Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when worlds collide

Just need to get this off my chest. I sell cards in a retail store and at my husband's office. I charge between $2.50 and $3.50 depending on the card size and number of embellishments. These people are really getting value for their money as most of the cards take 45 minutes to 1 hour to make. I do this for fun-not to get rich. I have to pay commission at the retail store and so the cards that I put there are not as expensive or time-consuming as the ones I put in the office. If I make a "special" card I'll put it at the office and figure I'm not getting paid what it's worth, but I enjoyed making it and at least this way someone else can enjoy sending and receiving it too. Here's where the collision occured. There is this extremely nice lady who orders a lot of my cards and I deliver them to her. I give her a 25 cent discount per card since she orders so many. I make her pretty cards-but with only 1-2 embell. per card since I know there will be a discount. I have no complaint with her-she is a wonderful person. She went in the office and picked out the most time-consuming and expensive cards to make. Then she told the receptionist that I only charge her 2.25 per card. Of course the receptionist took her word for it. You know it's not really the money that bothers me. I feel like my babies (don't you get attached to your best cards?!) have been insulted! At full price they were a steal and then someone has the nerve to demand a discount! Just wanted to vent. I know you will understand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would just let the receptionist know that the cards you make for that lady are only $2.25 per card and if people want those you would be happy to supply them. Otherwise your original pricing stands - all card companies have different pricing depending on the card so why would you be any different. ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:24 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I agree. You have every right to be charging $5 a card because these are unique, handmade cards. Stand by your product and don't get cheated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I agree with the previous poster. I simple explantation that different cards have different pricing and if you are interested in getting a large quanitiy maybe we can discuss a discount.

I would also keep in mind that people who do not create cards don't really have a clue as to the time, effort and money that is spent on making them, so I don't think there was an intent on insutling you and your work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

So sorry for you. One of my sister's sells cards to another sister who doesn't stamp. The stamping sister (1) has let me know that my non-stamping sis (2) has taken advantage of her giving her a discount and likes to pick the most beautiful (i.e. expensive) card and ask for a discount. Sis 2 came over to my house and wanted to buy some cards just as I was getting ready for a craft show. I told her that I would sell the regular cards to her for a $2-3 dollars but some of the cards would be more depending on the card cost (I had not put prices on the cards yet). Sis 2 picked 20 of my most gorgeous cards and wanted them for $2. I held my ground and told her the cost of those cards are closer to $4-5. She whined and even her son told her, "Mom you picked THE best cards, you know she (me) cannot discount those!" Moral of story - people are cheap and will try to take advantage even when they love you!

I would put a price tag on the cards and tell the receptionist that she cannot discount without prior authorization from you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That was not very fair of her to say that. People should just be quiet if they get a discount. If she was to pick out different cards in the card store they are all different prices. I feel for you. Maybe you should let the dscount lady know that she might want to be a little discrete because you have given her a little discount because of her continued demand for cards. Somehow I am sure you could do it politely.

Lorri.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Perhaps you should label your cards more clearly, lol. Cards in this basket, $2.50; cards in that basket, $5.00, etc. I think a lot of people know what they like, even though the might not have a clue as to how much it costs. Me, I am known to always zero in on THE most expensive item when there are no prices shown. It's just a particular "knack" I have, lol.

Clearly this woman has good taste and goes for the best. Don't be nervous about pricing your stuff clearly. And don't be shy about cluing in people who will be taking the money for the cards...they need to know your prices, too, as well as any deviations from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I'd like to think people just don't realize what goes into making nice cards.

Also, I have to defend cheapskates here. I myself am very cheap, I have to be - and I appreciate a good deal. She probably just realizes a really good deal when she sees one. Perhaps she shouldnt have shared her discount, but she must like the cards if she is talking them up to other people.

You said yourself that you know you are underselling yourself and you aren't in it for the money. I doubt she was insulting your cards - otherwise she wouldn't have bought them. I guess I don't quite understand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

There is this extremely nice lady who orders a lot of my cards and I deliver them to her. I give her a 25 cent discount per card since she orders so many. I make her pretty cards-but with only 1-2 embell. per card since I know there will be a discount. I have no complaint with her-she is a wonderful person. She went in the office and picked out the most time-consuming and expensive cards to make. Then she told the receptionist that I only charge her 2.25 per card. Of course the receptionist took her word for it.

You are being very kind. I think the "extremely nice lady" knew she was taking advantage. Most everyone buying even H*llm*rk cards can tell the difference between their 99cent cards and the more detailed, more expensive cards. You were giving her a break, and she still took advantage. The receptionist also shouldn't have given out any discounts, but refered her to you.

Karen

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I guess I didn't make this clear. The lady that demanded the discount is the same lady that I had given a discount to in the past. She knows that in the past if a card was priced higher because it was more expensive to make I charged her more than 2.25. I give her a .25 discount per card no matter the price. If it's a 3.50 card she pays 3.25, etc. Usually she buys 2.50 cards for 2.25. I have explained to her before about the cost of primas (the large ones) and metal embell. The cards are priced clearly on the back of their card jackets. No one else has a problem with this. For some reason now she thinks she gets 2.25 no matter how elaborate the card-I'm trying to believe that this is an honest mistake on her part. I had also instructed the receptionist to give her a 25 cent discount per card, but I guess she just forgot or more likely didn't want to stand up to the lady. There's a difference between getting a good deal and taking advantage of someone. Thank you stamphappy1650. Clearly you understand what I'm talking about. At least this isn't my own sister. I feel for you. Thank you too Karen. You "get it" too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 09:25 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

:lol: (at myself) sorry - well in that case I would just say - oh I don't do discounts any more ... but I can be a bit evil like that at times!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I get it now. It probably was a mistake (I hope). Probably best to put a sign or an individual price sticker on each card, rather than depending on the receptionist or whoever. People are clueless. I do hope you will raise the price of your cards though! Helps the rest of us trying to sell cards as well.

You have a lovely gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Actually, at first I thought she made an honest mistake but now that you explained it -- she knew she was taking more than a 25 cent discount. On the other hand, the receptionist probably was caught in the middle.

I hold the buyer responsible...just make her next batch of cards a snitch cheaper (work wise!) than usual. :twisted: Is that ugly of me?!?!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Slightly off the topic, but still relevant...

So many of you who are selling your beautiful creations are UNDERVALUING your cards.

You are not charging enough!

Think about it this way: what does Hallmark charge for a mid-range card? Add a dollar to that, and THAT'S the minimum you should be charging for your cards.

Anything under $3.50 for a handmade card is not enough. (and $4 should really be the ABSOLUTE minimum you charge per card).

Oops, sorry, I got carried away.

I have been in the card business for nearly twenty years as a sales rep, sales manager and product buyer. Now I am making cards for fun (and hopefully eventually I'll sell a few to my existing customers).

It can be hard to stick to your guns, but give it a try
Reply With Quote Likes