Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Stampin' Up! missing the boat??

I was promted to write this from another thread. Do you think Stampin' Up! is missing the boat by not having regular monthly new releases?? I was speaking with another previous Advisory Board member the other day and we both decided that Stampin' Up! needs to have more exciting releases. Look at all these fairly new companies who release once a month and everyone freaks out and stocks up (I might be one of those ;) ).

I'm totally not dissing Stampin' Up! In fact I'm very loyal to them being an Advisory Board Alumni myself. Just wanted to get your opinion.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would love to have a Stamp Set of the Month like CTMH - that would be great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think so....they have all the releases I can handle! I think their "MO" is creating some anticipation, and they are a much larger company and better established in the market than some of the "newbies". I think if I were starting a stamp company, then a monthly release would be a good way to build up a business from scratch. I don't even check all the new monthly releases, unless something really catches my eye in the gallery. It's overload for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberupView Post
I would love to have a Stamp Set of the Month like CTMH - that would be great!
Yes! I would love something like that, too. Or even an exclusive accessory, etc. It doesn't mean they have to discontinue it after each month but they could debut something new. That's all I'm asking for.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

They are gravitating towards that in a way....since they have two catty's in a year plus the two minis, that's a quarterly release schedule with two of those being huge releases.

I'm not sure that they'll ever go to a release each month...that would take an insane amount of planning and advertising for every demo to get ready each month.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by krabearkubView Post
They are gravitating towards that in a way....since they have two catty's in a year plus the two minis, that's a quarterly release schedule with two of those being huge releases.

I'm not sure that they'll ever go to a release each month...that would take an insane amount of planning and advertising for every demo to get ready each month.
From an insider point of view I know that they have the capability to handle it. I've heard of some things that they had in the making two years ago and I am still waiting................ patiently.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not a demo and LOVE Stampin Up stuff!

That said, they are WAY TOO TOP-HEAVY in the floral department!
I want stamp sets other then flowers. I think they need to diversify a bit to continue to succeed. In the last 1-2 years I find myself spending my stamp dollars elsewhere to get some variety.

That's my 2-cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Kurtis,

I just wanted to tell you I clicked on your watermark tutorial link and WOW! You did a terrific job of explaining how to create a watermark. I fond your tutorial very helpful.

Thanks for sharing that!

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I think that Kurtis is right on the money...if you add on their "specials" that they offer SU! does have something to offer either new or at a discounted price almost every month.

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not all that crazy about monthly releases but I do look forward to the mini-catalogs/sales. I would like to see perhaps monthly specials with emails to customers. Not all Demos send out info about the sales so if SU! send me the notice I wouild contact a Demo for the info.

The sales could be based on a color family, embellishments, punches or templates, now that would be a fun shopping spree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The thing about the minis is that they offer several new releases in them at one time instead of 1 a month. I love the minis and I would not like a new release every month by SU. It would be to hard and many stampers get very excited about the mini coming out, I know I would be one that would lose interest in 1 new release every month. I like a bunch of them at one time.
I also presented this question to a 6 gals by quick phone calls from my SU Stampers 10 group. Only 1 out of 6 thought a monthly release would be "kind of cool" as she said. Everyone else said they love the mini catty with the new releases and want to stick with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:12 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I believe Stampin' Up! is missing the boat, but not because they don't do monthly specials. I've been a hobby demo for 4 years and it has gotten hard to get exactly what I want at an affordable price:

Increase in prices on virtually are their products (and since shipping is based on product price even higher overall purchase price)
Increase in minimum shipping charge and no break for large orders
Only offering selected colors in accessories

These are just a handful of things that have been getting to me over the last couple years. I doubt I will continue with SU! much longer and devote my money elsewhere...

JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I was an SU demo for 5 years and left because I fell in love with unmounted stamps. Personally, I feel SU is missing the boat by not offering an unmounted option. I know I don't have to mount the rubber but I think it's hard to justify the cost of wooden blocks I won't use. I really don't understand why it would be such a difficult thing for them to do,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I think he is right on target here. As a demo, I don't really want more releases. I would like more diversity in the catalog. Perhaps more outline/water coloring images like Thoughs of Father, Morning Glory and Seaside. I have to purchase these elsewhere since there are so few in the SU catalog and minis. Also more military stamps. There are thousands of military families that are preserving memories in scrap books, I think SU is really missing the boat on this. I, for one, has 2 sons in the military and would love to have more stamps to use. The current set is the first one since I became a demo 14 months ago! And there really are not many to be had elsewhere. If they were married, there would be 3 women making scrap books and wanting stamps.
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystampsView Post
I don't think so....they have all the releases I can handle! I think their "MO" is creating some anticipation, and they are a much larger company and better established in the market than some of the "newbies". I think if I were starting a stamp company, then a monthly release would be a good way to build up a business from scratch. I don't even check all the new monthly releases, unless something really catches my eye in the gallery. It's overload for me.
well said...

i totally agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

As far as when SU releases new things, I'm okay with how they're doing it now. I certainly wouldn't want them to start offering things for only a month's time because I can't buy from them every month. If they simply released something new every month, but still continued to offer it after a month, I'd be okay with that. I didn't think I'd like the big catty coming out twice a year, but now I see that it's a great idea.

The areas where I think SU is missing the boat is what's already been mentioned - product selection. I completely agree that there's way to much floral going on. I am a scrapbooker first, cardmaker second, and I scrapbook pics of my two boys. Try finding patterned paper or scrapping kits without flowers and that are appropriate for boy pages. In fact, I don't even care for the samples of the scrapped pages in the catalogs any more. What they showed five years ago is more my style. I also agree about the ribbon selection. So many of my favorite colors do not have ribbon that matches (yes, I know I can dye my own, but I'd rather just be able to buy the color I want)

I hate to say this, but while I will always be loyal to SU for certain things such as the cardstock and matching inks, I'm really considering looking elsewhere for my scrapbooking needs. I was looking at a CTMH catalog the other day, and their style is definitely geared more toward scrappers. I really miss the great scrapping stuff SU used to sell.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that SU doesn not NEED to do monthly releases. They are not a new company, and the products sell themselves, for the most part. I am a demo, and am not afraid to speak freely on this subject, because I have given my two cents worth to SU about the issue of clear stamps! They sooo need to go there I have a lot of customers who are really getting into the clear stamps! There are also several companies out there that are producing really great quality clear stamps. I don't think that they can continue to say,"we can't get a quality image" with clear stamps because KSS and PTI certainly do! I also think that people are sick of cutting there stamps! That is my customers biggest gripe! A few of my customers will only order from the mini's now because they know they don't have to do any cutting!
Those are the areas that I think that SU is "missing the boat" on. JMHO!

I design for Heartfelt Creations,
The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
As far as when SU releases new things, I'm okay with how they're doing it now. I certainly wouldn't want them to start offering things for only a month's time because I can't buy from them every month. If they simply released something new every month, but still continued to offer it after a month, I'd be okay with that. I didn't think I'd like the big catty coming out twice a year, but now I see that it's a great idea.

The areas where I think SU is missing the boat is what's already been mentioned - product selection. I completely agree that there's way to much floral going on. I am a scrapbooker first, cardmaker second, and I scrapbook pics of my two boys. Try finding patterned paper or scrapping kits without flowers and that are appropriate for boy pages. In fact, I don't even care for the samples of the scrapped pages in the catalogs any more. What they showed five years ago is more my style. I also agree about the ribbon selection. So many of my favorite colors do not have ribbon that matches (yes, I know I can dye my own, but I'd rather just be able to buy the color I want)

I hate to say this, but while I will always be loyal to SU for certain things such as the cardstock and matching inks, I'm really considering looking elsewhere for my scrapbooking needs. I was looking at a CTMH catalog the other day, and their style is definitely geared more toward scrappers. I really miss the great scrapping stuff SU used to sell.
I agree with this 100%. As a scrapper with a son, there is not a lot to offer. I love the cardstock and inks. However, they really need to diversify and get more boy oriented things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mherbst1View Post
I agree with this 100%. As a scrapper with a son, there is not a lot to offer. I love the cardstock and inks. However, they really need to diversify and get more boy oriented things.
Totally agree!! I have three boys and feel your pain!

