Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you ever rate anyone's card a 3?

I just think it's funny - It seems we all rate a card either a 10 or nothing! I could never give anyone's work a 3 or even a 7! "Well, I sort of like this card, but not that much!" LOL!!!

If someone was brutally honest, would you be able to take a 2? Would you prefer a 2 over no comments?

I'd like to say I could deal with getting a 2, but I don't think I could!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 08:36 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I personally don't even like having a rating system. I would just prefer if members left feedback if they want. Not long ago a member started a topic about how another member rated the first person's cards somewhat low, then didn't even bother to leave feedback. This caused hurt feelings with the first person, and this is why I don't like the rating system. In fact, I usually don't pay much attention to what rating people leave for me! I just enjoy the great comments.

Janice

www.cafemom.com/home/VoreisTwins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 08:39 AM   #3  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default a 3?

Ummmm... NO! :oops: I probably would be hurt. I have a card I posted a while back that has no comments. I now know it's ugly! LOL I look back and I think it's ugly. No comment is better than a mean comment. We put our cards up there to be commented on, but I don't know that I'd like to see anything lower than a 9. I know that I for one wouldn't leave anything lower than a 9 even though I may be cringing at the sight of the card. (every now and then lol) If I really like the card I'll comment on it, if not then I don't. I wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 08:41 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

the rating thing is so subjective, isn't it? different strokes, and all that. I might look at it and think, "oh yuck!" and someone else could start CASE-ing it the moment they see it. and vice versa, of course.

--Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 08:43 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I agree about not really needing the rating system. It seems most people on SCS are so nice that they would never give below a 10! I think having the ability to comment is enough

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rating system

The way I rate a card is to see how many people have left comments. I find the cards with the most comments are the best ones. Forget the ratings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 08:56 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've often thought the same thing... I wondered why we even bother since no one on this board would ever want to hurt another's feelings by giving anything less than a 10... so the 10's become meaningless.

However, I don't think the lack of a comment indicates anything is wrong with the work. Sometimes I don't leave comments because they start sounding as trite as the 10's... I get in ruts with descriptive words and they start to lose their value.

Let me just say, I have never seen shoddy work on this site. I may not want to CASE the content of each project (holidays, etc.), but I definitely want to CASE the quality of work that goes into each and every item I've seen on this board. You women inspire me beyond my limits and I truly appreciate each and every one of you! Thank you. You all are 10's in my book!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 09:04 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't use the numbers - I just leave a comment. In that topic that someone else posted I suggest that we all skip the number rating n just leave comments unless it's in a contest.

okay, i really am getting off of here now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 09:06 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I own a site and use the same gallery software that Daven has here on SCS.... the rating system can be turned off. I'm sure Daven has his reasons as to why he doesn't do that... maybe it's because everyone uses it. Could also be the way they judge the contests.

Even if the rating system isn't turned off, I believe you can still enter comments on a card without rating it. Personally, though, if a card that someone uploads doesn't appeal to me, I just don't comment on it. Why hurt someone's feelings unnecessarily?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 09:08 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I agree. I like the comments, but think we should can the ratings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 09:25 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I have cards posted here that no one has commented on or just a couple of people have, but that I can see many people have viewed and it hurts my feelings tremendously that no one says anything. I end up thinking they are horrible even if I thought it was one of the best things I had ever made. Of course...I am a crybaby anyway, so don't go by me....

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to nadine529

I'm one of those people who sticks with the old "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" adage. I definitely couldn't take a 2!

I wish I had the time to comment on all of the really cool cards on here! But if I did, I'd never actually stamp anything!

