. I know she is the reason I am missing one of my small stamps. They also can't be left out unattended.
As pesty as she is, I can't get mad at her. She is sooooooo cute.
Reply With Quote Likes