The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:43 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
From an insider point of view I know that they have the capability to handle it. I've heard of some things that they had in the making two years ago and I am still waiting................ patiently.
Oh, I know that SU itself could handle it...just not sure that the Demonstrators could. I know that my Momma would drop her demoship instantly if she had to promote stuff like that to make her sales.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColettaView Post
Kurtis,

I just wanted to tell you I clicked on your watermark tutorial link and WOW! You did a terrific job of explaining how to create a watermark. I fond your tutorial very helpful.
I'm so glad that you found it helpful! The last one that I did went so fast that some people got lost and I hope that they can follow this one better.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh, I know that SU itself could handle it...just not sure that the Demonstrators could. I know that my Momma would drop her demoship instantly if she had to promote stuff like that to make her sales.
YES! If I had to market new releases every month I would be saying bye-bye to SU too! Too much work for not enough money!

The Stamps Of Life
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm kind of tired of the monthly releases. I can't keep up with all of them and it's way overdone now.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm way overwhelmed with all the monthly releases from smaller companies. I think SU is doing fine with the releases they have. Monthly releases would be way too much for demos.

I do think they need to offer less floral and more boy oriented stamps and scrapbooking products. Well... they need more scrapbooking products in general, too.

I do think they need to offer unmounted stamps. But if they ever went to clear stamps, I would no longer be a SU customer... at least not for stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #25  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

I think you have hit the exact issue! The other companies don't have demos that have to purchase the sets in order to sell them. They can put out a release that only involves previewing a few sets to "design team members" and showing a picture on the internet page.

For SU, it would require some sort of flyer or addition to the catalog, and the demos would be distraught bc they would feel they had to purchase a new set each month. The implications are huge! The minis do exactly what they need. It offers a way to keep things fresh and allow demos to have both prior warning and choice.

It's also important to remember that SU has been around a very long time and has an enormous selection that they are trying to keep current and "edgy". Many of these companies are just beginning and haven't yet built up their selections. They need those releases to continue to generate interest and advertisement. Hey, it works doesn't it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
I'm not a demo and LOVE Stampin Up stuff!

That said, they are WAY TOO TOP-HEAVY in the floral department!
I want stamp sets other then flowers. I think they need to diversify a bit to continue to succeed. In the last 1-2 years I find myself spending my stamp dollars elsewhere to get some variety.

That's my 2-cents!
I TOTALLY agree with you! I am not a demo either and there are just waaaay too many flowers in the catties by SU...so the other vendors are getting a lot of my $$$ cha-ching! I'm sure they're very happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 267 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Need More Manly Stamps

I have encountered the same thing expressed by most here. I have been trying to get a set of stamps for some Father's Day cards/birthdays. People who have them either hoard them because they are so scarce or want way more than they are worth because they are so scarce. I've finally looked at some other companies so I can get my cards finished. That said, I think SU has only the highest quality products--maybe they just need some new artists and a slightly different way of doing things. By the way, the people on SCS rock! Dianne

Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is preparation for a future that only He can see--Corrie ten Boom
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Ya, you're probably right. Now that I have taken off the "career demo" hat I am looking at things from the customer perspective. I personally "want" new stuff every month. I spend quite a bit every month on Stampin' Up, plus the other companies that have new releases. If you want to know the truth I used to order most of my stuff from SU because I would just wait until I could be the Hostess, now I just order a smaller order because I am buying other things monthly. I hope that made sense.