C'est moi, c'est tout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I almost never rate a card, when I do it is usually because I absolutely love the card and someone else before me had given it a 7 or 8, so I have to give it a 10 to bump the score up! Or, I rate it high if they state it is their first post, to encourage them to post more. Otherwise, I just make comments without the rating system. There are so many cards being uploaded, though, don't have hurt feelings if people don't rate them, it is just too overwhelming for most people! Brownee, I love all your cards, they are all fantastic! My cards are only in the RAK forum as I don't know how to upload (no digital camera, etc) and I was a little hurt that my very first one wasn't rated at all, but everyone has been so nice since then that I have gotten over it! You would have to stay on all day to get all the cards you really like commented on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 09:51 AM   #14  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lately I just comment, no rating.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 09:54 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brownee
I have cards posted here that no one has commented on or just a couple of people have, but that I can see many people have viewed and it hurts my feelings tremendously that no one says anything.
Dear Brownee - One of the problems I have is TIME! I like to jump around looking at as many cards as I can, and I only comment on maybe 3 -5 cards each day. There may be some really fantastic cards that I end up looking at, but in the interest of time, can't comment on all of them.

I think that if someone takes the time to look, your card caught their eye! I take that as a compliment There are also a lot of "lurkers" who look but don't comment on anyone's posts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 09:56 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I think the old saying "If you cannot say anything nice, don't say anything at all" should be the way we look at the cards. I gave a 9 once, the very first card I rated and felt terrible about after. I have never left anything but a 10 since then. If I do not like the card I will not leave a comment. But to tell the truth, I think there is something in every card posted that appeals to someone. It takes a lot of guts to put our work out there for everyone to see and judge, we should all make our best efforts to support each other not knock them down.
I just went back over my gallery and noticed several people left lower numbers, one left an 8 and did not even comment. I would rather you just did not even bother to rate it or comment my card if you do not like it. That way I can think what ever I want. It is very hurtful to have someone leave a lower score and then not even leave a comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 10:05 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Most of my submissions do not get to many comments and it kind of makes you wonder sometimes if your not quite up to par in the creative department....that's pretty much human nature. But I know I'm a beginning stamper too! And I'm glad I have this site to learn from.

I think other variables take place too...Like when you post your card. If you post at 1am...probably not too many people will see it.

I always rate high...and my goal is to comment on cards that have low or few ratings. That way everyone gets a little feedback for their effort.

But still...there's no way all cards can be viewed and commented on..there is just too many of us!!! I'm just glad we have so many cards to view and appreciate.
SCS#5115
My Humble Gallery
"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it"
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 10:25 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Don't feel hurt! SCS has grown soooo much, and there are so many new cards!!! I can't even log on every day, and the days I am on, I can't even get to all the "Today's Additions" cards!!

At first, I would rate many cards a "9" - for absolutely stupendous superb. And then reserved a "10" for the supernatural. Since then, I give everything I see a "10". They deserve it.

I wouldn't do anything less anymore...but if I ever get around to loading up one of my own creations...I would love to get a 10 - sincere or not. Ego stroke!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 10:30 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

To be honest, I have never seen a card that wasn't great. I agree with everyone that there is just not enough time to look and comment on all of the cards.

Justampin' Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 11:06 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I would never rate a card below a 10. And I'd be crushed to get a 2! I can't imagine a good reason for anyone to give a 2. I agree with the rest of you that if a card makes you cringe, simply move on to the next card without posting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 11:48 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Default question

This brings up an interesting question that I've wanted to ask for a while. Is there a way after you rate and comment on a card to get back to the place where you were? Or do you have to start over going into the "new additions" section again.
I would rate more cards if it weren't such a hassle to get back to the page I was on without taking the long way around. If I push the "back" button it doesn't back me up.

Any suggestions? I promise I'll rate more cards if I can figure out an easier way to do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 11:57 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

For the most part I have not been rating just commenting. Sometimes I will rate it if I am the first person to say something or whatever, but for the most part, I dont use the numbers. I like the cards I comment on if i have time to comment and I love the feedback as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 11:57 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

It's funny what people rate. I just posted an ornament and a magnet. I, personally, thought the ornament was really neat, and the magnet is, well... a magnet. Anyway, I have tons of comments on the magnet and hardly any on the ornament. Go figure. Maybe it's because the magnet is a closer view than the ornament, I don't know.

So, it just goes to show that everyone is different. I, too, hardly ever comment on a post because how many times does the person want to hear that someone thinks its creative, beautiful, etc. There are only so many adjectives to use. I usually only post comments when I have a question about a posting (i.e., how'd you do that? etc.).

JMTCW.

Lauren~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 11:58 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Just push back 3 times and it will take you right back to where you left off. Just don't do this if you have added the card to your favorites, it will keep adding it everytime you push back. But if you are just leaving a rating, that is all you have to do. I do it all the time. Like you I do not like having to go back and start all over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 12:05 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to STAMPINSTEL

Genise, Under the back button on most browsers is a drop down box,that has all the previous pages you have viewed, if you go down the list til you see pastday or today posts, whatever it says and click on it , it will take you back to the page you were on. HTH
LASTEL #3810
MY BLOG
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 12:17 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Genise,
To add to what Lastel said, look beside you back button on you browser line, mine computer has a small triangle pointing down there, right before the arrow pointing forward. If you click on this, it will drop down with all the pages you just looked at. Click on the one that says something like splitcoaststampers gallery posts (it may take you a little experimenting to figure which one it is!) and it will take you back to the page you were viewing the card posts on. I think this is easier than clicking the back button three times, or more if you added the card to your favorites and commented on it! Hope this helps!
Laurie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks I did not know about that little arrow or triangle, that is a great feature, I never knew about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 12:31 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

To be honest, I didn't 'get' what the ratings numbers were all about until someone got a low rating and posted about it. I guess I'm not too observant these days! I will leave comments on cards when I can but I think I've only rated one, and I sortof knew the person so....

Mo

Monica Stockton SCS #2687
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alexandria, VA

www.monicastockton.stampinup.net
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/skpupy68
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 12:55 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would never ever give someone a low score of 9 or below!!!! I do not give ratings just positive short comments!

Anyone that gives a low score should be given the SKUNKY AWARD!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2004, 01:35 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I have to agree that the ratings need to go. I always give a 10 & a comment. There are cards I love more than others; however, I would never want anyone to be hurt by a lower rating. We all put ourselves out there by posting our work, why wouldn't we take a low rating personally? I've decided after reading this post, that from now on I will only make comments and not use the rating system.

I also have to agree that SCS has grown by leaps and bounds in the last 6 months or so, and people just don't have time to comment on everything posted. I remember when I could hit the refresh button several times each day and the same cards would come up. Now I have to visit the "last days posts" several times a day just to see everything.

There is something absolutely wonderful about each and every card/project posted. I love all the creativity and heart that goes into each creation. I just can't imagine my day without the SCS gallery. Keep posting girls and I'm sure everyone will continue to play nice.

Hugs, Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 08:35 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I agree with everyone else who said there are only so many adjectives to use. I find I sometimes repeat myself and I hate it. Now, I will comment on maybe one particular thing about the card. This helps avoid repitition.

www.cafemom.com/home/VoreisTwins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 09:02 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

I once saw a card that really needed help. You could tell that she was a new stamper. I wanted so much to comment and make suggestions, but I worried that I may hurt her feelings so I decided not to. Would you leave suggestions and how would you feel if someone left some for you? I look back at cards I did when I first started stamping and think, "Gosh, it's a good thing the stamp police did not see this" and probably would have loved some suggestions.
-Diana

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default Stamp Police?

HAHA. I am glad there are no stamp police or the fear of public humiliation would have precluded my ever sharing a post. I know that many of my early cards were not post worthy, and am even now a little hesitant to post my artwork in the public domain. Sometimes my scans do not adequate reflect how a card looks, and that can certainly adversely impact a critical eye.

I am grateful to others, experienced or not, who post on SCS. Be brave and just do it! There will always be those who may not live by the adage of "do unto others" and once in a while the rating or comments may sting a bit. I now live in NY, where people tend to be a bit more direct than I'm used to (i.e., "hey - get outta my way," or "why would you make it THAT way?!"). While it is always a bit of a surprise when it happens, I am beginning to appreciate the honesty of it and find it refreshing. I needed to thicken my skin a bit, and still do!

But a 2? I suspect any rating that low would be either a personal vendetta of sorts or an error.