It's so good to get everyone's views on this. Like I said before, this is not meant to be a negative post about SU, I just wanted to get some other input out there. Believe it or not, it's good to hear what a lot of the customers like and not just the demos, too. It took me years to realize that.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I am not a demo, but I've been using Stampin Up for over 10 years now. I TOTALLY agree with Kurtis' comment. I know my demo was really hit hard with the last retired list and may be unable to continue. I think it's much easier in many ways for the retailer to have monthly new releases. Unless, SU would offer a larger discount to the demo I believe that type of change could cause a financial hardship on some demo's. IMO

My Gallery
and My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
I was promted to write this from another thread. Do you think Stampin' Up! is missing the boat by not having regular monthly new releases?? I was speaking with another previous Advisory Board member the other day and we both decided that Stampin' Up! needs to have more exciting releases. .
100% YES!!
I like the 2 catalogs a year but they really made a big mistake going to only 2 minis per year. I love SU and will continue to be a demo, but they do have to step it up with product release. I bet they realize this soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

I would not like monthly releases but I would like to see the quarterly mini's again.
SU will prevail! They do react to the market and will make changes when neccesary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

[QUOTE=stampingout;9527294] I also think that people are sick of cutting there stamps! That is my customers biggest gripe! A few of my customers will only order from the mini's now because they know they don't have to do any cutting!
QUOTE]

I heard info from the cruise that SU will be all precut by the end of the year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
The thing about the minis is that they offer several new releases in them at one time instead of 1 a month. I love the minis and I would not like a new release every month by SU. It would be to hard and many stampers get very excited about the mini coming out, I know I would be one that would lose interest in 1 new release every month. I like a bunch of them at one time.
I agree with you 100% about why minis are great. I think that a monthly release from SU would be too much, but even with 2 catalogs/year, I still the more frequent mini catalogs of the past.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I agree with Kurtis and he totally rocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

I have to say I like how things are now. I would much rather have the mini's and 2 catalogs a year than one new stamp set a month. I have looked through the catalog SO MANY times, but I STILL see new things as I look through it. I guess I have my own release parties at times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2008, 11:20 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Other companies like Penny Black and Hero Arts who do produce catalogues but don't have the demo network don't really do the monthly release thing either. I wouldn't be into it myself. For one, there is something very nice about having a printed catalogue to browse through time and again and a frequent product update would mean the the catalogues were out of date very quickly. Or you end up with so many extra little supplements that you are always losing them ;-).
I can see where the smaller companies are coming from - they have a smaller stock base and need to keep their customers interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 03:20 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

I spend a ton of money on SU stamps and product and don't think that they need monthly releases. Their marketing strategy is brilliant with the mini catalogs that are only available for a short time and no one knows if the stamps will be available after the promotion!
I do wish that they would have more sentiments that apply to Mother's Day, Father's Day, Anniversaries. Sentiments like "Cherish", "Embrace Life", etc. are just not what I need for specific occasions.
Just my opinion. I will remain a loyal SU customer. I do occasionally buy stamps from PTI and Gina K but I'm not totally in love with the clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 04:26 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love SU!, along with many other companies! While wood mounted is by far my favorite, I would love to see SU! offer other options, like UM rubber. There are a lot of sets I see that I like, but am not sure I would use very often. The cheaper option of UM rubber would probably help "push" me to buy the set. I have recently tried TAC's Creative Cling and think it's fabulous! I just think this would be a great option. I'm also glad to hear that all stamps will be precut in the future---while I don't mind the cutting so bad, it would be easier! I am also a big fan of the frequent mini catty! Question: I read on another thread that the next big catty will be delayed. Is this true? If so, when will it be released? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #39  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Agreed! I do wish they would go back to the old formula of one book a year, and do four mini's. I can't tell you how many expired catty's I now have.
Shout to the Lord, all the earth let us sing, power and majesty, praise to the King!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 05:55 AM   #40  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I agree with a post above. I don't mount my rubber on wood, I use EZ Mount thin. I wish they would offer us the choice and reduce the price of the unmounted sets. I think my sales would triple! So many companies are now giving customers this option.
Shout to the Lord, all the earth let us sing, power and majesty, praise to the King!
Reply With Quote Likes