I do love to get comments on my artwork - especially ones that contain mention of specific things that the writer likes. The number rating system is not something I attend to at all.

All my best,

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 09:40 AM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

i'm pretty new to this site offically, but was a lurker for some time. i usually dont look at the newly posted cards, but if i am interested in a particular set or theme. as another person said for me it is more of a time issue. i usually look on my lunch break at work and try to view as many cards as i can so have only commented once or twice. i do agree that the rating thing is a bit overdone with the 10's. i have seen many well done "ok" cards with a 10 and it seems to devalue the truely spectacular cards that also get a 10.

i have never seen a poorly done card on this site. several that were not my taste, but they were well crafted.

as far as the constructive criticism, that could be a touchy subject. as a newbie to stamping i would appreciate the tips but another may not. maybe in the submission along with the supplies used the creator could indicate if they were open to suggestions? just a thot.

now i need to get my scanner up and running so i can start my gallery

Elsa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I feel compelled to say something finally. I love this site and the art work is beyond my imagination of how wonderful you all are!!
I use it as a constant source of ideas for my workshops and parties and your artwork even influences my buying decisions.
I sometimes read the forum, but mostly "lurk" on site dreaming and enjoying the 'view' of beautiful cards!
I have never posted a comment yet, I guess in interest of time, but also because I guess I think if theres a dozen remarks you don't need mine~ but each of you needs to know that your work is a delight to the eyes!
I should realize that we love feedback as I usually drive over to a girlfriends to show off one of my latest creations, LOL.
If its been viewed you know you did an interesting job, but I love lots that I never enlarge cause I usually do that just to assauge my curiosity of a technique or color... so even with out a viewing, your cards are loved. Gosh, there are thousands of things to view on this site so if people are new to the site they are just trying to catch up!
If you are not all Demonstrators yet you need to become one. You all have too much to give to your communities with your big hearts and unbelievable talent.
Thank you all so much for your inspiring creations!
Lala
ps hope I did this correctly...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #36  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I just don't rate cards anymore. I hardly ever find one that I don't like, I like them all, and there are all different stampers out there.. some are beginners and some are experts, so I just quit rating all together!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 11:48 AM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to start leaving off rating when I comment on a card. I figure if I like a card enough to bother making a comment, it's got to be a card I think is great!
I don't think a rating is even necessary for the contests. It could be as simple as the card with the most comments is the winner. As it stands now, dozens of people could give a card a 10, and one person can come along and give it a 9 and eliminate it from the running. That doesn't seem right to me.
The ratings aren't useful, and have been the cause of hurt feelings in the past. So, if I comment on your card and don't leave a rating, you'll still know I think it's exceptional!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 12:42 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Ok, I admit this is far-fetched, but it is the truth. When I first started looking in the gallery and noticing that there was a way to rate them, my thought process went something like this:

Surely we're not supposed to rate whether we like someone else's card. Oh, I guess this is like on music-sharing sites where you rate according to your favorites so you can find your favorite songs faster.

So I don't remember how many I rated or how low I went, but under that thought process it made no sense to make them 10s. For a scale of 1-10 to work, something has to be a 1 even if you really like it. I just thought that among my favorites, a 1 would be a great card that I wouldn't refer to as often as a 10. Sorry if I offended anyone back then. I wish I had an ounce of the talent you ladies have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKinAK
Not long ago a member started a topic about how another member rated the first person's cards somewhat low, then didn't even bother to leave feedback.
This happened to me as well when I first posted cards in my gallery. Someone rated one of my first cards a 5 and didn't even bother to leave a comment. The rest of my cards were rated 10s by other people. I was a little hurt at first, but decided to roll with the punches. You can't please everyone

If you're still out there...Sticks and stones, honey! :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2004, 02:02 PM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

Default Rating system

I think the ratings are unnecessary also. If they are all 10's, what is the point? I saw one today that had a 9, although the comment was very complimentary with no negatives. If it had been for me, I would have wondered why they left a 9 and not a 10. :(
Reply With Quote Likes